Start by marking “Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices” as Want to Read:
Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices

Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  531 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Explore the new design discipline that is behind such products as the iPod and innovative Web sites like Flickr. While other books on this subject are either aimed at more seasoned practitioners or else are too focused on a particular medium like software, this guide will take a more holistic approach to the discipline, looking at interaction design for the Web, software, ...more
Published July 28th 2006 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Interaction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Interaction

Craig Birchler
Jul 25, 2013 Craig Birchler rated it really liked it
My go-to pre-job-interview book. If you're a seasoned IxD veteran this book won't help you progress the field of design forward in any compelling ways. However, it will give you quick, simple anecdotes and examples consumable for a non-design audience. Alternatively, if you're working with with a new team of non-designers, this book would act as a great 1-night read to bring them up to speed.
Ryan
Jun 15, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it
Dan Saffer's book is a thorough yet high-level look at the emerging and evolving practice of Interaction Design. Although each chapter could easily be its own book — and in most cases, such books exist — the shallow-yet-broad scope of Designing For Interaction was appealing. Each chapter is sprinkled with interesting interviews with top-notch designers and educators: Hugh Dubberly, Shelley Evenson, Larry Tesler, and more.

With that said, I have two criticisms of this book:

First, in easily 50% of
Luigi Greco
It's funny how a book about interaction design fails to provide a good interaction with its own content by constantly interrupting the reading experience with two pages long boxes in the middle of a sentence.
Besides that, it's a short introduction to the subject and it can be useful to understand some basic topics.
Madeline Ashby
I'm not giving this book a top rating, but that's only because I used a single chapter from it in the framework of my design thesis on border security and therefore cannot speak to the book as a whole. Specifically, I read the chapter on service design, which incorporates scholarship from experience design. Saffer's frameworks are clear and easy to understand, and his commitment to the art is obvious. I recommend Saffer to anyone who wants to know what service design is and how it should work. I ...more
Sharon Bautista
Mar 15, 2014 Sharon Bautista rated it liked it
One of the more substantive introductions to user experience design that I've read. I especially appreciated the section on strategy, a important element of design often neglected by UX books.
Diogo
Mar 29, 2014 Diogo added it
Lent to me by Jill. Great overview book, even if it's from 2007. Ch 5 is good.
Giovanni
Jul 21, 2015 Giovanni rated it really liked it
Cool introductory book despite its publication date (2007).
Lucius
Apr 27, 2012 Lucius rated it it was amazing
Excellent as an overview of doing design, including things that might be considered business strategy, which I like. This book avoids falling into the trap of talking about design as pretty things, and provides an overview of the different approaches to design, and has pointers to other books and resources for learning more. My only criticism is that it can't devote very many words to each topic, because it's a general overview of design rather than a thorough handbook, so you really need to loo ...more
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
Aug 03, 2011 Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu rated it really liked it
Shelves: innovation
Although written for designers, the book provides structure for managing creativity when coming up with new services and products. Useful for people dealing with new product development and for entrepreneurs in general - as it focuses greatly on user needs and user appreciation of his/her interaction with the product/service. Nice examples and interesting peek into the future of systems around us as well as their design needs.

Many passages seemed too basic - like explaining why design for servic
Smitha
Feb 02, 2012 Smitha rated it liked it
I would've given it a higher rating if he hadn't pulled so liberally from the graduate curriculum of Carnegie Mellon's Master of Design program without citing his sources. A single mention of the school in the introduction, and a single mention of the architect/pioneer of the philosophy that the MDes programs espouse, is not at all adequate.

Otherwise, though, the stuff he wrote on his own is a pretty good primer of interaction and user experience design.
Shomeret
I was impressed by the organization and conceptual clarity of this book. Saffer also provided multiple perspectives and indicated when a point of view was controversial. I appreciated his final chapter on ethics. I've never seen a design book that deals with the ethical responsibility of designers before.
Jackson
Feb 26, 2014 Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read and presented so much better than most of the textbooks I've read on the matter.
Gregory
Sep 02, 2013 Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Found this while unpacking at my new place and gave it a reread. Much like the book Don't Make Me Think did for usability testing, this book takes a nice simple approach to breaking down the many aspects of interaction design a designer could use.
Rick
Sep 25, 2008 Rick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Interaction Designers
Recommended to Rick by: Amazon.com
Dan Saffer is a Senior Interaction Designer for Adaptive Path, one of the premier interaction design firms in the world. The book is an easy read and provides great insight to anyone wanting to learn more about interaction design.
Heidi
Dec 24, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
For a basic overview of Interaction Design, I liked how this book was presented. It was clear and easy to read. Compared to some of the other books chosen for my course this one was usually a preferred resource for me.
Nelson Zagalo
A good introductory book for anyone trying to grasp the idea behind interaction design. Not opening completely new fields of research, but presenting the problems and some approaches to succeed in entering the area.
Ms. Jen
Aug 06, 2007 Ms. Jen rated it it was ok
Somehow Mr. Saffer managed to take what should be a fun & interesting topic to anyone who loves & lives computers and he made it dull-academic-wire-grey-academic-framed-dull.

I couldn't finish it.
Marcia Johnston
An okay intro to design principles. I especially liked the interviews with designers sprinkled throughout. Overall, though, not as helpful a book as it could be.
Nathan Bussiere
Mar 24, 2011 Nathan Bussiere rated it liked it
Shelves: web, ux
I found this to be a very top-level overview. If it's your first book about IXD, that might be good, but if you have read many others you can probably skip it.
Pete
Sep 26, 2008 Pete rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who doesn't know anything about web/interaction design
First half was really pretty good. It gets pretty watered down after a while, explaining simple concepts that any first year designer would know.
Omar
Jul 06, 2014 Omar rated it liked it
Covers a lot of essential interaction design works, computer and other real world designs. Sometimes gets a bit too simple..
Moses
Mar 02, 2011 Moses rated it it was ok
Not really that great of a design book to read. Just a listing of techniques and workflows.
Chris
Apr 16, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: product Managers, product designers, web desigers,
Good foundation for the discipline. Well written and concise. A little lofty at times.
Moyra
Mar 25, 2011 Moyra is currently reading it
to better understand what my husband does with his work days - pretty fascinating sofar
Samantha
Aug 22, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it
A gentle introduction to what the heck Interaction Designers generally do.
Sarah Sammis
Fall 2011 text book.
Amber
Oct 24, 2008 Amber rated it did not like it
Dan Saffer's book is full of design laws and rules of thumb, including the disproven "magic number seven" rule for number of items on a given page that users should be allowed to choose from. This refers to a study done in the 1950s that revealed that most people can hold no more than 7 random bits of information in their head at any given time. However, more recent studies have shown that if the information bits are somehow related to each other, the human mind has a much greater capacity for r ...more
Bob Steve
Bob Steve rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Amy Schnebelin
Amy Schnebelin marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“There's an old joke among software developers. When something works in an unexpected but strangely effective way, the developers often kid, "Oh, that's not a bug. That's a future." While this is usually a joke, designers can use the same technique of reframing the problem when tackling their own projects. In fact, there's an old joke among designers: "It's not a problem. It's an opportunity.” 0 likes