Start by marking “Pas de vacances pour Immense Savoir” as Want to Read:
Pas de vacances pour Immense Savoir

Pas de vacances pour Immense Savoir

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Roman de voyage. Roman de société.
Published December 24th 1992 by L'Ecole des loisirs (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Pas de vacances pour Immense Savoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pas de vacances pour Immense Savoir

Mitch
I am not sure why I didn't rate this one higher. It isn't a bad book at all; it just didn't strike me as better than average.

The storyline is a fantasy quest; a young student sets off in search of a miraculous sutra-scroll for his failing master. He is accompanied by a mythical creature who is trying to reconcile ancient values with the things he encounters in the modern world, often with mixed results.

The best bits, I felt, were those of cultural misunderstanding between the Chinese way(s) of l
Stephen Gallup
What a delightful book! The wife and daughter both became curious about it when they heard my laughter and saw how reluctant I was to put it down. And yet, despite the humor it's not just fluff. (Which puts me in mind of a forgettable novel by Douglas Adams, in which it felt as if the author were trying too hard to be funny -- because in that case without the giggles there wasn't much else.) If the humor were stripped out, The Laughing Sutra would still be an engaging story. This is my fourth ex ...more
Karen
I really liked this book. The story was a great mix of fantasy, history, loyalty, love, you name it and it was part of the story. The characters were interesting and I found myself rooting for them at every turn of theirs adventures.
tbears
Jun 29, 2008 tbears rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to tbears by: Dave
Will have you laughing out loud!
Marie
erinbobarin94
Owen Curtsinger
Character development and stylish prose are definitely not Salzman's strong points as a novelist; The Laughing Sutra floats along with almost no real convincing and vivid descriptions of characters or scenes. What the novel relies on to move along is the plot itself, and I found this strikingly similar to most actual Chinese classical works. From what I've read, many classical tales rely on the plot for power and effect, relaying the main idea (or teaching) through the situations that characters ...more
Alexander
Kevyn
This is a fable about the misadventures of a boy who is orphaned and then raised by a monk. To grant the monk/surrogate father's dying wish... which revolves around obtaining the Laughing Sutra... the boy Hsun-ching sets off on a journey with a companion, the mysterious Colonel Sun.

In addition to dealing with Chinese officials and American police officers, Hsun-ching must also deal with whether or not his traveling companion Colonel Sun is simply an incredibly crazy loon, or (could it be?) actua
Nesa Sivagnanam
Hsun-Ching is orphaned as a small child and is raised by the monk Wei-Ching, who teaches Hsun-Ching to read and write. Wei-Ching is a Buddhit scholar and has devoted his life to the collection and preservation of ancient scrolls, but it is the era of Chairman Mao and the Cultural Revolution, and many Buddhist relics are being destroyed. Wei-Ching and Hsun-Ching are attacked by a troupe of Red Guards, and Hsun-Ching is sent away to work on a farm in the countryside.

After ten years of enforced lab
Michelle Chan
The Laughing Sutra is based on Chinese Culture. At a young age, Hsun-Ching became an orphan. He was raised by Wei-Ching, a devoted Buddhist monk in search of the Laughing Sutra. The Laughing Sutra is a scroll which may reveal the path to enlightment. The only problem is that the scroll has been placed in the United States. In order to get in reach of the Laughing Sutra, they must travel. With traveling comes long journeys and with long journeys come great adventures.
A line that stood out to me i
Candice
I loved this book, and I can't wait to hear and meet Mark Salzman tomorrow! This is part fable, part adventure story and part buddy story. And it is very humorous at times. It's the story of a Chinese orphan, Hsun-ching, born near the beginning of the formation of the People's Republic of China. He is orphaned at a young age and saved by a mysterious stranger who delivers him into the care of an old monk, Wei-ching. Wei-ching has read all of the Buddhist texts except for the Laughing Sutra, now ...more
Maggie
This is an engaging fable about an orphan, Hsun-ching, raised by a Buddhist monk, Wei-ching, who hopes that in the future this young boy he is raising and educating will go to the U.S. to pursue acquiring the last of the sutras for the temple library, called The Laughing Sutra, which is purported to show the way to immortality. The young man, Hsun-Ching, is pulled into the Cultural Revolution, survives, and returns to the temple to find Wei-ching an elderly, sick man. Hsun-Ching decides to journ ...more
Abby
This book is a fast paced light read that will leave the reader feeling good at the end. Although the main character at times suffers there is an overall positive tone to the novel that is truly enjoyable.
A young boy is brought up by a Buddhist monk at the time of the Chinese revolution. He goes on a quest to find a missing sutra known as the Laughing Sutra that will bring enlightenment to the reader for the elderly monk. Accompanying him is a character out of Chinese fable never overtly identi
Fari
I had to read this for school.

I really didn't like it at first, and had it not been a school book I would have abandoned it. But I kept reading. And then it was amazing!

I loved the Colonel! Such a badass it was awesome!

I am so glad I read this! It was actually really funny at times.

See, here's the thing about books we read in school. I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have liked this book had I read it not for school. But for school books, we always talk about them and debate about them and do stuff for t
Kaethe
It was fine, I just find the humor in his non-fiction to be more natural.
Dirk
The first Mark Salzman book I read was Iron & Silk, a non-fiction book about the 2 years he spent teaching English in China while studying Kung Fu. It’s a really good book.

This book is also pretty good, though it’s fiction. The story is about a young Chinese man who travels to America to find the Laughing Sutra and bring it back to China so the old monk who raised him can read it before he die.

Along the way he meets a mysterious old man named Colonel Sun, a master martial artist, who decides
Rick Goff
Another book I burgled from ol' Dan's shelf is _The Laughing Sutra_ by Mark Salzman. A "sutra" is a scripture. So, for example, the Kama Sutra is a scripture concerning Kama, or pleasure. _The Laughing Sutra_ is the story of two men (an English teacher trained as a monk and a possibly ancient warrior) who travel from a remote Chinese village to San Francisco on a quest to retrieve the long lost sutra of the title. The novel is brief, charming, wise and funny. Really, you can't dislike this book. ...more
Ensiform
An orphan, aided by a mysterious, probably supernatural man who may be the Monkey King himself, sneaks out of China to find an ancient text for his ailing teacher. This is a funny book, a deft blend of history, fable, philosophy and adventure. Salzman uses his piercing observations on the East-West cultural gap to show the follies and strengths of both countries, creating a highly enjoyable and quite exciting modern folk tale. There are a few weaknesses, a few hints at later potentialities that ...more
Lauren
A fun adventure about a Chinese boy who journeys with a mysterious yellow-eyed stranger across China to San Francisco, on a mission to find the immortality-granting Laughing Sutra. I couldn't help but think that this book would be an excellent movie, which may mean that the mix of dialogue and action was just perfect. Pick it up!

It also gave me a glimpse of Chinese history/culture (which sadly, I don't know very much about) both from ancient traditions and the Cultural Revolution, and now I'd d
Laurie
An engaging story interwoven with Chinese history and mythology. I read it quickly and laughed out loud many times.
Shrijnana
For several years, I kept an extra copy of this book just so I could give it away if I met someone I thought would enjoy it. It's laugh-out-loud funny. It is a modern retelling of a classic Chinese tale (Monkey), but I don't think you need to know the original to appreciate it. Just enough passing knowledge of US and Chinese culture to get the satire. This might actually be my very favorite book of all time. (Forgive me JK Rowling!)
Christy Sibila
Salzman proves once again that he is a master storyteller. In The Laughing Sutra, a young orphaned Chinese boy is adopted by a monk. As a token of loyalty and love for his adopted father, he illegally travels to America to recover a missing sutra. Our hero is joined by a warrior who may or may not be thousands of years old. Hilarity and high adventure ensue. An incredibly satisfying, highly entertaining coming-of-age story.
Robert Nagle
This book turned out to be the most enjoyable thing I’ve read this year. A picaresque tale of a young Chinese monk wishing to travel to the US to locate some mythical Buddhist scripture. I laughed and laughed some more. I didn’t realize this until after reading, but the book is an homage to Journey to the West. I like the way the book has a mythical quality to it, a real source of humor once the story moves to the USA.
Jacquelyn
I read this on advice from a friend, a learned friend at that, who said "Who knows what this book is about?" Is it a comedy, an adventure, a gentle lesson in the road to enlightenment? I found it amusing and entertaining - very creative in combining Chinese myths, perspectives, and religion with western views. I liked how the two cultures looked at each other in bemusement. A fun book.
Nancy
a fun snark at social systems via a quest of a young monk and an ancient soldier/god, with some solid history shoring it up. a bit like Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was? not *quite* as madcap, but fun.
claire
Laugh-out-loud funny, this book really warmed the last month of winter for me. I'm sure it's rife with references to Chinese mythology that went right over my head, but Salzman leads us into the hearts of his characters in ways that carry those of us who may not catch those subtleties through a hilarious adventure through culture, time and humanity.
Molly
I love Mark Salzman. His books The Soloist and Lying Awake are two of my favourites. The Laughing Sutra is his first novel, and you can tell. The writing is not as well developed as his more current books, but the story is still interesting and the characters are good. It is entertaining, and a good adventure.
about this book 1 5 Apr 14, 2008 01:25AM
  • Q's Legacy
  • Time of the Dragons (Shike 1)
  • The Next One to Fall
  • Knitting Ganseys
  • Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
  • Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You: Stories
  • Summer of Love: A Time Travel
  • The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness (S U N Y Series in Transpersonal and Humanistic Psychology) (SUNY Series in Transpersonal Psychology)
  • Tomoe Gozen
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
  • Crystal Boys
  • Welcome to Higby
  • The Cracker Factory
Mark Salzman is an award-winning novelist and nonfiction author who has written on a variety of subjects, from a graceful novel about a Carmelite nun’s ecstatic visions and crisis of faith to a compelling memoir about growing up a misfit in a Connecticut suburb – clearly displaying a range that transcends genre. As a boy, all Salzman ever wanted was to be a Kung Fu master, but it was his proficien ...more
More about Mark Salzman...
Iron and Silk The Soloist True Notebooks: A Writer's Year at Juvenile Hall Lying Awake Lost In Place: Growing Up Absurd in Suburbia