Start by marking “The League of Youth/Pillars of Society (Collected Works of Henrik Ibsen)” as Want to Read:
The League of Youth/Pillars of Society (Collected Works of Henrik Ibsen)

The League of Youth/Pillars of Society (Collected Works of Henrik Ibsen)

Henrik Johan Ibsen (1828-1906) was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama."

cloth, 496 pages
Published May 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The League of Youth/Pillars of Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League of Youth/Pillars of Society

Adrian Colesberry
Apr 12, 2009 Adrian Colesberry rated it really liked it
I went on a tear on 2007 and read all of Henrik Ibsen and all of August Strindberg. Before I could get to all of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, I had to turn back to writing, and I can't read while I write. Ibsen is wonderful. The thing I like most about Ibsen is that he loves and respects women at least in his writing. Not all of his plays are tragedies either. Many are very funny and many have mixed endings, not all are downers.
Though I'm not a big fan of Peer Gynt. Strindberg's parody of Peer Gyn
Marisa
Feb 22, 2008 Marisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
Finished "The League of Youth" out of this set. Didn't like it at all. Unlike his other plays with very poignant characters, this one felt like a really bad Tolstoy with so many fuzzy characters the whole thing just became vague and the point was lost amidst.

"Pillars of Society" was different than the other Ibsens--still dealt with keeping face in public, but #1, it deliciously did not have the ironic ending twist, and #2, had a happy ending if you can believe it!
Larsm
Larsm rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2009
Faye
Faye rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2009
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2009
Utrillo Kushner
Utrillo Kushner rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2011
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu
More about Henrik Ibsen...