Start by marking “29” as Want to Read:

Nell Walker and Monkey Burnett have nothing in common—except an impossible longing for each other, their huge and volatile minds, and a bone-deep love for a tiny hardscrabble desert town.

When corporate greed and shortsightedness threaten the fragile Mojave Desert around their homes in Twentynine Palms, California, with devastatingly huge solar and wind power farms, Nell an
Published August 12th 2014 by Torrey House Press (first published July 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about 29, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 29

Braden Hepner
Nov 18, 2014 Braden Hepner rated it it was amazing
Whip-crack wit, clever dialogue, and spare, effective prose. A welcome dose of humor within characters, conversation, and tragicomic occurrence. 29 carries a vital message for our times: development, commercial gain, avarice, and expansion should not be placed above the preservation and conservation of the natural earth, with all its inherent rhythms, ecological importance, and its capacity to provoke wonder, awe, and reverence, its capacity to make us purer and better beings.
Candice Walsh
Oct 06, 2014 Candice Walsh rated it it was amazing
I love Mary's work. And now I want to live in the desert.
Erin
Nov 30, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
By Mary Sojourner
Introduction:

Several poignant and realistic moments resonated with me. The protagonist could have been any woman forced to evaluate her achievements and to decide her next steps. The promise to the reader in my opinion; is a journey into self-awareness and reflection. The author skillfully, takes the reader on an internal ebb & flow of emotions. Not wanting to give anything away, I can only recommend that you buy this book and prepare to be entertained as well as educated.
Edie Luther
Aug 14, 2015 Edie Luther rated it it was ok
I thought I would like this book because I go to the desert at least every year to visit my "snow bird" parents and have been to 29 Palms and Joshua Tree. I thought the book was too slow moving. What man would ever be named Monkey? Although I liked the concept of characters using emails to communicate, I didn't really like their conversations and I couldn't understand their attractions for each other. Although I liked the environmental aspect, I came to dread reading this book and only read it ...more
Erica
Jan 10, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It isn't perfect, but Sojourner's writing still feels like a beginning for me somehow, and her politics and her characters are messy enough to be interesting.
Tom
Jan 02, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
Former marketing exec finds a simple life in the desert to be more fulfilling.
Eric Susak
Oct 02, 2016 Eric Susak rated it liked it
29 gets better as you read it. Mary Sojourner's beautiful language draws a connection between the struggles of humans and the landscape in which they inhabit. Her adoration for the desert is apparent in the mysticism and history of the land. The problem, though, is that the descriptive language holds down the story for the first 100 pages, during which nothing really happens, and the main characters don't make choices. If it wasn't for the strength of the sentences, I would have stopped reading ...more
Irina
Aug 22, 2014 Irina rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review. At first, I really disliked Nell's character. She was weak, selfish, indecisive, and extremely annoying, but as she started gaining her strength and discovering who she was, my feelings changed dramatically. Even though she had less material things I felt she became more in-tuned with herself. She made connections with other people and developed friendships throughout. I was really impressed with her final transformation at the end.

At tim
Tuck
sojourner is fearless and entertaining and smart. this set in sw deserts of usa, and a LA executive chucks it all to move to desert, first to kill herself, but then to help her mother earth, her brother desert.
another reviewer put it well, sojourner's themes revolve around the deadend of avaricious usa capitalism and the pressing need to quit fooling around and figure this shit out.
here is succinct, good review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

i liked sojourner's novel of ghosts and indi
Sheila Garry
Dec 22, 2014 Sheila Garry rated it liked it
Pulled this off the shelf with no knowledge of author or book. Would give it 31/2 stars. Great sense of place, Mojave Desert. Story interesting and based on facts about siting solar and wind turbines over sacred Indian grounds. Great interplay between 2 main characters, but it was spoiled, IMHO, by spiritual/mystical occurrences that were poorly explained. I thought it weakened an otherwise good book.
Rebecca Garcia
Mar 10, 2016 Rebecca Garcia rated it liked it
sharp dialog, nailed the setting, fair enough characters. reading the epilogue PRIOR to reading the book would have helped me enjoy it more I think. will influence and deeply enhance my next journeying thru the Mojave that's for sure. enjoyed the ending tremendously so i'm glad I stayed with it til then.
Sarah Boon
Jun 12, 2016 Sarah Boon rated it liked it
This book was oddly compelling despite several plot holes and some weird enviro-mystic-voodoo type stuff. I wondered if what made it compelling was the main character completely reinventing herself - something we all dream of some days.
Sandy Bielenberg
Sep 29, 2016 Sandy Bielenberg rated it really liked it
After the first two chapters I nearly put this book down. I am glad I didn't. Sojourner is a fine writer.
Aline
Aug 04, 2015 Aline rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Although a somewhat troubling exploration into difficult lives, Sojourner is quite the author. I did not love the book, but I also found that I did not want to put it down.
Diana Kullman
Diana Kullman rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Carol Hubbard
Carol Hubbard rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Janna Mcneil
Janna Mcneil rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2015
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Megan Fass
Megan Fass rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2015
Chuck Herrera
Chuck Herrera rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Cathy Wolff
Cathy Wolff rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Duke
Duke rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Rosie
Rosie rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Paul Eschmann
Paul Eschmann rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
  • Cheatgrass: A Novel
  • Beyond the Horizon
  • Writing Los Angeles: a Literary Anthology (Library of America)
  • Honey from the Lion