Start by marking “Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #12)” as Want to Read:
Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #12)

Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #12)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  3,479 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Kharl is the best cooper in Brysta, one of the major cities in Nordla, and his life has been as ordered and dependable as his barrels. His trouble begins when he saves a neighbor's daughter from the violent advances of two upper-class men. Then he rescues an actual rape victim he finds unconscious in an alley, a blackstaffer -- a young expatriate mage -- from Recluce, and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published April 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published April 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wellspring of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wellspring of Chaos

Brandon Sanderson
(This review was written in 2004.)

I read my first L.E. Modesitt Jr. book back in the early nineties, right around the same time Robert Jordan was getting popular. My first thought, upon seeing The Magic of Recluce, was that Modesitt looked like a Jordan clone. He had the same cover artist, same publisher, and same general “feel.” I read the book, and found it interesting, but wasn’t overwhelmed.

During the next ten years, however, I grew increasingly impressed with Modesitt as a writer. He took a
Liviu
Dec 16, 2014 Liviu rated it really liked it
weaker Recluce book though as it is set in the last (so far) period covered before the finale, it presents an interesting snapshot of the world

the standard fare though this time with an older lower class man discovering he is a powerful mage...

for some reason the hero doesn't really work that well, at least in comparison with other duologies
Durelle
Nov 14, 2016 Durelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100% Engrossing

From the first page to the last, couldn't put it down. Looking forward to the next book, I live this author
Bill
Mar 25, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It has been any years since I last visited the world dominated by the Chaos of Hamador and the Order of Recluse so it was with some trepidation that I began reading "The Wellspring of Chaos." I had stopped reading the recluse books in the past because, quite frankly, that had started to get kind of boring. However, I have had this book on my wishlist for a long time and it arrived for Christmans (thanks Mom) so I decided to dive right in. I'm glad I did.

Like all of the Recluse novels this one is
Mary Mackie
Sep 15, 2016 Mary Mackie rated it it was amazing
Leaves me wondering what will happen, but a good read even without the next book.
Liz
Oct 17, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars, because although I like the characters and story, the writing is kind of choppy. Often at important conversations, the speakers will come to some kind of understanding, but Modesitt never spells it out and doesn't often even offer enough clues for the reader to figure it out. Or maybe it's just me. But how annoying is that, to be reading this conversation, read that the characters look at each other meaningfully, and then one of them says, "Ah. I see your ...more
Yune
Jul 30, 2014 Yune rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Kharl the cooper runs afoul of the local lord when he keeps the lord's son from raping a neighbor girl, and misfortunes hurry past each other to heap themselves on Kharl's head. He's a man of principle rather than of warmth, which ends up costing him his family, but does earn him some critical friendships.

Modesitt does fall into familiar patterns in all his Recluce books, but each distinguishes itself in varying ways. The mundane tradecraft hasn't been new since the first book in the series, ele
Aelvana
Oct 27, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok
It wasn't immediately excellent, but engaging enough to keep reading. It did, indeed, keep to the promise that despite being book 11 in a series, I was still able to follow along. Modesitt's world is fairly well-constructed, though he shows little of the countries in detail (it's mostly sea ports). The story follows a cooper (barrel-maker) as he loses his family and sets out to almost accidentally becoming a mage. The prose was solid, though the plot fairly predictable, if you've ever read a ...more
Tani
Oct 17, 2010 Tani rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, male-author, 2010
The Recluce series used to be one of my favorites, but I fell out of it somehow. I picked up Wellspring of Chaos while in the grips of nostalgia. Now, even though I have other books that I really want to read, I'm kind of tempted to pick up the next book in this series instead.

So, why the three stars if I enjoyed it so much? Well, I need a certain mood to read books from this series. I need the patience to wait while Modesitt makes his way to the ultimate conclusion. I need to want to be comfort
Mike Paulhus
May 26, 2011 Mike Paulhus rated it really liked it
Another standard entry for Modesitt, similar story line from all the other books. I must say that the way he jumps from across periods of time from book to book has infuriated me throughout the series, but I can't seem to put my finger on a time frame in relation to the other books in the series for this one. Clearly it is one that has occurred somewhat later on the time line, but is it prior to the magic of recluse, or after? I suppose I will have to read Ordermaster next and see if there are ...more
Mark
Jan 19, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Modesitt returns to his most famed creation without missing a beat. As with all his books, this one fits seamlessly into the greater story of history and legends that make up the Recluse world. Focusing on the continents of Nordla and Austra, it tells the story of Karl, a cooper, and his journey through personal hardship and tragedy to become an Order Master. Any reader fascinated with the philosophy of the Order and Chaos magic system will love this book and the insights it provides into the ...more
Gary O'Brien
Mar 16, 2016 Gary O'Brien rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
This is the twelfth book in the Saga of Recluce series.

Writing most of them out of chronological order is a very interesting way to do a series.

I have noticed that each book seems to have characters that learn new ways to manipulate order and/or chaos. I am looking forward to finding out what the limits of order/chaos use may be without artificial enhancements.

This series gets better with each book. I am looking forward to the rest of them.
Tom
Jan 29, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it
I love the recluse series. Most of the 15 books stand alone and you don't need to read them in any order. A few stories continue with a second book. This one, the Wellspring of Chaos is the first in a set of two.
Karhl the Cooper keeps getting these increasingly bad breaks. He escapes and things start getting better for him as he begins to understand his ordered nature.

Fun read, if you haven't read any of them, start with the Magic of Recluse.
Kurtbg
Dec 10, 2014 Kurtbg rated it really liked it

I found this book to be among the better stories in the series I've read so far. The main character is better developed and is more sympathetic. He's not just a Boy Scout with nothing really bad ever happening to him - as many of the protagonists in this series are written.

This book is one in a series, but it can easily be read on its own.

I gave this book four stars more for the series, and not relative to other books.
Miles
May 22, 2010 Miles rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just one of a great number of strong offerings from the Saga of Recluce. As is generally the case, the novel centers on a craftsman who finds himself blessed/cursed with unusual abilities, in this case a cooper by the name of Kharl. The book strikes a nice balance of interpersonal conflict, politics, and philosophy. Not the best from Recluce, but still well worth reading.
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy, yet another Recluce book in which an innocent man falls victim to wrongdoing, and develops magic powers along with his inner strength. Really, all of Modesitt's plots are the same; all of his narrators have similar voices. This one is refreshing in that it's a cautious older man instead of your typical teen/mid-twenties adventuring hero.
Esoliken
Mar 01, 2014 Esoliken rated it it was amazing
Karl will strike you at the heart of the story if you are like him and want just a plain simple life. With all that happens to him you can see why that's not going to happen. just as Karl thinks he'll be able to settle down, the second book happens.
Cloetila
Jan 31, 2009 Cloetila rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book after reading all of the 11 prior Saga of Recluce books back to back. This was a delightful change from the typical Recluce hero. I like all of Modessit’s writing, but this is one of the best in the series.
Elisabeth Love
Mar 07, 2009 Elisabeth Love rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as a departure from the normal "Recluce" hero/anti-hero's. However I was a bit disappointed in the lack of flow that the other books have. It was choppy and disjointed at times that made it much harder to keep up with than any of the other books in the series.
Lonnie Smith
Jul 12, 2011 Lonnie Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A good book, and a fun read. It follows the L E Modesitt formula, fairly well, questioning justice and right and wrong. Kharl is a likeable protagonist as well. If you like his other stuff, pick this one up.
Steven Lawrie
May 15, 2012 Steven Lawrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-general
I've long been a fan of Modesitt's Recluce series, and I found this book really scratched that itch after having spent a long time since I last read one of them.
Kerry
Nov 09, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modesitt is always excellent. Engrossing tale with understated action which only makes it more intense.
Anna Loan-Wilsey
Feb 27, 2014 Anna Loan-Wilsey rated it really liked it
Not scary, gory or grotesque, this was simply an interesting story about interesting characters that happen to include elements of magic.
James
Jan 04, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best book in the series by far, but still a very quick and enjoyable read. Looking forward to Ordermaster.
Matt Bates
Jan 14, 2010 Matt Bates rated it liked it
Modesitt is so unlike any other fantasy author with his slow, thoughtful detailed account, and light philosophical musings. Its not particularly inventive but its fantastic to unwind to.
Paul Graves
Paul Graves rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Scientia Obscura
Scientia Obscura rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Ree Soto
Ree Soto rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Zachary Nemirovsky
Zachary Nemirovsky rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
  • The Children of Wrath (Renshai Chronicles, #3)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Tanequil (High Druid of Shannara, #2)
  • The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)