Start by marking “Lenin Lives Next Door: Marriage, Martinis, and Mayhem in Moscow” as Want to Read:
Lenin Lives Next Door: Marriage, Martinis, and Mayhem in Moscow

Finalist: Travel

THE INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
Finalist: Fiction: General
Finalist: Best New Fiction

“You have to really want to go to Russia. A brief visit involves a lot of paperwork, and, if you want to hang around for any length o
Published January 20th 2014 by Small Batch Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lenin Lives Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lenin Lives Next Door

Lisa
I received a free audio copy of this book. This is my honest review:

This book slices me right in half. There was love and there was not. I love the whole expat in Russia thing. Oh, how I love that. I love any expat-in-the-east story. But the life that the author leads while in Russia is so far removed from any life I know or care to know. It was just so keeping-up-with-the-Bulshovichs. I wanted to hear about LIFE in Russia, not so much the office politics and catty goings-on of the expat ladies'
BooksnFreshair (Poornima Apte)
The book’s premise sounds very interesting. Jennifer Eremeeva with her HrH (Handsome Russian Husband, although “there are days when I think of him as Horrible Russian Husband,” she admits) finds herself living next door to a Moscow institute that is dedicated to preserving and maintaining Lenin’s embalmed corpse. Eremeeva, an American expat, promises a lively account of her life in Moscow but I couldn’t get much past the devastating descriptions of some of her fellow expats: “Dragana was married ...more
Jude
Eh. I struggled with this book quite a bit. At times, it read like an expat version of Sex and the City. The author seemed particularly determined to impress how wealthy and privileged she is on the reader. The cast of supporting characters was reminiscent of over the top caricatures of people no one actually wants to know or care about. I've read her blog before and enjoyed it, but for most of the book, all I thought was, "Ugh!" At the same time, she writers well and when she takes herself and ...more
John
When it was good, I really got into the author's depictions of Russian culture, but when it was not ... we're talking "Rich Peoples' Problems: Moscow" as a reality show, which is just the teensiest bit difficult to identify with. Your Mileage May Vary here, so AYOR as they say (At Your Own Risk).

Author's self-narration worked fairly well here, which isn't usually the case.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
4.5 stars. In "Lenin Lives Next Door," Jennifer Eremeeva literally lives next door to Lenin (well, sometimes when he's removed from his mausoleum to get a chemical bath and a change of clothes so that he can look fresh every couple of months - how did I not know that he needed to get a chemical refresh???? This makes the story of how he will spend eternity even creepier). Part travelogue, part comedy, Eremeeva gives us a front row seat as to what it is like to be an American fascinated by Russia ...more
Kathrin
I received a free copy of the book.

I may know not that much about Russia but I know my share of expat stories. When I started reading the book I was looking forward to a humorous view on Russia and new insights for me about the country. I haven't been to Russia before but I like to travel. Books usually make me want to travel more.

I had my troubles getting into the book because the first few chapters didn't really do it for me. This eventually changed when the narration focused more on the auth
Blue
Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for a copy of this book.

Creative non-fiction, you say, ey? Well, here comes the rollicking expat life of a bunch of well-to-do characters and their Russian friends in Moscow, complete with outrageous interior decor, vicious book clubs, and elitists attitudes. Eremeeva tells her rather embellished tales with a great sense of biting humor and does not forget to blend in Russian history and foodie interests along the way. The expats in question are all somewhat disgu
Maura Elizabeth
There’s a tricky balance to writing well about expat life. Some people are so wide-eyed and enamored with their adopted homes that all they do is gush about how wonderful and fascinating and inspiring life abroad is. At the other end of the spectrum are writers who complain so relentlessly about the country they’re living in and the people who inhabit it that I want to scream, “If you hate it so much, why don’t you just GO HOME?”

My preference is for the expat writer who manages to discuss his or
Kathryn
Feb 15, 2014 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
This seems like a fun read. I can't wait to get it and to read it!
Just received my book. Looking forward to reading it.
J.T.
This is my 100th review! Hooray!
But unfortunately, it's a little negative.

I first heard about this book while browsing the Literature section on Russia Beyond the Headlines, and the book really stood out to me not only because of its cover, but because of its premise. I love any good expat life story, especially those that have to do with Russia.

However, the life that the author leads while in Russia is very far removed from any life I would care to know. Most of this book reads and seems like
Chloe
This book was my first ARC, and I wasn't really too sure what to think when I first heard that this was the book I was getting. It had the potential to be so dull. Live in post Soviet Russia? Snore. I was worried I wouldn't get through it and never get another ARC again.
But after reading it I truly think Jennifer Eremeeva could make anything funny. From the mundane (traffic conditions, balconies, corporate business) to the downright bizarre (Russian folk remedies, a gay South American interior d
Mandy
This book struck a real chord with me right from the start. “You have to really want to go to Russia. A brief visit involves a lot of paperwork…” says Jennifer Eremeeva in this wonderfully entertaining glimpse into that vast country which really does have to be experienced to be believed. Having struggled through many visa applications, I echo that sentiment. And I certainly recognise that arriving at the airport means running the gauntlet of “the world’s most aggressively unpleasant taxi driver ...more
Carol
The fact that this was nominated for any awards makes me question the awards. There are some really excellent bits but an editor was badly needed. It becomes very repetitive, and if you hear once about an "alpha male" you hear it 1000 times. There has to be a better book about life in Moscow today (and not just the very rich.Loads of brand name dropping too.)
Sergei
Absolutely hilarious from beginning to end. Eremeeva depicts the trials & tribulations of present-day Russia with a fine appreciation for the absurd & an exquisite eye for detail. Erma Bombeck meets David Sedaris (only much, much funnier and perspicacious) with a firm grasp of Russian history & a keen eye for the ghastlier aspects of her surroundings that Martha Stewart would envy.
Reid Curley
Jennifer Eremeeva is quite the writer. I don't think that I ever went more than a paragraph or two without without at least cracking a smile. She has a wit that is always present but variable enough that it doesn't get tedious. She often writes beautifully too. On more than one occasion, I found myself reading a sentence over simply because it was phrased so well.

All of which is good because the stories that she tells are somewhat uneven, and their appeal depends, I suspect, on your familiarity
Peter Buttenheim
Ms. Eremeeva is an American married to a Russian since 1994! She has divided her time between Northampton, MA and Moscow, Russia for over two decades. She understands the quirks and oddities of both ex pats in Moscow as well as the local citizenry.

Each chapter of this book -- while very funny on the surface -- delves deeply into the opinions and prejudices of these former Cold War enemies. Ms. Eremeeva creates delightful scenes with HRH (her Handsome, Horrible, or Helpful Russian) and her horse
Mirta Trupp
I gratefully downloaded “Lenin Lives Next Door: Marriage, Martinis, and Mayhem in Moscow by Jennifer Eremeeva through a free giveaway on Amazon. At the risk of being a plagiarist, I am compelled to defer to one or two on-point remarks posted by other reviewers. One likened Eremeeva’s point of view to Jane Austen’s satirical take on life. The reviewer compared lead players in Eremeeva’s memoir to beloved fictional characters, such as Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley. Another reviewer p ...more
Lena Cox
I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

The spring of 1996 I answered an ad in my university’s paper, “ESL teachers for private school in Moscow, Russia.” Four months later I boarded a plane with 3 other newly graduated women headed for a yearlong contract in the former USSR’s capital. A whole hand wasn’t needed to count what I knew about Russia. I was naive and young, stumbling without a compass into a culture I knew nothing about.

What I could have used was a copy of
Edith
An American in Moscow
or: Lenin Lives Next Door by Jennifer Eremeeva

I won Lenin Lives Next Door: Marriage, Martinis, and Mayhem in Moscow by Jennifer Eremeeva as a GOODREADS giveaway. It is the author's first book in which she compiled and fictionalised a series of funny episodes drawn from her own life as an American living in Russia for almost thirty years. Necessarily the book is full of stereotypes. For example the author comes up with the theory that you can deduce the character and life of
Michael Bolan
I spent over a decade living and working in Moscow. During this time, I had the opportunity to meet, and get to know, Jennifer Eremeeva, who was kind enough to send me a free copy of Lenin Lives Next Door.

I would love to be objective when reviewing this, but it's hard to find fault in the book. I can sum it up best when I say that as I read LLND, I was transported back to Moscow, with all its energy, passion and madness. I could see the characters in the book, I could hear them speak.

The book i
Tracy Beth
3.5*/5

From a young age, Jennifer Eremeeva has been intrigued by all things Russian. In this collection of essays, Lenin Lives Next Door, she shares her passion with readers through detailed observations and descriptive quirky nuances.
Reverend Stanleigh Chapin
Different

Having been an expat in several Middle East countries and also one in South America it was an interesting contrast to my experiences, different religious laws and types of government creates different experiences. Did not find it all that humorous, it seamed to mainly be only within their own group,
Rhonda
A wonderful book about an expat living in Russia with her Russian husband known as HrH& their daughter.She has a definite hate love with Russia her portrayal of people&situations will have you hysterical&although fiction you know there is a lot of real life in these vignettes.
Lisa
It has been a long time since I read a book that made me laugh. This one had me laughing out lout all the way through it. I really enjoyed the sense of humor and the very personal way that the book is written.
Ellen
charming, funny book about expat life (although of an echelon that I am not a part of) in Russia.

Note: I received this book free as a Goodreads giveaway so anything I say can be held against me.
Dan
An enjoyable read, it kept me interested. I can't say I find her writing style as humorous as the hype would lead one to believe, but it had its moments.
Katie
I received a free copy of this book from a GoodReads giveaway.

I have to say that the author's passion for Russia is infectious, as well as her childhood enamorment with romantic stories and histories, such as "Nicholas and Alexandra". She's able to spark (or reignite) an interest in tzars and classic authors.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I couldn't get all the way through; the stories of socialites at the embassies and such lost me. I just didn't have a desire to continue.
Bryan
I received a free copy through Goodreads.

I was really looking forward to this "fish out of water" story. It took me 3 months to finish. I could only suffer through a chapter or so a week.

When reading something like this, you hope to find a way to relate to the author. Sadly, I never found that. Like other reviewers, I agree she spent too much time reminding us of how much money she had. It made her(and her friends) sound like pretentious snobs.

The only thing keeping this from being a 1 star revi
Vicki
Sparkling, funny.
Tricia Fields
I won this book through the book giveaway. Eremeeva says, "You can't make this stuff up." That's exactly how the book reads! As someone who knew virtually nothing about Russia, beyond the basic history lessons and current Olympics stories, it was a great way for me to see Russia from the eyes of someone who obviously loves it - from the traffic jams to the countless holidays and the many varied dramas. Really enjoyed it. Thanks Goodreads!
Audiobooks: Free US and UK Audible Download Codes 1 28 Oct 14, 2014 04:32PM
  • A Country Lost, Then Found
  • Bombay Bhel
  • Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States"
  • To Sing Frogs
  • Axis Sally: The American Voice of Nazi Germany
  • While the Gods Were Sleeping: A Journey Through Love and Rebellion in Nepal
  • Have Mother, Will Travel: A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World
  • My Life in Politics
  • Apologies to My Censor: The High and Low Adventures of a Foreigner in China
  • Interrogations: The Nazi Elite in Allied Hands, 1945
  • Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could
  • Matters of Honor
  • Alistair Cooke's America
  • White Out: The Secret Life of Heroin
  • Paperboy: An Enchanting True Story of a Belfast Paperboy Coming to Terms with the Troubles
  • The Footloose American: Following the Hunter S. Thompson Trail Across South America
  • Red Rose, White Rose
  • I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD
Jennifer Eremeeva is an American writer, photographer, Russian historian, blogger, and humor and cooking columnist based in Moscow Russia.

Jennifer created the award-winning blog “Dividing My Time: Finding The Funnier Side of Life in Russia,” which highlights humorous and quirky aspects of her life as an expatriate in Russia, her cross-cultural marriage and offers up very digestible doses of Russi
More about Jennifer Eremeeva...
Have Personality Disorder Will Rule Russia: A Concise History of Russia