Start by marking “Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune, #2)

Mentats of Dune (Dune Universe #5)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,456 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
In Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Mentats of Dune, the thinking machines have been defeated but the struggle for humanity's future continues.

Gilbertus Albans has founded the Mentat School, a place where humans can learn the efficient techniques of thinking machines. But Gilbertus walks an uneasy line between his own convictions and compromises in order to survive th
Published March 11th 2014 by Tor Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mentats of Dune, please sign up.

Ampoliros It isn't just fan service, its fan-boy service, to use an unfortunate pejorative.

Worse, none of it cares about the actual lore, its all about…more

Worse, none of it cares about the actual lore, its all about shoehorning their creations, specifically the robot, into everything.

(less)

Cathy
This was a really bad book. I was very surprised. I've always enjoyed Herbert and Anderson's prequels to the original Dune books. It's varied some by series, but they've all been at least OK, some have been really enjoyable. I gave Sisterhood of Dune four stars. How did this series go from "pretty darn good" to "what the heck" so quickly?

It started off fine. I'm always stuck by the power of these archetypes, if that's the right word. I felt a bit of awe as Valya described becoming a Reverend Mo
Clint
Mar 05, 2014 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune, part two of the Schools of Dune series, was a hell of a lot of fun to read.

It continues the epic story of mankind's struggle (now several decades free of the thinking machines oppression), in choosing an ideological path forward for all in the empire. On one side is Joseph Venport, and other like minded individuals, who embrace technology and all the benefits derived from it, without fear. On the other side is the Half Manford, and all of his fanatical Butlerian followers, who p
Aletia
Jul 14, 2013 Aletia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting for this book for YEARS! SO excited about the Schools of Dune series/collection!!!
Ampoliros
Apr 02, 2014 Ampoliros rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ludicrous Twilight of Dune

Reading this book is like going on a commando raid at night, cutting your way through a forest with flamethrowers and light-enhancing goggles. And then, when you get to your destination, using the voice to force the people who came with you to do what they willingly came with you to do.

Perhaps I should have put a SPOILER in front of that. I'll just put it here. Spoiler's ahead.

In my review for Sisterhood of Dune I gave them the 'praise' that it was the best Dune book th
Ralph Halse
Apr 10, 2014 Ralph Halse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago, when I first read Dune, I was seriously impressed and subsequently purchased each novel in the series. Kevin Anderson has continued to honour the theme with this latest offering. It is well-written and contains a fast moving plot full of intrigue, high-quality dialogue and scenes of many dystopian worlds. Readers will be very pleased with this engrossing page turner.
Tulara
Mar 19, 2014 Tulara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so wonderful being back in the pre-Dune series. Loved the intrigue and power struggle for spice. Really shed some light on the internal workings of the political battles. I finished it too soon!!!
Ron Kolb
Mar 20, 2014 Ron Kolb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The universe of Dune continues to expand. Bliss.
Mark
Apr 02, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the expanded Dune series
Recommended to Mark by: Frank Herberts Dune books
I would begin with the downside of this novel, it will take two more years for the next installment of Schools of Dune. When you come at the end of this book and that realism hits you ut will call on a feeling of frustration.

The Expanded Dune series is not all haleluja and praise LetoII, this particular series is easily their better work of monsieurs Herbert & Anderson, even better so far than the "House of.." series. The other seven novels are more hit and sadly more miss in my humble opini
Brett Boerner
Mar 18, 2014 Brett Boerner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, giveaways
I won a copy of the book via a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway.

I've read all the Dune books up to this point, so I feel like I have a pretty good feeling for the tone and setting of the stories set far into our own future. This book fits nicely into that future universe in my mind.

One of the neat things about the "Schools of Dune" sub-series is that we're getting a chance to learn about the formation of the various factions that populate the original series, and some of the prequels. The Bene Gess
S. W.
Mar 17, 2014 S. W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When this book arrived on my kindle I didn't remember pre-ordering it. I'm so glad that past me had the prescience to foresee my absolute enjoyment of this book. I'm sure the Kwisatz Haderach would approve of my pre-order and the prescience that it required, but alas there is no mention of the human savior god in this book, just a mere hint when Reverend Mother Raquella Berto-Anirul mentions her sisterhoods great plans.

To be honest, the title of the book is misleading. It should be something mo
Krbo
Mar 13, 2015 Krbo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know why first book is named "Sisters" and this one "Mentats" - they're just two parts of the same book.

And that one book talk about everything in a Dune space, Gesserit, Space Guild, Royal family, Ix, Tleilax, Fremens...

Everything other "one star" reviwers said is true but I'm hardcore fan and just using ideas and scenery presentes to fire up my own imagination and nice memories from Frank's work so I'll give these works a 2.6 stars (it look like 3 :) )

And will also read third on
Ryan White
Apr 06, 2014 Ryan White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by this book. The plot twists surprised me and left me wanting to read right into the next one.
Daniel
Jun 26, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune continues the post-Jihad, pre-Frank Herbert story started in previous books. In this one, despite what the title implies, it is equally about the Mentats, the Sisterhood, VenHold, the Emperor, and, oddly enough, research scientists at a VenHold black site. All of these groups of people are intertwined and act with their own agendas, often in conflict with others. There are some secondary stories, but they take place within the context of the previously mentioned main lines.

The B
Patrick Hayes
Mar 22, 2014 Patrick Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. I've been sporadic with my reading of these prequels but when I read one I want an epic scale political saga and I am always delivered it by Herbert and Anderson.

I had not read the Sisterhood of Dune, the book before this, but easily fell into the situations all the characters were in and had a blast.

This is not an action filled book, though there is some physical action, but instead this is on the political machinations of a group of individuals who feel that th
Rod Bell
Mar 23, 2014 Rod Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mentats of Dune is the second book in the Schools of Dune Trilogy following on from the events of Sisterhood of Dune (Book 1). For those versed in both Frank Herbert's Duniverse you will be more than aware of the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, Suk Doctors & Navigators; those not versed in the aforementioned - you’re missing so, so much.

I’ve read a number of Brian & Kevin's Dune books and in the past I haven’t been overly impressed. I’ve found a number of their books suffer with parts of stories
Robert
Mar 21, 2014 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sifi
You know, Dune is a place that you either like to go to or you don't. Having been entranced by the world of Dune in the original novel of that name (and to a greater and lesser extent for the rest of the original series), I can't help but go back to that world in its various manifestations as negotiated by the two authors.
It seems to me that the last several "Dune" novels that Herbert and Anderson: Winds; Sisterhood and Paul (of Dune) are better than some of the entries that preceded them. I fe
Steven  Wetter
Jun 19, 2016 Steven Wetter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mentats have always been the most intriguing of the advancements in human evolution portrayed within the Dune series. They always seemed like the most logical next step for human king in the advancement of our minds. An interesting and unsuspected start to the Mentat school. Keeping with the Dune Saga tradition, there are stories within the main story and underlying insinuations everywhere. I really enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who truly enjoys and understands the Dune Chronicles.
Ethan I. Solomon
I always have a difficult time rating the Dune books of Kevin James Anderson and Brian Herbert. I am a big fan of Frank Herbert's original Dune novels, all six of them except perhaps for Children of Dune. Frank Herbert's books were visionary masterpieces that only become more relevant as time marches on.

This is where my problem with the KJA/BH Dune books. While they are Dune books, they differ greatly from FH's vision. They are, at best, pop sci-fi novels; filled with space battles and the destr
Clay Rylee
Mar 14, 2014 Clay Rylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frist of all, I recieved an ARC of this book in a giveaway thru Goodreads. This in no way affects my review. Mentats of Dune, the second book in the Schools of Dune series was, for me, quite an enjoyable read. The pacing was good and the action was great as well as the portrayal of the conflics between the factions involved. I only had one complaint with this book and that is the fact that you get recaps of what happened in the previous book as well as in the Legends of Dune series. In the first ...more
Campo
Apr 27, 2016 Campo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book as it wasn't so slow as the first. Having all players already in place made it a better read.

Thing is I got annoyed by the authors need to use a couple of paragraphs as a fast summary whenever detailing a Character. Made me feel I could skip all those lines and jump directly into the new details. I don't think anybody would be reading this book without reading the other one of the series first.

This book was fun and with fast turned action. Without spoiling it leaves to many playe
Mia Kleve
Mar 31, 2014 Mia Kleve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default, kindle
Anderson and Herbert once again plunge you into the vibrant Dune Universe.

In Mentats you start to see why the Atreides/Harkonnen feud becomes so entrenched that they will soon reach the point where no amount of restitution, from either House, will heal their wounds.

The Mentats, the Bene Geserits, and the Navigators are close to the final form that is so familiar to all who have read the Frank Herbert Dune books.

The question now is, can these three schools take on and defeat the Butlerian movemen
Two Nerds Talking
Apr 13, 2014 Two Nerds Talking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment from the Herbert-Anderson team.

I've loved each new installment to the Dune universe and Mentats of Dune is no exception. It continues the story began in Sisterhood of Dune, chronicling the early years of the Bene Gesserit sisterhood, the Mentat and Suk schools as well as the formation of the Spacing Guild.

A great read!
Benoit
Apr 10, 2016 Benoit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hold of reading Mentats of Dune for quite some time, trying to go through quite a list of books to read. I was then pretty excited to come back to the world of Dune and discover the genesis of the Mentats, Bene Gesserit and the Spicing Guild. This book, however, comes short in logics and character motivation.

First, the good. I enjoyed following the familiar characters and how they interacted to come and form the organisations that will be familiar in the original serie. The pace is good and th
Arminzerella
Frank Hays
Dune addicts are having a rough time of it these days. If the original series was dealer's stash cocaine, we are pretty much at the level of snorting bath salts at this point. Frank Herbert's son and some other dude who nobody would care about if he did not write Dune novels w/ Frank Herbert's son have been churning out some serious no-killer filler for some time now and this is just more of that.

I would say this is more or less exactly the same book as the last book in the series which I believ
Bob Pitman
Jul 31, 2015 Bob Pitman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dune universe fans
part 2 of the schools of dune sub-prequals, further to Sisterhood of dune it carries the stories started in that book further.
The conflict arising from the war between Omnius and Humanity continues to rip human society apart, the anti-technology Butlerians and the tech reliant Venport Holdings running the space lanes. Its interesting to see how these opposing juggernauts clash with the Imperium and Schools caught in the middle... but its a little bit plodding (as many of Andersons efforts are).
Steve
Power. Betrayal. Revenge. All these things rise in the wake of the jihad that saw the demise of the thinking machines and the slow ascension of the Bene Gesserit, Mentat and Suk Schools (events detailed in SISTERHOOD OF DUNE). Now, in the aftermath of the Butlerian Jihad, anti-technologists seek to establish their own new path for mankind in the pages of MENTATS OF DUNE.

Gilbertus Albans has established the Mentat School, a place where these special humans can explore and examine the thinking mac
Dan
Feb 25, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Sisterhood of Dune. It is interesting to see the great schools evolve further towards their ultimate destinations.

The conflicts are starting to feel a little contrived, and the behaviour of some of the characters is becoming quite absurd. Extreme behaviours are what makes fiction interesting, but at some point you have to say "Really?" Take what is going on on Denali for example. Could any sane person really think that is a good idea? Josef Venport seems
Aslan Petty
Feb 01, 2015 Aslan Petty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIRST OFF... In the most humble nature I can muster up out of ones self, we must give praise to fellow readers that agreed with the first person ( that I noticed anyway) posting a TWO STAR review on M.O.D. ; For they surely have found the best free- base to smoke, or the combination of smoking crack and NOT READING the book with the eyeLIDS open during said experience, to equate such a review! I am in awe at the design of the build up taking place before us as Ptolemy is at the end of his beginn ...more
Nathan Setzer
I have read every Dune book that has been put out to-date. This is one of my favorite books series. Frank's vision and writing skills are in a world by themself. Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Hebert are just, different. I actually enjoy their writings (I have read about 20 books by Anderson and three by Brian)

In Mentats the pace of the book is a bit slower than the previous prequels. The book is held back by the constant rehashing of the backstory. Like it is being told to a small child and you
continuity errors involing "other memory" 2 18 Mar 19, 2014 02:39PM
  • The Road to Dune (Dune Universe)
  • Matcher Rules
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • Right of Passage (Police State of Anarchy #1)
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Centenary Separation (Watchbearers, #2)
  • The Battles of Dune
  • To Protect (I, Robot [Reichert], #1)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • To Die in Italbar
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • V-Wars
  • The Last Day
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • The Dark Between the Stars
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)

Dune Universe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hunting Harkonnens (Legends of Dune, #0.5)
  • The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1)
  • Whipping Mek (Legends of Dune, #1.5)
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • The Faces of a Martyr (Legends of Dune, #2.5)
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
  • Sisterhood of Dune (Schools of Dune, #1)
  • Navigators of Dune (Schools of Dune, #3)
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune, #1)
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune, #2)

“Just repeating a statement often and with great vehemence does not make it a fact, and no amount of repetition can make a rational person believe it.” 9 likes
“As a human being, I was born on the brink of personal destruction, and I have spent my life dancing along the edge of that cliff.” 3 likes