Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope

Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This is the story of President Jimmy Carter's post-presidency, the most admired and productive in the nation's history. Through The Carter Center, which he and Rosalynn Carter founded in 1982, he has fought neglected diseases, waged peace in war zones, and built hope among some of the most forgotten and needy people in the world. Serving in more than seventy nations, Carte...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster

Mike
Jimmy Carter is an absolute hero to me. The work that's he's done through and with The Carter Center is nothing short of amazing. This book does an excellent job of illuminating exactly what goes into the progress that The Carter Center has effected.

There were at least half a dozen times that this book caused me to think, "My God, Jimmy Carter is more amazing than Batman." I'm not joking.

I listened to the audio version of this book, which is read by Carter himself. I've always admired the way he...more
Nora
Although Carter's style is a bit dry (and I have to confess I didn't closely read the chapters on topics/geographic areas I wasn't interested in), overall this book is a fascinating account of he and wife Rosalynn's years after they left the White House. I have always admired Carter's commitment to democracy and human rights abroad and I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to read his memoirs of peacekeeping and electoral observation for any of my college papers about these topics. I even felt like a...more
Shawn Sorensen
This is one of the most important books written in the last ten years, and should serve the American voter, student, professor - and leader of any level - for a long time to come.

Jimmy Carter has done more in each year of his post-presidency than most presidents do in a full four-year term (the jury's still out on Obama). The issues and issues are simple but profound - ensure free and fair elections in HUNDREDS of countries, fight diseases that save TENS of MILLIONS of lives mainly in lower-inco...more
Devon
Jan 03, 2009 Devon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in foreign policy, NGOs, or humanitarian work
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting look into the humanitarian work that the Carters have done in the time since his presidency. The book, surprisingly enough, wasn't overtly political except for a few comments regarding foreign policy. I learned quite a bit regarding issues in developing nations, particularly health-related, that I previously had no idea were even a concern. Not as motivating as Three Cups of Tea, but still a worthwhile book to read.
Delight
No matter what you thought of Pres. Carter when he was in office, one can't help but admire the work he's done post-presidency. While most former presidents are making millions giving speeches and sitting on corporate boards, President Carter decided he would devote his life to mediating conflict and eradicating diseases that no-one is addressing. The 4 stars are a reflection of the admiration and respect I have for the work he describes. Makes me want to be an intern for the Carter Center.
Michael
A good read. While it took me a while to get over the name-dropping and general comfort Carter has with speaking about and celebrating his own accomplishments, once I got past it I found myself respecting the guy more and more. The Carter Center's work eradicating tropical diseases is particularly impressive, but even just generally hearing about an ex-President who has clearly devoted his life to helping others is inspiring.
Kristina Klausser
I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this book as much if I had actually read it (I listened to the audiobook). It is an interesting survey of issues around the world and the work the Carter Center has done. It's a few years old so a few things have changed (for example, Carter mentions the goal of eliminating Guinea worm, it's been accomplished) but overall I found it very interesting.
Beri
A very interesting look at Jimmy Carter's life. I have always admired him but found him to be even more interesting when learning of how hard he has worked his whole life and how well-rounded his experience is. Excellent, although slightly heavy read.
AlAmmari Mohammed
أنصح القارئ بأن لا ينخدع من عنوان الكتاب ( ما وراء البيت الأبيض ) فقد يعتقد بأن الكتاب يتحدث عن البيت الأبيض , بالعكس.

جيمي كارتر , رئيس أمريكا من عام 1977 إلى 1981 الذي عُرف بتواضعه هو من أنشاء مركز كارتر بعد أن خسر الرئاسة لفترة ثانية عام 1981 ضد رونالد ريغان.

باختصار الكتاب يتمحور عن المركز الذي تم إنشاءه من قبل الرئيس السابق جيمي كارتر و زوجته روزالين كارتر.

يعتر مركز كارتر منظمة غير ربحيه , هدفه الرئيسي المساعدات الإنسانية داخل و خارج أمريكا. و شعار المركز إحلال السلام . محاربة المرض . بناء...more
Stephen
Ex-Presidents enjoy many privileges and "Beyond the White House" demonstrates that one of them is getting mediocre books published.

"Beyond the White House," has the feel of many loose-ends, however interesting and worthy of recounting, carelessly stitched together.

There is no narrative to speak of. Only the single-thread of a post-presidency binds these tales of the Carters' (husband and wife) forays into battle against disease, dictatorship and poverty.

As writer/politician, Carter lacks Pres...more
Kristi
I am a conservative Republican, but picked up this book to learn and read about someone from the “other” side. Well that, and because it was in the bin at the Dollar Store. I definitely got my money’s worth! I especially enjoyed reading about President Carter’s humanitarian efforts around the world, although his Atlanta project here in the USA seemed to be a big, expensive dud. There is no doubt in my mind that his intentions are good to truly help the downtrodden in this world. It is admirable...more
Darren
It was a bit deep at times and got really down into the specifics of what Jimmy Carter has been up to since losing the presidential election over 30 years ago. To be honest I knew that President Carter was involved in Habitat for Humanity and I'd heard of The Carter Center but this book gave me a strong appreciation for the hard work he and the former first lady have been doing the last 32 years.

It may be more enjoyable for a policy wonk as opposed to someone who is interested in the feelings an...more
Thomas Hunt
Jimmy Carter talks about the incredible work of the Carter center in fighting disease and poverty all over the world.
Jeremiah
An inspiring read on President Carter's second act as a humanitarian. From its inception in 1982, the Carter Center has brokered peace and combated disease and hunger in all parts of the world. Of course not all of the Carter Center's attempts at peace bore fruit and it is tempting to be a little cynical at Carter's international do-gooding efforts, the upshot is that probably thousands of lives were saved due in Haiti and elsewhere in part due to the work of the Carter Center.
Donna
This book discusses everything The Carter Center has accomplished in the last 25 years (and where they hope to go from here). It was very infomative about foreign struggles over the last few decades, and helped me understand better some of the challenges around the world. It is easy to read for those who are not very internationally politically astute (like me). Well worth the time.
Earl Kinsley
Jimmy Carter always tells a good story, and this is full of them. But the format of the book is fairly dry. It follows his adventures with the Carter Center, but it is organized first by countries the center has helped (all of them!) and then by diseases the center has sought to irradiate. It is worth reading, if only for Jimmy's funny tales.
Wendi
Who knew that Jimmy Carter was doing so much good in the world? It certainly gave me a lot of new information and a new perspective on our foreign policy (sigh). My husband asked me to stop explaining about the worms... too awful to think about and a problem with so simple a solution. GOOOO Carter!
Tim Good
I kept nodding off.
Nicole Braden Lewis
The initial chapters about waging peace around the world were a little hard to follow, but the section about fighting disease in Africa was truly fascinating. The Carter Center deserves a medal just for wiping out Guinea worm. Seriously, have you seen what this parasite does?!
Janet
5 stars for content, but only 3 stars for writing style. Definitely the best ex-president since Adams.At age 88, he & his wife continue to do impressive work, combating disease in Africa & other places, monitoring elections,helping solve conflicts.
Wendy Hollister
Jimmy Carter has done a lot for mankind and I was unaware of this until I read his book. The story about worms in the drinking water of African tribes was unnerving.
Jimmy Carter is one of the very few mainstream leaders I truly admire and this book articulates why. His vision, humility, and dedication really inspire me.
Mike Kriesel
Learned more about President Carter than I ever new, Love all the work he and his foundation have done.
William H
seriously- the man thinks he could have solved every problem in the world.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 04, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
busy man, smart!
Marcos Stathis
Marcos Stathis marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tyler Parksion
Tyler Parksion marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Koren Leggett
Koren Leggett marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Toward a True Kinship of Faiths: How the World's Religions Can Come Together
  • Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • Tea with Hezbollah: Sitting at the Enemies Table Our Journey Through the Middle East
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • A Long Way from Home
  • The Clinton Tapes: Wrestling History With the President
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • The Bureau and the Mole: The Unmasking of Robert Philip Hanssen, the Most Dangerous Double Agent in FBI History
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Commanders
  • James Madison (The American Presidents, #4)
  • Joshua and the Children
  • Three Negro Classics
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 1
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
  • Let Me Finish
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of...more
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood The Hornet's Nest A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power

“Since 2001, the U.S. government has abandoned its role as a champion of human rights and has perpetrated terrible and illegal abuses in prisons in Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, sent prisoners secretly to other nations to be tortured, denied the applicability of the Geneva Convention restraints, and severely restricted time-honored civil liberties within our own country. Certain political leaders of other nations, who are inclined to perpetrate human rights abuses to quiet dissenting voices and were previously restrained by positive influence from Washington, now feel free to emulate or exceed the abuses approved by American leaders.” 8 likes