Start by marking “Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)” as Want to Read:
Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)

Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,594 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Tom Clancy's latest love-letter to the military-industrial complex focuses on the Army--and Fred Franks, a general who helped smash Iraq in the Gulf War. In this first volume of a series on the intricacies of military command, Clancy traces the organizational success story of the U.S. Army's rise from the slough of Vietnam to the heights of victory in the Persian Gulf. In ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley Trade (first published May 19th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Storm

Tom Kauffman
Jan 13, 2013 Tom Kauffman rated it it was ok
Popular author Tom Clancy, well known for his techno-filled espionage super-thriller novels has been able to impart on his readers a certain air of plausibility through the extremely tight plots and concise attention to technical detail his fiction novels portray. Over the years, Clancy has capitalized on this trust by publishing a series of nonfiction ‘Guided Tour’ books that describe how military units and certain systems operate, giving the reader a very detailed and highly glamorized view of ...more
Mike Gurney
Jun 14, 2013 Mike Gurney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
You have to first understand that I was with the VII Corps G2 (Intelligence) Planning Group during Desert Shield and Through Desert Storm. I had the honor and prvivledge of sitting at many of the planning sessions with General Franks.

With that said, Clancy and Franks have done a fantastic job with this book. It not only tells the story of the Iraqi ground war but also gives us the history of many of those who were involved. This is important to understand the hows and whys of certain decisions m
Apr 30, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has been on my reading list for a very long time – over a decade actually. I am glad, however, that it’s taken so long for me to read, since I believe I understand the full import of what Franks was attempting to communicate. The emphasis is on the adaptability of the modern U.S. Army. His focus is not so much on tactical adaptability – though that certainly is a large part of his story – but on the long-term adaptability. Seeing how the robust changes that were necessary and rigorously ...more
K.B. Knight
Jun 14, 2015 K.B. Knight rated it it was amazing
This is the first actual book I ever read on The Gulf War (recommended by my cousin) and I couldn't have been more pleased. I was very familiar with Tom Clancy, but I never knew he wrote this book.
I have always been fascinated with history and wars... dating back to my junior high school days.
Tom executes this book flawlessly. And to have Frank ( A general I only read about online) play a role in the creation of this art only cements its place at being a great book.

Alex Black
Apr 04, 2014 Alex Black rated it liked it
A worthwhile look at the planning of a large-scale military campaign and its execution. Also, what a general's eye view of an armored corps in action looks like. The sections written by Clancy go over the top as far as patriotic language. Those penned by General Franks, however, are lucid and informative.The book has aged fairly well since my last read through, about fifteen years ago.
Ne ho letti di mattoni, ma questo è davvero illeggibile: non sono riuscito a superare le 60 pagine.
Un'agiografia del generale Franks farcita di dettagli così inutili e insignificanti da far crescere il muschio sugli occhi.
Nov 02, 2008 bkwurm rated it it was ok
Very light on what actually happened during the operation against the Iraqi army, the focus of the book was on General Franks and the decisions he made in the command tent based on the information he had.

A pity, as it would have been highly illuminating to see how his subordinates reacted to the orders they received form him and how their commanders dealt with those and so on all the way down to the units on the ground.

As it was, the book largely read like an attempt by General Franks to vindica
Jun 02, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
An interesting story told by Tom Clancy about and with the perspective of General Frederick Franks. From his time in Vietnam, his injury and recuperation, to leading VII Corps in Iraq with the famous "left hook", it doesn't get much more honest than this. If you want to learn about the on the ground details of the Gulf War, and the other side of the controversy between Franks and Schwarzkopf, then this book is a fantastic history lesson. Very technical reading which was at times difficult to fol ...more
Scott Walter
Sep 13, 2014 Scott Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done with some great insights. This is the first account I have read about the first Iraq war. It was engaging with the right amount of detail. General Frank's predictions about future warfare is spot on. Recommend for anyone interested in the history of Desert Storm.
Jan 01, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: military-history
I enjoyed this book when it dealt with people's stories and experiences. When it delved into technical language and statistics, though, it became something of a slog to get through. I recommend Into the Storm to military history buffs with a taste for facts.
Jun 21, 2015 Jesse.swanzy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Army Leaders
Had some good insights into the Gulf War, to include an alternative perspective to Norman Schwarzkopf, also some leadership nuggets taken away.
Don't remember when I finished this, but overall was a good read.

Roger Miller
May 19, 2013 Roger Miller rated it did not like it
Shelves: history, leadership
I have never been a Clancy fan way too many details and never enough story! Read this book because Bill Hybels recomended it, felt like I had to move a mountain of earth for one or two nuggets.
Oct 03, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
A good and interesting account of what you may not have heard about the 1991 Iraq conflict from the General in charge. Contains useful accounts of personal strength and determination.
Aug 02, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
I enjoy Tom Clancy books and this was very thoroughas usual. This might be boring to some since it written about command. If you are a military buff fan, it is a good reference.
J.M. Lominy
Jul 08, 2013 J.M. Lominy rated it it was amazing
Tom Clancy is epic with his writing. His books are big, as in text book big. He keeps you well engaged with wonderful thrilling action that does not give up until the final page.
May 04, 2012 Eric added it
Fascinating book on Gulf War I with a lot of in depth detail explained in a well presented manner with simple to understand terminology. A must read for any military enthusiast.
Eric Berntson
Apr 15, 2011 Eric Berntson rated it really liked it
Currently reading, very interesting if you are interested in an overview from one generals point of view of the Desert Storm War. A little dry in places and needs more maps.
Greg Snyder
May 06, 2013 Greg Snyder rated it really liked it
I like Tom Clancy whether he writes fiction or non-fiction. This book is a very good detailed account of the first Desert Storm war.
Nov 09, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Second read for this book. I raarely re-read a book but this is one worth it...particularly for someone with a military background.
Jan 12, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
Very detailed study of higher command structures in the US Army during gulf war I. Classic non-fiction Clancy
Danish Shahab
Sep 21, 2012 Danish Shahab rated it really liked it
made me wonder how much of the insight(which was very detailed to say the least)he provided was actually true
Andy Mitchell
Valuable read, but I found it tough going. Not like being in VII Corps in Iraq, but a challenge.
Aaron Crofut
Sep 10, 2011 Aaron Crofut rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, war
Read this in high school. A pretty decent account of the VII Corps operation as viewed from HQ.
Jun 05, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
in depth military history of the ground portion of the first Iraq war--Clancy readable.
Sep 12, 2008 Ruthie rated it really liked it
Excellent review of the Gulf War. Great book for any leader to read.
Jan 17, 2012 Jpcueva rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
Read it loved it. Great thinking great leadership.
Apr 22, 2008 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good one by Clancy concerning the Iraq war.
Feb 03, 2008 Jeremy added it
Have this book...but I don't recall finishing it.
Jul 29, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Freddy Franks is my hero!
Tyler Montague
Apr 15, 2011 Tyler Montague rated it liked it
Tedious, yet interesting.
  • The Tom Clancy Companion (Revised)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
  • Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War
  • The Archimedes Effect (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #10)
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • Americans at War
  • The Forgotten War: America in Korea, 1950-1953
  • At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends
  • The Generals' War: The Inside Story Of The Conflict In The Gulf
  • High Wire (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #14)
  • The Hunted (Tom Clancy's EndWar, #2)
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of
More about Tom Clancy...

Commanders (4 books)
  • Every Man a Tiger: The Gulf War Air Campaign (Commanders)
  • Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces (Commanders)
  • Battle Ready (Commanders)