Start by marking “Hungry” as Want to Read:
Hungry

Hungry

3.45  ·  Rating Details ·  1,945 Ratings  ·  440 Reviews
In the future, food is no longer necessary—until Thalia begins to feel something unfamiliar and uncomfortable. She’s hungry.

In Thalia’s world, there is no need for food—everyone takes medication (or “inocs”) to ward off hunger. It should mean there is no more famine, no more obesity, no more food-related illnesses, and no more war. At least that's what her parents, who wor
Published June 3rd 2014 by Feiwel & Friends (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry, please sign up.

Cheyanne Though I would like more books to go along with Hungry, unfortunately it is a standalone book. I have not yet read Gifted but supposedly it is simular…moreThough I would like more books to go along with Hungry, unfortunately it is a standalone book. I have not yet read Gifted but supposedly it is simular to Hungry, but don't take my word on that.(less)

Emily May
Jan 17, 2014 Emily May marked it as lost-interest
This book sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'm just adding it because I'm pretty damn hungry right now.

You know, I think I could write a dystopia - just make something everyone loves illegal and dum, dum, dum... it's the end of the world. Coffee and chocolate have already been taken by Gabrielle Zevin, dammit. Maybe I could outlaw small fluffy animals. Or tea! It could be a British dystopia where all the tea is gone! (what will I do?).*

Now for some foods (you're welcome):

* I will probably nee
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict
I mean I know we're running out of ideas for dystopian novels... but what.....
『Hailey』
Jan 20, 2014 『Hailey』 marked it as to-read
The real Hunger game

Blythe
Nov 06, 2013 Blythe marked it as to-read
Shelves: june-2014-arc

The MC's name is Thalia Apple.

THALIA.

APPLE.

Hello, I am Blythe Pear. This is my friend, Amanda Orange. We are hungry, so naturally our surnames are fruits.
Rhea
Jan 17, 2014 Rhea marked it as probably-not
My reaction after reading the summary:

description

But if you prefer food gifs...

(view spoiler)
Danielle.
Jan 17, 2014 Danielle. marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-release
The synopsis got me like

Richard Denney
Dec 28, 2013 Richard Denney rated it did not like it
Got 144 pages in and just couldn't do it anymore. I swear this book is a giant fucking joke. I'll talk more about it in the first episode of THE BOOK BEATDOWN.
Christine
Mar 05, 2014 Christine marked it as will-not
"Get ready to be Hungry"

Haha what

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I liked the book good enough but sat here trying to think of what I wanted to rate it and how much I liked it. I didn't think it was great or bad. Thalia Apple, yes that is her name, is the main character of the story. She lives in a world where there is no food..NONE..we killed the world at some point in a war and now there are no animals or plants, nothing. The people in the book live by taking meds to make them not hungry and it's supposed to be nutritional and stuff.

But Thalia keeps thinkin
Anne
Jan 17, 2014 Anne marked it as removed-from-tbr
So, according to the description, wouldn't everyone in this society die of malnutrition?
"...everyone takes medication (or “inocs”) to ward off hunger."

Warding off hunger and nourishing the body are two different things. If we all just were able to ignore our hunger (a feeling), we would eventually die of starvation (if we didn't eat, of course).

Hate to be like this, but, words.

Still, an interesting premise if the inocs actually provide sustenance, which I think is what the author meant.
Xiang
Jan 19, 2014 Xiang marked it as to-read
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
Lol, the reactions about this book though.
Sarah K
Jan 27, 2017 Sarah K rated it liked it
I would have to say that I had really high expectations for this book but the book just didn't meet it, but it was still a really great book it was just I think I thought the story line was much bigger than it actually was. I have to say there were some pages and sections in this book that made you want to keep reading to see what happens!! Over all I think this was a fairly great book!
Evie
Hungry, though set in a not-so-distant future, offers a futuristic, semi-dystopian vision unlike anything I've seen before. From all the super advanced technology (like Gizmos, Holograms or HoverCams), to the many changes in humans themselves (eating habits, bodily functions, interpersonal relationships, etc...), it's a world so completely different from ours, it's at times overwhelming.

"Remember our motto," says Yaz in a mock serious voice, "One World, One Big Human Family."

The action of Hun
Eunice
Dec 28, 2013 Eunice marked it as to-read
I sincerely hope this is satire. An allegory of first world problems like diets and eating disorders. Or satire that is ridiculing the number of shoddy YA dystopian novels that serve no purpose other than to be yet another 'dystopian' novel to be consumed (punintentional) [you know the ones - the ones with unidentified 'rebels' that 'attack' the 'safe haven' with no explained motive]. That could be amazing.

Otherwise, I'm done. So done.
Jeff Briel

FOOD IS GONE

Suddenly I am hungry

But... there's no food!

So, there's no food in the future huh. How did that happen?!

Demon popcorn! ^^

I think that's stupid, but it's tackling the major problem of the world. Hint hint, world hunger ring a bell? I'm curious what this book will bring us, maybe another political message like Proxy? Let us see, to be read! Random pic ding a ding!

Prerna Kashyap
Jan 04, 2014 Prerna Kashyap marked it as to-read
Weirdest. Concept. Ever.
Josiphine
Jan 17, 2014 Josiphine marked it as not-interested
Seriously? Is this a real book? *loses all faith in humanity*
Dark Faerie Tales
May 03, 2014 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was ok
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: I didn’t have high expectations for this novel, but even I was let down by the multitude of things wrong with the book overall.

Opening Sentence: In the ghostly branches of a hologram tree, the light winks off something red and round.

The Review:

Thaila Apple lives in a world where there is no food necessary. One World treats all citizens with free Synthanil that provides nutrients, and is very strict on these no food laws. It’s only to protect
Savina M.
Jan 14, 2015 Savina M. marked it as maybe
In the future food is gone

I have no idea why but that line makes me crack up.

Jenn
Imagine a future where there is no food and the only nutrition you get is through a synthetic substance called Synthamil. Your daily dose of Synthamil is carefully calibrated to your body’s needs and eliminates the need for actual food. So none of this:

Or this:

description

Nothing! Just a small liquid tube of nutrients. Sounds yummy…

description

In this future, all forms of food (seeds, animals, etc) have been eliminated or lost to wars. Scientists have found a way to sustain society without the constant struggle of peop
Harlee
Mar 14, 2014 Harlee rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3 stars.
This was a VERY interesting and unique story.
I found the beginning a bit slow. Because of how technologically advanced this world was, I was a bit lost. It felt really sci-fi-y to me and that's not really my thing. There was a time I considered putting the book down, actually. The story felt too heavy and overwhelming to me. I can say now that I'm satisfied with the story and glad I didn't put it down.
Thalia irritated me. A LOT. She seemed to make so many stupid, rash mist
Hannah
Jul 07, 2015 Hannah rated it did not like it
I’m basically going to rip this book to shreds. It’s fucking awful. There’s no way to sugarcoat it. I originally made a video book review about this book, however it ended up being 20 minutes long. I could sit here and go through the entire book (like I did in my notes for this review) but instead I’m just going to point out some really awful things about this book in hopes that no one will ever buy or read it.

1. The main character’s name is Thalia Apple. She meets a boy named Basil. Is the auth
Michelle
Jan 21, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
This is the most ridiculous thing ever, second only to The Selection.
Shae McDaniel
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT: http://www.shaelit.com/2014/07/review...

**Actual rating closer to 1.5 stars**

Nnnnngh. Just... nnnngh. Hungry by H.A. Swain has such an interesting concept. What would a future look like where food is irrelevant? And how would that future fall apart if its citizens started feeling hungry again? Unfortunately, I couldn't quite stomach what the author was dishing up. I guess you could say it didn't quite cut the mustard. Actually, some parts really cheesed me off. While some o
Ekaterina Filimonova
Aug 17, 2014 Ekaterina Filimonova rated it really liked it
Не ожидала, что мне понравится книга.

Начинала её читать на английском, забросила, показалась мне скучноватой, после окончания ЛП решила дочитать ее *ну и разгрузить свой список "в процессе"*. Поработали над книгой хорошо, но могли бы лучше.

Теперь о самом сюжете.

Автор неплохо описала мир, в котором нет еды и вдруг внезапно люди начинают чувствовать голод, но всё равно, мне конец показался какой-то слишком быстрый, немного недосказанный. Хоть некоторые моменты для меня автор так и раскрыла, осо
Jessie Potts
May 01, 2014 Jessie Potts rated it really liked it
This book's cover first caught my eye, then the premise? Awesome. In Thalia's world, no one eats, and no one feels hungry. They all take the inocs. She's taught there's no more famine, food-related diseases or war. But when Thalia starts to feel hungry, she and Basil (our brave hero) must go underground and realize how much they have been lied to. This is the exact type of YA dystopian I adore. The world building is complex, and if you don't pay attention at times, it can be overwhelming. Now th ...more
Brad Sells
Dec 02, 2013 Brad Sells rated it really liked it
Well, that was... interesting! It's unlike any other dystopian I've read, and the writing style took a little while to get used to, but once I did, the storyline took off.

Look for my full review in June!
Madison Zielinski
Jan 13, 2016 Madison Zielinski rated it it was amazing
Hungry is another one of those books set in the future, where the world is crashing down. One main thing is there is not food. But starvation is not a problem. Thalia Apple, the main character, is the daughter of the two most important scientists. They were the ones to invent the substitute for food, synthamil. It gives the same essential nutrients as food. Thalia and her family live in the higher life of society in the inner loop. She starts to feel empty in her stomach. She realizes that she i ...more
Celeste_pewter
Jan 18, 2014 Celeste_pewter rated it liked it
Ellie
Feb 15, 2017 Ellie rated it it was amazing
I really like dystopian books. I like how there are always new concepts or ways to live. I think that this book was really creative and interesting. I liked the concept and thought it was a really good book.
Round and Flat Characters 1 7 Nov 02, 2015 10:47AM
What foods would you miss? 4 10 Oct 12, 2015 10:56AM
YA Book Central: Hungry 2 6 Sep 11, 2015 03:51PM
David Estes Fans ...: Hungry Buddy read! 41 16 Mar 03, 2015 08:57PM
Catsisfab: Chapter One 3 22 Jun 27, 2014 06:37PM
Addicted to Novel...: Hungry by H.A. Swain 1 16 Mar 30, 2014 07:20PM
  • Expiration Day
  • Plus One
  • A Girl Called Fearless (A Girl Called Fearless, #1)
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants #1)
  • Dark Days
  • Riot
  • The Bodies We Wear
  • End Times
  • Deliver Me
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Drowned (Drowned, #1)
  • Salvage
  • The Fearless
  • The Memory Keepers
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Bubble World
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
Heather Swain lives in a crooked house in Brooklyn, New York with her husband, two children, a barkless dog, and two rescue cats. She is the author of four novels for young adults, two kids craft books, two novels for grown ups, and numerous short stories, personal essays, and non-fiction articles.
More about H.A. Swain...