Start by marking “The Lion and the Bird” as Want to Read:
The Lion and the Bird

The Lion and the Bird

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  103 reviews
One autumn day, a lion finds a wounded bird in his garden. With the departure of the bird's flock, the lion decides that it's up to him to care for the bird. He does and the two become fast friends. Nevertheless, the bird departs with his flock the following spring. What will become of Lion and what will become of their friendship?

Marianne Dubuc received her degree in grap
Published May 6th 2014 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published October 29th 2013)

Karen Bromley
A beautiful book. Such a tender story of caring, kindness, and love. The pace of the story is peaceful and warm like a hug. So much to ponder on each page - even if it was a white page blanketed with snow, my daughter and I would linger for a moment and chat about what the characters might be feeling. Love that my daughter will not think a friendship between a lion and a bird is an unlikely one.
Stephani
Lion helps Bird, who is injured. Bird ends up having to stay with Lion through the winter, and when Spring comes, Bird leaves to join the other birds. Will Bird return in the winter? I may have cried a bit reading this.
Barbara
When a big-hearted lion finds a wounded bird on the ground, he patches the little creature up and offers his home as a place to stay during the colder months. The little bird can't fly, and the other birds migrate. A series of illustrations show how time passes and the two become fast friends. Eventually, though, the bird heals, and is strong enough to migrate when the time comes. The lion is sad and lonely but understands that this is the way of life. When fall arrives once again, though, his b ...more
Angie
Simple and dear illustrations. Sparse, yet deep narrative. I think I will buy this one for my collection.
Matt Craft
Beautiful illustration, lovely story.
Emily
"The Lion and The Bird" is a picture book that tells a story through beautiful pictures and simple text. In the beginning, Lion discovers a wounded bird and decides to take care of him because his flock leaves. They spend the winter together and become friends very quickly. Unfortunately, when spring comes the bird rejoins his flock and Lion is left to tend his garden all alone. However, when autumn returns and the birds fly back over Lion's garden, his friend lands on his mane and decides to st ...more
Dornel
One autumn day a lion working in his garden finds an injured bird. “You’re welcome to stay with me,” Lion assures Bird. Over the winter Lion nurses Bird back to health and the two share the comforts of Lion’s home and the wonders of the seasons. When spring returns so do Bird’s feathered friends and, after consulting with an understanding Lion, Bird rejoins his flock.

Lion returns home, lonely but philosophical, musing “And so it goes, sometimes life is like that.” But autumn returns, and as the
Marilyn
I loved this book when I first looked at the cover. The soft muted colours that were chosen, the gentle spirit that was represented in the looks between the lion and the bird and the simplicity of the title made me eager to open the pages and once inside I happened upon a book that touches the heart.

A lion out tending his garden on a beautiful autumn day discovers a poor wounded bird. Ever so gently he lifts the little body up and tends to its every need nursing it back to health eventually. Th
Denis Vukosav
‘The Lion and the Bird’ written and illustrated by Marianne Dubuc is the story of an extraordinary friendship that no matter how difficult it was to succeed managed to survive all the temptations.

At the story beginning, one day in the autumn, a mighty lion will find a wounded bird in his garden. Her flock flew away without the unfortunate bird and therefore lion will decide that he should take care of the injured bird to help her to recover as quickly as possible.

They two will soon become friend
The Book Maven
A somewhat spare illustrative style and very limited but considered text form the backbone to this story about a Lion who befriends and houses an injured bird. Together they nurture their friendship through the cold and snowy winter months (“ But winter doesn’t feel all that cold with a friend”) until the spring comes, the bird’s flock returns, and it’s time for the bird to fly away—after which we are given the simple, solemn explanation “But so it goes. Sometimes life is like that.”

Sadness will
Heather
10 STARS!
Beth
When a lion patches up a wounded bird, they become instant friends, spending the winter together as the little bird heals. But as spring comes and the little bird is now able to fly, he joins his flock, leaving lion all alone.

This is a tender, beautiful story about the need to give friendship wings sometimes. What I wonder though is if this would have been more successful as a wordless picture book. The text almost felt superfluous here, as the story could have been told with fewer illustration
Melle
Dec 21, 2014 Melle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
This picture book is a quiet, reflective, thoughtful look at friendship, relationships, and letting go. A lion finds an injured bird and nurses the bird back to health. The lion and the bird spend the winter together, with the lion thoughtfully taking care of the bird and the two enjoying activities together. The bird leaves to rejoin its flock, and the lion is left to reflect on the loss and the experience. This is a surprisingly powerful story; there may have been tears while reading this. Lov ...more
Jillian Heise
Although there were minimal words, I actually think it would have been more effective as a wordless picture book. The illustrations are beautiful, and I felt they told the story just as effectively without the simplistic wording of the text. It felt a bit like the theme was being spelled out for me as the reader instead of trusting me to get it. Perhaps a little nit picky, but I've been reading a lot of wordless picture books lately and seeing the power if them. This one is reminiscent of, and c ...more
Lynn
Lion talks, but Bird uses gestures as they develop a friendship after Bird is injured (we don’t find out how it was injured). Passage of a year is shown through the soft, earthy-toned illustrations, as we see them enjoying the wood fire, sledding, then seeing buds popping up through the snow, and gardening until Bird’s flock returns and he flies off with them.
Double page spreads fill the page, the single page are in an oval frame with sparse folksy art. Lion’s home looks like a yurt! Thick pag
Emeraldia Ayakashi
One autumn day, a lion is a bird in his garden. While other birds continue their journey without him, the lion decides to take care of. However, one day, the bird will continue his journey ...
It allows the author to evoke so bright, important concepts: the power of friendship and the need for altruism, the loss is overcome and hope that nourishes. The album is imbued with great gentleness, which echo the design and colors
A tender illustrated story about loneliness, loyalty, and the gift of frien
Tasha
One day a lion discovers a hurt bird in his garden. He bandages the bird’s damaged wing, but then the rest of the bird’s flock flies away, migrating for the winter. So the lion takes the bird into his home. Throughout the winter, the bird and the lion spend each day together doing all sorts of things. And the lion notices that the winter doesn’t seem as cold with a friend along with him. Then spring arrives and the bird’s wing has mended, so the bird heads off to join its flock as they return fo ...more
Renee
Sep 21, 2014 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Renee by: K-2nd
Emily Bryan-Reeder
The Lion and the Bird is a really fantastic French import. It's thicker than your average picture book, but it isn't very wordy. It would work well for a story time as long as you have a group that will sit still and enjoy the pictures. The story is sweet, about a lion who fixes a bird's wing and then has to let the bird go. The illustrations are soft, vaguely retro and have just enough detail. The use of white space is also very well done. Overall, a great picture book.
Linda
It’s a beautiful, softly painted and nearly wordless story of a bird left behind by his flock, and a lion who cares and befriends it. The lion certainly lives in quite an isolated place, and after they winter together, the bird again must join his flock, and say goodbye. Yet, the book is filled with kind gestures of the caring for each other, and the bird offers the final grand gesture. You’ll need to see and read it to understand how beautiful this story is.
Maïra
Sometimes we hear a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, it is not only a picture but also the lack of them. The illustrations are so well-thought and delicate as the few lines written in the book - all made by the author. The blank pages of the book improve the slow paced rhythm that shows how a friendship is built and how solitude can make time slows down. This book truly shows the great connection of friendship and time.
Samantha
An unlikely friendship story that is near perfection in its simplicity and heart. Lion helps Bird rest and recover from a broken wing. During the winter they become the best of friends. When the weather warms again it's time for Bird to go back to his flock, which is a little sad but "...so it goes. Sometimes life is like that." Lion resumes his business and is happy when Bird spends the winter with him again, developing a predictable pattern for their friendship.

The text is simple yet poetic. I
Kris
This quiet friendship book is unusual: it's much longer than most picture books, but many of the spreads are wordless and the ones that do have words have only one or two sentences. One autumn, Lion finds an injured bird and cares for it during the winter. In spring, the bird is able to fly off with its flock. Lion misses the bird, and when winter returns, so does the bird to Lion. Gentle and cozy.
Rachel
With perfectly sparse text and beautiful, soft, watercolor-and-colored-pencil illustrations, Dubuc tells a simple story about a lion who cares for a wounded bird. The two become friends, but the bird’s migration means they can’t always be together.

The emphasis on gardening through the seasons echoes the motif of the ups, downs, and new beginnings of friendships. This is a beautiful, sweet book.
Carrie Gelson
Wow. This story is told through minimal text, beautiful illustrations, pauses and space. Sometimes what is held in the silence and few precious seconds of a blank page turned or a page that holds just one simple image has huge impact on the overall story. Just so very well done. Themes of friendship, kindness, hope and the passing of time. I adored this book.
Mary
An endearing story of an unlikely friendship that is found, lost and found again. With sparse text and a predictable ending, the power of this picture book lies in the illustrations. They are striking in their soft muted tones with splashes of color and dramatic white spaces. Readers will also appreciate the detailed attention paid to the changing seasons.
Michelle Nero
I'm not sure who recommended this book to me, but thank you. Such a beautiful story of friendship between two unlikely animals. My four year old girls were mesmerized by the lion's kindness. We loved the lion's hat in winter with the peephole for the bird! I'm always grabbed by a book with beautiful, soft illustrations.
Marcia
This is a beautiful picture book. The thick paper pages, the lovely, soft illustrations and the quiet, warm story. The story unfold across the seasons, of a lion and an injured bird that he nurses to health. It's an unlikely friendship story. I enjoyed this sweet tale and think it will be a nice K-2 read aloud.
Jesse
I love this book! It boils down the story of friendship to its bare componenents: two people and caring for each other. I love the minimalist illustrations, especially the single music note which not only moves the story forward, but creates great emotion in the reader! Very beautiful and sweet.
Logan
I think I missed the window on this one, as Logan seems a bit old (or too young) for this one. I loved it. It was a sweet and spare evocation of friendship, patience, and the power of the seasons. I think it's probably best for the 3-7 set or adults-who-love-picture-books. We both enjoyed the illustrations.
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Gaston
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
Animal Masquerade In Front of My House The Bus Ride The Sea Un Elefante Si Dondolava Sopra Il Filo Di Una Ragnatela ..