Start by marking “Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Homecoming

John Bradshaw

Homecoming

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  37 reviews
This landmark ten-part PBS television series on Bradshaw's Inner Child work was nominated for an Emmy award in 1991. Taped before a live audience with excerpts from his Inner Child workshops, this audio assists in discovering and reclaiming our wounded inner child. 10 cassettes.
Hardcover
Published August 1st 1990 by Bantam Books (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

James
I went to a "Healing the Shame That Binds You" presentation by John Bradshaw back in the early seventies. He spoke to a crowd of just over a thousand people and at times when he was sharing stories of his personal shame scenerios you could literally hear a pin drop. This guy knows how to shed light on those dark painful areas that we hold inside. Reading his books and watching the series he had on PBS years ago changed my life for the better! Thank You John Bradshaw!
Tilda
Despite its popularity, I didn't like this book. I didn't finish it because I really didn't like it. The style of writing is too airy-fairy, lots of nice sounding fluffy words but lacking any real substance. Plus his arguments are not solid and he contradicts himself a lot.

Example of what I consider a strange sentence: "The feeling of unified wholeness and completeness is the true meaning of perfection ..."

Is it?? It that really the definition of "perfection"? If someone walked up to me and as
marie monroe
this book changed my life. i recommend it to everyone who lived at the mercy of distressed adults (even for the proverbial minute), and/or who grew up uncomfortable, embarrassed, ashamed and distressed themselves. plus, if you have, or ever had, an addiction or other compulsion (like perfectionism), this is hard-hitting like a velvet hammer and a cuddle hybrid. it just might just take you home.
Kris Irvin
This book has some very fascinating information, if you can suspend your cynicism long enough to get into it. I greatly enjoyed reading the first half and felt like the author knew my exact situation because of the scarily accurate "diagnosis" he gave. But once I got to the exercises, I lost interest. I'd like to know how to heal my inner child without having to do weird meditations, thank you. Actually, I'm not sure I believe in the whole concept of an inner child, I thought it was kind of hoke ...more
Gerry
Someone had mentioned the name of the author and I was interested to find out more and I am really happy that I picked up this book and I really enjoyed the journey of connecting with my various child selves whilst reading the book I felt connected and with the useful comments of what I would be feeling at various stages I gained that immediate connection with your child self and the focus on making connections with all the younger parts of me at various stages of development was a wonderful exp ...more
Lisa
May 08, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: therapists and people in recovery
This is an excellent way to work through the process of healing and reclaiming your 'inner child." It's great to do this individually or with a therapist. Gets into deeper psychological healing for trauma/neglect at all developmental stages.
Madeline
This book is very near and dear to me as it was the 1st book I read at 18 after giving birth and beginning my journey of healing and self-discovery.
Katja
I had mixed reactions to this book. On the one hand, the basic concept (how childhood wounds escalate into adult problems) is incredibly important. However, this book is a product of its time. Among other things, Bradshaw posits that repression causes cancer, and preaches Freud’s theory of psychosexual stages (oral, anal, etc.) which is no longer practiced or taken seriously in psychology. Additionally, many people won’t enjoy the implicit gender role stereotypes that abound in this book. Howeve ...more
Paul Lyons
Interesting self-help book that guides the reader into getting in touch and embracing one's inner child. Author John Bradshaw offers a variety of methods in order to achieve this task...including group work and individual meditations and affirmations...yet "Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child" is most effective in its example...specifically the stories Bradshaw offers about his own life.

Resistance to the methods offered in the book is only natural, and not everything mentione
Courtney Meadows
Bradshaw is an advocate for the inner child and for recognizing the effect of early trauma on personality development. This book offers some good guided meditations/exercises to help you explore the truth of your own experiences - and a compassionate, open arms approach to the parts of you that were harmed originally.
Julie Connor
John Bradshaw shows how we can care for the inner child within us and offer to ourselves the nurturing we craved and longed for. Bradshaw exposes shame, explains how to replace negative self-talk with healthy affirmations, and invites readers to learn how to take good care of themselves.
Jenneffer
What I liked most about this book is that the author draws from his personal experience, as well as philosophers and psychologists. It is rather "fluffy" at times, but I feel the message is powerful and substantial. The messenger and the vehicles are merely that; just means of delivery. I have yet to put some of his suggestions into action, but I plan on trying. It has been healing and illuminating for me, to make sense of my emotions and experiences.
David
Bradshaw shed light as to connecting with your "inner child". He defines this to be your young self that resides inside of you regardless of your age. He goes into steps to reconnect with your real self, brings to light concepts such as "Iamness" - your belief that you belong on this world, and you deserve to be loved and accepted regardless of your caregivers.

An excellent resource for those that grew up with dysfunctional parents/caregivers.
Phillip Ellington
So many personal development books lazily repeat the same simple truths with a few new anecdotes confettied around. But this, set out like a text book, with exercises, is a really original and powerful workbook for self healing and spiritual integration. Bradshaw pioneered 'inner child' work and this is still its best introduction.
Bethany
Hmmm, touched on some of the techniques in the trauma therapy I am doing, but this guy sort of took it and ran with it and then baked it into a fruitcake. Really cheesy, sort of Freudian. That being said, the main theory behind it is helpful. But I wouldn't spend $17 on it again.
Michelle Kohler
I gave this book 5 stars because it's the 2nd time I've read it. And I'll read it again. I had to buy another copy to read it the 2nd time because I gave my first copy away. It's that good.
The author leads you to seeing the child inside of you in a gentle loving way.
Crystal Falconer
This novel turns out to be sortof christian-oriented, which I wasn't expecting, but there were some excellent passages. Very interesting overview of how our innocence is lost, and how to find peace.
Talya
You really need to be under the care of a very competent therapist to support you through the exercises in this book. I listened to the audio version which made the meditation portion easier.
Diane
This book changed my life. I can't express adequately how grateful I am my mother read it and shared it with me when I was still a teenager.
Carel
I liked the notion of understanding and healing the "inner child". It is important to forgive ourselves and move on
Angela
Apr 25, 2010 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Friend at church
I didn't do the meditation exercises, felt a bit awkward, but this book does have some good information.
Kimberly Simmons
im just into the 1st chapter and its a big eye opener into alot of things i do or ways i feel.
Jhanirca Vm
It might hurt more than help, u need support (professional) to process or exercise this book.
Linda Gumper
This was a great book that I used to help on my healing path. I would recommend it for others.
Cindy
This book wasn't helpful for me but I have a friend is growing a lot from her work with this book.
Colleen Bousquet
It would probably seem a little dry to some, but I am interested in this "stuff".
Kimiko
Am still learning from this book! How to address and heal your inner child.
Foxygiraffe
Didn't do the exercises, but there's some good stuff in there.
Edith
Jul 14, 2013 Edith marked it as leestip  ·  review of another edition
"Wanneer koesteren hoop betekent", uit Marga's boekenkast
Tinia Isaakidis
An incredible book. Reading parts over and over again.
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • Facing Love Addiction: Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love
  • The Farther Reaches of Human Nature (Esalen Book)
  • Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Identity: Youth and Crisis
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • Listening to Prozac
  • The Creative Fire
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life

John Bradshaw has been called "America's leading personal growth expert." The author of five New York Times bestsellers, Bradshaw On: The Family, Healing the Shame That Binds You, Homecoming, Creating Love, and Family Secrets. He created and hosted four nationally broadcast PBS television series based on his bes
More about John Bradshaw...
Healing the Shame that Binds You Bradshaw on the Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-Esteem Family Secrets: The Path to Self-Acceptance and Reunion Creating Love: The Next Great Stage of Growth Reclaiming Virtue: How We Can Develop the Moral Intelligence to Do the Right Thing at the Right Time for the Right Reason

“The wounded inner child contaminates intimacy in relationships because he has no sense of his authentic self. The greatest wound a child can receive is the rejection of his authentic self. When a parent cannot affirm his child’s feelings, needs, and desires, he rejects that child’s authentic self. Then, a false self must be set up.” 0 likes