Start by marking “Hilda and the Black Hound” as Want to Read:
Hilda and the Black Hound

Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda #4)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  1,053 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Hilda and the Black Hound is the fourth installment in the award-winning Hildafolk series.

Hilda is sat in her tent, dwarfed by volumes of the Greater Fjords Wildlife Chronicles with a flashlight and her restless companion Twig, but Hilda’s not in the fjords and it isn’t raining. Hilda’s pitched a tent in her room and it’s been days since she’s been out.

In Hilda’s new adven
Published May 27th 2014 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Hilda and the Black Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilda and the Black Hound

Raina
Aug 30, 2015 Raina rated it it was amazing
HILDA!!! Luke Pearson can do no wrong. Love love loved this.
Lara
Such a little thing, but I think my favorite part in this whole book is a scene where Hilda and her mother are walking home from the grocery store and Hilda's mother has a baguette sticking out of the bag, and at one point Hilda just reaches up and bites the end off of it while walking and her mother doesn't seem to notice or care. Ha!
Raina
Mar 30, 2016 Raina rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, graphicnovel
The magic of this series is Hilda interacting with unique nonhuman creatures. So I get impatient when there is much of anything else in these stories. The whole scouting thing, I could care less about. Even the stuff with her mom, I've read it in a million Realistic Juvenile Fiction stories. MOAR CREATURES PLZ.

Once you get to the core of this story (the nisse), I liked it better. I kinda love the concept of the hidden room in your house, even if it does feel marginally stolen from Un Lun Dun or
Kaethe
On the purely conventional level, Hilda has joined scouts and she's feeling competitive to win badges, because her mother earned a lot of badges when she was a scout. Meanwhile, the town is terrorized by a menacing black hound. And, meanwhile again, Hilda is trying to help out a nisse who is homeless and looks like a soot sprite on legs.

It all comes together. Hilda is up there among my favorite blue-haired heroines, Coraline and Kazou. Also, I really like her dog and I love her mother, who manag
Beth
Jun 15, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Hilda and the Black Hound is the fourth book in the Hilda series. Admittedly, I have not read the previous three (and I plan to remedy that soon!), but I had no problem at all jumping right into Hilda’s world and adventure. And while this book is marketed for children, this adult loved it. This book truly is for kids of all ages because there are a few story lines going on (nothing that causes confusion) and that does lend a level of maturity to this comic.

What immediately impressed me about Hil
David Schaafsma
Graphic novel for kids, tweens. I think I've read three of the four he's done so far and this would seem to be the best. Fantasy world with a strong girl character, blue-haired Hilda whose mother wants her to get out and socialize more so she gets her to join the Sparrow Scouts, she encounters problems with the Nisse and a Black Hound, finds them connected. . .

This is a world like Moomin, Miyazaki, but with a touch of Coraline. If you liked. . . Faith Hicks, Ben Hatke's Zita, Mark Crilley's Aki
Melissa
Aug 02, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
These books are the greatest! They are G's favorites. We read them first when he was about three & he liked them, but I just got them all again & now he is IN LOVE. All day long he says, "Did you know . . . " something something about trolls or the wood man or Twig or those floating head guys who are always migrating whose name I've forgotten (Edit: The woffs!) or any of the other delightful mythology of this series. This is the clear favorite for both of us and I'm reviewing it just bec ...more
Jenna
Apr 08, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
Very cute and whimsical with a drawing style and sense of humor that matched. A refreshing change from some of the books that I've been reading lately. I especially liked how aspects of the paranormal and/or fantastical were incorporated into Hilda's world. Well done and think this one would be a good read for all ages.
Maggie Gordon
Hilda and the Block Hound is my favourite book in the series thus far, and this, of course, has nothing to do with the adorable dog in its pages. Nooo... not at all!

In this volume, there's a menacing black hound wandering the city, and the residents are getting concerned. Not Hilda though, as she's too busy being a scout and learning new things about camping! One of her tasks is to do a good deed a day, and she tries to help a house spirit who was kicked out of his abode. Her attempts rapidly s
Dale Johnson
Jul 24, 2014 Dale Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone age 6 to 100.
All of Pearson's Hilda books are great fun. Comparing them is an exercise in fine gradations. This one I would put at #3 after Hildafolk (Hilda and the Troll) and then Bird Parade. This one has by far the most action, but struck me less from the profundity of Hildafolk and Hilda praising the snugness of her tent in the rain or the irony of the woodman's house, and of less symbolism than the Bird in Bird Parade. I put it above Midnight Giant, just because there is so much more story here.

Reading
Barbara
This is my first foray into Trolberg and the world of the marvelous Hilda, but it won't be my only visit to this graphic novel series. In this one, Hilda joins the Sparrow Scouts at the behest of her mother who worries that she spends too much time alone and too much time in her own imagination. While the town's citizens worry about an enormous wolfish animal roaming the streets, Hilda is busy trying to earn a badge and figure out what to do with the Nisse she befriends. The story is fresh and a ...more
Dolly
Aug 20, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is a graphic novel in a series featuring a little girl named Hilda. The story is dramatic, with dark undertones throughout.

Hilda follows her own path in life, but at times she tries to fit in with the crowd. Her mom encourages her to join a scouting group, but she doesn't quite follow through with any of the tasks to get the coveted badges.

Instead, she concentrates her efforts on finding a home for a Nisse and discovering more about the dangerous Black Hound, recently seen lurking in the t
Tripmastermonkey
Jul 29, 2014 Tripmastermonkey rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Finally- a Hilda book with some heft! I really love the whimsy of the Hilda stories, but they always feel so darn short. This long story really allowed for some plot development and I feel like the art in this particular book is the best of the series. Well done.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jul 31, 2015 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another fun Hilda adventure. She is still trying to adjust to the city, and her mom is still trying to adjust to having an adventurous child in the city.

This time we have Hilda joining sparrow scouts, house spirits being banished, and a giant hound terrorizing the populace.
Olesya
Sep 23, 2014 Olesya rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore the Hilda books. They just keep getting better. What's not to love?! The art, the story lines, the characters, the setting - all are amazing. These books are pure, unadulterated joy.
Adan
Dec 22, 2015 Adan rated it really liked it
I love these Hilda books so much! In this one, Hilda joins the Sparrows (a Scouts-type club), tries to help a Nisse who's been kicked out of his house, and tracks a mysterious, incredibly large black hound across the city.
Jarad Greene
May 26, 2014 Jarad Greene rated it it was amazing
The best yet. GAH I could go on and on about how much I love this. Amazing how a great story can be told in only 64 pages.
Kate McCartney
Sep 21, 2014 Kate McCartney rated it it was amazing
I adore Hilda! Hilda's world is full of trolls, giants, house "elves", little elfen creatures and giant hounds. Hilda has a good heart and wants to help all the creatures she finds.
Colin Holden
Sep 13, 2015 Colin Holden rated it it was amazing
Read this with my daughter who is beginning Brownie Scouts. Mentally prepared now for scouts, hiking, camping, transdimensional tunnels and giant magical hounds.
J.P.
A true heir to Tove Jansson's Moomintrolls!
Emily
If I could be a fictional character, I'd choose Hilda every time.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Edward Sullivan
May 19, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Hilda joins the sparrow scouts and wants to adopt a Nisse. Imaginative and fun.
Malapata
Dec 25, 2016 Malapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No había escuchado hablar de esta serie hasta que se la han regalado a mi hija mayor. La he ojeado por curiosidad y me he encontrado una historia con bastante sentido del humor, donde lo mágico se entremezcla con naturalidad lo cotidiano. Aquí Hilda conoce a los Nisse, pequeñas criaturas del folclore nórdico que viven en los espacios ocultos de las casas (bajo del sillón o detrás de la estantería, por ejemplo), al tiempo que da sus primeros pasos en los jóvenes gorriones (una especie de boy scou ...more
Lotte
Feb 17, 2017 Lotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Another amazing adventure of Hilda! Once again Luke Pearson manages to tell an exciting, quirky, funny and heart warming story about Hilda and the magical creatures of the city of Trolberg. An enjoyable read for young and old.
Leah Hart
Feb 03, 2017 Leah Hart rated it it was amazing
Another short graphic novel that my daughter and I borrowed from the library. It was the second one we read together and now we're after more!

The story begins with a normal girl with a bright imagination and its fingers reach unexpectedly into fantasy. Charming art and an interesting story.
Archana
Nov 29, 2016 Archana rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, reviewed
I picked this up as I was looking for comic books for my daughter who likes to read comics and boy am I glad I did. I ended up reading it and it was such a fun read. Did remind me of the 'upside down' in Stranger things :)
Sandra
Feb 07, 2017 Sandra rated it really liked it
Charming. I love her interactions with the magical creatures, and the seamless mix of traditional folklore and deep contemporary questions like where lost socks go! Some of the scouting moments were pretty funny too. (I wasn't the most attentive scout either.)
Melissa
Nov 25, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
We love the Hilda books. They mix fantasy and reality seamlessly.
Earline
Jan 30, 2017 Earline rated it really liked it
The more Hilda I read, the more I Pearson reminds me of Chris Ware. I enjoyed this arc more than the last few and hope there is more foresty creatures in future stories.
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef: Book 1
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #2)
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • The Lunch Witch
  • Monster on the Hill
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Golden Twine
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Heavenly Nostrils, #2)
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure: A TOON Graphic
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
Luke Pearson is a comic book artist and illustrator, author of Hildafolk and Everything We Miss (published by Nobrow Press). Hildafolk, his first book for Nobrow Press, quickly gained him recognition as a leading proponent of the new wave of English cartoonists.

"Pearson’s whimsical artwork—a cross between Lucky Luke and Miyazaki—creates a magical spell of a mysterious world of hidden creatures, an
More about Luke Pearson...

Hilda (5 books)