Start by marking “The Call of the Wild” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Wild

Read Book* *Different edition

The Call of the Wild

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  223,108 Ratings  ·  5,700 Reviews
Buck, a sturdy crossbreed canine (half St. Bernard, half Shepard), is a dog born to luxury and raised in a sheltered Californian home. But then he is kidnapped and sold to be a sled dog in the harsh and frozen Yukon Territory. Passed from master to master, Buck embarks on an extraordinary journey, proving his unbreakable spirit...

First published in 1903, The Call of the Wi
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic (first published August 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Wild, please sign up.

Michelle I think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into…moreI think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into without some guidance. Children will understand it as a grand adventure story told through the eyes of a dog. Adults will see the deeper themes about society, human nature and justice.

There is quite a bit of violence in the book (dog fights, dog deaths, animal abuse), so that is something to consider if giving it to a child to read, as well. (less)
Bodhi It is a short novel, a novella. Some editions have only 100 pages! It has seven (VII) separately named parts or "chapters".
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
180th out of 44,129 books — 164,637 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
136th out of 16,722 books — 78,673 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
REVIEW ADVISORY:

Please be aware that, while the following review contains a number of adorable animals pics, young Ricky Schroder, who starred in the movie version of the novel, will NOT appear...I feared that would raise the sugar content of this report to diabetically dangerous levels.

Awwwwwww.....the classic “coming of age” story, with the nifty twister of having the main character be a pawky puppy going on doggiehood. I really licked it liked it, so two paws up there.

BTW, I'm not going to
brian
Mar 29, 2008 brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a dog obsessive. i'm nuts. dogs are my moby dick. they're my opera-house in the jungle. if i had a genie in a bottle, i'd wish away all human life (including my own) so dogs could take over the world. wait. that'd be wish number two. number one would be that i had an olympic sized swimming pool filled with dogs and i could do a few laps. then i'd erase humanity. seriously. my dog is the coolest guy i've ever met, my best friend, and love of my life. if it sounds weird: piss off. i don't wan ...more
Ben Winch
Jan 07, 2013 Ben Winch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, anglo, 5-stars
I defy anyone - man, woman or child - not to like The Call of the Wild. It's the most exciting adventure, the most moving love story, the deepest meditation on a creature and its place in nature. If you aren't cheering for Buck the dog by the end of this you're either hard-hearted or a cat-lover.
Lynne King
“Love, genuine passionate love, was his for the first time. This he had never experienced at Judge Miller’s down in the sun-kissed Santa Clara Valley. With the Judge’s sons, hunting and tramping, it had been a working partnership; with the Judge’s grandsons, a sort of pompous guardianship; and with the Judge himself, a stately and dignified friendship. But love that was feverish and burning, that was adoration, that was madness, it had taken John Thornton to arouse.”

In reading this book, I had
Councillor
The Call of the Wild is the classic dog novella, the book to check out if you want to know how dogs were portrayed in classic literature. Nobody could deny Jack London's reputation in his genre, and thousands of readers seem to love his dog stories. He was certainly a good author, as it is almost impossible to think of any other author who might have been able to paint such a dark, realistic and captivating picture of the Alaskan landscape, of nature's rudeness and the frameworks of the laws of ...more
Scoobs
Apr 12, 2008 Scoobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scoobs by: Juliet Echo Whisky
Apatt
Nov 15, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing
Novels narrated from a dog’s point of view are rarities. I distinctly remember reading two, Fluke by the late great James Herbert, and Cujo by Stephen King (only partly from the dog’s POV). If the author’s talent is up to the task, it is quite a nice change in perspective (though I am sure you wouldn't want to read fiction from a canine perspective all the time unless you are a dog, even actual dogs don't want to do that, I have asked a few).

Set in the Yukon during the 1890s Klondike Gold Rush,
Valerie
Jan 30, 2016 Valerie rated it it was ok
First off I should say that London is a great writer. This is the first book I've read of his. His description of the Alaskan terrain is incredible. I have never been to Alaska but when I read this book I could picture it in my head very clearly.

However, that does not take away what I think of the story itself. It wasn't bad. It was interesting, but I could not seem to grasp exactly what London's point was. Was it animal cruelty? Was it the wild should be kept wild? Or is there some hidden soci
Jason Koivu
Jun 27, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Call of the Wild, that manly man's outdoors adventure tale! Oh how I loved this story as a young teen. During New England winters I would even imagine braving the Alaskan cold, just me and my dog. My dog was a lab-spaniel mix with stumpy legs and a donut-gut from begging during coffee-breaks at my granddad's car repair shop down the road. She wasn't about to be pulling sledges through snowdrifts. And I was no more athletic. In fact, the two of us together looked something like this...

description
Carmo
O meu primeiro livro de Jack London, e não podia ter corrido melhor. Caí de chapa em plena natureza selvagem; como se tivesse atravessado em correria pradarias ao calor do sol, como se tivesse sido eu a palmilhar milhas com um trenó às costas levando com a neve e a chuva nas trombas, perdido o fôlego ao cair num rio de águas geladas, remoinhos, rápidos e rochas pontiagudas. Doeu-me tudo!
Doeu-me ainda mais a maldade humana, a arrogância do homem capaz de escravizar e maltratar animais, e emocione
Mark Lawrence
Apr 29, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it
I remembered discovering either Call of the Wild or Whitefang when I was a boy and really liking it, so on finding this on our shelves I read it to Celyn (12 but too disabled to read).

I found myself translating on the hoof as the book was written in 1903 and much of the language is quite Dickensian. Celyn's vocabulary, whilst largely unknown to me, must be derived from books and conversations, and neither of those would have supplied her with many of the words in Call of the Wild.

I found myself
Jan 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
“He was beaten (he knew that); but he was not broken. He saw, once for all, that he stood no chance against a man with a club. He had learned the lesson, and in all his after life he never forgot it. That club was a revelation. It was his introduction to the reign of primitive law, and he met the introduction halfway. The facts of life took on a fiercer aspect; and while he faced that aspect uncowed, he faced it with all the latent cunning of his nature aroused.” Jack London, The Call of the Wil ...more
Lou
Dec 31, 2012 Lou rated it it was amazing
A poignant and triumphant tale of a great creature in the wild. He feels the bitterness and savagery of men and his pack, there has been a dividing line in his relations with humans by no fault but their own due to their constant usage of this canine Buck in work, in pulling in the snow, they have not shown any kindness, but there is hope he will soon be blessed with some.
One man shows a kindness that helps Buck, who has had a life of toil and enduring of hardships, its a warming to the heart to
Andrei Tamaş
May 30, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing
"Chemarea străbunilor" este unul dintre romanele la care, citindu-l, adolescent precoce fiind, am plâns. Pe lângă faptul că are un puternic impact asupra imaginaţiei, purtându-l pe cititor pe tărâmuri ascunse chiar şi literaturii, are o idee filosofică ezoterică: Buck, "personajul" principal al cărţii, reprezintă tipologia umană, care simte chemarea către rădăcinile sale, către originile sale... Aşa şi omul: este condamnat mereu să se întoarcă la originile sale, însă înainte de a se întoarce la ...more
Stephanie
Apr 30, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-2015
Loved this story!!! (Although, not thinking for young kids!!)

Buck (the dog) was an awesome narrator and the journey of his life from beloved pet to back to the wild was an exciting one...

Jack London was able to evoke the whole range of emotions with this story.... sad, scared, excited, inspired... WOW!!!

I am an animal lover and some of the more violent parts were a little bit too realistic for me. Given that, I think that they were appropriate to the description of the life of a sled-dog in Alas
Chy
Nov 26, 2015 Chy rated it it was amazing
Invalid reasons for not reading this:

1.) Hundred-year-old-books are written in an inaccessible style.
---The Call of the Wild has a very accessible style, with beautiful prose and imagery---beautiful prose and imagery that's light and very accessible.

2.) I don't like dog stories.
---This is a Buck story. Sure, he's a dog, but this isn't a dog story. It's Buck's story. And he's a complex, sympathetic character. He just happens to be a dog.

3.) What do I care about the Klondike gold rush?
---Don't mat
Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wrong edition, but after going through 10 pages of different editions with no end in sight, I got tired. Mine is by Random House in 2009 & read by Jeff Daniels (the star of Newsroom on HBO). Daniels' reading of this story is FANTASTIC.

I let far too many years go by between reads of this story. London paints a wonderfully brutal picture of the Klondike gold rush as seen in relation to Buck. He doesn't anthropomorphize terribly, but I found the hereditary memories of the primitive man a bit mu
Caris
Dec 04, 2012 Caris rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, environmental
I don’t like fictional books about animals.

Animal behavior? Sure. But not anthropomorphic dog thoughts. Hell, I’d rather watch a full day of the Dog Whisperer than read this shit again.

That is, of course, not to say the book is without merit. It is a classic, after all. It has withstood the test of a little bit of time. Almost no time at all in the grand scheme of things. Barely a moment if you really think about it.

But the writing is certainly capable. It is there. There are words and they are
Greg Zink
I found The Call of the Wild to be a pretty enjoyable quick read, though I didn't really find a lot of deeper significance to it. It is a straightforward tale of a dog who gradually returns to a wilder state after being forced from a content life in the civilized world. Along the way there are adventures and scrapes with various humans and animals which make the story interesting, as is the transformation of the main character.

This book is told from the point of view of the dog, Buck. Having ani
Moses Kilolo
Oct 06, 2013 Moses Kilolo rated it really liked it
Bucks story is a beautiful, multilayered tale that shows the basic plot of the journey towards the call of destiny. There is what we are all meant to be, and if we but hear the call, then our duty is but to obey.

Like happened to Buck, the dog, there is ever a process, ranging from our familiar comforts to our deepest defeats, to our highest achievements – all of which we must transcended in our journey to being free and self accomplished.

Though Buck was comfortable in the Judge’s backyard, pla
Tess
Feb 01, 2008 Tess rated it did not like it
Carol
Apr 22, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack London's 1903 classic was a very tough read for me as it is pretty much non-stop animal cruelty that is often taken to the extreme, but, I so loved Buck, his unbreakable spirit, ability to adapt and need to please.

A worthwhile book that I would still recommend.

Ioannis Anastasiadis
..ο Τζακ Λοντον διαμόρφωσε εν πολλοίς το προσωπικό του συγγραφικό στίγμα του μέσα από πολυάριθμα γεγονοτα της περιπετειώδης του ζωής, τις πολυποίκιλες νόμιμες και μη επαγγελματικές τους δραστηριότητες σε όλα τα μήκη και τα πλάτη του κόσμου αλλά και την πνευματική του αναζήτηση κ σπουδή στα έργα φιλοσοφων οπως των Νιτσε, Μαρξ, Καρλ Γιουνγκ κ Δαρβινου ..ανήσυχος κ τολμηρος από την φύση του κατέφυγε στα 21 του χρόνια στον Παγωμένο Βορρά κ στο θρυλικό Κλόνταϊκ κ επιδόθηκε όπως χιλιάδες άλλοι σύγκαιρ ...more
K.M. Weiland
Jun 26, 2016 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it
How interesting could a novel about a dog be? I mean really! But you know what? This is as good as they say it is. Bristling with realism and high stakes, an entirely engaging (and un-sappified) hero in sled dog Buck, and a fast pace, it’s engaging from beginning to end—if a little episodic.
Carolyn
Written more than a century ago, Jack London's tale of a family dog kidnapped and sent to Alaska to work pulling sleds still works well today as a story of adventure and survival. As well as telling the story of Buck's transition from family pet to hardened work dog and eventually wild creature through Buck's eyes, we also learn about the lives of the men who settled and worked in the rugged north of Canada and Alaska. The scenery is so well described you can almost visualise it and feel the col ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
Oct 25, 2015 Jeannette Nikolova rated it did not like it
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

I read this book as a sort of a buddy-read and to be honest, that was the only reason I decided to read it at all. I'm going to be fair and admit that I knew I wasn't going to like it. I've never been a fan of books or movies about animals. I don't seem to be able to feel any emotional connection with them. I guess that applies to all things non-human.

I could not really make myself care for this kidnapped dog. I found the world it lived in completely revolting -
David
Dec 18, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog-lovers, sled-drivers, gold prospectors, NOT bears, moose, or Indians
Wow! I don't know if I've ever actually read a Jack London story before. I suppose I must have in elementary school. But The Call of the Wild, a short novel of 84 pages, is really an excellent adventure - simple, straightforward, but with crisp prose, rousing adventure, and who doesn't love a dog story? And no sentimental tail-wagging doggie here, but a metaphor for the ancient struggle between civilization and nature, the blessings and disadvantages of giving up our ancestral survival instincts ...more
orsodimondo (a zonzo)
IL VALORE DELLA LIBERTÀ
Nonostante l’ambientazione sia principalmente all’aria aperta, questo romanzo è una discesa agli inferi, è un capostipite del genere ‘carcerario’: perché Buck viene strappato alla sua vita di cane domestico, fatta di ozio riposo coccole e sicurezza, e sbattuto in un attimo in un mondo di cattività, violenza, repressione, prevaricazione – da un’esistenza protetta, da pari a pari, scagliato nell’inferno dove domina la legge del più forte – dal sole della California ai ghiacc
Loren Rines
Dec 12, 2013 Loren Rines rated it really liked it
Call of the Wild is a great book that I really enjoyed reading. It was exciting, scary, sad and inspiring in places. The book is about a dog named Buck that was taken from his comfortable ranch in California and forced to live the life of a sled dog in the harsh Alaskan Yukon. It was exciting to read how Buck learned to handle his change in scenery and take charge of his life.
Buck had a really hard and physically punishing time adjusting to his new life and had many dangerous and almost deadly e
Lau
«Había perdido (lo sabía), pero no estaba vencido.»

Antes que nada quiero sacarme algo del sistema y elevar un WTF al universo para quien sea que decidió traducir el título original (The Call from the Wild) como 'La llamada de la selva'.
El libro transcurre en Canadá y Alaska, hay nieve y hielo por todos lados, ¿me perdí la selva?.

Esta es la historia de un perro bueno y noble llamado Buck, cruza de Husky Siberiano con Beethoven San Bernardo, que un día es secuestrado y arrancado de su vida cómod
Around the Year i...: The Call of the Wild, by Jack London 5 31 Jun 16, 2016 03:10PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: audio/informational 1 1 May 12, 2016 08:07PM
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • Irish Red
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • White Fang (Fast Track Classics)
  • Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3)
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Old Wives' Tale
  • Kim
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • The Rough Riders
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • Zuleika Dobson
  • Sybil, or the Two Nations
  • Old Yeller (Old Yeller, #1)
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #4-6)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...

“He was mastered by the sheer surging of life, the tidal wave of being, the perfect joy of each separate muscle, joint, and sinew in that it was everything that was not death, that it was aglow and rampant, expressing itself in movement, flying exultantly under the stars.” 1077 likes
“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.
This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”
252 likes