Start by marking “Blade of the Poisoner” as Want to Read:
Blade of the Poisoner

Blade of the Poisoner (Poisoner #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Jarral and three friends with strong psychic Talents fight the evil of Prince Mephtik the Poisoner, who serves the Demon-Driver.
Published October 1st 1987 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Blade of the Poisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blade of the Poisoner

Wilson
Aug 10, 2007 Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in 8th grade, our English teacher was like, "Hey nerds, I picked this book out for you guys to read instead of something normal." A sweeping, heart-breakingly benevolent, and totally unexpected gesture. Unfortunately, the nerd delegation read it and was like, "Wow... this book totally sucks -- even compared to the crap we normally read." We were dumbfounded. How can you screw up swords? The whole scenario was pathetic in that even a bunch of fantasy dorks, after being assigned a fanta ...more
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Dramatisation of the sci-fi fantasy novel. Douglas Hill's sci-fi fantasy stars Eric Allen.
Search
Aug 15, 2012 Search rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first contact with fantasy fiction apart from the fairy tales my grandmothers and aunt told me as a child. I was absolutely enamored by the book and tried for a long time to get my hands on the sequel but somehow could never find it.
I remember wanting to be a firebrand for the long time, after reading this. lol :)
I think, if I could find the sequel even now at one of my local book stores I'd get it and read it in an instant.
Charlton
Jul 04, 2011 Charlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first fantasy novels i read. It left a major impression. I think due to the influence of this book i prefer sci-fi/fantasy where stories are either based in medieval times or people use the power of their minds.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2008 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A young boy encounters the Poisoner while in the forest, is captured, and is cut by his sword. This blade has a special power, for whoever suffers a wound from the sword will die by the next full moon. As the full moon draws nigh, he will feel the weight of death approaching...
This is the book that not only introduced me to the genre of fantasy, but also helped me to discover the world of angst. While some might not consider this book as engrossing as I - it is your typical fantasy in basic sto
Sara
BBC radio adaptation.
Mike Behlke
Aug 08, 2013 Mike Behlke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 7th grade, I had found it in my jr. high's library. I remember liking it a lot. I liked the idea that these characters had special powers, like the X-men. I found this book, again, in 2002. I re-read it then, when I was 23 and found it to be a short and easy read, obviously, since it is gears toward a younger audience. I never read the sequal.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. It was the first fantasy book I read on my own. So it has a special place in my heart, I'm sure if I where to reread it I would not like it as much, like maybe a one or two star. But for a kid it's great stuff I I can find a copy I will get it for my son.
Noor Jahangir
I have fond memories of this book from my teen years. I know I liked it then, so I scored it 3 stars. Can't remember the plot and haven't read it recently, so the points are just for mere nostalgia.
Bettie☯
Melissa
Aug 07, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-adult
This book is probably kind of crappy, but I sure loved it when I was a kid and it's taken me years to work enough google magic to find the title and author again.
Neil Pearson
Aug 07, 2011 Neil Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From what i can remember (16 years ago) this was great. Kids with cool powers and evil monsters for them to overcome. Shame its out of print!
Bill
May 21, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in sixth grade. Probably not as good now.
Aaron
Aug 10, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For what is is (young adult fantasy) it's pretty good.
Sabur76
Sufficient when I was a kid.
Micah Evans
Micah Evans rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
Vinnie Clough
Vinnie Clough is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Renuka
Renuka marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Dantegideon
Dantegideon rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Fingaz
Fingaz is currently reading it
May 31, 2016
J
J marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Rob Sharp
Rob Sharp marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Rum
Rum rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Rafael Figueroa
Rafael Figueroa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, #3)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story, Vol. 3 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story, #3)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)
  • The Silver Key
  • Princess Smartypants
  • The Official Pokémon Handbook
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Alien Secrets
  • Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time:The Eye of the World #1.5
  • A Not-So-Grimm Fairytale
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • おやすみプンプン 9
  • Japanese Mythology
  • Tank Farm Dynamo
  • Shaman Warrior, Vol. 1
  • Shadow Climber (Bifrost Guardians, #2)
  • Dead to the World (Water Lovers of Sirilon #3)
  • The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Douglas Arthur Hill (6 April 1935 – 21 June 2007) was a Canadian science fiction author, editor and reviewer. He was born in Brandon, Manitoba, the son of a railroad engineer, and was raised in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. An avid science fiction reader from an early age, he studied English at the University of Saskatchewan (where he earned an Honours B.A. in 1957) and at the University of Toronto ...more
More about Douglas Arthur Hill...

Poisoner (2 books)