Start by marking “Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)

Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga #2)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  224 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Dragon Temple Saga continues as Zarq Darquel embarks on a trial by fire, defying Dragon Temple scripture by undergoing the rigorous training of an apprentice dragonmaster, while desperately searching for the doctrine that allows women permission to participate in the battles at Arena.

Yet Zarq's difficulties pale in comparison to her craving for the hallucinogenic drago
Published April 3rd 2007 by Roc (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowed By Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowed By Wings

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul Cude
Dragons/Serpents
112th out of 304 books — 229 voters
To Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert A. HeinleinBitten by Kelley ArmstrongCleaning Nabokov's House by Leslie DanielsHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordThe Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King
1/2 A Star More
18th out of 25 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Zarah
Mar 26, 2014 Zarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I was going to bother reviewing the second and third book in this series. I just wasn't sure what I'd say. I liked the book? I hated the book? These books left me reeling, cringing, demoralised and strangely vitalised at the same time? How does one express that?

In reading others' reviews, I sense I'm not the only person struggling to find the appropriate balance. I see a lot of middling reviews, indicative of a lot of emotionally confused readers. I can completely relate. That's w
Shaunesay Eslanai
Aug 16, 2010 Shaunesay Eslanai rated it liked it
This is not a pretty story! It's well done, but it's dirty, gritty, violent and full of despair, yet triumphing against impossible odds. It's one of those stories that you know it's well done, but you're just not quite sure how you feel about it!
Jun 24, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Keeping it real, dragon style. More venom, violence and dragon-sex... but this time I was ready for it.

An online review said it was like "Lord of the Rings set in the Middle East ruled by the Taliban"

Close enough.
Steven Allen
Jun 04, 2015 Steven Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-go, not-kept
This was a good book with a fast pace. The development of the central character, now in her early 20s, was interesting and brisk enough that I did not find myself skimming pages.

The author's world is a little different than your average fantasy, Tolkien-inspired world. Some of the names, places, holidays, and functions are a bit awkward to pronounce. I wish that the author (or her editor) had included a pronunciation guide.

If you are offended by slavery, homosexuality, bestiality, and pervasive
Doris
Feb 13, 2011 Doris rated it did not like it
I picked this book up somewhere at a discount but still think that I spent way too much on it. It isn't badly written just bad writing. The storyline apparently picks up (this is book 2) as our female character is entered as a sort of dragonmaster apprentice in a kingdom where women aren't even second class.

The back cover sounded good. Actually it sounded really good. So much for truth in advertising.

We had our heroine being whipped, tortured, raped by a dragon, starved, forced into manual labo
Anberlin
People who are squeamish about all the sick and twisted things in the world should steer clear of this book, any R21 movies and change channels whenever they happen across TV documentaries of such violence and perversity, especially those tribal ones.

Am I horrified by the disturbing stuff that goes in in it? Yes.
Do I get off on such things and agree with the stuff in it? Hell to the no.
Then, why, you might ask, do I give it a high rating? Because of the ending, the unconventional way it is writt
Yune
Mar 07, 2010 Yune rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Strangely, I was getting nostalgic for those days when, in Korea, I rarely got my hands on the books in a series in order. Maybe I missed the frantic mental coloring-in one has to do when faced with gaps in characters' pasts. Reading things chronologically is so, y'know, passé.

Anyway, I picked up this second book because I'd vaguely heard of the series, and the first few pages that I flipped through had the protagonist being whipped. I can appreciate an author who doesn't spare the rod when it c
Cindywho
Zarq's saga continues, even a little more violent and crazy and venom-addled than before. I got a little confused on who was who at times, but they were all running for that big dragon ...
Poeticdemise
Aug 23, 2014 Poeticdemise rated it it was amazing
Anyone easily off-put by a gritty story is missing out on one of the best series in modern fantasy writing.
Silver Savage
Sep 01, 2008 Silver Savage rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like this kind of story
Recommended to Silver by: none
I really have nothing to say about this book... There were some good parts but... for me, nothing mager.
Dawn
Jul 04, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second book was just as good as the first. I couldn't wait for #3
Meagan
Aug 04, 2011 Meagan rated it it was ok
Egh
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
HÃ¥Kon Skogsrud
HÃ¥Kon Skogsrud rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Joo
Joo rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Erica Vaughn
Erica Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Phuc Nguyen
Phuc Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Peter Paul
Peter Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Rain
Rain rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
David Abram-Jones
David Abram-Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
  • Dissension: the Second Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • The Dragon Delasangre (Dragon Delasangre, #1)
  • The Knight (High Kingdom, #1)
  • The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 6
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Vampire Elite (Vampire Elite, #1)
  • The Weeping Empress
  • The Tiger and the Wolf (Echoes of the Fall, #1)
  • The Third Claw of God (Andrea Cort #2)
  • Lily of the Springs
  • Shadows in the Starlight (Changeling #2)
Janine Cross backpacked through the Middle East when she was 18; she milked cows in Israel, sailed down the Nile with a couple of Dutch girls in Egypt, and skinny-dipped around various isles in Greece.

She then bicycled through Asia and the South Pacific, taking one year just to cycle through Australia. Several years and 24,000 kms later, she returned to her hometown of North Vancouver, Canada. Sin
More about Janine Cross...

Dragon Temple Saga (3 books)
  • Touched By Venom  (Dragon Temple Saga, #1)
  • Forged By Fire (Dragon Temple Saga, #3)