Start by marking “Thomas Jefferson: The American Presidents Series: The 3rd President, 1801-1809” as Want to Read:
Thomas Jefferson: The American Presidents Series: The 3rd President, 1801-1809

Thomas Jefferson: The American Presidents Series: The 3rd President, 1801-1809 (The American Presidents #3)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
An illuminating analysis of the man whose name is synonymous with American democracy

Few presidents have embodied the American spirit as fully as Thomas Jefferson. He was the originator of so many of the founding principles of American democracy. Politically, he shuffled off the centralized authority of the Federalists, working toward a more diffuse and minimalist leadershi
Published November 5th 2013 by Times Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas Jefferson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas Jefferson

Joe
May 18, 2014 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Book fourteen of my Presidential Challenge. This is the second book I've read in this "The American Presidents" book series and I find they read like extended Wikipedia entries: Heavy on facts, light on heart. Not necessarily a bad book, it gave me everything I needed to know. His easy first term, where the Louisiana Purchase fell right into his lap and his much less successful second term.

His Vice President, Aaron Burr. Only crap. There could never have been a VP that antagonized their Presiden
Steven Peterson
Jul 23, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his biography of Thomas Jefferson, titled "American Sphinx," Joseph Ellis tellingly says at one point (Page xvii): "As I have found him, there really is a core of convictions and apprehensions at his center. Although he was endlessly elusive and extraordinarily adroit at covering his tracks, there were bedrock Jeffersonian values that determined the shape of the political vision he projected so successfully onto his world. . . ."

Joyce Appleby, author of this brief volume in The American Pres
Russ Ewell
May 23, 2016 Russ Ewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have often wondered why Thomas Jefferson held such a hold on my vision of a leader. His record with slavery cannot be dismissed or overlooked, especially when men like John Adams held honorable positions at the same time in history.

Nevertheless, the most important thing about the study of leadership is our ability to take the strengths of particular leaders, and make them our own. Someday I may write about the very human nature which allowed Thomas Jefferson to hold on to slavery, because it w
William  Shep
Professor Appleby has presented a generally thoughtful account of the life, thought, and public service of America's third president, Thomas Jefferson. She presents an insightful examination of his contradictions, such as being a champion of freedom without including the slaves, or advocate of states' rights while increasing the power of the federal government when it suited him. However, in the end, there is just too much hand-wringing about Jefferson's failure to live up to (21st century) libe ...more
David
Apr 08, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting survey of Jefferson's life and times. Appleby discusses the early influences on Jefferson's moral and political "dichotomy" with regard to his view of natural rights through the eyes of a genteel and privileged slave-holder. The emergence of his political philosophy as a counterweight to the Federalists' elitism and his antipathy to organized religion while protecting religious liberty is especially interesting, and to me, TJ seems less a hypocrite than I used to believe. I was al ...more
Joshua
Aug 30, 2015 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever want to get Trivia Night at local pub knowledge about Presidents, the American Presidents series is a good quick overview that reads like Wikipedia and more than a few reek of revisionist 21st century bias. Nonetheless, a good starting point and outline for further research into the Presidents if you so desire.
Carrie
Apr 30, 2011 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent, short bio of Jefferson, however, at the end Appleby starts haranguing about Jefferson's moral failures - from her seat in the 21st century world. She basically blames all of America's racial problems on Jefferson implying that if he had only freed his slaves we never would have had racial issues. Right. No book is written without bias, however, the author here was clearly (and openly) not capable of letting Jefferson live in his century, rather she expected him to live in her ...more
Pat Carson
Appleby has written a book that concentrates on Jefferson the presidential politician. Good read.
Michael Sheen
Interesting points and perspectives on founding fathers and their views on Americas government.
Virginia Haas
Mar 06, 2016 Virginia Haas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, but difficult reading. ..reveals the passionate positions held by both sides...need a dictionary
Dave McMahon
Appleby's Thomas Jefferson is a moderately interesting book. The author seems not to create a powerful narrative about the life of Jefferson, brushing up on secondary themes but without adressing in details the most interesting parts of his administration.

Honest work, I would suggest it to those interested in the complexity of Jefferson's mind, but it remains less interesting as a initiation lecture than Jon Meacham's Art of Power.
Tonya
Aug 21, 2008 Tonya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book showed a well rounded picture of who Thomas Jefferson was. It tried to look at all of the amazing things he did, as well as, his philosophies that I dislike now. I would read another book by this author.
Biographyguy
I learned more about the man Thomas Jefferson from David McCullough's biography on John Adams than I did from this volume. It's not a bad piece of work, but it is also not a good piece of work.
L. Hager
An excellent survey of Jefferson's two terms, with a focus on his inconsistencies between freedom and slavery. This short volume is good preparation for a visit to Monticello.
Gail Hoskins
Deals primarily with Jefferson's presidency. Very interesting analysis of his problem with the Federalists and the start of party politics.
Walter Straus
Jul 09, 2011 Walter Straus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Heavy reading at times. But very informative about that exciting time in our history.
Craig Bolton
Thomas Jefferson: (The American Presidents Series) by Joyce Appleby (2003)
Daniel Currie
Jan 13, 2010 Daniel Currie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dry read, but interesting nonetheless.
Kirk Bower
Disconnected, choppy, etc

Andrew Cook
Andrew Cook marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Gazal Nurudeen
Gazal Nurudeen rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Mathew Rariden
Mathew Rariden rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Ruth Williams
Ruth Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Yudha Syahputra
Yudha Syahputra rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Rajan Yadav
Rajan Yadav rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
John Cross
John Cross marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Daniel Norris
Daniel Norris rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
  • John Adams (The American Presidents, #2)
  • George Washington (The American Presidents, #1)
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Theodore Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #26)
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (The American Presidents, #34)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • James K. Polk (The American Presidents, #11)
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • Abraham Lincoln (The American Presidents, #16)
  • Richard M. Nixon (The American Presidents, #37)
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • George Washington (The American Presidents, #1)
  • John Adams (The American Presidents, #2)
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • James K. Polk (The American Presidents, #11)