Start by marking “Outside the Box: Interviews With Contemporary Cartoonists” as Want to Read:
Outside the Box: Interviews With Contemporary Cartoonists

Outside the Box: Interviews With Contemporary Cartoonists

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  38 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
We are living in a golden age of cartoon art. Never before has graphic storytelling been so prominent or garnered such respect: critics and readers alike agree that contemporary cartoonists are creating some of the most innovative and exciting work in all the arts.

For nearly a decade Hillary L. Chute has been sitting down for extensive interviews with the leading figures i
Published April 10th 2014 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Outside the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outside the Box

David Schaafsma
Apr 15, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Hillary Chute interviews Ware and Spiegelman, Bechdel, most of the greats, and helps us understand their work. Not many softball questions. Most of the conversations give us useful insights into craft. Maybe a next book could be about the "next" folks, lesser known people, but this is a pretty essential guide to the greats. There's a lot of reviews and interviews out there and websites, lots of online information, so I am not sure how many people will want to pick this up. Some of the interviews ...more
Kristenyque
Aug 21, 2014 Kristenyque rated it really liked it
I loved this book. There was something about the framework of the interviews that made it easier for me to understand the artist's inspirations and procedures. I was able to get a lot out of the book in regards to how the artists use particular devices to give their work some trademarks and a particular style. I love Barry, Bechdel and Speigleman and with these interviews I was so surprised to learn things about the artists I hadn't heard before. Great!
Stewart Tame
Oct 05, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
Excellent book! Chute interviews some of the best comics creators in the business, among them Daniel Closes, Adrian Tomine, Chris Ware, Phoebe Gloeckner, Alison Bechdel, Art Spiegelman, Scott McCloud ... She's a good interviewer, drawing her subjects out about their work in fascinating detail. Her interviews rank right up there with the ones I used to read in The Comics Journal. One wishes they were longer, but that's one of the signs of a good interview. I particularly enjoyed the chat with ...more
Nick Nguyen
Jan 16, 2015 Nick Nguyen rated it liked it

Great cross-section of high-profile cartoonists selected for the interviews and the inclusion of a good number of female cartoonists is greatly appreciated. I was frustrated at the short length of many of the interviews (I take the point that the interviews were initially published for magazines) though Chute is able to tease out interesting tangents that warrant further stimulation.
Elizabeth
Mar 26, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: women, read-2016
Meghan
Jun 04, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, art
Lynda Barry interview is great. Disappointed with Alison Bechdel interview - seemed rote and sort of impersonal. Skipped a few, read most of the others.
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Alejandra Argaez
Alejandra Argaez rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Atenas
Atenas rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Amanda
Jun 02, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
Steph Myers
Steph Myers rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Lisa Whittington
Lisa Whittington rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Asmith
Asmith rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Jenny Liang
Jenny Liang rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Allison Hanna
Allison Hanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Julian
Julian rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Alvaro
Alvaro rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Greg Allan Holcomb
Greg Allan Holcomb rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Mark Haile
Mark Haile rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Scott Ashworth
Scott Ashworth rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Sarah Laing
Sarah Laing rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Kim B.
Dec 31, 2014 Kim B. rated it it was amazing
Simply a must for anyone interested in graphic novels.