Start by marking “The Road From Elephant Pass” as Want to Read:
The Road From Elephant Pass

The Road From Elephant Pass

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The Road From Elephant Pass won the 2003 Gratiaen Prize for creative writing in English “for its moving story, for its constant feel of real life, for its consistency of narrative momentum, for its descriptive power, for its dramatic use of dialogue to define social context, capture character psychology, and trace the development of a relationship, for its convincing demon ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 359 pages
Published 2003 by Vijitha Yapa Publications

Dash
Jul 25, 2012 Dash rated it really liked it
I got a rather, mussed-up copy of this novel from the dying remains of the library of the British Council in Kandy a couple of months before the movie came out.
I hadn't read any books written by my compatriots until then, probably because of the natural distrust you develop against your own kind.
But I stand corrected! Nihal De Silva, now dead and gone, spun a wonderful tale of intrigue and adventure coupled with a haunting romance between a Sinhalese soldier boy and a Tamil terrorist girl.
I am
Amalie
An Army Officer's routine assignment to pick up a woman informant near Jaffna turns into a nightmare when the LTTE launches a massive attack on the peninsula and the camp at Elephant Pass. Then the two adversaries are forced to escape together through the rebel held Wanni and later, cross the abandoned Wilpattu National Park on foot. The constant external dangers and their enforced dependence on each other, gradually erodes their enmity and distrust. But when they finally reach Colombo, Wasantha ...more
Shane
Dec 22, 2008 Shane rated it really liked it
A great geographical tour of the northern part of war torn Sri Lanka. Silva paints the land and its denizens brilliantly. I found the relationship between the male and female leads to be a bit stilted and the translation from Sinhala to English a bit repetitive - but certainly Silva's courage, for which he later lost his life in the same region due to a land mine explosion, is clear. I am not sure any other writer would want to venture where he dared to go.
Dilipickle
If he just shut up about the birds and re-thought the end, this book could've been quite something.
Vasika Udurawane
Mar 23, 2015 Vasika Udurawane rated it liked it
I read this text as an A/L text and well, watched the movie too. I'm rather sorry that we had to torment ourselves with it and I'm seriously beginning to doubt Chandram Ratnam's efforts as a filmmaker. I don't really know about his body of work anyway, being a Colombo kid so I'm not in a position to judge. As for the author, all I've read except for this was "The Ginirella Conspiracy", which I enjoyed somewhat more than this particular book.
As for the movie, well I have one thing to say. It colo
Princess Hana
Apr 04, 2013 Princess Hana rated it really liked it
what caught me was the climax of the romance of wasantha n valeithan who begin the journey as incipient lovers.one would not believe that there's romance in this novel on account of the antagonistic attitude both returns equally at the very begining only to witness the awesome intimacy gradually brew between the two parties who seemed poles apart towards the end of the novel<>.how wasantha becomes the rightful heir to kamala's body with the determined killing of sexual enemies one by one a ...more
Nov 11, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
this book was very hard to read because hindsite being 20-20 and all. It was very painful because having been to sri lanka, being familiar with the area, knowing about the struggle, it was a book that was very close to my heart. Knowing that the author had a keen love of wildlife and nature, and knowing of his love of wilpattu national park, you can really see it in the book. He kind of reminded me of Tom Thomson and Algonquin Park, so many similarities. How their art reflected their love of nat ...more
Dishan Rajapaksha
Nov 02, 2015 Dishan Rajapaksha rated it liked it
Another Great piece of writing by Nihal De Silva, story flows interestingly followed by curiosity. Use of local variations of English is appreciable. Sometimes I felt that the story sets itself far from the believability but it's not something to think much about, after all this is a fiction.
Use of this book as a part of reconciliation process between Sinhalese and Tamils makes this much more than just another book.
Kaveen Rodrigo
Dec 16, 2015 Kaveen Rodrigo rated it really liked it
Excuse the crudity of this review; Just got back into reading. Bought this book from a second-hand book shop, enjoyed every page the author keeps the reader stuck to the book, can’t believe I read it this quick.The author takes us on journey with enough of details that allows to imagine every scene vividly. One has to appreciate the imagination of the author. Way the author conveys the relationships between the characters throughout the book is just great. Highly recommend everyone this great pi ...more
Minoli
Mar 20, 2016 Minoli rated it it was ok
I have watched the movie of that was based on the book, so the plot wasn't that much of a shock. I found the book to be okay, nothing extraordinary. Perhaps this is because I judge Sri Lankan books that have the civil war/racial riots pretty harshly. I kept wondering if the author has done enough research to claim that he has claimed in the book. All in all, an okay read. But can't hold a candle-light to Ginirella Conspiracy by the same author, which was a brilliant book except he messed up the ...more
Kaveen Rodrigo
Sep 24, 2015 Kaveen Rodrigo rated it really liked it
Excuse the crudity of this review; Just got back into reading. Bought this book from a second hand book shop, enjoyed every page the author keeps the reader stuck to the book, can't believe I read it this quick.

Highly recommend everyone this great p
Raisa
Jan 05, 2013 Raisa rated it liked it
The Road from Elephant Pass won the Graetian Prize in 2003. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it's amazing, just perhaps slightly better than its Sri Lankan counterparts (please don't come after me with pointy sticks).

Anyway, I first saw the film directed by Chandran Rutnam and starring Ashan Dias and Suranga Ranawaka on a bumpy bus from Kandy. It intrigued me enough to want to get hold of the book, but everyone I asked how it was would go 'ehhh... it's OK.'

Luckily, I found an old copy lying
Malsha
Aug 27, 2014 Malsha rated it it was amazing
Nihal de Silva`s masterpiece is more than just a story about a war ravaging a country. It`s about love finding way through war, it`s about humanity seeping through the cracks of war which divides human race and kills when in fact, it should make love and spread peace. It`s about enemies finding a common ground.

If you are a Sri Lankan and if you haven`t read Nihal de Silva`s The Road from Elephant Pass, you must grab it and devour it because it will talk to your heart unlike any other book.

Stephen Castley
Jun 23, 2015 Stephen Castley rated it it was amazing
It is good enough to read again, and that is what I've just done. I read it a few years ago and loved it. I've just had a trip to Sri Lanka and visited Elephant pass and Jaffna, so read this book again. It is even better on the second read. Nihal de Silva was an amazing and talented story teller. Sadly there will not be a sequel. Read the book and visit Sri Lanka. Neither will disappoint you.
Sandesh Bartlett
Jan 05, 2016 Sandesh Bartlett rated it liked it
There is something comfortable in reading RFEP. Though I must say I hated it at first since it was a text we had to read for our local English Literature Paper. ND has his moments in the book, though I must express my distaste for local literature that dwells on Sri Lanka's most unsavoury aspect of history - it's civil war. But I can't complain really , it's a decent read.
Amo
Jan 21, 2014 Amo rated it really liked it
I started reading this book while I was holidaying in Sri Lanka. This is the second book I have read of this author and his writing is always interesting. It's so flawlessly written always. It's interesting to see as you flick through the pages the relationship between Kamala and Captain keeps growing and growing and the hatred between them just disappears and turns into this beautiful love story. Overall excellent book to read and tough one to put down once you do.
Liz Neale
Jul 11, 2016 Liz Neale rated it it was amazing
An Army officer's routine assignment to pick up a woman informant near Jaffna turns
into a nightmare when the Tigers launch a massive attack on the peninsula and the camp
at Elephant Pass. The two adversaries are forced to escape together through the rebel
held Wanni and later, cross the abandoned Wilpattu National Park on foot. Bitter enemies
at the start of their journey but gradually they become depend on each other.
Lal
Elizabeth
May 24, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Borrowed Book:
I was lent this book by a friend because I had just been to Sri Lanka and although I would have liked more about the background to the situation, I did enjoy the story and the relationship between the Tamil woman and the Sinhalese soldier developed well. I was a little confused as to where they were going and why at first, but it all seemed clear by the end.
Andrew Eugene
Jan 19, 2014 Andrew Eugene rated it really liked it
a total review has been submitted to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roa... The Road From Elephant Pass by Nihal de Silva
Melissa
Nov 24, 2009 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
I started reading this, but it is on hold. Not yet able to get into it. I finally decided to abandon this book and give it back, since I had no interest in picking it up to read again.
Kaushalya
May 23, 2016 Kaushalya rated it liked it
One of the few Sri Lankan English novels I have enjoyed. There are a few inconsistencies in the characters, which the author has explained away quite glibly though.
Shashi
Jun 25, 2009 Shashi rated it really liked it
One of the few i wanted to see in a movie.... even had a actor in mind, nevertheless De Silva is one of the few i loved from the Sri Lankan English writers.
Shaly Rauss
Sep 04, 2013 Shaly Rauss rated it liked it
Quiet interesting... and gave me an insight of the life in Sri Lanka at a particular time.... Couldn't believe its the same place i visited..... :(
Mia
Sep 05, 2010 Mia rated it did not like it
despite being an interesting story, one of the worst-written books i've read in a very, very long time. probably ever.
Megara
Aug 25, 2010 Megara rated it really liked it
Thrilling story about love, deception and war. While that might sound typical, this book is a definite-must read.
Hiruni Gunaratne
Jul 23, 2012 Hiruni Gunaratne rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read so far! =)
Zamrin
Dec 12, 2009 Zamrin rated it really liked it
this book reeils about the truth in human beins
Ashareich
  • Tamil Tigress
  • A Disobedient Girl
  • The Fourth Treasure
  • Tanamera
  • The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, Gods, Demons, And Others
  • The Cage: The Fight for Sri Lanka and the Last Days of the Tamil Tigers
  • Cantor's Dilemma
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • Inside an Elusive Mind: Prabhakaran: The First Profile of the World's Most Ruthless Guerrilla Leader
  • Family