Start by marking “The Road From Elephant Pass” as Want to Read:
The Road From Elephant Pass

The Road From Elephant Pass

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The Road From Elephant Pass won the 2003 Gratiaen Prize for creative writing in English “for its moving story, for its constant feel of real life, for its consistency of narrative momentum, for its descriptive power, for its dramatic use of dialogue to define social context, capture character psychology, and trace the development of a relationship, for its convincing demon ...more
359 pages
Published (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Road From Elephant Pass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road From Elephant Pass

Amalie
An Army Officer's routine assignment to pick up a woman informant near Jaffna turns into a nightmare when the LTTE launches a massive attack on the peninsula and the camp at Elephant Pass. Then the two adversaries are forced to escape together through the rebel held Wanni and later, cross the abandoned Wilpattu National Park on foot. The constant external dangers and their enforced dependence on each other, gradually erodes their enmity and distrust. But when they finally reach Colombo, Wasantha ...more
Dash Cooray
I got a rather, mussed-up copy of this novel from the dying remains of the library of the British Council in Kandy a couple of months before the movie came out.
I hadn't read any books written by my compatriots until then, probably because of the natural distrust you develop against your own kind.
But I stand corrected! Nihal De Silva, now dead and gone, spun a wonderful tale of intrigue and adventure coupled with a haunting romance between a Sinhalese soldier boy and a Tamil terrorist girl.
I am
Shane
A great geographical tour of the northern part of war torn Sri Lanka. Silva paints the land and its denizens brilliantly. I found the relationship between the male and female leads to be a bit stilted and the translation from Sinhala to English a bit repetitive - but certainly Silva's courage, for which he later lost his life in the same region due to a land mine explosion, is clear. I am not sure any other writer would want to venture where he dared to go.
Princess Hana
what caught me was the climax of the romance of wasantha n valeithan who begin the journey as incipient lovers.one would not believe that there's romance in this novel on account of the antagonistic attitude both returns equally at the very begining only to witness the awesome intimacy gradually brew between the two parties who seemed poles apart towards the end of the novel<>.how wasantha becomes the rightful heir to kamala's body with the determined killing of sexual enemies one by one a ...more
this book was very hard to read because hindsite being 20-20 and all. It was very painful because having been to sri lanka, being familiar with the area, knowing about the struggle, it was a book that was very close to my heart. Knowing that the author had a keen love of wildlife and nature, and knowing of his love of wilpattu national park, you can really see it in the book. He kind of reminded me of Tom Thomson and Algonquin Park, so many similarities. How their art reflected their love of nat ...more
Dilipickle
If he just shut up about the birds and re-thought the end, this book could've been quite something.
Raisa
The Road from Elephant Pass won the Graetian Prize in 2003. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it's amazing, just perhaps slightly better than its Sri Lankan counterparts (please don't come after me with pointy sticks).

Anyway, I first saw the film directed by Chandran Rutnam and starring Ashan Dias and Suranga Ranawaka on a bumpy bus from Kandy. It intrigued me enough to want to get hold of the book, but everyone I asked how it was would go 'ehhh... it's OK.'

Luckily, I found an old copy lying
Malsha
Nihal de Silva`s masterpiece is more than just a story about a war ravaging a country. It`s about love finding way through war, it`s about humanity seeping through the cracks of war which divides human race and kills when in fact, it should make love and spread peace. It`s about enemies finding a common ground.

If you are a Sri Lankan and if you haven`t read Nihal de Silva`s The Road from Elephant Pass, you must grab it and devour it because it will talk to your heart unlike any other book.

Amo
I started reading this book while I was holidaying in Sri Lanka. This is the second book I have read of this author and his writing is always interesting. It's so flawlessly written always. It's interesting to see as you flick through the pages the relationship between Kamala and Captain keeps growing and growing and the hatred between them just disappears and turns into this beautiful love story. Overall excellent book to read and tough one to put down once you do.
Dishan Rajapaksha
Another Great piece of writing by Nihal De Silva, story flows interesting followed by curiosity. Use of local variations of English is appreciable. Sometimes I felt the story is far from the believing but its not something to think so much about, after all this is a fiction :D
Use of this book as a part of reconciliation process between Sinhalese and Tamils makes this much more than just another book.
Elizabeth Wood
Borrowed Book:
I was lent this book by a friend because I had just been to Sri Lanka and although I would have liked more about the background to the situation, I did enjoy the story and the relationship between the Tamil woman and the Sinhalese soldier developed well. I was a little confused as to where they were going and why at first, but it all seemed clear by the end.
Andrew Eugene
a total review has been submitted to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roa... The Road From Elephant Pass by Nihal de Silva
Melissa
I started reading this, but it is on hold. Not yet able to get into it. I finally decided to abandon this book and give it back, since I had no interest in picking it up to read again.
Shashi
One of the few i wanted to see in a movie.... even had a actor in mind, nevertheless De Silva is one of the few i loved from the Sri Lankan English writers.
Kaushalya
One of the few Sri Lankan English I have enjoyed. There are a few inconsistencies in the characters, which the author has explained away quite glibly though.
Shaly Rauss
Quiet interesting... and gave me an insight of the life in Sri Lanka at a particular time.... Couldn't believe its the same place i visited..... :(
Mia
despite being an interesting story, one of the worst-written books i've read in a very, very long time. probably ever.
Megara
Thrilling story about love, deception and war. While that might sound typical, this book is a definite-must read.
Hiruni Gunaratne
One of the best books I have read so far! =)
Zamrin
this book reeils about the truth in human beins
Ashareich
Loved this book...
Moditha
This is a book that is expressing the truth without fear. Sri Lankan army is terribly stupid and the tigers are so intelligent. This is based on the tiger invasion of the camp of elephant pass.
Ovini
Ovini added it
Mar 02, 2015
Madhu
Madhu marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Jeruby
Jeruby marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Malith
Malith marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • Mosquito
  • A Disobedient Girl
  • The Beach at Galle Road: Stories
  • The Cage: The Fight for Sri Lanka and the Last Days of the Tamil Tigers
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • The Fourth Treasure
  • The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, Gods, Demons, And Others
  • Cantor's Dilemma
  • The Hamilton Case
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • Family
  • Tanamera
The Giniralla Conspiracy ; Five Journals of Sujatha Mallika The Far Spent Day Paduma Meets The Sunbird: Stories From Paduma's World The Giniralla Conspiracy arathi