Start by marking “No Dogs Allowed” as Want to Read:
No Dogs Allowed

No Dogs Allowed

Kate and Lucie are best friends. Kate is neat and Lucie is messy. Kate wakes up early and Lucie loves to sleep in. But both girls love, love, love dogs!

Unfortunately, Kate and Lucie live in apartments where dogs are not allowed. Instead of real dogs, they have dog T-shirts, dog sheets and pajamas, and dog books. But nothing is quite the same as having a real dog.

One day, t
Published June 10th 2014 by Square Fish (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about No Dogs Allowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dogs Allowed

Joanna Galluzzo
Feb 28, 2017 Joanna Galluzzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny!
Daniel Middleton
Oct 28, 2014 Daniel Middleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Kate Farber and Lucie Lopez live in the same apartment building—a rare treat for two best friends who share a love for dogs—only the building they live in does not allow them to have dogs, hence the book's title. It's Adopt-a-Dog Week and a local radio station is hosting a song-writing contest to spur listeners to get people to adopt dogs from the Tuckertown Shelter; a task the girls are eager to take up. While they are complete opposites (one is messy, the other tidy; while one loves to sleep i ...more
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Kate and Lucie are best friends, and they LOVE dogs. They have dog tshirts, dog stuffed animals, and dog posters all over their rooms. Unfortunately, the apartment building they both live in does not allow does, so they can't have one of their own. They want to help the dogs in their community, though, so when they hear about a contest to create a song promoting dog adoption, they jump at the chance. Then one day at the thrift store, the two friends spot sparkly dog bone necklaces and have to tr ...more
Carol
Best friends, Kate and Lucie, have a lot in common. But their obsession with dogs and desire for their own canine pets influences everything around them. From their telephones ring-tone to their wardrobe and book collection, dogs are their favorite thing. When the two girls discover some adorable necklaces with little pink dog bone charms at the thrift store they know they have to have them. They immediately try them on and are so ecstatic they holler and give each other a high five. This trigge ...more
Kate
Oct 29, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, transitional
Kate and Lucie are best friends who buy a pair of necklaces at a thrift shop. Imagine their surprise when they turn into dogs after saying "Woofa-woof" to each other and high-fiving! Silly? Yes. But it's a premise that many kids will love. Each chapter is almost like a short story detailing some of Kate and Lucie's misadventures as dogs, interspersed with a plot about a radio show that is trying to drum up support for a local animal shelter by holding a jingle contest.

I'm trying to become bette
Mina
Nov 06, 2015 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm writing this on behalf of my 8 year old daughter. This is her 2nd favorite series (#1 being Harry Potter). The stories seem trite to me, but I'm not a 8-year-old girl. She likes both the main characters in it, and they turn into dogs with the power of magic, what's not to love? They check out a fair bit at the library I work at, so I'd recommend as a good early/mid level beginning chapter book series for kids wanting something harder than Magic Fairy or the Puppy Place books. They are more g ...more
Esutterlin
I won't revisit the well-described plot, but for light humor and fantasy, this is a fun read. It is not as original as I might have hoped, but is a more contemporary story than the Shaggy Dog that young readers' parents and grandparents may have watched on TV years ago. But shapechanging magic is always appealing to young readers' imagination, and this might just be the book to hook a young dog lover.
I didn't remember the book from cover or title, but as soon as I began to read it when I picked
Jean Haberman
A cute book for dog-loving girls. The two authors Stephanie Calmenson and Joanna Cole both wanted a dog when they were young, so they collaborated on this book. There are more books in this series called "Ready, Set, Dogs!"

Kate and Lucie are best friends who discover they can change into dogs while they are wearing necklaces they found at a thrift shop. The book is a series of adventures they have while teasing two boys with their new found trick. I like the fact that they end up being volunteer
Marzieh
Jul 21, 2016 Marzieh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kary
Jan 28, 2014 Kary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for review from MacMillan. An adorable beginning chapter book for ages 6-9 about 2 best friends who LOVE dogs, but aren't able to have them because their apartment building does not allow them. After buying matching dog bone necklaces at a thrift shop, they find that the necklaces have magic powers that make them change into dogs with a high five. Cute new series for young dog lovers!
Amber Polo
Sep 15, 2013 Amber Polo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, fantasy
A cute story with plenty of action and dialogue for tweens who love dogs.
Two girls, who love dogs but can't have a dog, buy necklaces that allow them to change into dogs at will. The girls collaborate with two boys to win a song writing contest about adopting dogs.
A nice introduction to canine rescue and shelters and how to help. Lively with a clever bit of magic.
Note: The ARC's illustrations were non complete but looked like a great addition to the story.
Dolores
There is a lot of appeal for animal lovers here, especially those just starting to read. The illustrations are cute, there are activities and extension activities in the back. But. First chapter books used to be my collection and I read a lot of them. I understand they are aimed at a young, just-starting to read audience. But there are plenty of them that I enjoyed reading. This wasn't one of them.
Susan  Dunn
I picked this short chapter book up b/c a patron said her daughter just loved it. It's a cute story. Two little girls who both love dogs buy a pair of matching pink dog bone necklaces at their favorite thrift store. Then they discover that the necklaces can turn them into actual dogs. As you can imagine, they have quite a bit of fun with this over the course of the book. Will be great for kids who like funny stories, or who love dogs.
H
Aug 10, 2014 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serviceable series start for early chapter book readers (late 2nd/3rd) about two girls who find matching magical dog bone necklaces that allow them to transform into dogs. The girls have lots of fun running around town, writing a song for a contest, and getting into doggie trouble. Cute and innocuous fun for children ready for chapter books. Great for dog lovers.
Jen
Dec 17, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing this on behalf of my 7 year old...a cute story about best friends who love dogs. The girls love all things dog, but cannot have pets where they live. One magical day they turn into dogs (!!!!) and have all manner of fun adventures. N loved this and talked about it all week. She can't wait for the next book in the series.
Bethe
bookaday #83. Wanted to go back and read book #1 of the Ready, Set, Dogs series to see how Lucie and Kate got their magical powers. Cute little story for dog lovers eager to read their first chapter book.
Amy Varchetti
A beach read for kiddos. Not a lot of depth to the plot, but still plenty cute and imaginative. The bonus jokes and articles following the story add a little extra fun. Girls who are dog lovers will especially enjoy this book.
Kaye
My 5 year olds loved this. Best friends that live next door to each other, love dogs and come up with magic necklaces that allow them to change to dogs (and back) at will. Lots of laughs for my kids.
Katie
Dogs, best friends, magical necklaces, what more could you want? Cute story for intermediate readers.
Tanja
Nov 05, 2014 Tanja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chn-fantasy
Beginning chapter book with illustrations that remind in style of the Stink and Judy Moody books. The book will definitely appeal to all dog-loving girls. Overall quite cute.
Tina
I really like the way the girls turned into dogs.
I also like how they won the contest
and helped dogs find homes.
Christina Hutson
cute quick read
Martha
Nov 04, 2013 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Librariansteph, Elissa
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
This is a fun very easy to read chapter book about girls obsessed with dogs, from the duo who wrote the Gator Girls s,eries.
Marge Keller
Cute book, kids will like it. Nothing spectacular. Even kids who don't like animals.

Lisa Calvert
Sep 28, 2014 Lisa Calvert rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-2015
Yawn. Predictable, flat humor. I see it as a tough sell to 3rd graders.
Anne
Solid early chapter book ideally suited for those looking for gentle, humorous stories. I'm glad I'll have this when parents ask for a chapter book that is age appropriate for precocious readers.
Maryam H
Maryam H rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
MrsEmerson
MrsEmerson rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2017
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013