Start by marking “The Priest Fainted: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Priest Fainted: A Novel

The Priest Fainted: A Novel

Layered with love affairs, long car rides, poignant misunderstandings, moments of wonder, and more, The Priest Fainted is nothing less than the recipe of a young Greek-American woman's life. Using her imagination and the stories passed through her bones as ingredients, Catherine Temma Davidson bls memories, Greek myths, recipes, and family gossip to uncover a hidden histor ...more
Published April 15th 1999 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Priest Fainted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest Fainted

Sharon
Jun 21, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
With the skill of Arachne, Davidson weaves her own story together with her mother's and grandmother's, to tell a story that spans centuries and continents. This book was especially meaningful to me; Davidson's mother's family comes from the same town in northern Greece that my mother's family comes from. Very likely the two families knew each other, even though they didn't come from the same village. When I first went to Greece in 1969, we paid a visit to Larissa. I rode in a horse-drawn carriag ...more
May 14, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This book was like ... vegetables. Hard to get through at times, but damn do I feel good now that I've finished it.

Two pages in and I knew this book was meant for curriculum integration, giving me flashbacks to the various specialized literature courses I took in college. I could write a number of papers concerning its heady themes.

Things to know before starting in on this one:

1) The plot is somewhat non-linear… and that’s okay. Such is the case when a main character is struggling to piece tog
Elaine
Aug 05, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
What an amazing spellbinding book! The way the author uses mythology, and the life stories of her mother and grandmother and herself is absolutely magic. The writing is superb. I loved this book and read it in a night.
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
crazy greek story! made me hungry.
David
Jun 01, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: english-lit
I really enjoyed this tale of the woman trying to find herself on a Greek island - hey I did it too - but I didn't like the way it ended.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 06, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
An extremely interesting memoir.
Makes you think about your own life and the experiences that brought you where you are today.
Kelly
Jun 28, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Truly wonderful. Greece - rites of passage, Greek myths, mothers and daughters, immigrants. Read it!
Cally Jackson
Dec 13, 2012 Cally Jackson rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Very good prose but changes back and forth between her and her mother's stories too much and no real sense of 'plot' I didn't care what happened so stopped halfway through.
Natasja Holben Handy
Good. Not great. But if you're a woman preparing to go to Greece, I think you'll enjoy it.
Katie M.
Jan 08, 2010 Katie M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I found myself completely unexpectedly captivated by this book.
Norma Bush
Jun 30, 2013 Norma Bush rated it liked it
I found the book interesting because I visited Greece in 2004. Otherwise, I probably would not have finished.
Michelle
Sep 27, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A woman's life told in Greek myths. She lives in Greece after having grown up in America and reconnects with her family’s past, particularly her mother’s past.
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Adelle
Adelle rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2008
Dionne Peterson
Dionne Peterson rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Mei Dean
Mei Dean rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Toula
Toula rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
David Puterman
David Puterman rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Erinn M
Erinn M rated it it was ok
May 31, 2011
Sheri Scovil
Sheri Scovil rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2010
Ja533
Ja533 rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Karra
Karra rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2009
Maui Pasilan
Maui Pasilan rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Priest Fainted - Who's reading? / discussion 8 10 May 09, 2015 04:13AM