Start by marking “Evan and Elle” as Want to Read:
Evan and Elle

Evan and Elle (Constable Evans #4)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,185 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
When Madame Yvette opens a French restaurant in an unused chapel in Llanfair, Constable Evan Evans "finds himself in the middle of a complicated case of murder, arson, and international intrigue (not to mention the displeasure of his longtime admirers, Bronwen and Betsy, at his frequent encounters with the exotic Yvette)."
Published 2000 by St. Martin's Minotaur

To ask other readers questions about Evan and Elle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan and Elle

Kathy Davie
Oct 08, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, homey
Fourth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in a small village in Wales.

The Story
One arson fire after another has Evans frustrated especially when Peter Potter---oops, sorry, that's Sergeant Potter to you!---is on the case. Potter'll show these backcountry idjits how to solve crime. If they would just snap to and show some initiative…!

The notes left behind seem to indicate a nationalist bent behind the fires but when they torch a new French restaurant in the valley…well, none of the constab
Alice
Feb 21, 2017 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Tradition suspect arsonist -- may be young man who wants to be a hero

interesting that Evan would be judge/Jury rather than turning culprits over to police

who/what is Elle?
in Welch http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_'... "If you mean 'elle' as in French, it is hi."
Elle is French for "girls"
Urban language "hot women"
Elle is the premier style magazine originated in France in 1945

Given that Evan is interacting with 4 women in this story-- Betsy, Bronwen, Madame Yvette, a French restaurateur,and
Anastassia Dyubkova
После не очень удачной первой книги все последующие держатся, в принципе, на одном уровне, и это вполне добротные детективы. "Evan and Elle" пошла легче, чем предыдущая часть, "Evanly Choirs", хотя один из персонажей делал всё, чтобы замедлить чтение - это была героиня-француженка, говорившая с сильным акцентом. Французский акцент, будучи отображённым на письме, конечно, воспринимается легче, чем шотландский, и всё же.
Расследуя дело о поджогах, констебль Эванс не торчит безвылазно у себя в Лланв
Ed
#4 in the Constable Evan Evans series. As ever, the endearing Welsh constable finds himself ensnarled in a series of mysteries. This time out, they seem to be arsons committed by rabid Welsh nationalists. Complicating both the mysteries and Evan's domestic tranquility is the appearance of an intriguing Frenchwoman, a cordon bleu chef who opens a restaurant. He gets deeper into the mystery than his village constable post would normally allow by acting as driver and translator for his direction- a ...more
Brett
Feb 20, 2013 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Constable Evan Evans enjoys his life as a village constable in a rather inaccessible part of Northern Wales, but that doesn't mean that he is bursting with nationalistic fervor. Consequently, he's quite disturbed when a cottage owned by an English couple is completely gutted in a fire that appears to have been set by an arsonist wanting to scare the foreigners away. He is even less happy when a similar occurrence at a hotel indicates that this may be a trend. Is one of the endearingly eccentric ...more
writer...
First read of Ms Bowen's Constable Evans Mysteries and well liked.

Set in Wales with good description to situate readers in the story. Very down to earth characters and village life portrays the usual propensity to gossip and fear of outsiders. In this case, the unwelcome French proprietor of Madame Yvette's, a new French restaurant with unusual foods to the area.

Constable Evans is well drawn as laid back; I was actually surprised at his abilities to discover and apprehend the perpetrator.
I like
Marcia
Jan 29, 2016 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, library, x2016
The characters really begin to come alive in this fourth installment of the Constable Evans series. Nice to see Sergeant Watkins and Evans developing a sort of friendship. They have always I think, respected one another's professionalism; but in this Llanfair story, we see their working relationship and friendship blossom.

Opening lines
The Reverend Tomos Parry Davies, minister of Chapel Bethel in the village of Llanfair, sang loudly to himself as he drove up the pass from Caernarfon.

Word pictures
Ceejay
Feb 12, 2016 Ceejay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is another great Constable Evans mystery by Rhy Bowen. This time our hero finds himself dealing with a series of arsons. But don't worry, there is another murder to be solved. This particular novel is a little more of a police procedural than the earlier books, but the members of the village do play a part, as does Constable Evans girlfriend. In fact, there might be a new rival for his gal to deal with. We also get to travel to France this time.Something I really like about these books is t ...more
Hal
Apr 04, 2014 Hal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all but one of the Constable Evans series, and this book was one of my favorites. The plot is a bit predictable, but I thought the writing was better than most of the other novels in this series.

Too often in earlier installments, Ms Bowen doesn't give us a three-dimensional portrait of Evan Evans. Here, though, we see he can have a temper and is not always perfect. Yah!

The other characters tend to be stick figures and Ms Bowen's clich views of sexual attraction are sometimes trying.
D. Eric
Sep 14, 2009 D. Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Constable Evan series continues to get better with each book as "Evan and Elle" establishes itself as the best one yet. This time out, Evan must solve a series of arsons which also gets entangled in both murder and drug smuggling.

Although I solved the original arson crimes as well as one other mystery in the story fairly early, the tangled woven web proves itself most interesting all the way through to the usual heroic ending. Also, Evan himself finally starts to grow up a bit and looks mor
George
Apr 16, 2007 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery readers
Part of a series involving Welsh Constable Evan Evans stationed in Llanfair, a small rural community in northern Wales. It is somewhat similar to the M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth (though more ambitious and luckier with the ladies) mysteries set in rural Scotland.

Story involves the continuing adventures of Constable Evans along with his relationships with villagers and other members of the police force back at headquarters. Storyline involves Welsh nationalists, arson, murder, drug smuggling, and
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The book begins with more Welsh words for us to master and then introduces us to a Frenchwoman who opens her new Restaurant which intrigues the women in the village, including Constable Evan's beloved Bronwen into taking French cooking lessons.

The men of the village are not enamored by the meager portions but someone else is even less taken by the enterprise. Is it an arsonist of does Madam Yvette have a secret?

Excellent book that truly is a cozy and a mystery!
Kavita
Jun 18, 2013 Kavita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a mystery set in Wales and is quite a passable light read. It has interesting characters and the main man, Constable Evans is quite a likable person. The plot is average and there are some nice twists, but nothing that can be classified as awesome. One thing I found really amusing was that everyone in the village was named Evans, or failing that, Harry. A little lack of innovation in coming up with names, but can't complain about the rest.
Angie
Nov 02, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Welsh small-town cozy with all the expected features. The title Evan and Elle immediately told me I could expect a bit more cleverness than usual, and I was not disappointed. Nicely convoluted plot and characters I'll want to read about again.
So now I have to try the author's other series, Her Royal Spyness.
(Thanks to cousin Jeannine, whose mention of the Hamish MacBeth series reminded me I had this on my shelf.)
Norma Huss
Feb 25, 2013 Norma Huss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
A delightful read about Evans-the-law in Wales. Elle is the French lady who started a French restaurant and began teaching all the ladies in town the French way of cooking--and starving all the hubbies (they thought). Actually, the French lady's name is Yvette, and anything new to come to the insular village can be dangerous, but not necessarily to the natives.
David Peters
Another solid cozy mystery featuring the intelligent beyond his means Evan Evans. The mystery had all the usual twists and satisfactory conclusion. Teally this is a 2.5 review because for all the above, one of the main characters was French and the author insisting in writing in a terrible French accent. An OMG please kill me now never relenting French accent.
Crystal
Feb 20, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evan-evans
This book made me feel smart as I did guess some of the outcome before the end of the book. They say that a good mystery will give some clues along the way, but finding the balance must be difficult for mystery writers. Sometimes I read a book and the whole thing is solved, surprisingly, in the last few pages and it's not very satisfying.
Shelley
May 11, 2008 Shelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked the characters a lot, but it took me awhile to get into the mystery itself. Well, both of the mysteries, really - there were two potentially intersecting cases at once. I think I was mainly bugged by the main suspect and her written out French accent. I'll try another in the series. Hopefully Bronwen will get a bigger part in the next one - I liked her a lot.
Tilden
A friend lent me the book. After reading about 3-4 chapters I've decided I will not finish it. Since it is a series, this book is #4 I think. There is not enough excitement in the novel for me and I think it would make a difference if Imread the series in order. I think I don't like cozy mysteries any more, if I ever did.
Cat.
Jul 20, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I read another in this series some time ago. This one is about an arsonist that quickly turns into a proper murder mystery when a body turns up in the ashes of a new French restaurant. The logical person to suspect is the owner & proprietess of the restaurant, but Constable Evans doesn't want to believe it. Fun, easy --not too challenging all.
Mark Baker
Mar 12, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2003
The new French restaurant in the village is the latest victim of the arsonist hitting the area. Only this time, a body is found in the aftermath. The colorful characters are back in full force and the plot is another great puzzle.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bowen-rhys
This is Rhys Bowen's fourth book featuring Constable Evan Evans of Llanfair of North Wales. I was hooked from the first book and the series keeps improving. In Evan & Elle there have been two recent fires in the Llanfair area, seemingly the work of Nationalist Extremists. Then a French restaurant is burned and a body found in the rubble.
Sally
Apr 20, 2011 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm liking this series, and this one has some plot twists that were a little more complex, involving a trip for Constable Evans through the English Channel tunnel to explore the background of the French lady whose new restaurant had burned with a dead body inside. Finally, Evan Evans is moving forward in his relationship with Bronwen, the local school teacher.
Feb 27, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
The story gets 4 stars, but the editing deserves a 2. There were a ton of typos in the first half of the book: a few misspellings, but mostly missing punctuation. Oddly, I didn't notice many past the half-way point; I wonder two different people each edited half the book.
Debra
Oct 28, 2008 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read many books taking place in England and France. This was a good book. Not sure I'd be interested in reading any more by this author, but it was good. Good descriptions of the people and the places where this took place. Believable. A few small twists and turns.
Krista Pressey
The author had a serious problem coming up with names for the characters. I found it confusing and annoying that so many of the men were named Evan. It was somewhat interesting, but nothing that I would care to read again.
Nell
Feb 01, 2012 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cache, z2012
Excellent addition to this mystery series. New characters keep the series fresh along with developments in relationships between on-going characters. Several intertwining mysteries to solve. Lot of pieces, some of them connected to each other. Love this series.
Judith A. Reinsberg
Tres Bien

This was my favorite Evan mystery yet. It was believable, sweet and suspenseful. The French speaking character got a bit tiresome, but the townspeople are becoming familiar and likeable. Will move on to #5!
LJ
Evan and Elle - G
Bowen, Rhys - 4th in series

After a fire at Llanfair's new French restaurant makes murder the dish du jour, Constable Evans is on the case.

Is it Welsh nationalists versus foreigners? Good twist
Kathleen
Mar 11, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable mystery. Will try one more. Not quite as good as the M.C. Beaton series with Hamish MacBeth, although very similar.
Constable Evans 7 12 Mar 16, 2016 07:27AM
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (Hamish Macbeth, #14)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Reservations for Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Signal Red
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Hades
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)