Start by marking “The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe” as Want to Read:
The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe

The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe (The Life #1)

Having an undead girl in one's room is cool. Having a crying undead girl in one's room... not so cool. It especially stinks when the girl is town legend, Lizzie Monroe, who killed herself in 1862 when she got news that her fiancé died in the war.

Only, Lizzie didn't die... not in the conventional way at least. Oh, she thought she had. She spent the last century thinking sh
Nook
Published January 2014

Angela
Jan 15, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe is an emotional rollercoaster. I would normally NEVER read a book that has a zombie in it, they just creep me out, knowing that Kelly Martin writes some pretty amazing books I took the chance and read it.
I found myself laughing and then a few pages over feeling heartbroken for Lizzie. This book is certainly NOT a comedy but it has some incredible moments. The thoughts that go through Lizzie’s head, some of the things that she says (she lived and died during the ti
Danielle
Jan 17, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc
***ARC given for honest review***

Oh Kelly, Kelly, Kelly. You had me a bit skeptical with this one. An dead girl who isn't actually dead after 150 years?! I've read my share of paranormal stories...some good and some not so good. You got me with this one though.

How the symmetry of events in this book went from one instance the next was perfect. And the last half of the book literally had me parked on the couch with my heating blanket unable to move until I finished. And let's not even get into th
Jennifer Lark
Feb 17, 2014 Jennifer Lark rated it really liked it
All she wanted to do was die...

description

but sometimes death doesn't turn out the way we plan.

description

Elizabeth Monroe was supposed to be dead. She had lived through the Civil War on the outskirts of a small town in a politically divided Tennessee. When she had received word that her fiance had been killed in battle, she escaped to the barn where she took her own life. Her mother buried her in the wedding dress she would never wear while alive.

In the year 2014, Shane Davis is the drummer in a local band named Lov
Pauline Creeden
Jan 17, 2014 Pauline Creeden rated it it was amazing
A little bit dark, a little bit edgy, and a little bit Inspirational. When Rock-star wannabe Shane Davis meets Blast from the past Lizzie Monroe, sparks fly. In all kinds of ways. This fun read mixes contemporary moments with historical, civil war history and does so seamlessly. Emotions run high in this quick, relaxed read, and the author has a talent for sucking you into her world with an excellent use of metaphor and description. Highly recommended!
Amber Stokes
Jan 20, 2014 Amber Stokes rated it liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
This book was one of my most anticipated reads of 2014 - that cover and blurb won me over, and I figured it would be a fun story. It is! The premise is very intriguing and clever. There's some Civil War history lightly woven in, and while I sometimes got frustrated with the flashback scenes because I wanted to get back to the contemporary plot line, they added to the sense of mystery and made the contemporary scenes all the more compelling.

Even though a lot of the book takes place in one settin
Enika
Jan 20, 2014 Enika rated it it was amazing
The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe has drama, humor, romance, and a touch of fantasy. Lizzie Monroe killed herself two centuries ago, so she is dead but not really dead, just like she doesn't have a heartbeat yet she has a heart of gold. Shane Davis may have a heartbeat but he seems to not have a heart, at least he wants everyone to believe that he doesn't. These two unlikely people are thrown together and it is both sad and fun to watch them bond and grow together. At first Shane thinks Lizzie is ...more
Gina
Jan 18, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who believes in fate
It's been quite awhile that I have picked up a book that I didn't want to put down! Once again you have outdone yourself Kelly!

The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe is about 2 teenagers from 2 different Centuries with two different sets of beliefs. Set in a small local Tennessee Town, Lizzie is an innocent girl, and a local legend, who is a devout believer from the 1800's and Shane Davis is a child of the current century who has had,what some would call a rough life, and doesn't believe in anyone or a
Louisa
Mar 01, 2014 Louisa rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd Kelly Martin book I have read and she didn't disappoint - another book I couldn't put down.

A great mixture of fantasy, romance and zombie. When bad boy Shane burns down a run down church with fellow bandmate Preston little did he know he would come face to face with the local town legend Lizzie Monroe. Lizzie is famous for killing herself after learning her betrothed has been killed in the civil war. Her suicided did result in her going to heaven and begin with Daniel like she wa
Stacy
Mar 25, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Dark and ooky and quite a bit spooky, 'The Afterlife of Lizzie Monroe' is a story about a zombie with a heart. (rim shot)
While the other characters initially come across as shallow and lacking compassion, Lizzie is the true heart and soul of the story. Through her goodness and virtue, the other characters discover their humanity. Lizzie has more reason than most to hate God, yet she stays upbeat and honest in her devotion. Will her devotion rub off on the others?
I like that there was a slight C
Jenna
Apr 16, 2015 Jenna rated it it was ok
I bought this book on accident: instead of putting it on my wishlist I pressed the buy now with one click button.

Lizzie Monroe is famous she killed herself 150 years ago when she heard her fiance died in the war.
But only she didn't die she was stuck in her coffin for all those years.

Shane just want to put the church on fire, he hates that church. Now it’s burning and someone is screaming, that's so not in the planning.

Lizzie is saved and Shane hides her in his room, she can’t move her legs or a
Bailey Marissa Bowers
(3.2)

Ok, so this has the stereotypical bad boy who doesn't believe in God, and the sweet little naive/innocent girl Christian (Oh, yep. This is Christian book.). There's even the 'I want what she has' conversion prayer.

Also, (view spoiler)

I do appreciate the parts talking about how suicide is never the answer, but this plot doesn't really resolve her feelings.

Recommended for
Debbie
Feb 24, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Lizzie was looking to die when she killed herself after her fiance died in battle 150 years ago but she soon finds out that some just don't get their wish. In a sick twist of fate Lizzie ends up yelling for help when Shane and his friend Preston burn down the church she is supposed to be buried in.
Maybe when you kill yourself you end up living forever in your own private hell, at least this is what Lizzie thinks but it is up to Shane to solve the mystery around Lizzie and how she ended up not b
Lindsey Laroche
Feb 16, 2014 Lindsey Laroche rated it really liked it
Lizzie Monroe killed herself two centuries ago, so she is dead but not really dead, she just doesn't have a heartbeat. Shane is very much alive, with a heartbeat, but no heart, and no compassion. When there life's get thrown together unexpectedly what could possibly go wrong?

I was definitely skeptical at first and I thought some parts were drawn out a bit, but other then that I absolutely loved this book! And I loved the characters!

Kelly Martin did it again with another awesome book!
Wendy Knight
Oct 03, 2014 Wendy Knight rated it it was amazing
Such a unique twist on the zombie idea. This dealt with some dark issues, but handled in such a way that they were given the respect they deserve while also not bringing the whole story down.
Christine
Jan 28, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
Not much to note for this fantasy, story was cute and a bit comical at times. Overall, it was very predictable.
Francesca
Francesca rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2014
Beth Keys
Beth Keys rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Heather Reid
Heather Reid rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Gayle Hilsabeck
Gayle Hilsabeck rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2014
Caroline Aldrich
Caroline Aldrich rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Kathy Grisham
Kathy Grisham rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Touchpoint Press
Touchpoint Press rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Kathy Grisham
Kathy Grisham rated it it was amazing
Andie Schweizer
Andie Schweizer rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Dane Fuelling
Dane Fuelling rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 19, 2015 06:44AM
Kelly Martin is the bestselling author of contemporary, historical, and YA romance. She has been married for over ten years and has three rowdy, angelic daughters. When Kelly isn't writing, she loves watching horror gamers on YouTube, even though she is a huge wimp, and drinking white chocolate mochas.

You can find her at...
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KellyMartinA...
Twitter: https://twitter.
More about Kelly Martin...