Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Series: Resources for Changing Lives

Paperback: 253 pages
Publisher: Presbyterian & Reformed Pub Co (December 1997)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0875526012
ISBN-13: 978-0875526010
Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 5.4 x 0.8 inches
Shipping Weight: 11.2 ounces
Published December 1st 1997 by Presbyterian & Reformed Pub Co (first published 1997)

Josue Manriquez
I was required to read this book for a class, and I am grateful for this assignment! This is an excellent book. Even though I am a single young man with no children, I have greatly benefited from this book. Some things I learned are:
The teenage years are an age of opportunity to prepare one’s teen for a wise, God-honoring, God-fearing life driven by biblical conviction rather than worldly culture. It is an age during which parents plant seeds that will (hopefully) result in maturing young adult...more
Gavin Breeden
If you are a parent to teens (or soon will be) or you work with teens, this books is essential reading. Paul David Tripp works through some of the difficulties of working with, communicating with, and raising teenagers. The bulk of the book deals with setting biblical goals for teens and strategies to achieve those goals in parenting. The goals are high and founded on the Bible but the book is so realistic about the sinfulness of the human heart and the true nature of biblical change, that the g...more
Peter N.
One of the best books I have read on shepherding older children. As I read it, I was constantly thinking about my own children and the congregation I serve. The book is really well-outlined, which allows for easy referencing after I was done reading. He did a good job of maintaining a proper biblical balance between focus on Christ, but not allowing this to obscure how teenagers should behave. One of the most important things he emphasizes is how much work and time good shepherding requires. Thi...more
Joe Woodard
This book is a MUST read for anyone who is setting out to raise teenagers or who even volunteers or works alongside teens. This book forces the reader to examine his or her own heart and gives the best biblical foundation for parenting that I have ever heard or read. It is a long book but well worth the read of every page.
Shannon
This book was fantastic for making me think. It is really great for any parent, with young or old children. And it is more about my own sin-nature and how my approach can be grace-filled, guided by the Word. I am re-reading after 2 years because my oldest is almost 12 and he is definitely hit the pre-teen phase now!
Cameron

Best book I've read in years. Should be required reading for any parent of teens or even younger children. Revolutionary--if more parents applied the principles from this book (which are rooted in the Bible) to their relationships with their teens, we would start to see genuine change in our society.
Julie Biles
Unquestionably the best contemporary book I have read yet on parenting teens! Tripp takes a very positive slant and helps the reader look at this often dreaded period of life as the most exciting yet! I have read and reread this book with each of our 4 children! So yes, I would recommend it for sure!
Stephanie
"This is a time to jump into the battle and move toward your teenager. It is time for engagement, interaction, discussion, and committed relationship."

"Yes, the teen years are years of change, insecurity, and tumult, yet these are the very things that God uses to bring truth and light in the eyes of our children."

"When people ask you what you do, say, "I am the parent of a teenager. It is the most important job I have ever had. Everything else I do for a living is secondary." Then say, "You know...more
Tim
This book is as much about parenting teens as it is learning how to shepherd our own hearts as parents. In this book, Tripp consistently gets to our heart conditions and attitudes with helpful illustrations and stories from his own family and pastoral experience. The gospel is always the solution and the goal of parenting is to persuade, plead, and instill in your teens a heart for God.

This book helps a parent really think through what is truly important in raising your children into adulthood s...more
Beth Peninger
Great book. I mean, yes, I am a fan of the Tripp brothers so pretty much anything they write I like. But Paul Tripp's wisdom (and his brother Tedd) is so down-to-earth and biblical. It just makes sense on all sorts of levels.
So since the hub and I already a few years into the teens with our redheads I probably should have read this book a few years back but it is what it is and I certainly don't regret that and don't feel like it is "too late" now to implement any changes my heart picked up on...more
I do not like parenting books. I mean, anything that works is usually working because it suits YOUR family, which is unique unto itself, with all its individual personalities! But THIS book gets to the heart of the matter, which is this: we have to start with ourselves. WE are the only ones we can truly change, and even that comes hard, through a painful sort of grace. Again and again, Tripp turns the tables on parents -- not to find blame, but to seek for the motivations that drive us, the need...more
Laura Rogers
I thought this book had good things to say about raising teenagers/children. I didn't think it was anything revolutionary or that I hadn't already read or thought about.
I think that if you come from a background of attachment parenting/emotional coaching with your children - this will be old hat by now. You have hopefully already built a relationship with your children that will stretch into the teen years. I strongly disagree with his brothers book - "Shepherding A Child's Heart" - and I read t...more
Andrea
This book carries a lot of great, biblical wisdom and advice. As someone very far off from the teenager stage (no kids yet), I apprecaited someone saying, "Hey, why is everyone so afraid of teenagers?" Tripp says, "We cannot hold onto a robust belief in the power of the Gospel if we continue to buy into our culture's cynicism about the teen years." Overall tone of this book is, yes, teenagers have a lot going on physically, mentally, socially, etc., but they need to fall on the grace of God like...more
John
Jun 06, 2012 John is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Quotes that stood out to me as I read:
Ch. 2: WHOSE IDOLS ARE IN THE WAY?
"The tumult, chaos, and unrest of the teen years are not only the result of significant biological changes taking place, but because of a dramatic spiritual war going on as well." (pg. 31)

"I am increasingly persuaded that there are only two ways of living; (1) trusting God and living in submission to his will and his rule, or (2) trying to be God." (pg. 36)

"The goal of parenting is the rightful, God-ordained loss of control....more
This was a very good book filled with helpful insights and thought provoking questions. A LOT of thought provoking questions. If you want to be intentional about parenting your teens consistent with God's Word I would highly recommend reading this book.

There's so much packed in here that it took me quite awhile to get through it in order to process it fully and consider the practical application as I went. I think it would be more useful as a small group study with discussions around each chapt...more
Susan
Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp explores parenting teens. With a 13-year-old, an 11-year-old, and a 9-year-old, this one seemed like a good idea to pick up.

I enjoyed it overall; I'll give it a B. Why not an A? Well, the first 2/3 of the book were heavy on basic advice: talk with your kids, live a godly life, etc. etc. All good things, but nothing really new or fresh. The final 1/3, practical strategies, was most helpful to me. I'll also say that in par...more
Lisa Gordon
This is truly a cornerstone book for raising kids. I strive to apply this now, even though my kids are young. It refresh me on my mission as a parent and encourages me to think and react intentionally. I would like to read this book every summer to remind me why I'm homeschooling and my main mission as a mother. HIGHLY Recommend to read this book and re-read this book several time.
Michael Rachel
Excellent, instructive, biblical, and gospel-centered. This book is a helpful addition to raising teenagers. Tripp's point of teaching your children that there is a war for their heart is very insightful and helpful. Much to be gleaned from the wisdom here.
Elise Harkey
Very helpful book. However, I felt like Tripp said the same things over and over. This info could probably be paired down into 1/4 the space.

Key points: don't look at "problems" with your teen as inconveniences. Instead see them as opportunities given by God for you to engage your child. During these opportunities, you discuss (not lecture) problems, choices, responses in ways that bring biblical truth to light. Also remember that you are a sinner and you should not be surprised when your teen...more
Ann
Brilliant book with a strong biblical framework for parenting teens by grace.

'Our goal can not be survival. This goal is too low because it forgets the glorious things that God is doing in us and has promised to do through us. Ours is a wonderful daily opportunity - to be part of Gods glorious work of redemption. We could not have a higher calling! ... We need to embrace our calling with hope. He is here, he is at work!' p253

'Work in us, Lord, so that you may work through us to capture the liv...more
Beth
I have some quibbles with this book (it talks about providence in a way that I wouldn't. sometimes it sounds very, very certain in territory that seems pretty ambiguous to me, and the example of the poor "assimilated" Jones family didn't work for me, but...), all in all, I think it will make me a better parent. I need to meditate for a long time on the title premise -- that parenting older children is an opportunity, not a burden. The book is gospel centered, and this, too, provides food for tho...more
Mark
Paul David Tripp has penned an encouraging book about the importance of focusing on teenager's hearts rather than merely looking at their behavior. I believe this is a critical perspective and Tripp does a good job looking at the Scriptural basis for this sort of approach. Tripp also provided a number of examples from his life. Inspite of the examples provided, I found that this book did not connect with me as some books that discuss looking at heart issues. If this was the only book on the topi...more
Teri
I will refer to this book until my children are grown. My favorite parenting book of all time.
I learned that when disobedience happens, it is an opportunity to guide out children and show them that we are sinners too. Many examples are given in this book that let me know how normal my teenager is. (that is good to know) Gentle reminders of how to parent a teenager. (so different than the elementary and toddler years.

loved this book, still do, always will

if you are a parent read it, you will be...more
Karen
This book has excellent advice for parenting teens. It reminds us that we need to be very deliberate in our parenting and that the ultimate goal is that our children have a heart for God. Challenging and thought provoking!

It's also been a great reminder of why I need to continue to be consistent in my parenting with my younger children. Because a lot of the advice is applicable to parents with any age child, it would be a great read for any parent! Outstanding, biblically based book!!

Lori
This book is much more than a "How to Fix Your Teenager" book. It addresses not only the behaviors of teens which reveal the deeper convictions of their hearts, but the idols in the hearts of parents which color all of our interactions with our teens. I would strongly encourage not only parents to read it, but also teachers, youth leaders, and pastors. As with all other Tripp books I have read, it reaches past the surface and into the issues of the heart. A great book.
Renee Reynolds
This book proved a timely and helpful wake-up call that parenting teens is not to be dreaded--rather it is to be seized as a wonderful window of opportunity. Opportunity to engage your child-cum-adult in the most engaging and interesting dialogues you may ever get to have. The chance to observe up close and personal the maturing of your little tyke through the turbulent teens. And the last chance to impart wisdom before you lose your parental podium.
Becca Harris
This is an excellent gospel centered parenting book! Especially for those who have kids who are about to be teenagers. Ideally you should read this when your kids are in 4th-5th grade, but it's never too late or too early.

Tripp gives parenting principles that are applicable at any age but will help parents walk with confidence through the scary teenage years. Don't be fooled by the cheesy outdated cover, this book is well worth your time.
Jen
I read this Christian parenting book when the girls were children but I'm reading with new eyes as we're now waste-deep in the teen years.

chapter 10, called 'A Heart for God' is EXCELLENT! It covers deleloping a heart for God in your teen and strategies for encouraging a heart for God... well written and clear with a healthy balance of scripture and personal example so we're hearing from GOD and the author's application.
Daniel Wells
This book was a blessing and encouragement to read. It gave me the gospel-based confidence I need to relate to my teenager. Looking forward to applying the principles laid out in this book.

I am never disappointed when I read something from Tripp or amy of the CCEF authors.
Leigh Ann
This is the best Christian book I have ever read on parenting teens. It does not have a Pollyana approach, it is very down-to-earth look at issues, both parents' and kids' issues-and how to deal with them in a way that gets to the heart of a teen. Not a stop behavior approach, but a figure out what they are thinking and feeling approach. Tim & I both loved this one.
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Future Men
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • Blame It on the Brain: Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
  • Seeing With New Eyes, Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • The Godly Man's Picture
Paul was born in Toledo, Ohio to Bob and Fae Tripp on November 12, 1950. Paul spent all of his growing years in Toledo until his college years when his parents moved to Southern California.
At Columbia Bible College from 1968-1972, (now Columbia International University) Paul majored in Bible and Christian Education. Although he had planned to be there for only two years and then to study journalis...more
More about Paul David Tripp...
Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives) What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry War of Words, Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles (Resources for changing lives) Broken-Down House