Start by marking “Who Was Charles Darwin?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Charles Darwin?

Who Was Charles Darwin? (Who Was/Is...?)

As a young boy, Charles Darwin hated school and was often scolded forconducting “useless” experiments. Yet his passion for the natural world was so strong that he suffered through terrible seasickness during his five-year voyage aboard The Beagle. Darwin collected new creatures from the coasts of Africa, South America, and the Galapagos Islands, and expanded his groundbrea ...more
Published May 19th 2005 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Charles Darwin?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Charles Darwin?

Canadian Reader
Hopkinson writes a fine and accessible narrative for young readers, introducing them to Darwin as a person and a scientist. She manages to make his ideas understandable to students who are about 10 to 12 years of age, but her book is a great place for adults to start, too! Focusing largely on Darwin's time as naturalist to Captain Fitzroy of The Beagle as the latter mapped the waters around South America, Hopkinson provides an account of Darwin's discovery of apparent armadillo fossils and his ...more
Sarah Hamrick
Mar 18, 2014 Sarah Hamrick rated it liked it
“Who Was Charles Darwin” by Deborah Hopkinson is a biography and informational text about Charles Darwin’s life. This book describes Darwin’s life, and how his ideas started a revolution of thought. As a boy, Darwin was perceived as ordinary, and hated the structured setting of school where he felt forced to do experiments that he viewed as useless. He loved nature and the natural world, and when he was older he went on a five year voyage overseas on The Beagle, where he collected and studied cr ...more
Viv JM
This is an excellent biography of Charles Darwin for sharing with children. I thought it did a very good job of setting Darwin's ideas within the context of his life and times, and was interesting enough to keep the attention of my two sons, aged 11 and 6.
Mio Takasaki
Jul 10, 2016 Mio Takasaki rated it liked it
2. 07/09=40minutes, 07/10=40minutes
3. rich, doctor, minister, scientist, collection, friends, published
4. a. This is a biography of Charles Darwin. He went to many places and found the origin of animals.
b. My favorite passage was that he spent a lot of time in the hammock over the desk during most of the ship. Now, it is impossible to do that. It is uncomfortable for people in the ship.
5. Before I read this book, I just knew he found 'origin of species'. However, it was difficult thing to pre
Chance Taskey
Apr 27, 2016 Chance Taskey rated it really liked it
Who was Charles Darwin by Deborah Hopkinson is a amazing factual book. It takes place in the 1800s to kind of the 1900s with Charles Darwin. This book is semi nonfiction with pleasing and entetyaing events/ scenes of fiction in it. This book goes from Charles childhood life to his death giving you everything you need to know about him. I learned so much from this one book. Which is only about a hundred pages. Don't miss this fun and historical Who was book of the famous scientist Charles Darwin.
Travis Morgan
Oct 05, 2014 Travis Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eec-405, module-2
I love this book because it would open the door to many lessons while reading it. As a class, we could discuss multiple continents, experiments, Darwin's theory of evolution, and even sailing the ocean. As a young child, I remember learning about Darwin's theory; however, I was never told how his theory came to be or about his personal life. I feel that students of all ages would be intrigued to see what Darwin's interests were, where he lived, and his journey to conclude his thinking.

Blake
Nov 18, 2015 Blake rated it really liked it
Ryan Donnellan
Mar 30, 2016 Ryan Donnellan rated it it was amazing
Who Was Charles Darwin Written by Deborah Hopkinson. It is a nonfiction book taking place in Europe mostly but all over the world and the main character is Charles Darwin. It is about Charles Darwin and how he became a scientist. It is also about all of his discoveries that he made. I give it 5 stars.
Abdul Khasim
May 26, 2015 Abdul Khasim rated it really liked it
This book tells about the life of Charles Darwin. He was born in 1820. He was the father of genetics. He sailed across the world to learn more about different species. He died 1882. I liked this book because we were learning about genetics in science. This is a good book if you want to learn about evolution
Afton
Aug 29, 2015 Afton rated it it was amazing
A fabulous kid-friendly chapter book about the life and work of Charles Darwin. I had such great discussions with my elementary-aged children while reading it to them.
Yuki Kodama
Jun 03, 2013 Yuki Kodama rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 75 minutes in this week.

7words summary
curious, Christian people, shock, evolve, different speceis, monky, human

Discussion Question
1.Do you think God create human? Why do you think so?
I do not think so. " Ignorance is bliss. However, I think that we should understand all and we can understand all in the world. Of course, by doing this, I don't know whether I can be happy or not." This is my value. I don't want to give up thinking.
Therefore, I can't accept the idea that God
Takuya Kitaura
Oct 06, 2013 Takuya Kitaura rated it it was amazing
-penguin level3.4
-Time 10/3 15min 10/5 30min 10/6 20min
-7 word summary Darwin-animal-interest-zoo-travel-find-evolution
-Discussion question

Darwin loved creatures. He traveled around the world for 5 years vowage to study creatures.

Q Have you ever had passion to study of find anything?

A I love languages. In NUFS, I am studying German. Moreover, I study Russian at my home. It is my pleasure to study languages! If I have chance to go abroad, I really want to go to Germany and Russia!

Darwin is my fav
Nathaniel
Jul 22, 2014 Nathaniel rated it really liked it
It was good. He sailed around the world and that helped him decide what career he wanted to be.
Nina
Jun 30, 2014 Nina rated it it was amazing
Love these kids books! They are so informative and like reading mini Cliff notes on famous people.
Oftobin
Great for children just getting introducted to science! Ages 5-8
Kevyn
Mar 22, 2015 Kevyn added it
A good book.
Pierce
Jan 04, 2011 Pierce rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book if you like nature.This book was very descriptive in what they are telling you about the history of nature. This book is also a very good book to help understand how scientist came to evolution and how animals became more stunted or more less suited for eniviroments. This book explains most of his life and what he mostly liked throughout his life. I liked this book because I am a person who likes nature so this book was very enjoyable to read for me. I think this book i ...more
Lynn
Feb 20, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
This is a great biography of Charles Darwin for kids. I learned things about Charles Darwin I never knew before! Charles Darwin tried to begin careers as a doctor and as a clergyman but scientist was always his first choice. He had to temper his interest with the religious beliefs of the day and what people believed about the beginning of the Earth. The book covers many aspects of Darwin's life and covers all in an easy reading way. I will share this book with a budding scientist in my midst.
Inhabiting Books
Sep 12, 2016 Inhabiting Books added it
Shelves: 2011
More greatness from Deborah Hopkinson. (She also wrote The Humblebee Hunter: Inspired By The Life and Experiments of Charles Darwin and His Children) This book about Darwin's life and adventures is geared for slightly older readers, but also great for reading aloud to ages 7 and up.
Pam
Jun 15, 2009 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I am already a fan of Charles Darwin, and when I saw this kids book I had to pick it up!

it is a great Cliffs Notes version of Charles Darwin's life's work for children. it spares all the fluff and really gets to the nitty-gritty about his discovery of Natural Selection and how he struggled with introducing it to the the world. it does talk about the controversy of it all and how he was even hard for the Scientific community to accept his theories.

Dakota Karras
I just finished reading Who Was Charles Darwin by Jess M. Brallier. The genre of the book is non-fiction. The setting is throught Charles Darwin's life. The main character is Charles Darwin. It told about Charles childhood in England and how he got to take a ship around the world. And it explained all the discovery's he made on that trip.
Peytonj
May 21, 2013 Peytonj rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I really enjoy reading books on important people. Charles Darwin was very clever. He was studying a different religion when he had the chance to go travel the world. The beagle was supposed to be gone 4 years but it lasted 6. He discovered a lot on islands and other countries. the most important stop was the galapogous islands. He created the theory of evolution.
Takahiro Yamada
Dec 16, 2013 Takahiro Yamada rated it liked it
90 minutes
Man- mature- voyage- monkey- evolution- history- changed
When you were a child, what did you like to do?
When I were a child, I liked to catch insects. However, I don't like it now. I don't want to touch them.

Before I read this book, I know just his name, so chose this book. Through this book, I understood what he did when he was alive.
Yusuke Sato
Nov 07, 2013 Yusuke Sato rated it really liked it
90minute

7words
man/voyage/find/fossil/observe/revolution/manbook

question
Do you think humans have evolved from monkeys?
I think human have not evolved from monkeys, but we don't know how to apper the human in this world.

Darwin have never afraid to ask something. In my view, asking question is important for us.
Erin
Feb 04, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This one was a little harder for Tess to understand. I had to explain 'natural selection' to her several times.
Logan
Apr 27, 2009 Logan rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to go outside to collect and make observations.
sonita
Jun 10, 2007 sonita rated it really liked it
Just read this to the kids... great series!!
Teressa
Apr 18, 2012 Teressa rated it really liked it
Very easy read but quite informative!
Caleb
Jul 16, 2014 Caleb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Liked

it
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
I write picture books, nonfiction, and middle grade fiction. I love history and visiting schools to talk to young readers.

TITANIC: VOICES FROM THE DISASTER was named a 2013 Sibert Honor Book and a 2013 YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist. My most recent nonfiction title, COURAGE & DEFIANCE, Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in WWII Denmark,was named an Orbis Pictus Recommended Bo
More about Deborah Hopkinson...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?