Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)

Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,102 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In his brilliant, bestselling novels, Tom Clancy has explored the most dramatic military and security issues of our time. Now he takes readers deep into the operational art of war with this insightful look at one of America's most important military engagements in recent years: the Gulf War.

Never before has the art of maneuver warfare been explored so incisively and in su
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Storm

Tom Kauffman
Popular author Tom Clancy, well known for his techno-filled espionage super-thriller novels has been able to impart on his readers a certain air of plausibility through the extremely tight plots and concise attention to technical detail his fiction novels portray. Over the years, Clancy has capitalized on this trust by publishing a series of nonfiction ‘Guided Tour’ books that describe how military units and certain systems operate, giving the reader a very detailed and highly glamorized view of...more
Michael
This one has been on my reading list for a very long time – over a decade actually. I am glad, however, that it’s taken so long for me to read, since I believe I understand the full import of what Franks was attempting to communicate. The emphasis is on the adaptability of the modern U.S. Army. His focus is not so much on tactical adaptability – though that certainly is a large part of his story – but on the long-term adaptability. Seeing how the robust changes that were necessary and rigorously...more
Alex Black
A worthwhile look at the planning of a large-scale military campaign and its execution. Also, what a general's eye view of an armored corps in action looks like. The sections written by Clancy go over the top as far as patriotic language. Those penned by General Franks, however, are lucid and informative.The book has aged fairly well since my last read through, about fifteen years ago.
Mike Gurney
You have to first understand that I was with the VII Corps G2 (Intelligence) Planning Group during Desert Shield and Through Desert Storm. I had the honor and prvivledge of sitting at many of the planning sessions with General Franks.

With that said, Clancy and Franks have done a fantastic job with this book. It not only tells the story of the Iraqi ground war but also gives us the history of many of those who were involved. This is important to understand the hows and whys of certain decisions m...more
bkwurm
Very light on what actually happened during the operation against the Iraqi army, the focus of the book was on General Franks and the decisions he made in the command tent based on the information he had.

A pity, as it would have been highly illuminating to see how his subordinates reacted to the orders they received form him and how their commanders dealt with those and so on all the way down to the units on the ground.

As it was, the book largely read like an attempt by General Franks to vindica...more
Paul
An interesting story told by Tom Clancy about and with the perspective of General Frederick Franks. From his time in Vietnam, his injury and recuperation, to leading VII Corps in Iraq with the famous "left hook", it doesn't get much more honest than this. If you want to learn about the on the ground details of the Gulf War, and the other side of the controversy between Franks and Schwarzkopf, then this book is a fantastic history lesson. Very technical reading which was at times difficult to fol...more
Scott Walter
Well done with some great insights. This is the first account I have read about the first Iraq war. It was engaging with the right amount of detail. General Frank's predictions about future warfare is spot on. Recommend for anyone interested in the history of Desert Storm.
Roger Miller
I have never been a Clancy fan way too many details and never enough story! Read this book because Bill Hybels recomended it, felt like I had to move a mountain of earth for one or two nuggets.
Greg
A good and interesting account of what you may not have heard about the 1991 Iraq conflict from the General in charge. Contains useful accounts of personal strength and determination.
Dan
I enjoy Tom Clancy books and this was very thoroughas usual. This might be boring to some since it written about command. If you are a military buff fan, it is a good reference.
J.M. Lominy
Tom Clancy is epic with his writing. His books are big, as in text book big. He keeps you well engaged with wonderful thrilling action that does not give up until the final page.
Eric
May 04, 2012 Eric added it
Fascinating book on Gulf War I with a lot of in depth detail explained in a well presented manner with simple to understand terminology. A must read for any military enthusiast.
Eric Berntson
Currently reading, very interesting if you are interested in an overview from one generals point of view of the Desert Storm War. A little dry in places and needs more maps.
Greg Snyder
I like Tom Clancy whether he writes fiction or non-fiction. This book is a very good detailed account of the first Desert Storm war.
Scott
Second read for this book. I raarely re-read a book but this is one worth it...particularly for someone with a military background.
Aaron
Very detailed study of higher command structures in the US Army during gulf war I. Classic non-fiction Clancy
Danish Shahab
made me wonder how much of the insight(which was very detailed to say the least)he provided was actually true
Andy Mitchell
Valuable read, but I found it tough going. Not like being in VII Corps in Iraq, but a challenge.
Aaron Crofut
Read this in high school. A pretty decent account of the VII Corps operation as viewed from HQ.
Daniel
in depth military history of the ground portion of the first Iraq war--Clancy readable.
Ruthie
Excellent review of the Gulf War. Great book for any leader to read.
Jpcueva
Read it loved it. Great thinking great leadership.
Ron
A good one by Clancy concerning the Iraq war.
Jeremy
Feb 03, 2008 Jeremy added it
Have this book...but I don't recall finishing it.
Bill
Freddy Franks is my hero!
Tyler Montague
Tedious, yet interesting.
Gary
The review of the war that I served in.
John Stevens
John Stevens marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Americans at War
  • Crusade in Europe
  • Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War
  • American Soldier
  • Ripples of Battle: How Wars of the Past Still Determine How We Fight, How We Live & How We Think
  • Special Ops (Brotherhood of War, #9)
  • The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World: From Marathon to Waterloo
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • The Price of Admiralty: The Evolution of Naval Warfare from Trafalgar to Midway
  • The Savage Wars Of Peace: Small Wars And The Rise Of American Power
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950
  • Infantry Attacks
  • A Soldier's Story
  • First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)