Start by marking “Surrender None (Legacy of Gird, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surrender None (Legacy of Gird, #1)

Surrender None (Paksenarrion #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,603 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Paksenarrion could never have fulfilled her destiny had it not been for one who came before. Gird, the peasant, the armsman, the Liberator who taught his people that they could fight - and win - against oppression. This is his story, the first of two prequels to the "Deed of Paksenarrion" trilogy.
Published November 2nd 2000 by Orbit (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender None

Jim
Mar 19, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Not really quite 4 stars, but close. I was surprised. I've only read her SF series, Vatta's War, before & thought she was pretty good, but not a great writer. This fantasy had a lot more depth, though. It was very well done & not your typical sword & sorcery or epic fantasy. It concentrated on areas that most fantasies gloss over; the common people & many of the everyday issues they face. I really liked how she managed to bring all these issues into sharp focus without bogging do ...more
James
Apr 06, 2008 James rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
OK, so there are a few cover blurbs that have always irritated the bejeesus out of me. The damn David Eddings thing is one ("philisophical and technical problems with the genre" my fanny), and the "assimilating Tolkien" atrocity that gets attached to this novel is another. Look: it's *clearly* working through D&D, not Tolkien direct. The fucking gnomes and dark elves should have been the clue there, guys. Anyway, the Paks trilogy is really powerful epic fantasy, probably her best work. Meant ...more
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing
A great story, in a truly enjoyable "universe"..
Jeremy Preacher
May 06, 2015 Jeremy Preacher rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Surrender None is a peculiar and, I think, not entirely successful book. It purports to be the life of Gird, the saint that is the religious focus of most of the people in the earlier Paks trilogy. But it tries to walk the line between being a close look at a historical figure and a hagiography of a saint, falling very much more on the former side, and it never really finds its stride.

The description of Gird's unpleasant early life as a very poor farmer under a sadistic overlord is leisurely, bu
Catherine
May 08, 2017 Catherine rated it really liked it
A fantasy I literally couldn't put down!
Francesco
May 27, 2014 Francesco rated it liked it
Shelves: _eng, _reviewed, fantasy
Vote: 3,50
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(first of the two prequels of the Deed of Paksennarion Trilogy)

This book, where we learn how Grid became the hero we know, is certainly interesting and have a well built setting, which helps us to understand more of the world behind the Deed of Paksennarion.
However it is not even close to be the great fantasy novel the original Trilogy was.

The world (3,50) is perhaps the best thing in this book: we came to know much more of its history and people and it's a convincing
Vickey Foggin
Jul 25, 2014 Vickey Foggin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In this prequel to the Deed of Paksenarrion we follow her saintly patron Gird's life as the leader of a peasant rebellion. The book is a bit of a hodgepodge. Some parts are engaging and some are so boring you want to die. Like the Pakesenarrion novels, this is hyper detailed which is fun if you are interested in the subject being detailed. The sections on battlefield tactics were a little draggy for me, but that's because I am not interested in that subject. I am sure other people found the sect ...more
Jennavier
Jan 20, 2014 Jennavier rated it really liked it
I really liked what Moon did here. I've been a long time fan of the Paks series and planning on reading the prequels since forever. Surrender None is really cool because Moon creates a world and society that I could easily see becoming the one that Paks lives in later. I also loved Gird as a character. He was interesting and flawed and yet totally believable as a man who could later become semi-Devine to the people he followed. In some places it was a little slow since it didn't follow the norma ...more
Andreea Pausan
Dec 30, 2014 Andreea Pausan rated it really liked it
That was an unexpectedly long good book. It's a come of age story, a peasant who becomes head of a rising and general by applying common sense, stubbornness and lessons learned in life to his circumstances. Surrender none has a double meaning: not only not TO surrender, no matter how adverse the circumstances, but not surrender justice and truth and beauty, the things that really worth striving for and keeping. It's a lesson for leadership, about rules and law and learning. One of the things I n ...more
Raynor Moore
Apr 14, 2014 Raynor Moore rated it it was ok
I loved the Deeds of Paks series and I adored the Vatta series but somehow I was just bored with the Legacy of Gird.

I thought long and hard about it and ultimately I think it was just because I didn't like Gird enough. The writing was engaging enough to finish out the book but Gird himself did not inspire in the same way Paks did. I mean if we're talking about deeds enough to warrant raising from mortality to immortality, I feel that Pak's story was far more impacting.

Ultimately, both Gird and h
Innailana
Jan 22, 2012 Innailana rated it liked it
My problems with this book come mostly from the pacing and the level of detail. Sometimes it is incredibly detailed, going into a description of everyday life that is quite interesting. At other times (and for large sections of the book) several years pass very quickly with a LOT of changes but very few details. It felt a lot more like pieces of several books stitched together by large parts of exposition and not very much like a single book. But the story was interesting, and I liked that the c ...more
Derek
Feb 21, 2011 Derek rated it liked it
Ms. Moon's writing style had evolved and matured across the first trilogy, and of course continued in this one, but I think I just like Paks better than Gird.

It was interesting to see how she described and detailed the rebellion, but it (of course) is just too massive to really have everything in it...so she picked and chose highlights, and it works, but at the same time, the book as a whole felt less satisfying to me. I did like that she portrayed Gird as a man with flaws like any other.
Chris
Feb 03, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: sffantasy
High fantasy revolution = awesomesauce, but the final section is weird. Why are we suddenly in someone else's POV? And who is this lady with the name that sounds like a 14-year-old's LJ handle? And did several years just pass in the space between paragraphs? It should probably have been expanded into another book, and hells yeah I would read a book about a high fantasy constitutional convention. So that's what knocks it down from the five stars the characters and the logistics and tactics and et ...more
Joseph Gudge
Nov 28, 2012 Joseph Gudge rated it liked it
Book was actually boring but gave some good background on who Gird was. It leads up to the next book which is WAY better, in which we find that the history behind Gird's helper is not as it really seems to Paksennarian and the people of her time. This is part of a prequel duology for the Deeds of Paksennarian series.
Imuya McDaniel
Feb 14, 2013 Imuya McDaniel rated it really liked it
Delving into the religion of her most popular series by showing the commonness/uncommonness of the man who began it all was brave, in my opinion. Especially since you know that the ending will not necessarily be a pleasant one. Altogether, it was an enjoyable slow read, filled with frustration and heroes and mortal and imperfect men/women.
Kate
Jan 17, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, 2012
A wonderfully engaging book about the struggle of a poor man who rises above his peasant upbringing to change an oppressive society. I actually think that this is one of Moon's best fantasy novels. Considering its relatively short length, it packs in a well rounded character and a lot of plot without over-egged detail. A very satisfying read all round.
Mf
Mar 06, 2012 Mf rated it really liked it
After reading all about Gird in the Paksenarrion series, it was really fun to go back and read his story directly. Even knowing how it turns out (he becomes one of the deities), I was engaged and surprised all the way to the end. Well worth the read.
Ratiocination
Jun 16, 2011 Ratiocination rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fine overall, though it suffers a bit from a common prequel weakness: there are certain boxes that have to be checked when filling in a story that's already been told in rough outline in the earlier books.
Shanna
Dec 12, 2008 Shanna rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the "Deed of Paksennarion", but an interesting and often enthralling story about Gird and how his legend started. Gird is an extremely likable and real character and I felt a connection to him.
Jess
Apr 24, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was interesting to go back and find out who and Gird was and where his dedication to Fairness cam from. I really enjoyed Gird but found the supporting cast a bit boring. The ending was both sad and kind of expected.

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 09, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I loved The Deed of Paksenarrion. Saddly this book isn't nearly so good. It's interesting to me to follow Gird in his development but only because of the relatonship to Paks. I'd say read it for background, but it's not the book that Paksenarrion is.
Dec 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed with this book. I had already read the Deed of Paksenarion and was expecting something more like that. This book moved a bit slower and overall wasn't quiet as good. Still a great read though.
Lise Sofie
Mar 01, 2013 Lise Sofie rated it really liked it
It was a pleasure getting to know Gird after I've read the Deed of Paksenarrion. The writing was just as breathtaking and I had real trouble putting the book down when I was supposed to go to sleep or do other things I had to do.
Aaron Anderson
Feb 11, 2013 Aaron Anderson rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5-fantasy
I read these many many years ago, and I recall truly not liking them (after having read the original trilogy about Paksenarrion). I will probably give them one more shot, since I read them so long ago, and maybe I'll appreciate them more now.
George Miles
May 15, 2015 George Miles rated it really liked it
Good prequel to the stories of Paksenarrion., telling the story of Gird, the farmer turned warrior. Solid story, but not as good as the later stories.
Leah
Mar 18, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this book much better the 2nd time around. It works better as the supporting lore for Paksworld than all by itself as a story.
Elizabeth Paradise
Aug 10, 2014 Elizabeth Paradise rated it liked it
I did not really enjoy the story at all but it was good to get the history.
Tim Gray
Apr 17, 2016 Tim Gray rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this, a good prequel to the other books, it's a well crafted world, with solid characters. On to book 5 next!
Mike Franklin
Jan 18, 2013 Mike Franklin marked it as owned-rejected
Shelves: fantasy
I read little fantasy these days and just don't find myself motivated to pick these prequel books up.
Randy Rodriguez
Jan 13, 2009 Randy Rodriguez rated it liked it
A must-read, if you like the Paksenarrion trilogy.
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped, #1)
  • Dragonsword (Dragonsword, #1)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • Trek to Kraggen-Cor (The Silver Call, #1)
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Bio Rescue (Bio Rescue, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Sword and Sorceress III
  • Spiritride (SERRAted Edge #7)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...

Paksenarrion (10 books)
  • Liar's Oath (Legacy of Gird, #2)
  • Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • Oath of Fealty (Paladin's Legacy, #1)
  • Kings of the North (Paladin's Legacy, #2)
  • Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3)
  • Limits of Power (Paladin's Legacy, #4)
  • Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy, #5)