Start by marking “Inherent Risk” as Want to Read:
Inherent Risk

Inherent Risk (Hojer - Inherent Gifts #2)

Sequel to Inherent Gifts:
Jere never wanted to be a slave owner, but despite that, he and his slave Wren are buidling a life together. Yet, a new addition to their household challenges their relationship. Jealousy, anger, and broken slaves dominate Jere’s world as he continues to navigate a slave state that seems intent on forcing Jere to be a master in more than just name.
Published November 5th 2013 by Fantastic Fiction Publishing (first published October 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Inherent Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inherent Risk

Paul
Sep 06, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
OK this series is getting a little bit more interesting now
Melissa Mendoza
Aug 08, 2016 Melissa Mendoza rated it really liked it
3.5 Risky stars!! Great continuation.... I'm intrigued

Jere and Wren are forging on in their relationship, even though Jere never wanted or needed a slave. But nevertheless, they are moving through it. So when Jere decides to buy a new slave, it throws their relationship up in the air. So now Jere has to save his relationship and the new slave he's acquired... can he do it??

Book two is just as unique and twisted as the first. I will say I think this one is my favorite of the series so far. I like
SueM
An interesting continuation of Cameron's Inherent Gifts, as Jere and Wren continue to juggle their roles as Slave Master/Slave as well as lovers.

In this dystopian society, the only people with any social standing and power are those with pure "mind gifts". Those without any gifts at all remain free but without any real standing or power, while those with physical gifts are put into slavery.

Jere is a doctor with a gift of healing, and arriving from a non-slavery state, he was appalled to find he
Juxian
Nov 10, 2016 Juxian rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-like, slavery
Well, it was a big surprise, and not a good one. Nothing in the blurb warned me that 90% of this story would be about Isis, a female slave Jere buys and tries to help. Really, every scene either had Isis in it, or was about dealing with something Isis did, or talking about Isis. Isis eating, Isis not eating, Isis breaking things, Isis getting back her furniture, Isis hurting herself, Isis doing innumerable stupid things, and so forth, and so on. I'm sorry, sure the author has the right to write ...more
Reflection
'Inherent Risk' follows the development of the relationship between Jere a doctor living in a small slave owning town Hojer with his lover, assistant and slave Wren. Jere finds the idea of slavery repellant, despite inheriting Wren and finding it impossible to set him free or bring him to a non slave state they make the most of their relationship in private whilst conforming to social expectation and propriety in public.

Both men are driven to exhaustion by offering medical interventions not onl
Joyfully Jay
Aug 25, 2016 Joyfully Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

Inherent Risk is the direct sequel to Inherent Gifts and picks up soon after that novel leaves off. Wren and Jere welcome readers back into their home with an easiness that feels like visiting old friends. But the addition of a second slave brings a new level of tension to the storyline. Given how much Jere hates slavery, it’s hard to rationalize his decision to get Isis. It seems like the height of hypocrisy, but then much of Jere’s life in Hojer is the same. Hi
Yblees
Dec 01, 2014 Yblees rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-general
I read volume one and two back to back, although both can probably stand alone.

Stunning character development and world building.
One of the main characters is an alternate reality kind of doctor, and the well researched, realistic medical setting is a real plus. I have a biological sciences background, if not a medical one, and I can't fault any of the science here.

I accept that some suspension of belief is required for alternate reality settings. But too many pseudo-science-fiction writers at
Tamela
It scared me that things could go so wrong by bringing in a third person into their homes. I'm glad all worked out well but it was a bit nerve wracking, which I guess was the way everyone in the story was feeling.
Mickelle
Mickelle rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Slashreader
Slashreader rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Hpstrangelove
Hpstrangelove rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Fantastic Fiction Publishing
Fantastic Fiction Publishing rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Oana
Oana rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Curious
Curious rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Abell
Abell rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Lastewolf
Lastewolf rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Valerie ~Varuca~
Valerie ~Varuca~ rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Lastewolf
Lastewolf rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Draegar
Draegar rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
WhatAStrangeDuck
WhatAStrangeDuck rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Amy J McNeece
Amy J McNeece rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
kathyblue
kathyblue rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Uvarke
Uvarke rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Marisella
Marisella rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
  • Ricochet (The House of Silence #2)
  • Broken Ink
  • In the Blink of an Eye (Juxtapose City 2)
  • Forgive Us (Deliver Us, #3)
  • Shield Mate (Chronicles of Ylandre, #7)
  • November (November, #1)
  • Breaking Jade (A Companion Book to The Fallocaust Series, #1)
  • Lovers in Arms
  • Xperiment
  • Because of Jade (Vasquez & James #5)
  • Knights Out (City Knight #4)
  • Reifu Rising

Hojer - Inherent Gifts (3 books)
  • Inherent Gifts