Start by marking “Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)” as Want to Read:
Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)

Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle #4)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  4,296 ratings  ·  73 reviews
While dealing with internal unrest, Picti and Saecsen menaces, and the need to defend Gwenhwyvar's Irish homeland, Arthur strives to unite his feuding warlords and win peace in the Isle of the Mighty, thereby achieving his greatest honor--the title Pendragon. 25,000 first printing.
Published October 1st 1994 by William Morrow & Company (first published September 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pendragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pendragon

Suzanne
p. 224 "Fear is man's first enemy, and his last. Hear me now; I tell you the truth: conquer fear and your reward is assured."

p. 317 "To be alive to the wonder of the commonplace, that is the very gift of a wildly generous Creator, who ever invites his creatures to contemplate the exuberance of his excellent handiwork. There is a deep and abiding joy and work in this worlds-realm, and we who toil through our lives do often forget this, or overlook it. But look, it is all around! Ceaseless, unrele
Jessi
Ah, it feels so good to finally get this off my currently reading list. Actually, back when I first started this book, I only read the first 5 or so pages. Then I got distracted by other things as happens so easily. A month or so ago I started it back up right from the beginning.

I will say honestly I didn't have high hopes for this book because Arthur, the previous book, was so much more based on the logistics of war rather than on characters. Despite that, I really enjoyed this book; although,
Brad
Good. Highly entertaining. This book is fun (and better than Arthur) for a number of reasons:

1) It is narrated by Merlin, who is clearly Lawheads favorite tool for narration (for obvious reasons)

2) It goes further into actually displaying the courage, strength and leadership of Arthur. It also does a magnificent job of displaying leadership in difficult situations.

3) Guinevere (I can't remember how he spelled it!) was amazing. She was such a fun colorful, strong and rich warrior queen character.
Meghan
At first I was disappointed, as the story seemed to be a retelling of the "Arthur" book, just from Merlin's point of view. It was, in a way, but it also told of many other adventures, particularly the story of the invasion of Britain by the Vandals. I ended up liking it better than "Arthur," so don't be put off if it starts off slowly for you. :)
Laurie
Suzanne
Read previously, and adore this series, but got caught up in another series I haven't read in forever...so the rest is on hold for a bit.
Scott Lake
The series to me should have ended with Arthur.
Gabriel Wallis
Sep 27, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabriel by: Rick C. Leiviska
Shelves: 2014, favorites
Pendragon was another story about King Arthur. It took a look back at his earlier years in life. Such a good book and an excellent series! To me, it's like reading an Old Testament story from the Bible. The battles are immense, the devotion of King Arthur and his men to Christ is unbounded, the wisdom of Merlin is straight from God... All of it was just soaked with God. Why can't there be more Christian authors like Stephen Lawhead, who write about realistic struggles? Lawhead doesn't shy away f ...more
Maria
Este é o quarto livro da saga sobre a lenda arturiana do escritor Stephen Lawhead. Depois de ter lido a trilogia (Taliesin, Merlim e Artur), decidi continuar a ler sobre Merlim e Artur, seguindo para Pendragon. Apesar do ciclo ter ficado fechado em Artur, Pendragon dá-nos a conhecer algumas histórias que não aparecem (ou que não têm tanto detalhe) no último livro da trilogia. Há mais detalhes sobre a vida de Artur e sobre algumas das batalhas, dando-se especial destaque às batalhas com os Vândal ...more
Lana
Finally i get to really enjoy a book in this series and am not at all disappointed. Merlin meets Taliesin in one of his awens and he gets reminded that he is first and foremost a bard of the old school and that he has to go back to his roots and Merlin remembers that his work is not that of a warrior but one he has a duty to carry out on his harp and not through his sword! His druid leanings are in the forefront and i also enjoyed the healing through herbs and other natural means used when the p ...more
Michael Davies
I love this series. It draws upon a rich backdrop of Arthurian and Atlantean mythology. This is placed in a well researched historical and cultural context that adds depth to the world which you are reading. Add to this well thought out characters and you have the recipe for success.

The fourth book in the series focusses more on Arthur as King, but it's not just a repeat of past tales. It is something unique and thoroughly enjoyable. I've re read the entire cycle many times and will do so again
Etienne02breton
Très bon livre encore une fois dans cette série, fidèle au modèle des autres. Cette fois on retourne un peu en arriève, par rapport à la chronologie du troisième, pour revivre les aventures d'Arthur. Les personnages sont sensiblement les mêmes et tout fonctionne bien. Seul reproche, qui je crois fait un peu partie du style de l'auteur, un rythme un peu lent tout au long du livre, mais avec une finale bien rapide et toujours aussi excellente. Bref, si vous avez aimer les trois premiers tomes, vou ...more
Cinnamingirl
I started this hoping for some resolution to the end of Arthur, and so far I'm about 30 pages in and it seems to be mostly retellin of things that happened when Arthur was young, before he became the king or even the duke. It's kinda boring because most of the stuff is just more detail about things we already know... Hopefully it gets more interesting.

Then I got to the part where it was literally word for word the same, and I almost put it down entirely. I managed to finish it, and it wasn't bad
Todd Stockslager
Book Four of The Pendragon Cycle, in which Lawhead doubles back and retells more of the story of Arthur that wasn't told in Book Three.

The stories are told through Merlin's voice this time, and are more interesting than those in Book Three, but the whole thing smacks of stretching out the series to enhance the royalties.
Gabor Nyiro
Much better than previous book of the cycle. Finally narrated by Merlin instead of Bedwyr. This is so good, because Merlin can see the story from better point of view than a servant (Pelleas), or a fighter (Bedwyr).
More adventure, more happening. Less battle, and less religious event.
I like it!
Cher
The Arthur cycle has always been one of my favorites, making me feel that there is some significance in the stories. Stephen Lawhead has done a masterful job of making the mythical(?) King Arthur live. I can hardly wait to go on to reading about the grail.
Rusty
This is a good read that focuses on one aspect of Arthur's reign, namely his conflicts against the barbarian Vandals and against a pestilent plague. Arthur and his men assist the Irish in driving the Vandals from their island only to encounter them in even greater numbers when they return to the English shores. The story begins with Arthur taking his Irish bride and continues through battle after battle and conflict after confict with men who doubt Arthur's abilities and decisions. Told through ...more
Jodi Woody
Book four in the Pendragon series, "Pendragon" continues the story of Arthur, Merlin, and the others. It goes back and fills in some of the missing stories from the first three books. For me was a little hard to go back again, until about half way through. I didn't like it as well as the others, but still such good stories and I love Lawhead's writing style. Am starting the final book right away. I give it f4+ stars, and I know I have given lesser works four, but I didn't like it as well as the ...more
Dee Mellott
After reading the first 3 books,this made Arthur a real person..he was a hero to many..READ THEM ALL!!
Katie Varga
This book is about events happened before or during the previous volume. It is just as exciting, detailed and great as the first three volumes, and I'm still awed by the author's style.
Becky
Of the 4 I've read so far, this one I think is at the top of the list. I enjoy when Stephen speaks with Merlins voice and its sections of story that we might not have known about. Its interesting to see the Celt versions of how battles would have played out and what warriors look like. I still am enjoying how strong the Christian influence is for this story as well growing up on Arthurien legends that are so far steeped in the mystical and mother goddess worship. It has been nice to take these s ...more
Darlene Hull
More great story telling. Love this series!
JC
This book ended really well and I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The book starts out recounting how Arthur became king and I had to go back and make sure that this was really Pendragon and not Arthur as the books overlap quite a bit. While it has a bit of a different perspective it still felt a bit weird at first. The book involved a lot of war as Arthur leads his people and I finally learned what the Pendragon was in this book (I'm sure I could have looked before). I'm excited f ...more
Lisa
This volume expands on Arthur's tale which has already been told in the previous book Arthur. It is a "rest of the story" story.

Britain is in a time of severe drought, which bring the curse of plague. Thrown into this already terrible situation is an invasion by the dreaded barbarian horde, the Vandals.

This book takes you through the hardships involved with dealing with all these challenges.

The climatic battle - Arthur verses the barbarian Vandal king. What will the outcome be? Read it to see!
Jeannie Lee
Pendragon brings into the story our Queen, Gwenhyver. Sooooooo different! But I love it! Arthur needed a Queen who was as strong as he was, as fearless a leader. I adore her in this version of the story. I think the best part is the wedding, as she and her warriors march into the wedding in full battle dress according to the tribe she belonged to. I loved it! So different from the weeping, melting, fickle blonde soft woman described by so many other authors. Hail to the White Spirit!
Karlie Nyte
Book four of the Pendragon cycle is not as up to par as the other books have been. Partly because a portion of this book is basically a retelling of a portion of one of the other books in the series! However, this does not mean that this book should be overlooked when reading the series. I enjoyed this book as well as the others, but only gave it 3 stars since I'd encountered about half of the story previously.
Cheryl
This one was a much better written and exciting book than "Arthur". As before, I wish there were more magic from Merlin and less Christian piety. And while I enjoyed the trip to Ireland, I still didn't like Gwenhwyvar being Irish and a feisty warrior. This book was obviously not planned before "Arthur" was written and contained some unnecessary repetition. At least it set up the next book really well.
Douglas Hayes
Lawhead is a Christian writer that has the ability to weave Christianity into the fabric of a story (even historical fiction) without cheapening the faith or ruining the story. This is what he has accomplished in his telling of Arthur story.

Imagine beginning with the destruction of Atlantis, the conversion of the Druids and Christianization of the British Isles. A fantastic story!
Kathi
Not nearly as good as the first 3 books. I made myself read it all but I admit it was a "speed read". I will try the fifth book and hope it's better!
Anna
One of the books I can't technically claim to have read myself, but heard the entirety of read aloud (by my mother mostly) during the sacred family reading time that happened each night. I didn't like Lawhead as much for some reason, but I think that stemmed from a general dislike for fantasy which, as luck would have it, was a genre my parents (or at least Dad) seemed to like a lot.
  • Grail Prince
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • Mordred's Curse
  • The Fort at River's Bend (Camulod Chronicles, #5)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • Mad Merlin
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Pendragon Cycle (6 books)
  • Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1)
  • Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)
  • Avalon: The Return of King Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #6)
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) Hood (King Raven, #1) Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3) Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2) Scarlet (King Raven, #2)

“He also possessed Aurelius' curious innocence in battle: the fearless forgetting which led him to attempt and to achieve the impossible. This would, of course, come to be noticed much later. But even now he could be seen to exhibit a certain disregard for his own safety. I recognized it well, and knew its source, for I had ridden with Aurelius.
In anyone else it would have been called carelessness. Or foolishness, more like. But it was never that. Arthur simply did not feel afraid. Daring, bravery, boldness, valor - these are qualities of overcoming fear.
What is it, then, when there is no fear?”
1 likes
“In order to welcome redemption, one must first embrace the utter hopelessness of failure. For how can a man look for rescue unless he knows he is truly lost?” 0 likes