Start by marking “A Writer's Coach: An Editor's Guide to Words That Work” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Coach: An Editor's Guide to Words That Work

A Writer's Coach: An Editor's Guide to Words That Work

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A practical, innovative step-by-step approach to the writing process from one of the most acclaimed writing coaches in the country

In A Writer�s Coach, Jack Hart�a managing editor at The Oregonian�shares the wisdom with which he has coached reporters to Pulitzer Prize�winning success. He gives invaluable advice on gathering ideas, writing theme statements and outlin
Published August 22nd 2006 by Pantheon (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Coach

Scott
Jan 05, 2009 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, editors
Recommended to Scott by: nieman narrative editors' conference
I would like to have this book loaded on a computer chip and implanted in my brain. Then I could draw on it at will. And as a writer and editor, I would scale mountains and slay dragons and always return home a hero.
But such automatic success would eliminate the trying, failing, trying again and succeeding that is so rewarding if you are a writer or editor. You know you'll never know it all, but you keep learning to get as close as you can.
So what I'll do is just keep this book nearby. I'll d
Tee Jay
Jul 20, 2010 Tee Jay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking to write well
Jack Hart’s A Writer's Coach: An Editor's Guide to Words That Work is one of the best books on writing I have read. It is to the point, elegant, and has a lot of useful information packed into its pages. Most importantly, it is written in a way that is accessible and modern so that a reader feels like he or she is speaking with the writer. A Writer’s Coach is a welcome addition to any budding or professional writer, regardless of the genre being written.

Some of the material covered in this littl
Jerome Baladad
Another must-read book for writers (and those with lurking ambitions to make it as a writer in a very competitive world that tends to put down outsiders and beginners---unless you're lucky, persistent, disciplined and focused with your goals), this book hopefully will help you on improving your efforts to sharpen your tools in your craft continuously. After reading this, I'm beginning to believe that I have to keep on reading and understanding inputs from books like this so that I'll improve my ...more
Mark Lewis
Again, I did not finish the book. it's so dry, it reads like a textbook.
Victor Samuel
Jack Hart did it well. He tells, and mostly shows, how a fine writing is done without unnecessary pain. Emphasised in journalism, his practical and humorous wit strikes most of writing features, from idea generation to the art of fine-tuning. I wish I had had read it at the beginning of my bachelor study. Get a copy soon. Your writing will never be the same!
Julien
Not a lot of new material if you've read other writing advice books, but it's organized well, and the first section, on organizing (non-fiction) writing projects before you start drafting is very good. Weirdly, organization and process are often neglected in this sort of book, so it's nice to see them treated well.
Rona Simmons
Wonderfully informative book on writing. Particularly helpful with editing. Full of examples for each of the author’s recommendations. One of the few books that I believe are worth owning in hardback. I want to highlight and underline and “star” to my heart’s content.
Jamee
Well-written guide to writing, full of examples for every topic of import from color to clarity to process with helpful snapshots at the end of each chapter to review key points

Having completed this book, I should have composed an eloquent review.
David
This is the best book I've ever read on the craft of writing. And I've read Zinsser. Hart offers wisdom that can immediately improve your ability to put words on the page.
Chantal
Oct 18, 2011 Chantal is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by the A&E editor and Seven Weekly. It's got a lot of excellent and practical writing strategies for freelancers and journalists.
Stephanie
Maybe I have been reading too many "how to" books on writing. I didn't feel this one added much and it only deals with journalistic writing.
Nicole
This book provides tips for journalists, but I enjoyed the sections on force and brevity. I noticed an immediate improvement in my writing.
Jen
Great advice from one of the country's foremost writing coaches (at The Oregonian). Super readable. Makes tons of sense.
Meghan Pinson
Worthwhile, useful. The chapters on brevity and force were thorough and direct; it would be good to have this on hand.
Tara
The best technical book on writing I've evver read!
Not really inspiring, but exactly what I needed.
Linden A.
Jan 26, 2010 Linden A. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linden A. by: Merlin Mann
Recommended by Merlin Mann: http://www.43folders.com/2009/11/02/n...
Diane
Solid, clear advice. I may need to buy this one.
Alex
Selected Resources for Writers are included.
Shannon
This book is one to read again.
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Leanna Manuel
Leanna Manuel marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Making of a Story: A Norton Guide to Writing
  • Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer
  • How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them
  • Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy (Writing Series)
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University
  • Plot
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • The Believer Book of Writers Talking to Writers
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
Jack Hart was a managing editor at The Oregonian and has served as the newspaper's writing coach and staff development director. Formerly a professor of journalism at The University of Oregon, he has often lectured at Harvard's Niemann Conference for Narrative Journalism, and he teaches at writers' conferences throughout the country.
More about Jack R. Hart...
Storycraft: The Complete Guide to Writing Narrative Nonfiction Skookum Summer The Information Empire: The Rise Of The Los Angeles Times And The Times Mirror Corporation