Start by marking “The Time Traveler's Almanac” as Want to Read:
The Time Traveler's Almanac

The Time Traveler's Almanac

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The Time Traveler's Almanac is the largest and mostdefinitivecollection of time travel stories ever assembled. Gathered into one volume by intrepid chrononauts and world-renowned anthologists Ann and Jeff VanderMeer,this book compilesmore thana century's worth of literary travels into the past and the future that will serve to reacquaint readers with beloved classics of th...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Tor Books (first published November 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Traveler's Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Traveler's Almanac

Mark
As we approach the end of the year, we get another behemoth collection from the Vandermeers and Head of Zeus. After 2011′s The Weird, which deservedly won awards, and last year’s Zombies! in 2013 we get The Time Traveller’s Almanac. (Or at least we do here in the UK: US readers will have to travel a little further in time until March 2014 for their copies.)

There are many collections of time travel stories out there. This one is claimed to be the biggest, and, as I’m sure many reviews will say, t...more
Johanne
oh this started so well and then lost me. In the first two sections I was completely hooked. All the stories gripped me but then in the remainder I found fewer and fewer that caught my imagination. So the ones I liked were the experiments and investigators, the paradoxes and communicators didn't grab me. Maybe this is my sci-fi heritage just showing itself. The later sections seemed largely to feature newer works whereas the early pieces were more 60s and 70s items; the era of my introduction to...more
Michael
Originally published at "The Nameless Zine". Check it out for more reviews.

If you are enthralled by the beauty and passion of 18th Century Scotland in Outlander or long to journey through time and space with The Doctor, award-winning anthologists Jeff and Ann VanderMeer have assembled the perfect guidebook for you.
The Time Traveler’s Almanac is the definitive compilation of time-travel related stories, including 70 fiction and non-fiction works – from the earliest published story about a time m...more
angie

"When we’re talking about whether or not a story’s 'time travel logic' makes sense, it is important to remember that every story builds its own framework for its own logic."--from the intro to The Time Traveler's Almanac

Though I am still reading The Time Travler's Almanac, I just have to go ahead and write something about how wonderful the collection is so far...I especially love the amazing short story by Robert Silverberg called "Needle In A Timestack."

It's part love story, part self-discovery...more
David Davis
The Time Traveler's Almanac is collection of time travel fiction and features authors that range from Ursula K. Le Guin to H G Wells (who wrote one of the most well known pieces of time travel fiction, The Time Machine) to newer, not-so-well-known writers like Tony Pi.

The Weird is one of my favorite--if not my most favorite--anthologies of all time so I really didn't expect to like Almanac as much but I have to say that it comes pretty darn close. For one, I felt like the stories in Almanac were...more
Matt Hlinak
‘The Time Traveler’s Almanac’ purports to be “the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled,” and I was unable to find anything capable of disputing this claim. The editors have compiled 72 pieces by luminaries of the genre like H.G. Wells, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R.R. Martin, Douglas Adams and Isaac Asimov. Highly recommended for all sci-fi and time travel buffs.

Read my full review at Pop Mythology.

Matt Hlinak
Author of DoG
Riju Ganguly
I would like to be honest. I have failed to complete this book despite sticking to/at it for months (ages?), and yet I am so sick of finding it grinning at me like a hideous laughing Buddha statue whenever I check-in at Goodreads, that I decided to mark it as read. However, I have a justification handy. This tome is like OED, and that book, as everyone would agree, can't be COMPLETED, despite being full of riveting as well as important stuff. Therefore, using that analogy, I am stuffing the tome...more
Mjhancock
(Given the book's massive length, I was very tempted to do some sort of labored joke about how reading it was like time travelling into the distant future. I've (mostly) spared you from that; you're welcome.) The Time Traveller's Almanac is an anthology of science-fiction stories about time travel. And really, the first thing that will strike you about the book is how vast an anthology it is, with 71 different short stories--maybe 70, depending on how you count Harry Turtledove's two part contri...more
Artur Coelho
May 20, 2014 Artur Coelho is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Yu dá-nos preciosas dicas para bem sucedidas viagens no tempo no divertido Top Ten Tips for Time Travellers.

Death Ship de Richard Matheson ressoa com a iconografia da FC clássica. Exploradores do espaço deparam-se num planeta com os destroços de uma nave espacial e os cadáveres dos seus tripulantes. Investigam e apercebem-se que a nave é a sua e os cadáveres os seus. Vendo-se presos num paradoxo temporal, ao tentar a fuga despoletam os eventos que os levarão à morte.

Ripples in the Dira...more
Rachel
I adored this book and as an erratic reader, I found the condensed stories of so many of my favorite authors wonderful to read in-between novels. The collection is vast, diverse, unique, and certain to provide stories you've never read and will immediately come to love. The only factor that could bring down one's enjoyment of this collection is the occasional piece disuniting to one's taste. Of course, with a collection this large, if not a single story failed to fit one's style, then there woul...more
John Herbert
OK..you’re not going to believe this.
It was only my second outing but I skipped down to the basement and flipped the relevant gears into action, sending the Time Machine, with myself on board, back in time just a couple of years.

The Vandermeers were discussing the possible topics for their next anthology,
when I landed right smack bang in the middle of their dining table, cutlery and food flying everywhere.
Of course it had the desired effect that I was seeking: it totally disrupted their current...more
Art
Mr Sherman and Peabody introduced me to the time machine. They entered the WABAC machine to immerse themselves in moments of history where their presence altered the unfolding events to the correct version of the story we know in the history books. It was all great fun at the time for a kid, spread over ninety-one cartoon segments involving Cleopatra, Gutenberg, Florence Nightingale, James McNeil Whistler and so on. http://www.timetravelreviews.com/tv_r... … The Twilight Zone, "2001: A Space Ody...more
Jeff Deck
Apr 29, 2014 Jeff Deck is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Stories:

Death Ship (Matheson) -- 3 stars -- two for the story, one for the fact that it is Richard Matheson
Ripples in the Dirac Sea (Landis) -- 5 stars -- Wow, this was great.
Needle in a Timestack(Silverberg) -- 3 stars -- Anticlimactic. Started off cool.
Another Story (Le Guin)-- 1 star -- Too complicated and boring. I enjoy other Le Guin but could not get into this.
Hwang's Billion Brilliant Daughters (Sola Kim) -- 4 stars -- Not sure exactly about the "whys" of this one, but it was still pretty...more
Jeff Wetherington
I am grateful to have won/received this ARC edition of "The Time Traveler's Almanac" from Tor.com two weeks ago.

This anthology consists of 69 time travel stories, broken down into 4 categories: Experiments; Reactionaries and Revolutionaries; Mazes and Traps, and Communiques over a space of 960 pages. I'm a fast reader, yet it still took me 2 weeks of using all my spare time to read in order to finish this large collection.

And what a collection! Stories by masters we are all familiar with such as...more
Derek Walsh
I've been a fan of science-fiction since childhood (even if I read it rarely these days) and have always had a particular enthusiasm for time travel stories. The possibilities of righting a wrong, of reliving moments of history, and of mind-bending paradoxes have always fascinated me. And this collection is full of all that and more. It is a massive collection, running to nearly a thousand pages and while it would be too much to hope that every story in such a weighty tome would be a winner, the...more
Nick
An astounding collection of stories about the perils of time travel. Alas, it just never seems to work. Not surprisingly, perhaps, the best tales are gifts from the likes of Ursala K. LeGuin and George R. R. Martin. But the most fun are the ones that make you think about the possibilities -- that maybe, just maybe, you might be the exception to the rule that all time travel ends badly.
Nic
Overall this anthology is amazing. I was introduced to some authers I hadn't heard of and work by some of my favorites that I have never read. Although I will admit to skipping a few stories, this is still a great collection if you have the time and inclination.
Cynthia
This book ended up in my suitcase for a nice extra long weekend trip to Edisto Beach this summer. It is a collection of 72 science fiction tales all with a theme of time travel. I didn't read them all, but enjoyed each tale.
Denise
Good collection of time travel stories, covering a wide range of time and topic. Nice to read a couple of stories from the late Kage Baker.
Chris
A hefty survey of the diversity of time travel stories. And it excels at diversity - classics and recent stories, straight-up time machine and experimental narratives, clever twists and formulaic clunkers. I certainly wouldn't have minded a smaller, more selective book, but the VanderMeers have put together a collection that while uneven, manages to pander too and challenge a wide variety of readers.
Shilpa

Let's time travel. Right now. Are you ready?

full review at sukasareads.com
Frederick Gault
I enthusiastically recommend this collection of short stories about Time Travel.
Any Length
A collection of time traveller stories which are mostly amusing and partly strange.
Markt5660
A comprehensive collection of time travel stories. Some new, some older. Authors from all over the world. There were classics (Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder"), stories made into Twilight Zone episodes (Matheson's "Death Ship") and a story from one of my favorite authors (Stross' "Palimpsest"). As with many collections this broad, there will definitely be some stories you like more than others. But, overall, I enjoyed this collection.
Yvonne Stegall
This is a wonderful collection of science-fiction time travel stories. I am so happy I won this through first reads. Not only did I find new stories that I never read before, as well as authors I had not heard of, but it was also laden with greats; Richard Matheson, H.G. Wells, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, George RR Martin, Isaac Asimov, and more!

This is the perfect collection for anyone that loves science fiction.
Mantsch
Overall a really good compilation. Certainly some stories were better than others, whatever. If I have one complaint it's that some of the stories seem like they counted on the time travel to be. Surprise twist. Obviously in a compilation of time travel stories, it's not.

But it's a lot of book, and worth it if it sounds interesting, it's remarkable how many ways there are to approach this single idea.
A.M.
An incredibly long book but well worth reading if you're a time travel fan - there is something for everyone in here and some truly engrossing stories.

My only nitpick was the inclusion of excerpts from longer time travel stories (as they were very clearly incomplete and unsatisfactory to read) however this is more than made up for by the general quality and variety of stories.

Happy :-)
Clive Mccartney
An astonishing collection, at times enthralling, at times frustrating, but reliably repeating a new and different spin on the theme of time travel. While going through the different short stories I occasionally found myself wanting the short to become long, but then was glad for the next very different presentation of the theme. Thoroughly recommended.
David
This 1200+ page collection is packed with a nice cross section of Time Travel fiction. While I had read some of them before, the stories were (almost) all fun and worthy of inclusion. There were a couple that didn't pique my interest, but that is the beauty of a large collection.
Kara Bianca
I don't really know what to say about this book. It was a collection of short stories, of course, which lends itself easily to feelings of apprehension. Some of the stories I really enjoyed, whereas others were simply a battle to get through, but I think on a whole it was pretty good!
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • The Pilgrims (Pendulum, #1)
  • The Burning Dark (Spider Wars #1)
  • The Best of Connie Willis: Award-Winning Stories
  • What Makes This Book So Great
  • The Melancholy of Mechagirl
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
The New Weird Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2) The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: The Evil Monkey Dialogues Best American Fantasy

“There is no “makes sense” in the universal sense – that is to say, criticizing a time travel story because its rules do not line up with rules in the real world is akin to dismissing the Harry Potter books because the conductive properties of wood could never sustain the energy required for spell casting.” 1 likes
“When we’re talking about whether or not a story’s “time travel logic” makes sense, it is important to remember that every story builds its own framework for its own logic. In that sense, time travel is more of a fantasy-based story element than a science-based one. Time travel does not exist in the real world, and any broadly accepted rules for how it can and can’t work were derived from a bunch of “that guys” talking about time travel fiction. There is no “makes sense” in the universal sense – that is to say, criticizing a time travel story because its rules do not line up with rules in the real world is akin to dismissing the Harry Potter books because the conductive properties of wood could never sustain the energy required for spell casting. Approaching a time travel story with a dogmatic measuring stick in hand also denies the unique pleasure that the genre affords tinkerers. A good story’s internal logic is flawless, and everything in between its first and last word makes sense on its own terms. In that way, it presents the tinkerer with the literary equivalent of an Escher drawing. Internally, step by step, the logic of Escher’s staircase makes (or makes you believe it makes) nefariously perfect sense, and its dissonance with what we know to be possible is not something you have to “just accept and get over to enjoy it,” but is the very source of what’s enjoyable about it.” 0 likes