Mentor: The Kid & the CEO: A Simple Story of Overcoming Challenges and Achieving Significance

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Tony has run-ins with the law and no direction in life until he meets Malcolm, a businessman who has faced many of the same challenges. Because Malcom is willing to share his knowledge and experience with Tony, they both become successful and significant. There are setbacks for both student and teacher, but with hope and action they overcome their difficulties. This uplift...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Mentorhope

Summer Jaramillo
This book is about a young man who is 19 named Tony who gets into trouble with the law and finds himself in jail for the second time. He always blames his mistakes on other people. Tony always refuses to participate in anything so he just sits in his cell. Until one day a man who has a big reputation in the jail tells Tony that he is only young and he has a hole future ahead of him and to go to a man named Malcoms class and do whatever he tells him to. Scared of this this guys he end up going to...more
Kym McNabney
The MENTOR: The Kid & The CEO, is a must read for all. It's well written and reads like a great novel. Positivity, optimistic, perseverance. This is the attitude and way of life everyone one should be striving for. This book will bring hope and encouragement to those down on their luck, thinking life has nothing to offer them. It really cements the idea that our own thinking and actions can either make or break us. In the end it is up to you. To have mentors throughout your life is vital, an...more
Janelle
May 22, 2008 Janelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has dreams and wants some inspiration to achieve them
Recommended to Janelle by: Tom Pace?
This book literally arrived in the mail with a note from a stranger telling me I needed to read it. I'm on a state-wide mentoring council so I'm sure someone googled me and then passed it on, but it was still a fun surprise. I read it within hours of receiving it. I've read a lot of inspirational tales and in social work have worked with a lot of inspiring people, clients, staff and volunteers. But this book is up there in terms of motivation and inspiration. It's told in a simple, straightforwa...more
Lynn Green
On the back of the book there is the claim, "Tony's [the book's narrator and protagonist] story will change your life." I have always been skeptical of such claims, particularly when made of a "self-help" book. And this one didn't (so far) change my life. However, I am probably not the book's primary target audience.

Mentor, written by Tom Pace with Walter Jenkins, told from the point of view of a young man named Tony, age 19, who is sent to jail for a parole violation and faces the real possibil...more
Alli
Tom Pace's novel, Mentor: The Kid and the Ceo really did change my life, as it claimed on the back. While the origins of this book are unknown to me, I can't help but feel a very real connection between myself, and Tony. I picked this book up off my counselor's book shelf and stashed it away to read on the bus home. I spent the next four and a half hours glued to the book, having passed my stop several times.

In the novel, Tony is a kid who got jailed for violating his parole. Malcom, a CEO of a...more
Cheryl
I requested this book as a “freebie” in December since I love to read and the book sounded interesting. A lot of freebies I request (especially the good ones like this) never arrive, so I was pleasantly surprised when I received my free copy in January. While I was doing some spring cleaning in May, I came across the unread book and realized I had not read any books during the past year (since my baby was born). I needed to make reading books a priority again and began with this book which is ir...more
Amber Draves
Nov 21, 2010 Amber Draves rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Amber by: Stranger
This book arrived to my PO box with a note from a stranger telling me I needed to read it. It sat on my bookshelf for a good year and a half until I finally picked it up and read it in a day. The plot is a little over the top - a 19 year old felon who can't take responsibility for his actions is taken in by a millionaire CEO who teaches him the importance of hard work, regular reading and consistent exercise as keys to personal success and wealth.

The fact that you can breeze through the book in...more
bjneary
Dec 27, 2007 bjneary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adult/college
This book was great, I really liked the author's style of writing. He begins with a 19 year old Tony who narrates the story of how he has just gotten caught (a 2nd time)stealing and has to do time in prison and will have a conviction on his record. He is embarrassed for his mom, but seems to blame everyone but himself. There is group once a week and at first he doesn't go- he's too cool. When he does, he meets Malcolm, who heads the group meetings and changes his life around. Each page of the bo...more
Grandpa Joe
A short, interesting, and easily readable story of a young man imprisoned for a felony and his relationship with his mentor who successfully guides him both during his prison term and subsequently upon his release from prison. The author, Tom Pace, is an Oklahoma City citizen - and mentor. In many ways, he is the Mentor of this book. Although this novel is classified as fiction, it is inspired by real life characters and events.
Heather Hansen
The premise behind this story is a good one. Actually a five-star one. But the writing is so incredibly bad I couldn't even make myself finish it. It reads like a cheesy 6th grader's love story. Not about 6th graders. Written by a 6th grader. I haven't read writing this poor in a long, long time. It boils down to the fact that if you read and apply principles from the book The Greatest Salesman in the World your life will change. That is true. But the presentation of the story was absolute junk....more
Katie Beeman
My father gave me this book when I started mentoring for Big Brothers Big Sisters and it really helped give me direction. I felt it was a little over the top at first with the CEO claiming to help and demanding to take part in decisions, but the overall message is really great - that when someone cares you eventually start caring too! I hope to use a few of these methods in my relationship and if you are thinking of mentoring or if you have someone who might need a little extra help I recommend...more
Charity
Very awesome book! Real life situations and it's also an attention grabber for those who aren't really "readers" will have you wondering what's next!!! 5 star
Katie
If I were a teenager, or in need of these life lessons I suppose I'd have rated this higher. This book seemed full of common sense that, I guess, I'm lucky enough to have learned. Not a whole lot of new info. Very simply written, which is good for wide range of access- but I guess this book just wasn't what I was looking for. I do think it would be good for a teen or YA fresh into college- maybe a good graduation gift. Outside of that demographic, not so much.
Anja
This book is a short read - but so inspirational. I received the book from the author a few years ago - and have given this to others to read. My former manager loved it so much - she ordered it for her children. If you want to read a book that truly makes you think - this book is for you. It inspired me to seek a mentor and to mentor others - as this is the biggest motivation to become better - and to make a difference for others!
Imelda Torres
I know this book was an easy book to read. I also know that for some people this book wasn't anythhing special. Perhaps even boring. Well I gave it 5 stars because I do know 2 people who are currently in prison who can really use this book. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be sending this book to one of them so he can read it. I'm sure he will learn from it and I'm sure he will see his situation in a new way.
Claudia
Sep 18, 2008 Claudia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who need to look for answers in their lives
Recommended to Claudia by: my principal, Jerry Winkle
The prose is clunky but the message is heartfelt. I kept wishing this self-help book woud be the nonfiction book it needed to be. I love the message: we need to help each other; the young help the experienced, the fortunate reach out to the needy. I love the idea of finding connections with others.

The book list at the end is awesome, and the list of postive actions one can take in life is also valuable.
Klay
This is a very simple and short read. Because of it's simplicity it is a great book to reccomend to those friends who do not like to read much. It tells a story while teaching. That is one of my favorite types of book. I give it three stars because of the ending was lacking a little bit in my opinion. Oh and you can find this book free on the internet, that is how I got it.
Nimit Patel
I am even blessed to already have solid mentorship in my life, but I learned a lot from reading this book that my mother had given me a long time ago. I finally read it and I definitely needed to read some of the things in this book at this time in my life. Get back in touch with the simplicity of success and power of routine.
Karina
Ugh. It's not great. Well, it's great if you're a teenager, locked up in juvie, and need some hope that the next stage of your life will be ok (and you're reading level is around 4th grade), but if none of those apply, it's not a great read. However, my current students can't read this fast enough.
Chevy
This book impacted my life as I watched it transform the lives of my students. It had even more of an effect as I watched it change the life of my younger brother who had a big run in with the law. He's a better person now and shares with all of his friends
Dreanna
The Book The Mento, by Tom Pace,was a very good book. In this book it talks about how yo overcome challenges and achieving signifigance. The story is based on a true story. It also said how to be successful in life. And that is my opinion on the book Mentor
Anthony Mast
While it is a simple story it packs a powerful punch of proven life principles. It is a quick read in story form which suits me well. The book list in the back could be worth millions if you read them.
Dan

A feel good book to read. There is a great list of inspirational books to read. Things seem too easy for the characters in the book but fundamentally the stated principles are good advice for anyone.
Sam
Jul 28, 2008 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sam by: Mike
A short read containing a lot of to-do's. It makes me want to have a more consistent routine in my life. It also shows how meaningful reading books can be and gives a large list of books to read.
OK Dad
Another selection from Dr. J's library in our shared classroom. Kinda hokey and not all that well written, but the story kept me involved and the message is certainly worthwhile.
Vernon
A good read, especially for those may think that they cannot succeed, for whatever reason. A great motivator, especially for teenagers who are doubting themselves.
Tiffany Rowland
Jan 30, 2008 Tiffany Rowland rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tiffany by: My dad
This is a great story about overcoming obstacles, setting goals, and working to achieve them. It is an easy read. I loved "The List" at the end, great advise to live by.
Alyson
I should probably give this book a fourth star for being short and very readable. It's inspiring and has a list of recommended self-help literature in the back.
Craig
Thank goodness for my association with Britt Worldwide and the Business Support Materials team: the recommended book of the month NEVER FAILS!
Joleen
This was also a great motivational book. Great for any kid to read and use as a book report. It read quickly but was a great motivator.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »