Start by marking “Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend” as Want to Read:
Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend

Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend

What if the Universe were to send you frequent reminders of the absolute power you have over your life? Author Mike Dooley, an interpreter for the Universe, has done exactly that in Notes from the Universe—a collection of empowering, invaluable truths that can be read front to back or opened at random.

This first book in the Notes from the Universe trilogy teaches its read
Published September 18th 2007 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from the Universe

Nov 30, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it
This book is, at best, a pile of New Age bullshit, and at worst, heretical. The writer takes a solipsistic view of divinity, arguing that the Self is a divine being and that Selfishness is good because it attracts health and wealth and friends, and a bunch of other materialistic goodies like vacation homes and Bentleys. The book was given to me by a friend, whose views obviously differ from my own, in order to inspire me. If I apply Dooley's philosophy to my own life, then I should be able to vi ...more
Mar 16, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all open-minded, open-hearted seekers
The material contained here as "messages from the Universe" is very much in keeping with much of the spiritual/
metaphysical stuff I have been reading and studying the past 20+ years.

However, I appreciate the freshness and charm with which the insights are presented. I had the opportunity to meet author Mike Dooley in November '07 at his "Manifesting Change..." workshop in Austin, Texas, and I can say that he lives this perspective with a tremendous amount of humor, lightness, joy, and peace, so
Tiffany Broaddus
Jan 21, 2009 Tiffany Broaddus rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It seems as though you can flip to any page and feel as though the book is speaking directly to you. Weird yet true. If you're looking for a pick me up then this book is great. Not really much to read, it's all filled with little uplifting quotes to get you through the day. Highly inspirational.
Jan 18, 2016 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I get these Notes each day and Love them!
Dec 16, 2014 CG FEWSTON rated it really liked it
Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend (2003) by Mike Dooley is one of those rare books that uplifts and propels you through a new day with such insight that it will leave you with a secret knowledge that, yes, the Universe does give a damn about you.

And instead of me analyzing or interpreting what’s in this little book that can be read in an afternoon or two, or a page a day for 218 days, I will just share with you what resonated with me. So let’s begin and open ourselves
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 Kara Lane rated it it was amazing
Many spiritual books are very serious; this one is downright funny! I'm big on highlighting, and I found myself highlighting about a third of the "notes from the Universe." A few of my favorites:

"Someone once said, 'No pain, no gain.' And so it became their reality. Bummer, huh?"

And, "Someone bugging you? Nah, way too easy. Just like happiness, disappointment is an 'inside' job."

And, "All things've never really asked for much. Hey, what's up with that?"

Mike Dooley has found a wa
Nikotopia Nikotopia
Apr 19, 2012 Nikotopia Nikotopia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this book, it's just makes me feel Massive to realize that i'm not alone in this Universe. and makes me feel Infinity. why? Because this book like a bestfriend that give you notes, about reaching your biggest dream that you should make it real.

like a sign in our way to our authentic life. i read this book, many times, now i know what should i do with my Life and my authentic dreams.

just read this book, you will feel infinity. and believe that Universe is like a bestfriend that help us t
Jan 10, 2010 Natalia rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this... I could get this from a daily email. I would have liked for it to be more than just a book of quotes... oops... or "notes". I was hoping each 'note' would have had some sort of prologue or discussion and finish off with the 'note'.. but, it was just the note.

Quirky, simple, fun... sometimes profound but, not much more than 'clever'. I felt like it ripped off the greater good for a cheap gimmick. Sort of an extra dollar to be made off of better work.
Jan 29, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
The book has a positive and uplifting message. Basically we need to visualize what we want, don't think about how to get it, and not get upset at the little setbacks in life, and we'll achieve our dreams. That's fine, and may well work! However, the message is delivered in such bite-sized chunks of pithy aphorisms that might be suitable for putting on t-shirts, but don't really persuade or prove the point of the book.
May 12, 2015 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual-books
I didn't get much out of this book. It reminded me of a middle school guidance counselor. I expected it to be more intellectual and therefore my rating is low. It left a lot to be desired for me, given that I think the universe has a lot to give us, but unlike this author, I doubt it cares about the details of our lives.
Jan 01, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
This book was not what I was expecting. Of the 200-some pages, there were but seven quotes that I enjoyed. I anticipated this book to be God-driven, whereas it wasn' was beaconing the reader to appeal to the forces of the Universe for favored outcomes. On page 99, it actually likens God to the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. Not my type of book.
Ken Baumbach
Mar 30, 2012 Ken Baumbach rated it really liked it
Great advice. Dooley ranks up there with Wayne Dyer when it come to motivational speaking. Two minor criticisms: it was a little too short for me and the live production was only okay.

~Ken Baumbach, author of Mayageddon 2012 and The Heretics' Power
Karen Okamoto
May 11, 2008 Karen Okamoto rated it liked it
There were a few little gems of advice from "the universe," that make sense and reaffirm that everything is great right where I am. I like that. Not sure if the cost of the book is worth it; but if you get it from the library, ...nice short read.
Scherry Siganporia
Jan 10, 2012 Scherry Siganporia rated it it was amazing

If you ever ever come across this gift of little notes from the universe...pick it up!! A must read but more importantly, very interesting to internalise each of the little notes...

I know you will love it, we all will...

Much love,
Sherry Conrad
Jan 02, 2014 Sherry Conrad rated it really liked it
Uplifting and humorous messages. I love how quick and easy it is to glean the nuggets of wisdom. You can read one note or a chapter and absorb the message. Every time I revisit the notes I seem to receive another message.
Jun 23, 2009 Jeremy rated it really liked it
“Notes from the Universe” reflects little tidbits of inspiring phrases and thoughts that should give anyone a positive uplifting. Originally, the phrases were sent out by email to a list of subscribers. If you are looking for a little inspiration, this is a great start.
Maria (Ri)
Feb 05, 2011 Maria (Ri) rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a little pick me up. It is nice to open to a random page for a needed message of the moment. I like to have it in my office to use with patients as well.
Oct 16, 2014 Heather rated it did not like it
Oi vey. At least it was a quick read....
This was just a little too fakey-fake for me, and a tad too sweet. Almost like a spoonful of cane sugar in a diet coke. No thank you, my dears. No thank you.
Listen t the universe. It has much good news for you! Would recommend this book to anyone. And a very quick read too
Sep 17, 2014 C.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of those books I come back to time and again and it always seems the pages I randomly open to hold insight or guidance I truly needed.
Mar 25, 2008 Chaunine rated it it was amazing
Funny and often touching. I love opening this book to any random page and feeling like I just got a huge hug from my best friend.
Kathie H
Sep 19, 2011 Kathie H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this review. Just go buy this book & read it. & while you're at it, sign up for Daily Notes from the Universe at Godspeed.
Lisa Tener
Jan 16, 2012 Lisa Tener rated it it was amazing
It puts a smile on my face every day. Inspiring, fun, fills me with a sense of what's possible. Playful, too.
May 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I receive Mike Dooley's e-mails daily. To have them in book form is terrific, I can open a page and read a note randomly. Each passage gives me a sense of peace and well-being.
Nov 04, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Not really my type of book. Some of those advice are good, for sure, but I prefer them to be sent daily to my email rather than read them in a row in a book.
May 25, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This book truly spoke to me. I will consult it often to remind myself how wonderful my life really is.
Laura Simmons
Aug 31, 2015 Laura Simmons rated it it was amazing
Incredibly inspiring, I loved it. I keep this book by my bedside and turn to it when I need a lift. I really should read it everyday!
Aug 01, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Want a daily pep-talk? This book is for you. I loved it. Great to read cover to cover, or just pick it up and flip to any page. That's what I'm doing now for a pick-me-up.
Bonnie Stenger
Dec 09, 2008 Bonnie Stenger rated it liked it
Not what I thought although I liked it. It is more just daily uplifting thoughts and notes. You can open the book anywhere and read something nice. The author has a website too.
Bonnie James
Aug 09, 2012 Bonnie James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
I love all of Dooley's Notes from the Universe. I highly suggest his website,, as well. He sends out daily inspiration from the Universe and it always lifts me.
  • Self-Meditation: 3,299 Tips, Quotes, Reminders, and Wake-Up Calls for Peace and Serenity
  • The Healing Miracles of Archangel Raphael
  • Living the Liberated Life and Dealing with the Pain-Body
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Reiki for Beginners: Mastering Natural Healing Techniques
  • Indigo Children
Mike Dooley is a former PriceWaterhouseCoopers international tax consultant, turned entrepreneur, who's founded a philosophical Adventurers Club on the Internet that's now home to over 350,000 members from over 189 countries. His inspirational books have been published in 23 languages and he was one of the featured teachers in the international phenomenon, The Secret. Today Mike is perhaps best kn ...more
More about Mike Dooley...

“The next time life tosses you a multiples choice test, Meaghan, remember…

1) The more time you give it, the more choices you’ll have.
2) There’ll always be more than one right answer. And,
3) Waiting for divine intervention is almost never a good idea.

Poised for greatness,
The Universe”
“You’re waiting for that magical day when someone makes the connection and recognizes who you really are. Maybe they’ll first catch the sparkle in your eye. Or perhaps they’ll marvel at your insights and the depth of your spirit. Someone who will help you connect the dots, believe in yourself, and make sense of it all. Someone who will understand you, approve of you, and unhesitatingly give you a leg up so that life can pluck your ready, ripened self from the branch of magnificence. Well, I’m here to tell you, your wait is over. That someone, is you.” 2 likes