Start by marking “Hartsburg, USA: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Hartsburg, USA: A Novel

Hartsburg, USA: A Novel

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Hartsburg, Ohio, is a vintage rust-belt town on the wane; the factories and foundries are closed. And as the local cineplex gives way to yet another fundamentalist church, an ideological turf war has begun.

Oppressed by a dominant culture hostile to her values, born-again Christian mom Bevy Baer decides to run for a spot on the school board. Her plucky door-to-door campaig
Published August 21st 2007 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Hartsburg, USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hartsburg, USA

Julie
After reading a description of this book, I was looking forward to a hilarious red state versus blue state bloodbath. I hoped this book would be funnier than it turned out to be. It was also too crass for my taste. On the up side, there were a couple of moments where I thought about political issues, and people, from a new perspective. Oh, and I learned the real words to a couple of lines from "Mrs. Robinson" that I didn't even know I didn't know before.
Kelly
I was ready to dislike this book based on a lot of bad reviews on here but I actually kind of liked it. Wasn't a chore to finish, I didn;t like the two main characters at first but they grew on me. It was a bit wordy with the dialouge at times, I did find myself skimming when i could tell it had nothign to do with the plot. Otherwise, not bad.
Andrea
I wanted to like this book, really I did, but ultimately I found myself rushing through the end just to be finished with it - and sighing with relief after it was all over.
Dawn
quick, easy read; interesting concept with elections coming up; writing style basic; characters could all easily be somebody you know, although didn't really connect with any.
Julian
This wasn't good enough to finish. Completely contrived. This book is a good lesson in why telling is way worse than showing, for writers.
Jason
Maybe, in the right circumstances, I could have liked this. But I cashed it in after the 100 page investment. Just didn't take.
Jeremy Unger
Really wanted to like this book but just never could into it. Had to put it down after about 100 pages
Courtney Hayes
A really fun read. Highly recommended, especially if you like down and dirty contemporary politics.
Cindy
Great read and very timely. Mizner treats his characters with compassion and humor.
Both main characters really started to get on my nerves, so I never finished the book.
Kirstin
boring story, a bit preachy at times and lots of bad language
MJ
MJ added it
Dec 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Kel Varnson
Kel Varnson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012
Kit Kelsey
Kit Kelsey marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012