Start by marking “Rees Howells: Intercessor” as Want to Read:
Rees Howells: Intercessor

Rees Howells: Intercessor

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,682 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Norman Grubb explores the life story of Rees Howells. He also looks at the foundation of the Bible College of Wales at Swansea, perhaps the greatest legacy of his work, and the intercessory prayer that became the hallmark of Howells, impacting as it did on national policy and international affairs.
Published January 1st 2001 by Lutterworth Press (first published January 28th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Rees Howells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rees Howells

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotSurprised by Joy by C.S. LewisThe Heavenly Man by Brother YunNo Compromise by Melody Green
Best Christian Biography/Autobiography
17th out of 113 books — 76 voters
Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVIDark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross
Roman Catholic Reading
183rd out of 292 books — 158 voters

More lists with this book...

James Seawel
This book blew me away and stretched me spiritually like none other. It's an old book that would likely not be a best-seller in today's get-rich-quick health-and-wealth teachings passing as the Gospel. This is a true man of God who gives the whole of his being to following and serving Jesus. This is not your book if you're looking for a "be happy, healthy, wealthy, and popular by following these 7 steps" kind of books. If you're ready to go deep and be challenged, check this book out.
Emily
Rees Howell's story has definitely made my "top impacting reads of a lifetime" list.

This book came up in a friend's goodreads feed about six months ago, and I added it to my list. Prior to that, I'd never even heard of Rees Howells. Several months after adding the book, I sensed that I should read it. The day after I placed my order on B&N, I was at a friend's house and she asked me, "Did you ever read the biography of Rees Howells?"

Norman Grubb's account of Rees Howell's life inspired, cha
D
Rees Howells committed himself to be a follower of Jesus Christ during the great Welsh revivals in 1904 and 1905. He was given a particular gift of intercession resulting in miraculous and near-miraculous deliverance of persons, families, communities, and even political situations. His degree of devotion was intense, and characterized by asceticism and Christian mysticism. He and his wife traveled to several continents in his desire to make manifest the presence of the Holy Spirit among those wh ...more
Honeybee
This is a must-read, if you want God to take you to a higher level in prayer. Rees Howells was an ordinary guy--what we'd call a blue-collar worker--but God used him to do extraordinary things, as he surrendered himself to the Lord's will. See how the Father healed, witnessed, raised money and even directed WWII though this man of faith. I cried and laughed and just sat in awe more times than I can count. It has enhanced my prayer life and changed my expectations of how God uses men and women of ...more
Andy Hickman
Significant book in my life. (Rees Howells: Intercessor by Norman P. Grubb)

"Even the normal pleasures of the world had no attraction for him." Chapter 1 pg. 15
"Everything of this world was rough, but everything about HIM, so holy, pure and beautiful." Chapter 3 pg. 29
"I had never seen that He must live in bodies, as the Savior lived in His on earth." Chapter 5 pg. 39
"If you can't be willing, would you like Me to help you? Are you willing to be made willing?" Chapter 5 pg. 45
"guided praying with
Paul
Drawn to it's title.

I first read comments from other readers and was surprised how well it was recommended. I have read several Andrew Murray's books and noticed they were contemporaries. I have to say this biography will be something I will refer to quite a lot in the future. I'm sure some will say the practicality of such a biography is pretty out there but is it? Rees Howells was a seed sowing servant of God. And set an example that I certainly can admire. After reading I had to ask myself co
Amber Fuller
Rees Howells surrendered all to live out the call of God on his life. This book had a powerful impact on me as I read and learned and "saw" through Rees Howells' life what it means to be sold out completely and to live your life for an audience of One. This is a must-read for those on a path of spiritual growth.
Jon Dowler
If you've ever wanted to learn of the life of prayer and or what is meant by the term prayer, this is an awesome resource. The life of Rees Howells was a life supernaturally lived through the power of prayer. God was never early, but He was never late.
Alan Jones
An essential work documenting the life of an ordinary man prepared to do anything for an extraordinary God. From the Welsh Revival to the failure of Nazi power, God can use any man to influence history.
Mike Knox
Tells of God’s work in the life of Rees Howells to save him and make him a mighty intercessor. Some of the stories are hard to believe, but, with some allowances for embellishment, they are undoubtedly true.

Much of his life seems a bondage to me, but no doubt it was joy to him. Howells claimed to hear the Holy Spirit speaking to him in a very real way. He would be asked to do things or not do things (like wear a cap) that seemed very strange. In interceding for people, he would often embrace th
Mikejencostanzo
Melissa
This book left me with mixed thoughts. Some of the theology seems unsound -- not biblically based. There are several stories that don’t seem to ring true with God’s character -- in particular, Rees Howell’s story of total surrender to God. Howell's account sounded as if God somewhat high-handedly forced him into surrender. While God has the power to do that, it is agaist his nature. He gives us free will, and is never pushy with his children.
Also, the book speaks of an incident when a man refuse
Matthew
This book was very challenging. For one barely at the start of the journey -- better to say hasn't opened the front door yet -- it is eye-opening to get a glimpse of a man who had walked so far with God, and how he perceived and thought of everyday things like what prayer and intercession really mean. Intellectual acceptance of the Christian faith is just the first step (albeit one so many already find so impossible to take), and yet, as CS Lewis says, logic is thin and clear as water; it is so ...more
Olamide OPEYEMI
All I can say is that, there are men and there are men. In the vast economy of God's kingdom on earth, there are those who were poured out completely as sweet-smelling offering to Christ unlike their numerous "classmates" preferring to hold back the very thing that makes God progress with a man - total surrender. Rees Howells strikes me so much that I wondered and marvelled at the liberty the Holy Spirit had in working with and through him. I gasped repeatedly in my spirit literally sighing at s ...more
This book was incredible, I couldn't put it down! God has used this book to challenge me deeply and I feel stretched in my faith, wonderful! I'll be recommending this book to anyone who will listen! Rees Howells was an awesome man of faith and I for one want to be like that!!
Carol Macdonald
I am honestly not sure what to think. Convicted because my life sure doesn't measure up to this guy's standard, or concerned that he was a religious extremist? Interesting and challenging read anyway
Amanda Tranmer
Life-changing. A biography of a man who moved mountains because he was willing, because he believed in a God who was big enough. Although the book is a biography, it is just as much a study on intercession and the work of the Holy Spirit. I have been so convicted, inspired and awed in getting to witness God's heart lived out through a man who made himself available in extreme ways to the plans God had for his life, to literally become God's hands and feet, at great personal cost. It is astoundin ...more
Debbi
A classic and long standing favorite on the power and impact of prayer.
One I will always make room for on my shelf.
Julie
My favorite church services growing up were the ones where people shared their stories. This book reminded me of those services, challenged what I believe and inspired me. I don't agree with him on everything, but respect his story.
Jane
I'm not sure how many times I have read this, but it is always timely!
Elizabeth Adleta
Rees Howells pioneered in prayer and his life has left us an example worthy of emulation. Those interested in seeing multiplying movements to Christ would do well to see how God worked in the life of this man whose prayers moved God's hand to change the destinies of men and nations. Challenging and encouraging, Rees loved God and loved men, women and children through God's love. Transformational living resulted from his face to face life with the Father. Anyone desiring more of God would do well ...more
John
An incredible life of faith is unfolded in this book. Experiencing life as a son of missionaries, there is much about the culture of this book that I understand. For the modern-day reader, I'm not sure how palatable the experiences described in the pages of this book will be accepted. There were times that I had to scratch my head in bewilderment as I read. But, I was challenged anew with the desire of the LORD to answer the prayers of faithful people. I also was challenged to be open to burdens ...more
Allen Hamlin
I was given a copy of this book by a friend who learned that I was moving to Wales--Rees Howells being a Welsh minister of some significant impact.

I found this biography a surprising and refreshing tale, which--rather than humiliating me about the mediocre quality of my own spiritual life--encouraged me with the journey of a man who was simply seeking to do what God was asking him to do.

You can read my full reflection on my blog:
Paul
His phrase of "gained the place of intercession" seems to mean that he gained authority to pray in a victory in that area. After I figured this out, the story made more sense. Overall, this was a great biography. I was surprised that the "revival" wasn't more dynamic, while also surprised at how much influence he had through prayer regarding Hitler. His journey to faith was often through finances, which is a very concrete way for us to grow so I enjoyed that.
Suellen
This is a pretty good book. I read it because my book club picked it. I wouldn't have read it on my own, nor would I recommend it to anyone. But all in all it was a pretty good read.
Allen Steele
The late pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel recommended this book. It was an awesome book the way the Holy Spirit wants to work in our lives. Rees Howells was truly a man of God who listened to the Spirit's prompting. I learned a lot about what it takes to be an intercessor, and I stand in awe. For Rees's faith, and the power of the Holy Spirit. " Greater who is in you than is in the world "
Timothy L.
I loved this book. I think the story is a bit embellished (this author has admitted such) but we can learn a great deal from the story of this guy who pressed into the spiritual discipline of pray. I think the greatest value of a book like this is to see a guy who was just common, but yet he was extraordinary in his duty to prayer. I would highly recommend this book.
Otescia Johnson
This book absolutely changed my life. Rees Howells' walk with God changed the way I view my own relationship with Christ. The wisdom and selflessness that are poured out in this book often help me when I am faced with difficult situations. I recommend this book to anyone that desires to deepen their relationship with God and discover a deeper level of faith.
Mark Zellner
This book tells the life story of a highly unique and inspiring man who brought deep spiritual change during the time of the Welsh Revival. The principles of prayer, intercession, and sacrifice that are illustrated through Howells' live are poignant and powerful. Outside E.M. Bounds, it contains some of the most inspiring thoughts on prayer I've ever read.
Jeff King
Great book about an amazing man. The life and events of Rees Howells changed the world and I found it interesting to read his story and see how he was transformmed during his life. I also found the area that spoke about the scool he founded in Wales and the impact it had on WWII inspiring. I would recommend this book to everyone.
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Hudson Taylor
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • No Compromise
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Abide in Christ
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
  • The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer
  • These Strange Ashes
Norman Percy Grubb was a missionary statesman, writer and theological teacher.
More about Norman P. Grubb...
C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer Continuous Revival Key to Everything God Unlimited The Law of Faith