Start by marking “Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)” as Want to Read:
Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)

Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  4,944 ratings  ·  42 reviews
L. E. Modesitt's bestselling fantasy novels set in the magical world of Recluce have established a standard of entertainment in contemporary fantasy. "In Modesitt's universe, where good and evil, chaos and order, are in perpetual conflict, a young wizard finds that his destiny is to strike a balance, but at considerable personal cost. Modesitt creates a deeper and more int ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Published July 15th 1997 by Tor Fantasy (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fall of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall of Angels

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales by Edgar Allan PoeEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonFalling Angels by Tracy Chevalier
Falling and Felling
161st out of 188 books — 41 voters
Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
370th out of 734 books — 377 voters

More lists with this book...

My relationship with Modesitt's "Recluce" series began several years ago with the first book, "The Magic of Recluce". It was a good read. Since then I have slogged my way through numerous sequels, prequels, spin-offs, or whatever else they might be called. None of them were read in order of publication or in order according to the stories' chronology, and I have no idea if this helped or hindered their readability. All of them seem to have a male engineer/mage/smith and a female warrior/mage/he ...more
Bryan Brown
This story is the first of (at least) another duo of books. This is set some 400 years after the first two (in chronological order). The first set told of a master of the white power of chaos. This story is about the black power of order. It is the story of the crew of a starship involved in some sort of interstellar war. The vast energies involved in fighting their white enemies in space have somehow translocated their starship to the orbit of an unknown but populated planet.

They discover they
Jeremy Preacher
Fall of Angels is the only explicitly sci-fi book in the series (although, granted, the magic system may as well be sci-fi throughout, as rigorous as it is) and it's definitely more interesting for it. It sets up the female-dominated societies portrayed in later books as well as the background behind Westwind, which is critical later (earlier?) on.

That said, I'm only mildly fond of it. The lasers and spaceships don't really take up enough of the story to differentiate it, and while it has lots o
Connie Jasperson

I had one of those weeks where I cracked open 4 indie books, and shut them after getting a third of the way into them. No plot? No problem--No way. So I was looking around my dusty shelves and came across my beloved Saga of Recluce collection and picked up "Fall of Angels." Written in 1997 by L.E. Modesitt Jr., this is one of the most enduring fantasy series of modern times. I think its longevity has to do with the way the saga takes place over many generations, and takes you into both sides of
If reading this book in publication order, this is the sixth book in the Recluse Saga. I've read these early books a few times, and in this re-read, I find that I like "Fall of Angels" the best. It fills in the back story of some of how the legendary (in Recluse) figures arrived on the world, and how their legends began. Nylan is the primary character - a man who finds this new world exerts new abilities and insights on him.

The world already has a patriarchal and feudal population, and they view
I like Modesitt and this series, and this is one of the books that I definitely appreciated. Although it starts in a sci-fi setting, a futuristic band of "angels" fighting "demons" in space, and something twisty happening with time where ultimately both parties land on the same planet, but in different eras. The side of bad/Chaos/White magic has had generations to develop and use their inherent powers to influence the people and land, while the good/Order/Black magic is in survival mode.

But the
Benjamin Thomas
If you're reading this 6th book of the Recluse Saga, you probably know what to expect from this series by now. For many, however, this is the first book read of the series because, chronologically, it is the first. (By the way, I have read that the author would prefer us to read them in the order they were published). Regardless, I found it to be quite a good story, quite capable of standing on its own. Modesitt has flirted with blending science and fantasy elements together with his magic engin ...more
Richard Tran
Pete Skimin
Prior to reading this book it had been a couple years since I had read the last book in the Saga of Recluce. After reading Fall of Angels though I think I will be reading the next one quite soon as this book reminded me of the many reasons I have enjoyed this author and series so far. Although this book is the sixth book in the series it is set earlier than the previous books. It is the origin of Westwind and those who rule it. The "Angels" of Westwind are actually the marooned crew of a militar ...more
If you've come this far it's obvious you like his style and aren't as concerned with pace as you are with character development and disappearing into another world completely removed from your own. That being said, I had a hard time getting into this one. Unlike the others in the series, this one had an element of sci-fi which I wasn't expecting, and frankly for me didn't work. This felt like a fantasy author trying something new and I feel he should stick with fantasy strictly. I had to force m ...more
Tantor is releasing all the books on Audio so I am "re-reading" these books as they are released. This is my second, third, fifth, who knows how many times to read these books. This series is absolutely one of my favorites and deserves a high spot on everyone's book shelf.

Fall of Angels and The Chaos Balance are a pairing within the series, they are books 6 and 7 in release chronological order and books 3 and 4 in date chronological order.

This book details the arrival of the Angels to the Roof
The saga continues... or does it begin? Book #6 takes place before the preceding pentateuch on recluse. Chaos and order kind of take a back seat to the another duality, that of gender and gender roles. The book starts out in a different place (sci-fi) and then flips over to fantasy. I found this to be a much more enjoyable read as intrigue, deception, and more touches of humanity are sprinkled through the story. The first half establishes and the second parts picks up and his smartly balanced.

This one is solid. The final battle is well motivated throughout the whole book and it's clear that neither side wants to be there, giving the entire situation much more gravitas.
Loved this book, the whole concept made for an engrossing read.
Megan Anderson
In places a little boring, but the writing is so clear and the characters are so well-envisioned that it keeps on moving, even at it's most boring parts. The idea of having to build a home from scratch, even with partial use of advanced technology, makes my shoulders ache just thinking about it, and Modesitt's descriptions of the setting make me want to visit. The challenges the characters face, both with the construction and the petty intregues, are really what makes the book shine. Recommended ...more
Jason Gordon
Having read up to this book in the series a couple times, I have concluded that while an interesting book for the back story, this is one of the slower books in the series. Definitely not where I would suggest someone start even though it is fairly early in the time line (but not in the order they were written, for those unfamiliar with this series). But at the end of the day I still really like Modesitt's writing, so I enjoyed this book (but I'm also clear that's a somewhat personal opinion).
Harper Kingsley
This is probably one of my favorite Recluse book. That said, it's typical L.E. Modesitt fair: lots of detail, lots of technical info, a male protagonist, and a solid magic/science base.

Explains the female warriors that live on the roof of the world and how they are able to survive there where no one else can. And seeing as I've read the first books and the later books, I find it interesting to discover just how the world of Recluse has changed and adapted over the course of years.
The second Recluce sub-series in chronological order, this one starts about 400 yeras later after the Cyador books and presents the story of the opponents of the White wizards who are marooned to recluce and have to build a society; the first book is again somewhat slower and Nylan does not get into its own until later in the story but the second again picks up and is excellent
Myles Harrold
This book takes this whole series in a new direction. A group of people from another dimension are forced to land on the world of Recluce before Recluce even existed. Chaos magic exists already but the "Angels" start to experience and develop order magic. Even more engineering and building are included to bring some kind of technology into this early civilization.
Best of the series.
Sep 26, 2013 Gordon added it
This is my favorite so far. Nylan is amazing and gets the job done not nearly as whiney as the other main characters and since you know the world now makes this a roller coaster of action without the long buildups of previous books.
Mike (the Paladin)
I liked most of the Recluse novels. This one (oddly I suppose)I find made very little impression on me and can barely place it in the series (in my memory that is). I recall it as the weakest of the ones I read.
I liked this one a lot because it tells the very beginnings of Recluce with Ryba and Nylan as they set up their new society after crashlanding on the planet. I like the mix of science fiction and fantasy.
Chris Pacheco
This was THE BEST Modesitt Recluce installment. I was wary of it because of the spacemen. but it really shows that he's traveled far and wide since the first Lerris book. DAMN.
Volume 6 in the Saga of Recluse is actually the beginning of the story of the conflict between the White Brotherhood (the bad guys) and the Black Brotherhood (the Good guys).
Randy Pursley
I like this series. Instead of good vs evil, the battle is basically order vs chaos. Some of the books are better than others. This is one of the better ones.
A truly fascinating work. I enjoyed this book very much. There is just something about this series that sings to the order within my soul. Good stuff. =)
This was when the Recluse series totally took a nosedive. I read them all until this, but never read another one after it. Really really bad.
  • The Last of the Renshai (Renshai Trilogy, #1)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Tanequil (High Druid of Shannara, #2)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)

“That’s often the problem with rulers. They move people with their words, and because they do, they believe that they can use words to change the physical world. They can change people’s minds and feelings, but unless those people use shovels and some form of power, the words will not move the mountains.” 0 likes