Start by marking “Blade of the Poisoner” as Want to Read:
Blade of the Poisoner

Blade of the Poisoner (Poisoner #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Twelve-year-old Jarral and three friends with strong psychic Talents fight the evil of Prince Mephtik the Poisoner, who serves the Demon-Driver.
Published October 31st 1987 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Blade of the Poisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blade of the Poisoner

Wilson
When I was in 8th grade, our English teacher was like, "Hey nerds, I picked this book out for you guys to read instead of something normal." A sweeping, heart-breakingly benevolent, and totally unexpected gesture. Unfortunately, the nerd delegation read it and was like, "Wow... this book totally sucks -- even compared to the crap we normally read." We were dumbfounded. How can you screw up swords? The whole scenario was pathetic in that even a bunch of fantasy dorks, after being assigned a fanta ...more
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Dramatisation of the sci-fi fantasy novel. Douglas Hill's sci-fi fantasy stars Eric Allen.
Search
This was my first contact with fantasy fiction apart from the fairy tales my grandmothers and aunt told me as a child. I was absolutely enamored by the book and tried for a long time to get my hands on the sequel but somehow could never find it.
I remember wanting to be a firebrand for the long time, after reading this. lol :)
I think, if I could find the sequel even now at one of my local book stores I'd get it and read it in an instant.
Charlton
This was one of the first fantasy novels i read. It left a major impression. I think due to the influence of this book i prefer sci-fi/fantasy where stories are either based in medieval times or people use the power of their minds.
Nikki
A young boy encounters the Poisoner while in the forest, is captured, and is cut by his sword. This blade has a special power, for whoever suffers a wound from the sword will die by the next full moon. As the full moon draws nigh, he will feel the weight of death approaching...
This is the book that not only introduced me to the genre of fantasy, but also helped me to discover the world of angst. While some might not consider this book as engrossing as I - it is your typical fantasy in basic sto
Sara
BBC radio adaptation.
Mike Behlke
I read this book in 7th grade, I had found it in my jr. high's library. I remember liking it a lot. I liked the idea that these characters had special powers, like the X-men. I found this book, again, in 2002. I re-read it then, when I was 23 and found it to be a short and easy read, obviously, since it is gears toward a younger audience. I never read the sequal.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. It was the first fantasy book I read on my own. So it has a special place in my heart, I'm sure if I where to reread it I would not like it as much, like maybe a one or two star. But for a kid it's great stuff I I can find a copy I will get it for my son.
Noor Jahangir
I have fond memories of this book from my teen years. I know I liked it then, so I scored it 3 stars. Can't remember the plot and haven't read it recently, so the points are just for mere nostalgia.
Bettie☯
Melissa
This book is probably kind of crappy, but I sure loved it when I was a kid and it's taken me years to work enough google magic to find the title and author again.
Neil Pearson
From what i can remember (16 years ago) this was great. Kids with cool powers and evil monsters for them to overcome. Shame its out of print!
Bill
Read it in sixth grade. Probably not as good now.
Aaron
For what is is (young adult fantasy) it's pretty good.
Sabur76
Sufficient when I was a kid.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Josh
Josh added it
Mar 01, 2015
Keith Jones
Keith Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Douglas Arthur Hill (6 April 1935 – 21 June 2007) was a Canadian science fiction author, editor and reviewer. He was born in Brandon, Manitoba, the son of a railroad engineer, and was raised in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. An avid science fiction reader from an early age, he studied English at the University of Saskatchewan (where he earned an Honours B.A. in 1957) and at the University of Toronto ...more
More about Douglas Arthur Hill...

Poisoner (2 books)
  • Master of Fiends
Galactic Warlord (Last Legionary, #1) Day of the Starwind (Last Legionary, #3) Deathwing Over Veyna (Last Legionary, #2) Planet of the Warlord (Last Legionary, #4) Young Legionary (Last Legionary, #5)