Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,555 ratings  ·  53 reviews
She's ready to catch the bouquet, not steal the guy!

When Ava gets dumped by her boyfriend, she's pretty upset. He wasn't the love of her life or anything, but with her sister's wedding - a.k.a. the social event of the season - just two weeks away, Ava's got to save face by finding someone cute and fun to bring as a new date.

With the clock ticking and no dates in sight, Ava...more
Published April 8th 2008 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Something Borrowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Borrowed

The Boys Next Door by Jennifer EcholsThe Ex Games by Jennifer EcholsMajor Crush by Jennifer EcholsA Novel Idea by Aimee FriedmanEndless Summer by Jennifer Echols
Simon Romantic Comedies
31st out of 43 books — 260 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareJust Listen by Sarah Dessen
Young Adult Romance
340th out of 2,266 books — 7,070 voters

More lists with this book...

Zoe Russo
Two things. One: HOW DOES THIS CRAP GET PUBLISHED?!?!?!?!?! Two: I was actually looking for the novel of the same name by Emily Griffin (which turns out to also suck. So much for that.), and didn't realize I'd made a mistake until about halfway through, at which point I skipped to the end to see if it was worth finishing (it wasn't) and then immediately put it down. So there's a hour of my life I won't be getting back.
Denise
The book is about a seventeen year-old teenager on the verge of being her sister's maid of honor. As she is trying on her bridesmaid dress, he boyfriend of three months dumps her. Unwilling to attend the wedding alone, she quickly sets on an expedition to find Mr. Right Now. Along her journey, she meets and dates a variety of guys. However, things go array. Every guy that she asks to the wedding ends up bailing on her for one reason or another. As a result, she is forced to ask her best friend t...more
Navila Islam
I read something borrowed by Catherine Hapka. The main character is Ava. Her sister is getting married and she can't wait. But a few rays before the wedding her boyfriend breaks up with her. Ava can't shoe up to her sisters wedding without a date. She went with her best friend Teresa to her campus to search for a guy.She finds a guy that is her type. They hot it off. She asks him to go to the wedding with him and he answers yes. Unfortunately he gets into a accident. She feels horrible but she...more
Arianna
Shelley
3 stars! What a fun read! I had just read "Drive me Crazy" and needed a book to pick up my mood. Because Drive me Crazy was really bad.

Anyways. This book was light, fluffy, and albeit being pretty shallow, it was an enjoyable read. This book was a fun and romantic book. There really wasn't any substance beneath the lightness and fluff, but this book was happy.

Some things were a bit unrealistic. Like all the guys Ava went through in what, a week? 2 weeks? There weren't any laugh-out-loud parts-...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Ava Hamilton has a front row ticket to the wedding of the season...that of Camille, her sister. Everything at home is in total chaos because of the event. Her sister is making her wear the Pink Horror. Pink is so not Ava's color, and the dress is hideous. To top it off, her boyfriend, Lance, has just broken up with her, by phone!

Ava is fit to be tied and complains to her best friend, Teresa. Teresa tells Ava that there's nothing wrong with going stag to th...more
Angela
I adored this book so much.

Ava is a riot and had me giggling like crazy in her search for "Mr. Right Now." In her quest she finds love in a very unlikely place. And let me just say, he is a-freakin'-dorable. As in, I want to put him in my pocket and keep him nice and save.

Ava's bouncing back and forth from one man to the next does get a little old, however. And once again, I felt the final moment when Ava finds her "Mr. Right now and forever" was a little too fast paced for my liking. I would ha...more
Luke
This was one awesome book! I am a member of the chapter-a-day book club, which where I get a small part of a YA book every Mon-Fri. Most of the time, the books they send me suck. Most weeks, I question why I even continue reading them. Probably because I'm just too lazy to unsubscribe. But then I get books like this and I'm reminded of how great the emails are.

This book entails the trials and tribulations of a girl named Ava(I think...the book is told in first person) who gets dumped by her boyf...more
Valerie
Ava's sister is getting married. The plans have been in the works for a year. Every detail has been planned. The one little tiny problem that Ava didn't plan on was being dumped by her boyfriend two weeks before the wedding. She is the maid of honor and she needs a date. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone to go with her though. She's pretty and outgoing. So she begins trying to find someone but as her best laid plans fall apart she is more and more willing to take anyone. Her journey to fi...more
Jessica Ford
It's hard to review this alone after reading both this and Something Blue. It is the same story told from two characters perspectives. The most interesting thing was seeing the "other side" of friendships. I believe at times every woman has been both Rachel and Darcy. You can relate to each of them at times and also be equally frustrated with them.
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
Something Borrowed is one of the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies. Ava's sister, Camille, is getting married. Teresa, her best friend, is with Ava in a bridal store. While Ava is trying on bridesmaid dresses, she gets a call from her boyfriend, Lance, telling her he wants to break up with her. Teresa isn't going to be in town for the wedding because she got accepted for an internship, so Ava will be stuck with Teresa's boyfriend, Jason. Ava finds him extremely dull and annoying. Ava doesn't want to...more
Joan  Ridge
This was an easy read.
It had some laughs but I thought Rachel who is a young attorney really was a wimp in keeping Darcy as her friend.
To me Darcy is the kind of friend who uses everybody, there really is no pleasing Darcy and what she gets she deserves without a doubt.
Gabby712
Overview of Something Borrowed
I think Ava (the main character) is getting to over reacted on getting a boy for her sisters wedding. That's all she's focused on right now.

The whole thing started out with her boyfriend Lance broke up with her 3 weeks before the wedding. For those 3 weeks all Ava did with her best friend Teresa and Teresa's boyfriend Jason was try to find a guy for the wedding. I don't really want to spoil anything, but Ava found 1 guy at Teresa's college, Zoom. He gets hurt, no...more
Leela
I loved this book! It is a great read for when your down in the dumps! This story is an amazingly funny, sad, and romantic book. The thought of something like this happening in real life makes me burst out laughing!
I have become addicted to Simon Pulses romantic comedies. This is definatly one I would suggest, especialy for beginers, new to the world of Simon Pulses Romantic Comedies. It is a little pre teen at some parts, but the book itself makes up for it. So, for everyone considering readi...more
Colleen Cornacchione
Great story! Nothing like the movie! Quick fun read!
Susanna
This book is about roamance, but still funny at the same time. Ava and Teresa are best friends and Ava's sister is getting married and right then Ava's boyfriend dumps her. Just what she needed before her sister's wedding, now she doesn't have a partner so she borrows her best friend, Teresa's boyfriend, Jason. The title something borrowed, the something is Jason being borrowed by Ava. But everything kind of changes, finding out that Jason like Ava, that's not borrowing anymore. And I will stop...more
Bookworm1858
In general, I love the Simon Pulse series so of course I gave this one a try. Ordinarily I probably would have hated the plot (basically girl steals best friend's boyfriend) except for three things: a. there actually is a bit more to the plot than that; b. it's really funny; and c. it's set in Chester County, where I was born and raised. I would definitely recommend this to people who love the Simon Pulse books and/or are looking for a quick cute contemporary romance.

Oh, and I adore the cover!
Kris
Recommended for gr. 6-12. The characters are high-school age, but there is nothing objectionable for younger readers. The main character spends the whole book trying to find a date for her sister’s wedding, trying old boyfriends and men she “picks up”. In the end she discovers that Mr. Right was nearby all along, and realizes how shallow her previous efforts were. Some funny moments as she and her family deal with her “Bridezilla” sister.
Sylvia
Romantic comedy, i have to admit that this book tossed me some moments that i did not expect. Ava had a breakup with her boyfriend just before her sister's wedding. So Ava borrowed her best friend's boyfriend. She discovered that they have a lot more in common then what she at first. He use to make fun of her a lot. In the end, they get together. her best friend already knew that her boyfriend liked Ava. Somethings life throw something at you.
Jennie Cha
This book was nice, I was expecting the ending because I knew that she would end up liking Jason. However I did not expect for things to end with him and Teresa that way though it does make senses. I liked Jason but not when he was with Ava which was strange. Jason was cute at the wedding but also annoying? It was cliche for the guy to have "liked" her first. However it was a good read.
Tiffany
This was a cute quick read. In "Something Borrowed" Ava is dealing with her sister who has turned into a Bridezilla. She is looking forward to at least attending the wedding with her boyfriend. When her boyfriend breaks up with her she is forced to try to find another date. What follows I think turns into a cute novel. I enjoyed this good read.
Yanmei
This book is about a girl who has a wedding to attend soon but got dumped by her boyfriend and need to find one asap. Each time she finds one she gets dumped for some reason or other, making her use her last resort which is to "borrowed" her best friend's boyfriend.
i like this book because it was kind of funny. It had a happy ending which is what i like.
Brenda
Cute story about a recently dumped girl who needs to come up with a date for the wedding of the year.(her sister's) Funny situations, not too bad of language, but the main character is a little easy! (she keeps picking up guys) Loved the relationship with the main hottie Jason though. Fun easy read.
Lizzette
It only took 2 and half hours to finish this book with interruptions. I liked this book because its funny because Ava has only 2 weeks for her sister's wedding to get a hot date. All her dates either get in accident, get traumatized, or well hate other dates. What will Ava do?
Tarryn
Soooooooo predictable. And I'm a girl that LOVES cliches when executed properly. But this book was just kind of dull. It included none of the interesting quirks that usually make cliches bearable. It was a quick, unoriginal read, but still fairly entertaining.
Megan
This book was fairly obvious from the start. I knew all those boys had to drop out of the wedding because on the back of the book it said Ava was going to be bringing her bestfriend's boyfriend. There was a little catch at the end but otherwise a fairly obvious book.
Jess
Actually, it was a 2.5, but closer to the 3 than two. It was kinda cute, but about as deep as the kiddie pool. Not that I thought it would be, but the characters were more 2-d than I thought they'd be. But it was relatively clean and had a good ending.
mjsquared
My sister in law gave me this book when she had heard about the Something Borrowed series, except we didnt realize there was more than one book with the same title. This is the epitome of cheesy chick lit, pretty poor writing, but an easy read.
Maria
Very light read. I thought this book was very cute and sweet! Perfect for me! I am not sure if lot of people would enjoy this as much as me but I sure did. If you love cute sweet book and a love chick lit this is for you!
Bekah
I thought it was okay. Though I'm glad there was a happy ending of sorts I still think the main character is pretty selfish and no matter how she swung it I'm not a big fan of cheaters.
  • Gettin' Lucky
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Puppy Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Miss Match
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • In the Stars
  • Perfect Shot
  • Dancing Queen
  • Getting to Third Date
  • Hard to Get
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • Scary Beautiful
  • Cupidity
  • A Novel Idea
Catherine (Cathy) Hapka has written more than one hundred books for children and adults, as a ghostwriter for series as well as original titles, including the Romantic Comedies Something Borrowed, The Twelve Date of Christmas, and Love on Cue. She lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Catherine Hapka...
At First Sight Love on Cue Pardon My French The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies) Winter's Kiss: The Ex Games; The Twelve Dates of Christmas

“A little damage makes people more interesting, right?” 21 likes
“The adventurous part of me was looking forward to getting out into the world, meeting new people, trying new things. But another part of me was thinking that it was just too soon. Why couldn’t everything stay the same for a little while longer?” 6 likes