Start by marking “The Titanic Locket (The Haunted Museum #1)” as Want to Read:
The Titanic Locket (The Haunted Museum #1)

The Titanic Locket (The Haunted Museum #1)

Don't touch anything in The Haunted Museum!

It looks like the high point of Samantha's spring vacation is going to be a glimpse of a cute boy she sees at The Haunted Museum in England. She and her sister, Jessica, and their parents are taking a cruise on the Titanic 2, a replica of the original Titanic, and there's not even wifi! At least the Titanic exhibit at the Haunted
Published April 29th 2014 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Titanic Locket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Titanic Locket

Mary
Jun 08, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
This book was ridiculously creepy! I had to finish it even though I was super tired because I couldn't leave off in the middle of the horror. I don't think it would be too great for the average upper elementary student because nightmares would ensue! Even when I finished I was still creeped out. It was definitely a page turner and a clever idea, but it's only suitable for fans of true horror stories.
Matthew
Oct 08, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This Bookish Life
May 23, 2014 This Bookish Life rated it it was amazing
The Haunted Museum: The Titanic Locket by Suzanne Weyn is an amazing beginning to a great new series for young readers! What begins as a simple family vacation for sisters, Samantha and Jessica, quickly becomes an action packed mystery complete with frightening spirits who have returned to the Titanic 2 to take care of some "unfinished business". But will this become the end of Samantha and Jessica? Will they share the same awful fate as the passengers of the original Titanic? Weyn has created a ...more
Jenna Anderson
May 08, 2014 Jenna Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A Haunted Adventure

The Haunted Museum is part of Scholastic's Hauntings book series. I already have another book from this group in my pile.

Jessica and Samantha are on the Titanic 2 - a replica ship. The girls even get to dress in clothes from 1912.

The story contained some historical information on the original Titanic - it's layout, passengers, and occurrences as the ship was sinking. I personally was hoping for more, but I feel middle grade readers will find it just right. The mystery is fun.
Evan D. 8 Rdg
Apr 11, 2014 Evan D. 8 Rdg rated it really liked it
The Haunted Museum is about two girls named Samantha and Jessica that go on a cruise called Titanic 2. This ship is a remake of the original Titanic. On the ship, they discover haunting secrets about the past. I liked the book because the plot added a supernatural mystery that made the book more exciting.
Zach Jones
Jun 27, 2014 Zach Jones rated it liked it
One word: CREEPY. Just some advice: never read this book at night. BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...
Amanda Reed
This was a quick and easy read (50 minutes in the car - with distractions). I loved the tie-in with the history of the Titanic.
Amy
May 29, 2014 Amy added it
I thought I would like this one a lot since it combines two of my big interests: ghosts and the Titanic. And the story had great potential - it was one of those books that made me say, "Dammit! I wanted to write that story!" But I didn't think it was executed very well, but I'm not sure I can put my finger on what was lacking. One thing that bugged me was the two sisters in the story were both interested in the same boy, and wasted a lot of time trying to impress him. I never like it when young ...more
Zach Thorner
Apr 07, 2017 Zach Thorner rated it really liked it
People who life historical fiction and suspense will like this book.
Danielle
1. Author’s Background
The author's name is Suzanne Weyn. she was born on July 6, 1955 in New York City. She is an American author. She primarily writes children's and young adult science fiction and fantasy novels. and has written over fifty novels and short stories.
2. Literary Time Period
This happens in England and its in a museum. It talks about the 1900s and then it talks about like now in this time.The reason why it talks about the 1900s because they are looking at that kind of stuff. Like
Reet Champion
May 25, 2014 Reet Champion rated it it was ok
Addled-brained girls ought not be allowed to mess about in museums...for they will do addled-brained things.

On a visit to a creepy museum sisters, Samantha and Jessica do the ridiculous and touch things they were warned not to. And so begins the haunting of a lifetime that follows them to the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic II, replica of the ill-fated ship that sunk in 1912. But, meh, what can ghosts do? Quite a lot it seems. A scary encounter becomes a fight for survival as a possessed locke
Tom
Oct 01, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-trimester
Cas H.
May 27, 2014 Cas H. rated it liked it
The Haunted Museum#1 by Suzanne Weyn was a new way of looking at the sinking of the Titanic. I don't know if I could really say that kids would like this book, it seemed a bit scary. Scarier then I would have thought.
This book is about a locket which was found in the effects of the Titanic after it sunk. The locket is placed in the Haunted Museum and don't touch signs are posted everywhere. Of course, no one ever pays attention to those signs.
A replica ship of the Titanic plans to set sail and
Jamie
Apr 01, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I found this book to be an easy read that I think my 3-5 grade students will enjoy. Many are interested in the Titanic and scary stories, so this is a great pairing. I found it to be scary enough without going overboard. I love that it is historical in the characters that are used and talked about when referencing the history of the boat (although I'm not sure about the twins). I like that there are multiple scares going on that help move the reader through the book (scare, recover, scare, recov ...more
Steph
Mar 06, 2014 Steph rated it it was ok
My old students came running to me with this one, saying it was a "must read" and asking if could I read it RIGHT away so we could talk about it. (Note: do not take advice from fourth graders as to what might be considered a "must read" book.)

It. Was. Awful.

I'm all for using fantastical ideas to encourage kids to read, ESPECIALLY if you can sneak in some true historical information in the books they are reading. Cool cover? Sure? Interesting premise? Fine. But unless you don't know that the Tita
Tamara Menninger
Apr 08, 2015 Tamara Menninger rated it it was ok
Shelves: trc2015
This offering in the "Hauntings" series seems geared toward tween girls who like horror/suspense and would appeal to fans of Mary Downing Hahn and those who are interested in ghost stories. The story follows two sisters Samantha and Jessica as they visit a "Haunted Museum" in England, where they encounter a mysterious locket from the Titanic, before boarding a replica of the Titanic for a cruise. There is a mystery to solve along with encountering the paranormal along the way for the sisters. Ho ...more
Crystal
Jun 06, 2014 Crystal rated it did not like it
Shelves: ghost-stories
My boys saw this at the school book fair and thought it would be a fun, entertaining read since it involved the titanic. I thought I should proofread the book since I knew nothing about it. Oh how wrong they were. The book didn't make much sense and there was way too much girl angst about which sister the boy liked and the writing was meh. Overall the book was awful!!! and definitely not one my boys would like - a complete waste of their money (don't buy a book based on the cover). Its only rede ...more
Savannah Weaver
Feb 14, 2016 Savannah Weaver rated it liked it
I have a really hard time rating middle-grade books because I'm so far removed from the actual intended audience. I think that if I had read this book when I was in middle school, I would have loved it and read it over and over again. Looking at it as an adult, I think it still has some literary merit, but it was kind of shallow for me. That being said, I loved the concept of the "Haunted Museum" and will definitely read the other books in the series.
Mari Anne
Feb 05, 2014 Mari Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
3.5 stars for this MG historical ghost story. The plot moves along at a lightning pace. Almost too fast, as it seems to sacrifice character development. The constant mooning over the cute boy by the sisters was annoying, until there is a ghostly explanation for it at the end. Little bit creepy as the ghosts are actually violent, but great for kids that like to be scared. Probably best for grades 3-6 and will probably mostly appeal to girls.
Allen S.
Feb 19, 2014 Allen S. rated it really liked it
this book was about a locket that was haunting two sisters. the two sisters look alike but they were not twins. Jessica was nice and kind. Samantha was smart and kind and sweet. the setting was on a remake of the titanic.the was conflict the locket was haunting them. the result was throwing the locket over board.i loved it. i would recommencement this book to who every likes ghost books.
Kathleen Guinnane
May 24, 2014 Kathleen Guinnane rated it liked it
Shelves: school
This was a book I read because it was in our school book fair and I got a copy from Netgalley. I'm not a huge haunting in books fan, so it wasn't really my thing. However, my students will really enjoy reading this. They love anything to do with ghosts or the Titanic, so putting them together will be a huge incentive to read. I think it will mostly appeal to my 4th and 5th graders.
Andrea
Apr 08, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
Read this with the boys, Jack picked it out at the school book fair.

Meh, it was ok.

They liked it well enough. They're both really interested in the Titanic, so it was fun for them to learn some more things about it.

I thought it was a bit strange, a bit too creepy for bedtime story reading, plus when all was said and done it didn't make a whole lotta sense.
Dan Kotyk
Jun 30, 2014 Dan Kotyk rated it liked it
My daughter Sydney asked me to read this book. Her 5th grade teacher read it to the class and Sydney loved it. I didn't want to let my daughter down so I read it in a little over two days. It was actually pretty creepy for a young audience. This may explain why Sydney doesn't like to ride haunted houses! Overall, it is a quick read that will hold your attention.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really enjoy books about the Titanic. And lockets, with a hint of paranormal, well yes just what the doctor ordered. I really enjoyed this book enough to read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the "twins" Samantha and Jessica. My library does not have the next book in the series so I bought a copy.

Sharie
Jaselle
Sep 01, 2015 Jaselle rated it really liked it
I thought that The Haunted Museum The Titanic Locket was very informational. It was informational because it was talking about tings that had happened. Also it was very descriptive because I felt every thing the people were feeling on the emotions. Also I really new what was happening i was not confused.
Leslie
Aug 11, 2014 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 8th-grade
The book was very predictable. What I thought was the girl was going to get cursed and someone is goning to help her in the end. That was basically the book. But I liked the parts where she "felt" the titanic sinking.
Courtney
Apr 30, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Always need a upper grade (4th and up) creepy book that the kids all want. I love how they want to be scared...but not really. This one will fit the bill and all my kids love a good Titanic book. This could make for a really fun book club.
Judy LeBlanc
Apr 28, 2014 Judy LeBlanc rated it really liked it
A great ghost story, the beginning of a new series for 9 to 12 year olds. Something to recommend for those who are looking for a ghost story and a little history at the same time. Very ghostly with a medium.
Nevaeh
Oct 23, 2015 Nevaeh added it
I think this is good this book is good because it's Halloween and its scary and Halloween is supposed to be scary Halloween is about being scary so what I think is Halloween and this book goes good and all graveyard go awesome with this
  • What I Came to Tell You
  • The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • Titanic 2012
  • Terror on the Titanic (Choose Your Own Adventure, #169)
  • Strike Three, You're Dead (Lenny & the Mikes, #1)
  • The Shadow Collector's Apprentice
  • Invasion of the Appleheads (Deadtime Stories, #2)
  • Girl Meets Ghost (Girl Meets Ghost, #1)
  • Titanic
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • 101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't!
  • Heroes of 9/11 (Ten True Tales)
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster
  • My Secret Guide to Paris
  • Echoes of Titanic
  • I Was There: On Board the Titanic
  • Star Rise (Horses of the Dawn, #2)
Suzanne Weyn grew up in Williston Park, Long Island, New York. She has three sisters and a brother. As a girl she was very interested in theater and in reading. Louisa May Alcott was her favorite author, but she also read every Sherlock Holmes story. Suzanne lived pretty close to the ocean and going to Jones Beach was one of her favorite activities Even today, if she goes too long without seeing t ...more
More about Suzanne Weyn...

The Haunted Museum (4 books)
  • The Phantom Music Box (The Haunted Museum #2)
  • The Pearl Earring (The Haunted Museum #3)
  • The Cursed Scarab (The Haunted Museum #4)