Start by marking “Zeit der Omen” as Want to Read:
Zeit der Omen

Zeit der Omen (Deverry #6)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,195 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Auch in den Westlanden findet Rhodry keine Ruhe. Unbekannte Kräfte wollen ihm den geheimnisvollen Ring entwenden, den er bekam als er den Thron von Aberwyn bestieg - und nur die Urahnen der Elden können vielleicht die Inschrift des Rings entschlüsseln, die Auskunft über sein weiteres Schicksal gibt. Auf der Flucht findet Rhodry den getreuen Gefährten Yraen und das Mädchen ...more
Published 1999 by Knaur (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Zeit der Omen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeit der Omen

Nick Reys
One and one doesn’t always result in two. One: I like to read a lot of different books instead of a whole series back to back. One: I found the previous book in the series - A Time Of Exile – to be a bit of a dull affair. The result is that it didn’t took me two, but rather two and a half to three months to pick up this book. As it is the case most of the times when I am reading a book, is that I felt the urge to kick myself for not reading it any sooner. Where A Time Of Exile failed in the atte ...more
This is Book 6 in the Deverry saga, which is composed of different cycles, or parts. So, it is also Book 2 of the Westland cycle (the second cycle).

The cycles share the same characters and progress in chronological order (however with flashbacks inside of them), but focus on different plots.

A Time of Exile (Book 5, or Book 1 of the new cycle) set this new plot: a mysterious rose ring owned by Rhodry, his return to his father's people (the Elves, also know as Westfolk), and the destiny of Dalland
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Picked this up in the middle of the series, but was able to follow things fairly well. The overriding theme for the series seems to be on intermingling past & present. Two stories from two different time periods (in the same world) are visited, with some long-lived characters having been alive for both stories and others being the same soul reincarnated from past-selves to present-selves. As far as I could tell in this book, Kerr does a good job with tying the two timelines together without ...more
Benjamin Thomas
This is the 6th book in the overall Deverry series but also the second book in the "Westlands" sub series. As always, it is well written with excellent plotting, settings, themes, etc. And, as is typical with a Deverry novel, we jump through time occasionally to see many of our favorite characters in reincarnated forms of themselves in different points in Deverry's history. And no doubt, several of the key plot points in this volume will be instrumental in the coming installments. I remain amaze ...more
The second book of the second Deverry quartet, and this is no more than a competent entry. For some reason, despite the easy reading, it took me days to get through and I really struggled at times to muster much interest in the doings of Rhodry.

In this book he spends a number of years wandering in the Westlands, integrating himself into the lives of the Elcyion Lacar. It is, for an ex-gwerbret and ex-silver dagger, an idyllic life, which is cut short by the doings of one Alshandra (one-time love
Fantasy Literature
A Time of Omens, the second book of the second DEVERRY quartet, is no more than a competent entry. Despite the easy reading, it took me days to get through and I really struggled at times to muster much interest in the doings of Rhodry.

Rhodry spends a number of years wandering in the Westlands, integrating himself into the lives of the Elcyion Lacar. Jill has gone seeking the remnant of the Elven race that fled south when the Hordes destroyed their homelands. We spend a lot of time in Evandar's
Continues the story. The guardians are getting closer to the time of entering this world, but some are not happy about it. This causes Rhodry to leave the elves and become a silver dagger again. Meanwhile Jill is looking for the meaning behind Rhodry's ring.

Another decent read in this series. There's only one short flashback her with Nevyn. I do wonder what happens next and yes, it does end on a cliffhanger. A good read.
As the second book in "scene 2" of the Deverry series, A Time of Omens gives the distinct sense of building towards conflict. Unlike many of the previous books, this one ends somewhat abruptly, though in a good way, leaving the kind of loose ends that leave the reader wanting to see what happens. Kerr has also become both more parsimonious and more precise with her timeline explorations, making for a larger story arc that is more coherent and engaging. She's also firmly committed herself to the ...more
OK, so by the end of the book, the reason for a lot of what has been happening has been revealed. This was better than a Time of Exile as there was more substance to it, and there seemed to be reasons for people acting as they did.

The final few chapters with the advent of Carra suddenly pulled things into a sharper focus and all of a sudden piqued my interest, but to get there was through a lot of gratuitous fighting of petty lords, and a lot of unexplained goings on with the Guardians which is
The westlands cycle picks up pace.
Jill makes her way to find the refugee People in the far south. Rhodry returns to Deverry and takes on an apprentice, and we start to get a good look at just what the Guardians really are, and how they are stirring up events in the world.

This was a fast and easy to read book, and it is really ratcheting up the tension for the rest of the cycle. Need to start the next one immediately!
Doc Opp
This series is a fun 2nd tier epic fantasy series. If you're not already a fan of the genre, there are other authors who would be better to start with. If you are a fan of the genre, this is a worthwhile read. The series has some really nice characters, and some very memorable scenes. The style is sort of a mix of a Kate Forsyth and Elizabeth Haydon. Nice use of reincarnation as a method for plot development.

One warning - the publishers, for reasons that I don't entirely understand, have changed
Andrew Reinke
Many years have passed since Rhodry rode as a silver dagger. However he is forced to fake his own death, lest someone discover his elven heritage. For that reason, Rhodry heads west to ride with the bright fey. Unfortunately, wyrd has a nasty habit of catching up with you.

Kerr uses flashbacks to previous lives to break up the flow of the novel. This use of syntax can create massive cliffhangers at times forcing you to put the time period you're invested in on hold.

It leaves you hanging until th
Every time I read this I marvel at Kerr's ability to draw us in, to make the omniscient narrator so transparent that you barely notice the change in voice, and to keep Rhodry so close to the brink of madness without his tumbling over.

We're in a new incarnation cycle. Time's moving on, faster in some cases than others, and this volume more closely ties the Westlands' story into that of Deverry. Jill and Dallandra are both tracking down clues, some of which are *almost* revealed. (Readers who like
Ah, and here's where some things start getting exciting! I admit to wanting to shout, "The Horsekin are coming! The Horsekin are coming!" as I read the end.

It was killing me to find out who Yraen was to Rhodry because I refused to look at the back of the book. And then I got to the back of the book and went, "Huh." I don't know that I ever realized that before. Although I recognized Carra as soon as Otho saw her. Keeping track of all these people is getting cursed difficult, I'll say that!
A great continuation
I know it's not much of a review, but I'm continuing to really love the books in this series. As I said in my review of the previous book, I'm at a point where I now appreciate all the interweaving stories and variations on history as I didn't in the past. I've got some other things to read before moving on to the next one, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Rhod Chang
Oh, Katharine Kerr, what a tear you went on between Bristling Wood and this book. How much I loved the Maddyn and the silver dagger troop coming to the holy city. Even if I didn't entirely buy Rhodry coming back to human lands, Yraen was more than enough consolation for it.
I am really enjoying this series more. I do find the jumping around very confusing, sometimes. She writes well, and it is an original world, with real alignment with Old England, which I really like.
Oct 13, 2009 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deverry Fans
Shelves: fantasy, dragons, 2009
This second installment of the 2nd Deverry series is much improved over the first, with a real sense of what is the overarching plot is finally. A must read if you liked the other Deverry books.
Clearly, I love Katharine Kerr or I wouldn't be on book 6 in the Deverry series. This one was really good! Loved the introduction of Yraen and Carra - can't wait to see what comes next.
Read it years ago. Rereading it because The Fire Dragon finally, finally came out and I have to remind myself of the plot. Katherine Kerr is one of my favorite authors ever.
Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on the whole series. Some of the books are better than others but still... they all get a 5 star rating from me.
They just keep getting better and better. The Hordes are back! This is going to get good!
Cris Holdorph
The pink cover makes this book look more like a romance novel then the fantasy it is.
Howard Springsteen
Getting used to the style of her writing.
Kendra marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Lords of the Sky
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sky Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #5)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Winter Warriors (Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • The Well-Favored Man: The Tale of the Sorcerer's Nephew (Argylle #1)
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • Krondor: The Assassins (The Riftwar Legacy, #2)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)