Who Was Charles Darwin?

Who Was Charles Darwin? (Who Was/Is...?)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  17 reviews
As a young boy, Charles Darwin hated school and was often scolded forconducting “useless” experiments. Yet his passion for the natural world was so strong that he suffered through terrible seasickness during his five-year voyage aboard The Beagle. Darwin collected new creatures from the coasts of Africa, South America, and the Galapagos Islands, and expanded his groundbrea...more
Published May 19th 2005 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Charles Darwin?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Charles Darwin?

Sarah Hamrick
“Who Was Charles Darwin” by Deborah Hopkinson is a biography and informational text about Charles Darwin’s life. This book describes Darwin’s life, and how his ideas started a revolution of thought. As a boy, Darwin was perceived as ordinary, and hated the structured setting of school where he felt forced to do experiments that he viewed as useless. He loved nature and the natural world, and when he was older he went on a five year voyage overseas on The Beagle, where he collected and studied cr...more
Yuki Kodama
I read this book about 75 minutes in this week.

7words summary
curious, Christian people, shock, evolve, different speceis, monky, human

Discussion Question
1.Do you think God create human? Why do you think so?
I do not think so. " Ignorance is bliss. However, I think that we should understand all and we can understand all in the world. Of course, by doing this, I don't know whether I can be happy or not." This is my value. I don't want to give up thinking.
Therefore, I can't accept the idea that God...more
Takuya Kitaura
-penguin level3.4
-Time 10/3 15min 10/5 30min 10/6 20min
-7 word summary Darwin-animal-interest-zoo-travel-find-evolution
-Discussion question

Darwin loved creatures. He traveled around the world for 5 years vowage to study creatures.

Q Have you ever had passion to study of find anything?

A I love languages. In NUFS, I am studying German. Moreover, I study Russian at my home. It is my pleasure to study languages! If I have chance to go abroad, I really want to go to Germany and Russia!

Darwin is my fav...more
Nathaniel Mckenzie
It was good. He sailed around the world and that helped him decide what career he wanted to be.
Nina
Love these kids books! They are so informative and like reading mini Cliff notes on famous people.
Pierce
This book is a great book if you like nature.This book was very descriptive in what they are telling you about the history of nature. This book is also a very good book to help understand how scientist came to evolution and how animals became more stunted or more less suited for eniviroments. This book explains most of his life and what he mostly liked throughout his life. I liked this book because I am a person who likes nature so this book was very enjoyable to read for me. I think this book i...more
Lynn
Feb 20, 2011 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids
This is a great biography of Charles Darwin for kids. I learned things about Charles Darwin I never knew before! Charles Darwin tried to begin careers as a doctor and as a clergyman but scientist was always his first choice. He had to temper his interest with the religious beliefs of the day and what people believed about the beginning of the Earth. The book covers many aspects of Darwin's life and covers all in an easy reading way. I will share this book with a budding scientist in my midst.
Pam
I am already a fan of Charles Darwin, and when I saw this kids book I had to pick it up!

it is a great Cliffs Notes version of Charles Darwin's life's work for children. it spares all the fluff and really gets to the nitty-gritty about his discovery of Natural Selection and how he struggled with introducing it to the the world. it does talk about the controversy of it all and how he was even hard for the Scientific community to accept his theories.

Peytonj
This was a good book. I really enjoy reading books on important people. Charles Darwin was very clever. He was studying a different religion when he had the chance to go travel the world. The beagle was supposed to be gone 4 years but it lasted 6. He discovered a lot on islands and other countries. the most important stop was the galapogous islands. He created the theory of evolution.
Takahiro Yamada
90 minutes
Man- mature- voyage- monkey- evolution- history- changed
When you were a child, what did you like to do?
When I were a child, I liked to catch insects. However, I don't like it now. I don't want to touch them.

Before I read this book, I know just his name, so chose this book. Through this book, I understood what he did when he was alive.
Yusuke Sato
90minute

7words
man/voyage/find/fossil/observe/revolution/manbook

question
Do you think humans have evolved from monkeys?
I think human have not evolved from monkeys, but we don't know how to apper the human in this world.

Darwin have never afraid to ask something. In my view, asking question is important for us.
Viv JM
This is an excellent biography of Charles Darwin for sharing with children. I thought it did a very good job of setting Darwin's ideas within the context of his life and times, and was interesting enough to keep the attention of my two sons, aged 11 and 6.
Erin
Feb 04, 2011 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This one was a little harder for Tess to understand. I had to explain 'natural selection' to her several times.
Logan
This book inspired me to go outside to collect and make observations.
sonita
Just read this to the kids... great series!!
Teressa
Very easy read but quite informative!
Hassan
Darwin was really a smart man
Blake
Blake added it
Sep 17, 2014
Leonz
Leonz is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Jazmine
Jazmine marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I write picture books, nonfiction, and middle grade fiction. I love history and visiting schools to talk to young readers.

TITANIC: VOICES FROM THE DISASTER was named a 2013 Sibert Honor Book and a 2013 YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist. Annie and Helen was a finalist for a 2013 Oregon Book Award.

My most recent books are KNIT YOUR BIT, a World War I story, a historical fiction picture book s...more
More about Deborah Hopkinson...
Titanic: Voices From the Disaster Dear America, Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series) Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)