Start by marking “Mentor: The Kid & the CEO: A Simple Story of Overcoming Challenges and Achieving Significance” as Want to Read:

Tony has run-ins with the law and no direction in life until he meets Malcolm, a businessman who has faced many of the same challenges. Because Malcom is willing to share his knowledge and experience with Tony, they both become successful and significant. There are setbacks for both student and teacher, but with hope and action they overcome their difficulties. This uplift ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Mentorhope

To ask other readers questions about Mentor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mentor

Summer Jaramillo
Feb 09, 2014 Summer Jaramillo rated it it was amazing
This book is about a young man who is 19 named Tony who gets into trouble with the law and finds himself in jail for the second time. He always blames his mistakes on other people. Tony always refuses to participate in anything so he just sits in his cell. Until one day a man who has a big reputation in the jail tells Tony that he is only young and he has a hole future ahead of him and to go to a man named Malcoms class and do whatever he tells him to. Scared of this this guys he end up going to ...more
Janelle
May 21, 2008 Janelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has dreams and wants some inspiration to achieve them
Recommended to Janelle by: Tom Pace?
This book literally arrived in the mail with a note from a stranger telling me I needed to read it. I'm on a state-wide mentoring council so I'm sure someone googled me and then passed it on, but it was still a fun surprise. I read it within hours of receiving it. I've read a lot of inspirational tales and in social work have worked with a lot of inspiring people, clients, staff and volunteers. But this book is up there in terms of motivation and inspiration. It's told in a simple, straightforwa ...more
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing
The MENTOR: The Kid & The CEO, is a must read for all. It's well written and reads like a great novel. Positivity, optimistic, perseverance. This is the attitude and way of life everyone one should be striving for. This book will bring hope and encouragement to those down on their luck, thinking life has nothing to offer them. It really cements the idea that our own thinking and actions can either make or break us. In the end it is up to you. To have mentors throughout your life is vital, an ...more
Nicole
Feb 27, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this could be inspirational, and certainly made me think about taking action on a few things in my life, but I find inconsistencies in a book distracting while I am reading. Because I had to stop & wonder why, how, whether I really read that right or if I missed something, I can't give it more stars, although I love the local tale (OKC) & success story.
Nimit Patel
Jul 27, 2013 Nimit Patel rated it it was amazing
I am even blessed to already have solid mentorship in my life, but I learned a lot from reading this book that my mother had given me a long time ago. I finally read it and I definitely needed to read some of the things in this book at this time in my life. Get back in touch with the simplicity of success and power of routine.
Vicky
Apr 26, 2013 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting, feel good story with morals. Short easy read, motivational.
Lynn Green
Sep 16, 2012 Lynn Green rated it liked it
On the back of the book there is the claim, "Tony's [the book's narrator and protagonist] story will change your life." I have always been skeptical of such claims, particularly when made of a "self-help" book. And this one didn't (so far) change my life. However, I am probably not the book's primary target audience.

Mentor, written by Tom Pace with Walter Jenkins, told from the point of view of a young man named Tony, age 19, who is sent to jail for a parole violation and faces the real possibil
Cheralyn Salone
Jun 04, 2017 Cheralyn Salone rated it it was amazing
The tips in the book alone were very inspiring to me. This book really shows why everyone should feel empowered amd confident no matter what life throws at them. I highly recommend this book for anyone who feels like they are stuck in life!
Misty Perry
Mar 06, 2017 Misty Perry rated it it was amazing
I don't have not one negative thing to say about this book. I think everyone could get something from reading this boom. It's very inspirational and uplifting. I could read this book a million times over again!
Jennifer Gutierrez
"I can't believe I'm in here again. I promised myself I would never be back," is how Tom Pace decides to introduce you to the setting and the character Tony. If the quote from the book didn't give off the hint of the setting well, Tony is in jail again and if you want to know why open up the book and find out yourself. Just a couple days after Tony is settled in he starts heading up to what they call "group" and there he meets Malcolm, a businessman who faced similar challenges as Tony. Little d ...more
Lisa Biskup
Mar 18, 2015 Lisa Biskup rated it liked it
I picked this book up from a Little Free Library while on my walk the other day. It was a quick read and a nice, simple story.

It is about a 19-year-old boy who ends up in jail for the second time and becomes open to receiving help from a guy who visits the jail each week to talk about personal growth and success with the inmates. Eventually, the young man gets out of jail and works with the group leader, Malcom, who becomes his mentor.

Malcolm teaches Tony about the importance of reading, exerci
Alli
Apr 30, 2013 Alli rated it really liked it
Tom Pace's novel, Mentor: The Kid and the Ceo really did change my life, as it claimed on the back. While the origins of this book are unknown to me, I can't help but feel a very real connection between myself, and Tony. I picked this book up off my counselor's book shelf and stashed it away to read on the bus home. I spent the next four and a half hours glued to the book, having passed my stop several times.

In the novel, Tony is a kid who got jailed for violating his parole. Malcom, a CEO of a
Cheryl
May 31, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I requested this book as a “freebie” in December since I love to read and the book sounded interesting. A lot of freebies I request (especially the good ones like this) never arrive, so I was pleasantly surprised when I received my free copy in January. While I was doing some spring cleaning in May, I came across the unread book and realized I had not read any books during the past year (since my baby was born). I needed to make reading books a priority again and began with this book which is ir ...more
Rushiraj Dixit
Feb 10, 2017 Rushiraj Dixit rated it it was amazing
This book is a very interesting and an inspirational read. The way important life lessons are explained is very impressive. According to me, the reader can relate him/herself with the narrative story. Quoting Steve Forbes " Thank you! Couldn't be more timely!" A must read for all age groups.
Chase
Aug 28, 2007 Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: masterself
I was never a big reader, but this book grabbed my attention and held it all the way through the book. This is a story about a young man who by bad decisions finds himself in jail. While in jail he meets an unlikely friend, a successful CEO. The CEO starts to mentor the kid in jail and then when the kid gets out of jail he continues to mentor him. The book was very simple to read but had a lot of knowledge that is based on great success principles. The book also has a list of recommended reading ...more
bjneary
Dec 27, 2007 bjneary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young adult/college
This book was great, I really liked the author's style of writing. He begins with a 19 year old Tony who narrates the story of how he has just gotten caught (a 2nd time)stealing and has to do time in prison and will have a conviction on his record. He is embarrassed for his mom, but seems to blame everyone but himself. There is group once a week and at first he doesn't go- he's too cool. When he does, he meets Malcolm, who heads the group meetings and changes his life around. Each page of the bo ...more
Amber
Nov 21, 2010 Amber rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Amber by: Stranger
This book arrived to my PO box with a note from a stranger telling me I needed to read it. It sat on my bookshelf for a good year and a half until I finally picked it up and read it in a day. The plot is a little over the top - a 19 year old felon who can't take responsibility for his actions is taken in by a millionaire CEO who teaches him the importance of hard work, regular reading and consistent exercise as keys to personal success and wealth.

The fact that you can breeze through the book in
Heather Hansen
Jun 14, 2013 Heather Hansen rated it did not like it
The premise behind this story is a good one. Actually a five-star one. But the writing is so incredibly bad I couldn't even make myself finish it. It reads like a cheesy 6th grader's love story. Not about 6th graders. Written by a 6th grader. I haven't read writing this poor in a long, long time. It boils down to the fact that if you read and apply principles from the book The Greatest Salesman in the World your life will change. That is true. But the presentation of the story was absolute junk. ...more
Josh
Oct 13, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it
Book review
The book i want to review from the first quarter is the “mentor the boy and the ceo’’ and the book is about a teen who has always made bad choices and gotten into trouble and now he is paying the price by spending 3 months in prison and he meets his mentor and he changes his whole view on life so when he comes back in front of the judge she sees he has changed so she lets him out and when he is out he turns his whole life around he gets a job he runs a marathon and at the end of the s
Katie Beeman
Mar 19, 2009 Katie Beeman rated it really liked it
My father gave me this book when I started mentoring for Big Brothers Big Sisters and it really helped give me direction. I felt it was a little over the top at first with the CEO claiming to help and demanding to take part in decisions, but the overall message is really great - that when someone cares you eventually start caring too! I hope to use a few of these methods in my relationship and if you are thinking of mentoring or if you have someone who might need a little extra help I recommend ...more
Grandpa Joe
Jan 12, 2014 Grandpa Joe rated it liked it
A short, interesting, and easily readable story of a young man imprisoned for a felony and his relationship with his mentor who successfully guides him both during his prison term and subsequently upon his release from prison. The author, Tom Pace, is an Oklahoma City citizen - and mentor. In many ways, he is the Mentor of this book. Although this novel is classified as fiction, it is inspired by real life characters and events.
Katie
Jul 28, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok
If I were a teenager, or in need of these life lessons I suppose I'd have rated this higher. This book seemed full of common sense that, I guess, I'm lucky enough to have learned. Not a whole lot of new info. Very simply written, which is good for wide range of access- but I guess this book just wasn't what I was looking for. I do think it would be good for a teen or YA fresh into college- maybe a good graduation gift. Outside of that demographic, not so much.
Claudia
Sep 10, 2008 Claudia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who need to look for answers in their lives
Recommended to Claudia by: my principal, Jerry Winkle
The prose is clunky but the message is heartfelt. I kept wishing this self-help book woud be the nonfiction book it needed to be. I love the message: we need to help each other; the young help the experienced, the fortunate reach out to the needy. I love the idea of finding connections with others.

The book list at the end is awesome, and the list of postive actions one can take in life is also valuable.
Anja
May 05, 2013 Anja rated it it was amazing
This book is a short read - but so inspirational. I received the book from the author a few years ago - and have given this to others to read. My former manager loved it so much - she ordered it for her children. If you want to read a book that truly makes you think - this book is for you. It inspired me to seek a mentor and to mentor others - as this is the biggest motivation to become better - and to make a difference for others!
Dylan Roberts
I think this would be a good book to read if you're in middle school or high school. However, as a college student the book was pretty mediocre. It was a pretty boring read and in some parts I was rolling my eyes at how cheesy it was. Alas for someone who has hit a low in his/her life it would be a pretty inspirational read. Essentially it is about a guy who just got released from prison with little ambitions in life and turns it all around, with the help of his mentor, and becomes a success.
J.D. Small
Feb 14, 2014 J.D. Small rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I've purchased it for several of my friends. This book is a story that will inspire you and give you hope...based on actual events . . . from failure to success. The book reminded me that a mentor is a helpful way to achieve success in life's six major areas, business home social physical mental and spiritual. I would encourage people of all ages to read and benefit from "Mentor:The Kid and The CEO".
Imelda Torres
Jul 16, 2012 Imelda Torres rated it it was amazing
I know this book was an easy book to read. I also know that for some people this book wasn't anythhing special. Perhaps even boring. Well I gave it 5 stars because I do know 2 people who are currently in prison who can really use this book. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be sending this book to one of them so he can read it. I'm sure he will learn from it and I'm sure he will see his situation in a new way.
Klay
Feb 19, 2010 Klay rated it liked it
This is a very simple and short read. Because of it's simplicity it is a great book to reccomend to those friends who do not like to read much. It tells a story while teaching. That is one of my favorite types of book. I give it three stars because of the ending was lacking a little bit in my opinion. Oh and you can find this book free on the internet, that is how I got it.
Ana Gomez
Oct 06, 2010 Ana Gomez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much when I read and am now reading with my sons. It has many lessons for them. It is entertaining and easy to read. Great for teenagers and adults. I love the layout with one item from a list of recommendations at the bottom of the each page. It has a great list of recommended reading.And a list with 135 things to do, which you can copy to have on hand.
Sonja
Dec 31, 2014 Sonja rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this book 3 1/2 stars but gave it 4 because if only 1 or 2 people are affected by this book and change their lives around, it is well worth it. A very quick read, it offers some very good advice. I'm sure everyone who reads this book knows somebody who needs to read it! We all have lessons to learn.
  • How to Think Like a Millionaire
  • The Janitor: How an Unexpected Friendship Transformed a CEO and His Company
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Even Eagles Need a Push: Learning to Soar in a Changing World
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • Napoleon Hill's Road to Success
  • Brules
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
  • The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)