Start by marking “Changing of the Guard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #8)” as Want to Read:
Changing of the Guard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #8)

Changing of the Guard (Tom Clancy's Net Force #8)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Though the head of a major multinational corporation -- and a key player in world affairs -- Samuel Walker Cox has a past that few people know about. But that group is about to get bigger. A computer disk has fallen into the hands of the Net Force, outing the powerful American businessman as a former Russian spy. Cox is willing to see the world in ruins to protect his name ...more
Audio CD
Published December 23rd 2003 by HarperAudio (first published December 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Changing of the Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing of the Guard

AndrewP
Book 8 of this series takes a shift from the previous books. As the title says it's all change with the top personal at Net Force. Alex, Toni and General Howard are all moving on and new people are taking their places. That's the background and quite a bit of this book is spent introducing their replacements, each with quirky hobbies and interests.

There is an espionage story here too, but this used a major plot point that was a repetition of something in one of the previous books. I found this
An Odd1
*** "Changing of the guard" is the 8th Net Force created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, but written by Steve Perry and Larry Segriff. All but whiz kid Jay are moving on. Par usual, the book opens with the death of a spy on 'our' American side, who dies to save a mysterious encoded list. Jay translates details for Soviet agents, but gets stuck when the location nears N.A. As usual, the evil billionaire sets his extreme fixer to prevent his own disclosure by Net. The usual tedious specialized ...more
Clay
Rachel
Jan 01, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy fans, Net Force fans, Steve Perry fans, men's adventure
Shelves: military, fiction
Indeed, this book begins with the retirement of the main characters, and the introduction of an entirely new suite of characters (except for the continuity of Jay Gridley, pretty much the defining character of the series). This book lives up to the snappier pace of the previous one, and romance, religion (of varied sorts), and violence immediately enter the lives of the new characters.

In this book, Jay starts decoding a list of Russian spies, and as he makes progress, a wealthy businessman reali
Jim
4 of 5 stars for the book Net Force #8: Changing of the Guard by Tom Clancy (Audio edition). Let's start with the fact that I am a big fan of Tom Clancy and a fan of the Net Force series. I have been reading the series in sequence as there are continuing characters and sub-story-lines. The main focus of this book is several of our Net Force staffers have decided to retire leaving the agency and introducing new replacements. Our techie Jay Gridley continues with Net Force. The plot of this book i ...more
Elyse
Not my favorite of the Net Force series, though a fun read. My main critique is the character development. Tedious detail about guitar playing and/or sword fighting doesn't really develop character or plot, imo.

That said, I thought the surfacing from coma for Jay was masterfully and creatively described. Four stars for that alone.
Tony
My first Net Force story from Clancy. Previously had only read "traditional" Clancy novels (Clear and Present Danger, etc). This is a different genre, although there are similarities with his earlier writing.

The characters seem more two-dimensional in this book, and the story does not have the compexity of Clancy's 'traditional' work. Ending was a bit of a surprise.

Still, I'd give another Net Force book chance, though I wouldn't buy it. I found the original in a paperback library at work, so i
Anthony
I enjoyed the book the moment I started reading the first page. Already your taking part in the life of an agent. (view spoiler) Once back in America you then follow the lives of Net Force's agents who are tasked with protecting America from terrorist.
Geo Gosling
It was good except there were a couple chapters all about fencing: the terminology, the maneuvers, the strategy, and on and on and on... at least it seemed like it. The chapters became excruciatingly long and I didn't feel they added a thing to the story - which was quite good - but actually took away from it. If I had even the slightest interest in fencing, I would have been stoked to read this book, but I don't.
Steve
Not written by Clancy, and I can tell. The topic is conceived by Clancy and written by Steve Perry. Moved slowly. I only kept reading because I was looking for a distraction.
Stick with Clancy.
Martin
Už to chtělo změnu a novou partu si asi oblíbím. Víc není co dodat, osmý díl série, pořád to samé, pořád dobré.
Joyce McKune
Not my favorite. Junk about guitars & fencing that just cluttered up the story.
Herman G.
Apparently next month will be a huge breakthrough in VR technology...
Marilyn
tom Clancy's always great...and this one is no exception.
Stephen Coleman
Thought provoking. So long ago that I read this.
Robert Chatman
Robert Chatman marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Ron W
Ron W added it
Aug 17, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Runaways (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #16)
  • High Wire (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #14)
  • The Hunted (Tom Clancy's EndWar, #2)
  • The Great Race (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #7)

Tom Clancy's Net Force (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)
  • Hidden Agendas (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #2)
  • Night Moves (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #3)
  • Breaking Point (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #4)
  • Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)
  • Cybernation (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #6)
  • State of War (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #7)
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • The Archimedes Effect (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #10)
  • Code War (Net Force 2018, #1)
Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars) Breaking Point (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #4) Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1) Hidden Agendas (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #2) Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)