Start by marking “Surrender None (Legacy of Gird, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surrender None (Legacy of Gird, #1)

Surrender None (Legacy of Gird #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,204 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Paksenarrion could never have fulfilled her destiny had it not been for one who came before. Gird, the peasant, the armsman, the Liberator who taught his people that they could fight - and win - against oppression. This is his story, the first of two prequels to the "Deed of Paksenarrion" trilogy.
Paperback
Published November 2nd 2000 by Orbit (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender None

Jim
Not really quite 4 stars, but close. I was surprised. I've only read her SF series, Vatta's War, before & thought she was pretty good, but not a great writer. This fantasy had a lot more depth, though. It was very well done & not your typical sword & sorcery or epic fantasy. It concentrated on areas that most fantasies gloss over; the common people & many of the everyday issues they face. I really liked how she managed to bring all these issues into sharp focus without bogging do ...more
James
OK, so there are a few cover blurbs that have always irritated the bejeesus out of me. The damn David Eddings thing is one ("philisophical and technical problems with the genre" my fanny), and the "assimilating Tolkien" atrocity that gets attached to this novel is another. Look: it's *clearly* working through D&D, not Tolkien direct. The fucking gnomes and dark elves should have been the clue there, guys. Anyway, the Paks trilogy is really powerful epic fantasy, probably her best work. Meant ...more
Vickey Foggin
In this prequel to the Deed of Paksenarrion we follow her saintly patron Gird's life as the leader of a peasant rebellion. The book is a bit of a hodgepodge. Some parts are engaging and some are so boring you want to die. Like the Pakesenarrion novels, this is hyper detailed which is fun if you are interested in the subject being detailed. The sections on battlefield tactics were a little draggy for me, but that's because I am not interested in that subject. I am sure other people found the sect ...more
Raynor Moore
I loved the Deeds of Paks series and I adored the Vatta series but somehow I was just bored with the Legacy of Gird.

I thought long and hard about it and ultimately I think it was just because I didn't like Gird enough. The writing was engaging enough to finish out the book but Gird himself did not inspire in the same way Paks did. I mean if we're talking about deeds enough to warrant raising from mortality to immortality, I feel that Pak's story was far more impacting.

Ultimately, both Gird and h
Jennavier
I really liked what Moon did here. I've been a long time fan of the Paks series and planning on reading the prequels since forever. Surrender None is really cool because Moon creates a world and society that I could easily see becoming the one that Paks lives in later. I also loved Gird as a character. He was interesting and flawed and yet totally believable as a man who could later become semi-Devine to the people he followed. In some places it was a little slow since it didn't follow the norma ...more
Francesco
Vote: 3,50
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(first of the two prequels of the Deed of Paksennarion Trilogy)

This book, where we learn how Grid became the hero we know, is certainly interesting and have a well built setting, which helps us to understand more of the world behind the Deed of Paksennarion.
However it is not even close to be the great fantasy novel the original Trilogy was.

The world (3,50) is perhaps the best thing in this book: we came to know much more of its history and people and it's a convincing
Chris
High fantasy revolution = awesomesauce, but the final section is weird. Why are we suddenly in someone else's POV? And who is this lady with the name that sounds like a 14-year-old's LJ handle? And did several years just pass in the space between paragraphs? It should probably have been expanded into another book, and hells yeah I would read a book about a high fantasy constitutional convention. So that's what knocks it down from the five stars the characters and the logistics and tactics and et ...more
Elizabeth Paradise
I did not really enjoy the story at all but it was good to get the history.
Innailana
My problems with this book come mostly from the pacing and the level of detail. Sometimes it is incredibly detailed, going into a description of everyday life that is quite interesting. At other times (and for large sections of the book) several years pass very quickly with a LOT of changes but very few details. It felt a lot more like pieces of several books stitched together by large parts of exposition and not very much like a single book. But the story was interesting, and I liked that the c ...more
Derek
Ms. Moon's writing style had evolved and matured across the first trilogy, and of course continued in this one, but I think I just like Paks better than Gird.

It was interesting to see how she described and detailed the rebellion, but it (of course) is just too massive to really have everything in it...so she picked and chose highlights, and it works, but at the same time, the book as a whole felt less satisfying to me. I did like that she portrayed Gird as a man with flaws like any other.
Kate
A wonderfully engaging book about the struggle of a poor man who rises above his peasant upbringing to change an oppressive society. I actually think that this is one of Moon's best fantasy novels. Considering its relatively short length, it packs in a well rounded character and a lot of plot without over-egged detail. A very satisfying read all round.
Imuya McDaniel
Delving into the religion of her most popular series by showing the commonness/uncommonness of the man who began it all was brave, in my opinion. Especially since you know that the ending will not necessarily be a pleasant one. Altogether, it was an enjoyable slow read, filled with frustration and heroes and mortal and imperfect men/women.
Joseph Gudge
Book was actually boring but gave some good background on who Gird was. It leads up to the next book which is WAY better, in which we find that the history behind Gird's helper is not as it really seems to Paksennarian and the people of her time. This is part of a prequel duology for the Deeds of Paksennarian series.
Mike (the Paladin)
I loved The Deed of Paksenarrion. Saddly this book isn't nearly so good. It's interesting to me to follow Gird in his development but only because of the relatonship to Paks. I'd say read it for background, but it's not the book that Paksenarrion is.
Mf
After reading all about Gird in the Paksenarrion series, it was really fun to go back and read his story directly. Even knowing how it turns out (he becomes one of the deities), I was engaged and surprised all the way to the end. Well worth the read.
Aaron Anderson
I read these many many years ago, and I recall truly not liking them (after having read the original trilogy about Paksenarrion). I will probably give them one more shot, since I read them so long ago, and maybe I'll appreciate them more now.
Lise Sofie
It was a pleasure getting to know Gird after I've read the Deed of Paksenarrion. The writing was just as breathtaking and I had real trouble putting the book down when I was supposed to go to sleep or do other things I had to do.
I was a little disappointed with this book. I had already read the Deed of Paksenarion and was expecting something more like that. This book moved a bit slower and overall wasn't quiet as good. Still a great read though.
Shanna
Not quite as good as the "Deed of Paksennarion", but an interesting and often enthralling story about Gird and how his legend started. Gird is an extremely likable and real character and I felt a connection to him.
Ratiocination
Fine overall, though it suffers a bit from a common prequel weakness: there are certain boxes that have to be checked when filling in a story that's already been told in rough outline in the earlier books.
Christy
Finished this and it is another great book in this series.
Victor Pettengill
Well written history of St. Gird and how he came to be who the people know him to be.
Amber
Excellent read. Politics and theology highly applicable to our world.
Hazel
I actually don't remember this much. I should read it again.
grouchybastid
A must-read, if you like the Paksenarrion trilogy.
Cℓinton Sheppard
Almost as good as Paksennarion
Anamaria021
Anamaria021 marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Rebekah Owens
Rebekah Owens marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • Jinian Footseer (Jinian, #1)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Dragonsword (Dragonsword, #1)
  • Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
  • Trek to Kraggen-Cor (The Silver Call, #1)
  • Castle of Deception (Bard's Tale, #1)
  • Sword and Sorceress III
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...
The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1) The Speed of Dark Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)