Start by marking “The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)

The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,834 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Fantasy set on a world where women hold all economic and social power and following the lives of three magically gifted sisters.
Unknown Binding, 755 pages
Published March 1st 1997 by Pan Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mageborn Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mageborn Traitor

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanSabriel by Garth NixElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Best Heroine in a Fantasy Book
307th out of 1,128 books — 1,520 voters
A Brother's Price by Wen SpencerThe Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. TepperThe Priest by Monica La Porta5 to 1 by Holly BodgerThe Female Man by Joanna Russ
Matriarchal Societies in Fiction
21st out of 84 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Grace
Apr 12, 2011 Grace rated it it was ok
This is really one and a half stars. Glenin, Sarra and Cailet are all grown at the start of this book, and they stop being pawns and start actually moving pieces themselves. Some more successfully than others.

Okay, here's where Rawn lost me: for some unknown, incomprehensible reason, Sarra and Cailet come over all stupid for plotting purposes. And not just for brief moments - for entire stretches of the second half of the book, I was muttering "you're supposed to be smarter than that". And the w
Susan
Sep 19, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
As much as I love this series I would almost suggest not picking it up at all. This book was written around 15 years and the author apparently has no intention of finishing the series. Her husband died sometime after she wrote this book and she fell into a great depression and stopped writing for a while. Though she has started to write other series, I've read that she can't bring herself to work on these books because her late husband played such a huge part in their development of them. Sad fo ...more
Susan
Mar 27, 2012 Susan rated it did not like it
Although I LOVED this book and the firstone in the series, I do NOT recommend that anyone read either of them, YET. The third book has never been written and it has been over 12 years since the last one was published. If and when the final book comes out I will change this rating, but so many unanswered questions/cliff hangers really spoil the first two books.
Katie
Jan 06, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Now if only she'd pretty please finish the series!
Martin L. Cahn
May 16, 2012 Martin L. Cahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent followup to the first book, but very plainly the middle of a trilogy. I continue to enjoy Rawn's creation of a matriarchal society in a fantasy setting. It's unfortunate Rawn's never written the third book. The characters are so rich and the overarching plot unresolved that readers deservedly have begged for completion. On the good side, both books are still complete stories unto themselves, with satisfactory if not fully happy endings in both cases.

SPOILERS:

The only two quibbles ar
Rudi Bracaglia
Jun 22, 2014 Rudi Bracaglia rated it liked it
I read this series when Rawn first started it 12 years ago (OMG it's been that long?? Right in the childhood and dear Christ I'm getting old :( )

I was in tears when Collan died and Cailet lost so many loved ones - pretty much devoured the book and eagerly anticipated the next book. And I waited. And waited. And waited some more. I had no idea what had happened but assumed things would eventually be resolved. It took Tolkien 12 yrs to finish his masterpiece after all.

Imagine my fury when 10 yrs
Josephine McNabb
Jun 06, 2015 Josephine McNabb rated it really liked it
I loved this book as much as the first one. I loved how the three sisters grew into themselves and their various roles, although Glenin had already been prepared to take over. I loved how this book spanned years and held my attention throughout.

I loved watching Caliet come to terms with who she was, is and will become. She went from a nervous child to a confident woman but still not the all powerful mage captal that she portrayed to her world.

Sarra has been by far one of my favourite character
Jessica Carmody
Sep 28, 2013 Jessica Carmody rated it really liked it
I want to give this five stars, but since this is currently the last book, and it ends unresolved, and the third book will likely never come out, I'm only handing out 4 stars.

This is actually a great opportunity for some fan fiction, a series with great characters and a great start that just needs an ending.
Emily
Mar 30, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book but was disappointed by some of the plot twists. Makes me wonder if those plot twists are the reason she can't get the last book written. 12 years and counting between books is a bit ridiculous.
Juli
Apr 03, 2014 Juli rated it really liked it
Follow up to the brilliant Ruins of Ambrai. I could've lived with the life and times of the children, though she pushes hard to make them the characters you care about. It was ...In my mind I remember thinking, "I go to school, Idon't want to read about it." The war was over, le sigh. And I was...shall we say unhappy with the ending, and more, the nature of it that leaves things unfinished. Still this is a marvelous series. One of my favorites, I think. And Collan, the hero/not-hero(?) is my fav ...more
Daniel McGill
Aug 04, 2011 Daniel McGill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just really wish she'd write the third one already.
Bri
May 30, 2011 Bri rated it really liked it
Ryan G
Mar 28, 2011 Ryan G rated it really liked it
After I had reviewed the first book in the series, Ruins of Ambrai, I had pretty much thought that I had discovered my Achilles Heel of blogging. After trying to review this second book in the series, I'm positive that reviewing epic fantasy is not my strong suit. With epic fantasy there are so many story lines all vying for your attention and such a large (though brilliant) cast of characters, that it's hard for me to separate out what I should tell you and what is safe to leave out of a review ...more
King Haddock
Aug 29, 2008 King Haddock rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
For once, the second in a series is better than the first! The plot is more definite and intertwined, the characters more memorable, and a much clearer goal is outlined. True, it is slow in starting - the entire first section, though interesting and developing for the remaining characters in the previous novel, contributes little to the general plot. In the main body of the book, the Captal knows one of the Prentice Mages is a Malerrisi and traitor - as well as her own nephew - but she cannot fi ...more
Megan
Feb 06, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
Would have been 5, but I need closure!!! I've been waiting for years, and so has my husband. Please, for all your fans, give us closure and write the end of this saga we so desperately crave.
Jen Christopherson
Aug 22, 2013 Jen Christopherson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have been told the author never finished this series. I am very saddened by this as this book ended on a much different note than I had hoped. However, there is little I can do about it. Therefore, I would not recommend this book, or series, to anyone. Though the first two books are great and worth reading, it broke my heart to find out the series was unfinished with no plan by the author to finish. This is one of the reasons I don't read series until their finished.

With that said, I fell in l
Devin Cary
Aug 21, 2014 Devin Cary rated it liked it
I liked this one. I felt it was a good follow up to The Ruins of Ambrai. I like the growth of Cailet and her life as captal. the end the book where Colan gets killed. I'm still waiting for a third novel.
Debby Allen
Jul 29, 2014 Debby Allen rated it it was amazing
Reread this too, changed rating from 3 to 5. Story holds, don't know what bothered me about it before, maybe just that Captal's Tower wasn't likely to be written. Started rereading not knowing that it's due - eventually.

Even with a cast of hundreds, Melanie keeps them real and interesting. She doesn't get lost in her story, or lose her characters to the plot. Which was set up from the very beginning of Ruins. She thinks the /very/ long game better than any I recall.

Is being older what changed my
Adessa18
I read this series in high school. I loved the first book and the second did not disappoint, however the third book has never been published/written. Very frustrating!
Amanda R
So good. So, so good. There are many valid criticisms to make - for example, this review cracks me up because she is not wrong! But there is so much else to love that I'm willing to forgive the bits that don't make sense as well as the scads of little inconsistencies, some of which can be chalked up to as-yet-unsolved mystery but some of which are just sloppy writing.

Overall, though, these books still own a huge piece of my heart and I will never stop loving them.
Saral
Jul 31, 2014 Saral rated it really liked it
Too bad there won't be a third book... :'(
StrangeBedfellows
Melanie Rawn is an incredible storyteller, with her intriguing characters and exquisite world-building. While the "Mageborn Exiles" series is not as compelling as her "Dragon" series, this is one that fantasy fan should miss. Granted, I didn't like this book as much as the first "Exiles" book, but it's still a worthwhile read. Everything that one loves about Rawn's work is present here. And though it's true that we've all been waiting for a final book that may never come, I don't think anyone sh ...more
Samantha
Mar 05, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Can't wait for the next book!
Ruby
Aug 14, 2011 Ruby rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, re-read
Read the first book in this series as a young teenager, read this book on the verge of my early twenties. I want the 3rd book, which will more than likely never be written (it's been over a decade!) if only so that I can finish the series before I turn 30. I enjoyed the first book in this series far more than the second but, given that I'm the sort of person who hates starting and not finishing a book, I hate starting and not finishing a series. Seriously, even an epilogue...?
Sean Spencer
Jan 01, 2016 Sean Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, magick, owned
Love this book and its predecessor. Still waiting for the release of the third book. I check Rawn's forum for news probably twice every year. Upon checking this afternoon, I happened upon some welcome news regarding Captal's Tower.

POSITIVE NEWS/TENTATIVE TIMELINE REGARDING RELEASE OF THE THIRD BOOK:

Jennifer Simonton
Mar 19, 2014 Jennifer Simonton rated it it was amazing
No idea if Rawn is going to write the third book of this trilogy but I hope she does someday. Such a great world she has created.
Lela
Nov 10, 2015 Lela rated it liked it
Liked it...
Claire
Dec 14, 2011 Claire rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, from-library
I read the first one years ago so picked this up when I saw it in the library. Admittedly my reading wasn't enhanced by the fact that I had only the shakiest memory of the first one but I just couldn't get into this. Maybe if we'd seen more of the motivations of the rival/evil Maherissi faction rather than them metaphorically stroking their cats and chortling evil laughs I would have enjoyed it more. Fantasy has moved on a bit since this.
Alsha
Feb 03, 2010 Alsha rated it it was amazing
How does that woman have me weeping my heart out one moment and then laughing in sheer delight the next? Such a beloved book. And I'm okay, I am, to end it here. There doesn't need to be a Captal's Tower... not that I wouldn't have loved it as well if it had been what it should, but time passes and chances are lost, and I'm more than grateful for what I did get from the first two books.
Q Turner
Aug 26, 2012 Q Turner rated it it was amazing
Melanie is my favorite author, despite her penchant for killing off my favorite characters. She's a subtle author, great sense of timing and rarely if ever do you sense the puppet master pulling threads. The characters are rich and deep, the stories convoluted enough to feel real, the details fantastic enough to transport you to another world. Beautiful work.
  • The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Glass Dragon
  • Threshold
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...

Exiles (3 books)
  • The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1)
  • The Captal's Tower (Exiles, #3)