Start by marking “The Shadow Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #4)

The Shadow Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  14 reviews
L.E. Modesitt, Jr. has developed a wide readership with his popular fantasy novels set in the universe of Recluce. With more than a million copies in print, he continues to build a substantial audience with each new volume. He widened that audience with the first three-volume Spellsong Cycle set in a compelling and imaginative world where music is the vehicle for the creat ...more
Published May 19th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Sorceress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Sorceress

Rob
Modesitt's mark on my reading world has always been the attention to detail, the repetition that makes these characters real. "The Shadow Sorceress" doesn't have a lot of that. This time around, we see how Anna has changed her world for the better, entrenching women into greater power in Defalk (and the rest of Liedwahr), the growth of sorcery in the world centered on respecting the Harmonies, and how little Secca grew to be a powerful woman in her own right.

We also see Anna die, and the fallout
Kurtbg
I found this a flat offering to follow up where the third book ended. I quickly tied up what had been built in the first three books and than shifted in another direction that was more of the same, but less.

The main character, Secca, is certainly a tragic figure bearing the weight of inherited responsibility and sacrificing self, but I felt she wasn't treated in a way to make herself completely different from her mentor, Anna.

I had always wondered if the author would bring in Anna's husband - pe
Darcy Stewart
The Shadow Sorceress is somewhat interesting. I really like the characters Secca and Anna, because they are so independent. The Spellsong Cycle is a lot better than the Corean Chronicles. Some of the other characters I don't care so much about.

It's too bad Anna dies in the beginning. She really could have helped Secca keep province in chaos. It's interesting that when Anna lived in her own world, she didn't have any magic, but she does in this one. At first I thought Anna came by herself, and no
Angela~twistedmind~
The Shadow Sorceress skips ahead several years & Secca is now a grown woman and a sorceress in her own right. Anna has retired as Defalk's acting Regent and retired to Loiseau and Jimbob (now Robero) has taken his place as king of Defalk. Anna has begun training other young girls as sorceresses & all seems well. But suddenly Defalk & all it's neighboring lands are in dire straits & are about to be overtaken by the Sturinnese who would see all women in chains. Secce & Rechina, ...more
DaveA
Very good read. The original sorceress, Anna, was too strong. None of her fights in the third book were exciting, because they were over in seconds as she obliterated her opponents. This book is 20 years later. Almost all of the adults from the first three books have died, and the children are now adults and the main characters. The sorceresses that take over after Anna died are no where near as strong, and thus this story is a little more exciting because there is some tension and suspense. I t ...more
Gabriel De
After Anna Marshal's unexpected death after many years defending Defaulk, her successor, Secca, is placed in a position of power before her training is complete. Unrest abounds in Defalk, the possibility of war increases, and new threats from Sea Priests with their new drumming magic makes this a very interest book.
Mackenzie
The only reason this book did not get only one star was the ending. The rest of the novel too closely follows the descriptive and narrative paradigms of the first three installments to make this new adventure any kind of new. Even the "new" protagonist is a carbon copy of the old. The introduction of something mildly interesting made me feel it was not a total loss, but I would not suggest this to anyone and I dread opening the final book.
Kitfalbo
Jun 08, 2010 Kitfalbo rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Junkies
Continues a characters journey through a world created in a basic fantasy sense. The author is discovering/playing with the rules more than the people living in it, creating a disjointed though not terrible mess. I like fantasy, and will finish the book but it is painfully obvious the potential of the world is disjointed from the society.
Jay Hendricks
Oct 27, 2007 Jay Hendricks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy
Fourth in the series. This one sets up the demise of Anna from the previous three and the rise in power of her pupil, Secca. The magic gets larger, more into the shadows (secretive and not so blatant) as well as the conflict growing larger and larger in this book. A most excellent read.
Nibrock
Love this series. The idea that song/music is such a powerful magic. Amazing.
Martha
Not as good as the earlier ones in the series, but still good!
Sophie
Enjoyed it, but not the best by this author.
Brianna Grantham
Entertaining, but repetitive.
Autumn
A new generation of spellsong sorceresses emerge as we say goodbye to a favorite character. I cried a little.
Darnoc
Darnoc marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Leo Ebong
Leo Ebong marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Jason Rogoff
Jason Rogoff marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Eagle-Sage (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #3)
  • The Hickory Staff
  • The Storm of Heaven (Oath of Empire #3)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • A Pliocene Companion
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom
  • The Way Beneath (The Book of The Kingdoms, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Spellsong Cycle (5 books)
  • The Soprano Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #1)
  • The Spellsong War (Spellsong Cycle #2)
  • Darksong Rising (Spellsong Cycle #3)
  • Shadowsinger (Spellsong Cycle #5)
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)