Start by marking “Etiquette and Vitriol: The Food Chain and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
Etiquette and Vitriol: The Food Chain and Other Plays

Etiquette and Vitriol: The Food Chain and Other Plays

The first play collection by a young master of razor-sharp wit and black humor.
Published December 1st 1996 by Theatre Communications Group

To ask other readers questions about Etiquette and Vitriol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etiquette and Vitriol

Bronte
Nov 02, 2010 Bronte rated it it was ok
I can't really decide if this contains spoilers - so read with caution!!! You may be someone who wants to know nothing about the book before reading it. I don't personally think this gives anything away really.

I enjoyed "The Food Chain" - the first play in the book - although it was definitely bizarre. It was very funny and entertaining.

Then I read "Fat Men in Skirts" which was a mistake. Cannibalism, incest, rape - I did not find it funny, although it's supposed to be and I think people with
Colie!
Mar 10, 2009 Colie! rated it it was ok
What I learned from this book... well, like Chekhov and Williams, Nicky Silver has his stock characters who, if you nail them, you could easily recreate an improvised version of his plays. Get a fat person, thin person, oversexed aged person, oversexed gay person, shake em all up with a pile of neuroses and then oversex everyone, pepper in snarky, snappy dialogue et le voila!

Yeah, it's OK. I would like one of these plays, but reading all of them at once was a little exhausting. He's very good, b
Allison
Jun 18, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, 2013
Nicky Silver's style of absurdity and emphasis on the grotesque is not really my thing, which is why I only gave this collection three stars. There is quite a lot going on behind the incest (good God, there is a lot), and the patricide, and the cannibalism. I just prefer my drama with less of that stuff. He's truly original and these plays are probably insane to see staged.
Jill
Jun 14, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
In college, I took a beginning acting class. One assignment asked us to pick a character from a play that was as far as possible from ourselves, and to act out their monologue.

I picked a male character from The Food Chain. He was something like 400 pounds, lazy, and whiny.

I did a hell of a job, if I do say so myself.

The play still stays with me, and makes me shudder.
Tom Cork
Jul 31, 2007 Tom Cork rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: snarky humorists
Shelves: readandenjoyed
Pterodactyls is a beautiful play--no question. The balance of wit and pain is amazing, and Silver really ties together a bunch of disparate elements to create a disturbing parody of the 'modern American family.'

The Food Chain is an easier read--not as deep, but still hilarious. If you've ever chased after someone who seemed oblivious (story of my life), then this one's for you.
Laura Ferrari
Jun 22, 2007 Laura Ferrari rated it really liked it
Pterodactyls: depressing, very funny
Carrie
Feb 18, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
This stuff is hilarious and a little nauseating, but worth a read.
Megan
Oct 05, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
With all fondness, Nicky Silver is a sick, sick man. Food Chain made me snort diet coke out my nose...thankfully I was reading a copy that belonged to someong else.
Maggie
Aug 04, 2008 Maggie rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club, plays
I guess I didn't get the point of all the horribly dysfunctional characters in uncomfortable situations...
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
ScottRichard Klein
ScottRichard Klein rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2009
Rani
Rani rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2009
Sam Schanwald
Sam Schanwald rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Mhb
Mhb rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Michael Mentz
Michael Mentz rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2010
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Muzzy
Muzzy rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2008
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2007
Heidi Sampson
Heidi Sampson rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Christine Keppler
Christine Keppler rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
Hal Wehrenberg
Hal Wehrenberg rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2007
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013