Start by marking “Beauty Tips for the Bereaved” as Want to Read:

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sunny Haralson's debut novel is a semi-illustrated, postmodern journey built from three generations of family tales, personal hardships, and many, many hamsters.
Published (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Tips for the Bereaved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Tips for the Bereaved

Jessica Mccarthy
Fine. I admit it. I want to stalk Sunny Haralson. I want her to be my best friend. I cannot enjoy or even get past page 5 of a book in which I cannot hear and commune with my narrator. When I read (present tense) Beauty Tips for the Bereaved, I can hear the narrator and she is bare and tough and vivid and feminine and heroic. There is this cascading sense of meeting her narrator-- you get pieces of her personality piling on to each other.

From a language standpoint, her craft is lovely. I get ea
Mellisa
There are some books that just stick with you. They speak to your gut, your muscles, your sinew, and of course, your heart. "Beauty Tips for the Bereaved" is one of those books. Both gorgeously written and bursting with humor, this is the kind of book that will change you for the better once read. I love reading, and I love books of all kinds, but this is one of those books that goes beyond love -- it will be a tale that not only lives on in me, it's one that will be gifted to everyone I hold de ...more
Jeanette
I'm so sad that I'm no longer "currently reading" this book. It was such a good read, I didn't want it to end. Sunny does an incredible job describing what is is like to live in our modern world. A world where you are born into circumstances that you can't control. When you try and change those circumstances, you make as many mistakes as you do miracles (and usually you can't tell the difference between the two at the time).
Jenny Wise
Stunning, hypnotic book. I've read it twice, and has trouble putting it down both times. This book commands your attention, stirs your emotion, and may just expand your consciousness. It's that damn good. Do yourself a favor and read it immediately.
Martha
Do yourself a favor and read this book! You've never read anything like it. You'll be awed and inspired.
J.
Sunny's book is a touching, heartrending, gritty account of living with Texas relatives from early childhood through high school in various surroundings--a west Texas farm, a Dallas shotgun shanty, an upper middle class Austin suburban home, a small apartment, and finally a tiny dilapadated trailer--while tracing the symptoms of a mysterious illness in first the father and then the daughter. Classmates in an Austin high school remind one of Linkletter characters in Slacker and Dazed and Confused ...more
Steph
Love her blog and happy to be reading about her amazing life.
Alicia
Amazing. Truly. I was crying the entire last 20 pages for good and sad reasons. Haunting and joyous. Disturbing and triumphant. Glad I gave Sam my Sunny Haralson original artwork since it will clearly be worth lots and lots as her story continues to unfold - in more beauty and love is my sincerest hope.
Tracy
Beautiful, heartbreaking, disturbing, joyful. It's all of these things frequently simultaneously.
Erin
This book is absolutely heartbreaking. Sometimes I think this is the memoirs of someone with a dark sense of humor and sometimes I think it’s a cry for help. If you’re the type of person who absorbs other people’s depression, you probably should not read this. It will just ruin your day.
Diane Janes
Haunting and beautiful. Will make you cry and laugh and wonder. The author is heroic and the writing is unique and compelling. She has a sharp wit, an amazing perspective and real talent for storytelling. This book should be a movie!
Carolee Wheeler
Resonated, with me, like Atlas Of The Human Heart. I'll be re-reading this.
Beth Ann
Beth Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Joanne Minichillo
Joanne Minichillo marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Catherine Ann
Catherine Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Maria R Beermann-Foat
Maria R Beermann-Foat marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Neuropozyne
Neuropozyne marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Anmol Chacko
Anmol Chacko marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Horribilis
Horribilis marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Linda B
Linda B is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015