Start by marking “Human Rights and the Uses of History” as Want to Read:
Human Rights and the Uses of History

Human Rights and the Uses of History

What are the origins of human rights? This question, rarely asked before the end of the Cold War, has in recent years become a major focus of historical and ideological strife. In this sequence of reflective and critical studies, Samuel Moyn engages with some of the leading interpreters of human rights, thinkers who have been creating a field from scratch without due ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Verso (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Human Rights and the Uses of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Rights and the Uses of History

Sara
Mar 11, 2015 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: empire
Human Rights and the Non-Uses of Logic

[Through my ratings, reviews and edits I'm providing intellectual property and labor to Amazon.com Inc., listed on Nasdaq, which fully owns Goodreads.com and in 2013 posted revenues for $74 billion and $274 million profits. Intellectual property and labor require compensation. Amazon.com Inc. is also requested to provide assurance that its employees and contractors' work conditions meet the highest health and safety standards at all the company's sites].

H
Onessa
Mar 27, 2015 Onessa rated it liked it
Finally someone who has the same opinion about 'human rights' like I do and who has written it down. Though, the book itself is a bit incoherent and sometimes it's hard to understand why he starts talking about certain stuff... Afterwards I figured the chapters in this book are reactions on criticism people had on his last book 'The Last Utopia'. So I guess it would've been a much better read if I would've read The Last Utopia first (and perhaps also the criticism he received). But how could I ...more
Chelsea
~20% of this was too enmeshed in its field for me to get, but I'm still glad I read it. Human rights have always been a self-evident specter I feel vaguely guilty about, so it was interesting to see the idea of human rights treated like any other idea by looking at its history, implications, etc. I think Moyn's other book would have been a better one to read first, since the essays in this collection read like a collection of postscripts intended for his academic peers.
Maxy.kai
Jul 29, 2014 Maxy.kai rated it really liked it
Well worth a read. It's more of a collection of essays and reviews than one coherent book- though there is an overall thesis. But it does mean you can pick and choose chapters to read rather than reading the whole thing- so my recommendations- chapters one, five, six and seven. And the epilogue where Moyn outlines some ideas for the future of 'Human rights'.
Jon Morgan
Dec 29, 2015 Jon Morgan rated it liked it
A thoughtful and pointed, though far from comprehensive, dive into the critique of 'human rights'. The largest part of the book consists of refutations of various upholders of 'human rights talk' - although this covers a great deal of ground in this debate, the text does a good job of making the discussion accessible. I am interested in reading Moyn's Last Utopia for a more detailed discussion.
Mauricio Santoro
Mauricio Santoro rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Tim Wyman-McCarthy
Tim Wyman-McCarthy rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Nabila
Nabila rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2015
Wayne
Wayne rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Ray Cha Cha
Ray Cha Cha rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2015
Niels Madsen
Niels Madsen rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Alex Hui
Alex Hui rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Chris Lutz
Chris Lutz rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Erick Godliauskas zen
Erick Godliauskas zen rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Mike Mann
Mike Mann rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Frans
Frans rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2015
Jenean Gilmer
Jenean Gilmer rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Regina
Regina rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Shelly Dee
Shelly Dee rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Sara Salem
Sara Salem rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Sam Starr
Sam Starr rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Yousr El Sharawy
Yousr El Sharawy rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Ruxandra Pandea
Ruxandra Pandea rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Samuel Moyn is Professor of European History at Columbia University.
More about Samuel Moyn...