Start by marking “Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Homecoming

John Bradshaw

Homecoming

Bij onze geboorte zijn we nog een onbeschreven blad. Dat onbeschreven blad, het kind in jezelf, zoals Bradshaw het noemt, wordt tijdens het opgroeien vaak verwond door bijvoorbeeld verlatenheid of een slecht functionerend gezinsverband. Dit leidt tot gevoelens van eenzaamheid, onzekerheid en verdriet. In ons verdere leven blijven wij functioneren volgens de patronen van de ...more
Hardcover
Published August 1st 1990 by Bantam Books (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Tilda
Oct 08, 2012 Tilda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its popularity, I didn't like this book. I didn't finish it because I really didn't like it. The style of writing is too airy-fairy, lots of nice sounding fluffy words but lacking any real substance. Plus his arguments are not solid and he contradicts himself a lot.

Example of what I consider a strange sentence: "The feeling of unified wholeness and completeness is the true meaning of perfection ..."

Is it?? It that really the definition of "perfection"? If someone walked up to me and as
James
Mar 27, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to a "Healing the Shame That Binds You" presentation by John Bradshaw back in the early seventies. He spoke to a crowd of just over a thousand people and at times when he was sharing stories of his personal shame scenerios you could literally hear a pin drop. This guy knows how to shed light on those dark painful areas that we hold inside. Reading his books and watching the series he had on PBS years ago changed my life for the better! Thank You John Bradshaw!
marie monroe
Feb 20, 2008 marie monroe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book changed my life. i recommend it to everyone who lived at the mercy of distressed adults (even for the proverbial minute), and/or who grew up uncomfortable, embarrassed, ashamed and distressed themselves. plus, if you have, or ever had, an addiction or other compulsion (like perfectionism), this is hard-hitting like a velvet hammer and a cuddle hybrid. it just might just take you home.
Kris Irvin
This book has some very fascinating information, if you can suspend your cynicism long enough to get into it. I greatly enjoyed reading the first half and felt like the author knew my exact situation because of the scarily accurate "diagnosis" he gave. But once I got to the exercises, I lost interest. I'd like to know how to heal my inner child without having to do weird meditations, thank you. Actually, I'm not sure I believe in the whole concept of an inner child, I thought it was kind of hoke ...more
Madeline
Jan 01, 2009 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very near and dear to me as it was the 1st book I read at 18 after giving birth and beginning my journey of healing and self-discovery.
Cindy
This book wasn't helpful for me but I have a friend is growing a lot from her work with this book.
Katja
Jul 29, 2012 Katja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed reactions to this book. On the one hand, the basic concept (how childhood wounds escalate into adult problems) is incredibly important. However, this book is a product of its time. Among other things, Bradshaw posits that repression causes cancer, and preaches Freud’s theory of psychosexual stages (oral, anal, etc.) which is no longer practiced or taken seriously in psychology. Additionally, many people won’t enjoy the implicit gender role stereotypes that abound in this book. Howeve ...more
Troy
Jun 19, 2015 Troy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a little distraught reading the first chapter of this book. The phrasing of things were making me feel, not very empowered. Granted, the subject matter should probably warrant that. The first chapter explains the types of "inner child" issues people have. There's a quiz at the end of the first chapter that tells you if the book is right for you or not. I do appreciate that the book has it's own filtering mechanism in the first chapter to tell you to read the rest or not. I ended up being f ...more
Lisa
May 08, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: therapists and people in recovery
This is an excellent way to work through the process of healing and reclaiming your 'inner child." It's great to do this individually or with a therapist. Gets into deeper psychological healing for trauma/neglect at all developmental stages.
Guna Meistere
Jun 25, 2015 Guna Meistere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are places in the heart which do not yet exist; pain must be in order that they be.
Iekšējā bērna dziedināšana.
Paul Lyons
Interesting self-help book that guides the reader into getting in touch and embracing one's inner child. Author John Bradshaw offers a variety of methods in order to achieve this task...including group work and individual meditations and affirmations...yet "Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child" is most effective in its example...specifically the stories Bradshaw offers about his own life.

Resistance to the methods offered in the book is only natural, and not everything mentione
Gerry
Nov 30, 2014 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
Someone had mentioned the name of the author and I was interested to find out more and I am really happy that I picked up this book and I really enjoyed the journey of connecting with my various child selves whilst reading the book I felt connected and with the useful comments of what I would be feeling at various stages I gained that immediate connection with your child self and the focus on making connections with all the younger parts of me at various stages of development was a wonderful exp ...more
Chintushig Tumenbayar
David
Jan 05, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Bradshaw shed light as to connecting with your "inner child". He defines this to be your young self that resides inside of you regardless of your age. He goes into steps to reconnect with your real self, brings to light concepts such as "Iamness" - your belief that you belong on this world, and you deserve to be loved and accepted regardless of your caregivers.

An excellent resource for those that grew up with dysfunctional parents/caregivers.
Jenneffer
May 10, 2013 Jenneffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked most about this book is that the author draws from his personal experience, as well as philosophers and psychologists. It is rather "fluffy" at times, but I feel the message is powerful and substantial. The messenger and the vehicles are merely that; just means of delivery. I have yet to put some of his suggestions into action, but I plan on trying. It has been healing and illuminating for me, to make sense of my emotions and experiences.
Isidro López
May 24, 2016 Isidro López rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Very interesting book, although I wouldn't recommended it to people with unhealed traumas who are not used to face them.
The only think that woke up some rejection to me, was the mentions to God of the author.

Excepting that, all the rest is really worthy to be read, even if it will be really tough at some parts.
Diana
Jan 01, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good, practical follow-up to Healing the Shame that Binds. A bit dated (not only references to cassette tapes, but also to the general psychological zeitgeist of the 1980's) but still very useful. Warm and empathetic, it is almost a workbook of self-healing. Now I just have to go back and do the exercises!
Courtney Waller
Apr 10, 2015 Courtney Waller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-therapy
Bradshaw is an advocate for the inner child and for recognizing the effect of early trauma on personality development. This book offers some good guided meditations/exercises to help you explore the truth of your own experiences - and a compassionate, open arms approach to the parts of you that were harmed originally.
Phillip Ellington
So many personal development books lazily repeat the same simple truths with a few new anecdotes confettied around. But this, set out like a text book, with exercises, is a really original and powerful workbook for self healing and spiritual integration. Bradshaw pioneered 'inner child' work and this is still its best introduction.
Bethany
Aug 29, 2009 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief
Hmmm, touched on some of the techniques in the trauma therapy I am doing, but this guy sort of took it and ran with it and then baked it into a fruitcake. Really cheesy, sort of Freudian. That being said, the main theory behind it is helpful. But I wouldn't spend $17 on it again.
Julie Connor
Apr 09, 2014 Julie Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Bradshaw shows how we can care for the inner child within us and offer to ourselves the nurturing we craved and longed for. Bradshaw exposes shame, explains how to replace negative self-talk with healthy affirmations, and invites readers to learn how to take good care of themselves.
Michelle
Aug 15, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing
I gave this book 5 stars because it's the 2nd time I've read it. And I'll read it again. I had to buy another copy to read it the 2nd time because I gave my first copy away. It's that good.
The author leads you to seeing the child inside of you in a gentle loving way.
Susan Girard
Feb 18, 2016 Susan Girard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have used this book as a teaching tool for many years. It is 'the Bible' in terms of healing the wounded child within. I have done this work myself and reclaimed my wounded inner child and I have taught countless classes in this method of healing. John Bradshaw is truly brilliant.
Angela
Apr 25, 2010 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Friend at church
I didn't do the meditation exercises, felt a bit awkward, but this book does have some good information.
Leanne
Aug 05, 2015 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, psychology
I remember this as a book that helped me accept myself a great deal and heal from some childhood pain.
Diane
Jun 27, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life. I can't express adequately how grateful I am my mother read it and shared it with me when I was still a teenager.
Kate Van asselt
great book for someone going through therapy, or is looking for some self-healing. the impact can be powerful. I highly suggest having a partner to work this.
Crystal Falconer
This novel turns out to be sortof christian-oriented, which I wasn't expecting, but there were some excellent passages. Very interesting overview of how our innocence is lost, and how to find peace.
Talya
Jul 24, 2012 Talya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
You really need to be under the care of a very competent therapist to support you through the exercises in this book. I listened to the audio version which made the meditation portion easier.
Carel
Jan 10, 2009 Carel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the notion of understanding and healing the "inner child". It is important to forgive ourselves and move on
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Art Is a Way of Knowing
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Love Is Letting Go of Fear
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction
  • Sadhana
  • Listening to Prozac
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives

John Bradshaw has been called "America's leading personal growth expert." The author of five New York Times bestsellers, Bradshaw On: The Family, Healing the Shame That Binds You, Homecoming, Creating Love, and Family Secrets. He created and hosted four nationally broadcast PBS television series based on his bes
More about John Bradshaw...

“Little girls are taught fairy tales that are filled with magic. Cinderella is taught to wait in the kitchen for a guy with the right shoe! Snow White is given the message that if she waits long enough, her prince will come. On a literal level, that story tells women that their destiny depends on waiting for a necrophile (someone who likes to kiss dead people) to stumble through the woods at the right time. Not a pretty picture!” 1 likes
“Control madness causes severe relationship problems. There is no way to be intimate with a partner who distrusts you. Intimacy demands that each partner accept the other just the way he or she is.” 0 likes