Start by marking “Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June” as Want to Read:
Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Jane's rich great-aunt takes her to the nicest doll store in town. Jane can choose the doll she wants.

Will she choose Bella Ballerina, the doll who can dance on her toes? Hairiette, who can change the way she wears her hair? Tillie Talkie? Irene-and-Her-Sewing-Machine?

What about that forgotten doll, sitting high on a shelf with the left-over Christmas tree balls? She can't
Library Binding
Published 1969 by Alfred A Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry, Rose, and Christmas-Tree June

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettHitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel FieldUnderstood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield FisherThe Doll People by Ann M. MartinBehind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy
Doll Stories
16th out of 32 books — 17 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloCorduroy by Don FreemanThe Mennyms by Sylvia Waugh
Children's Literature - Sentient Toys
38th out of 97 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
Oct 19, 2007 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scholastic Book Club junkies
Christ, did I hate elementary school. The annoying children, bossy teachers, boring classes. Recess was particularly traumatic; who on earth wants to run around a dirt yard filled with scrap metal when they could be home, watching THE MAGIC GARDEN with a steaming cup of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows? Not me! Like any kid with half a brain, I feigned illness as much as possible to avoid that dreaded hell hole of a classroom.

But the one day of the year you could be sure I showed up was th
Juliette
I loved this book when I was a little girl. The title stuck with me all these years. I am pleasantly surprised to see it was illustrated by Edward Gorey!
Katie
Becky and Lydia are currently in love with this, one of my childhood favs.
Neilie J
One of my all-time favorite books as a little girl. It's funny what sticks with you but the pathos of these abandoned dolls has never left my memory. I felt compelled to buy a used copy of it online today so I could relive the experience. Great story, Edward Gorey illustrations - what's not to love?
Lydia Mitchell
I read this book as a 7- or 8-year-old and I was absolutely obsessed with all stories involving dolls. I'd reenact them with my own precious toys, me as the main protagonist, as a child does. This book was a great one. I can't explain what I liked about it specifically, but it was just a feel-good book that I loved to read.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I loved this book as a kid! I am surprised to find it here - now I NEED to go buy a copy of it. (done!). I have remembered this for years & think of cats as cheaper-then-mousetraps all the time! I had forgotten most of the story, just that I liked it. I am happy to have it now.
Anne-marie Older
I read this book as a child in the 70s . Now my daughter is reading it and asked for more by the same author. We will be reading more of her titles soon.
Tonja Jensen
This is one of the best childrens books ive ever read, my mom read it to me when I was little and I still remember it.
Lori
One of my favorite Scholastic books...still have it!
Kailey
I adore this sweet little story!
Northstar62
Northstar62 marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Angela Mccally
Angela Mccally marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Lydia Rose
Lydia Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Dawn Smith
Dawn Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Kelly Gaudet
Kelly Gaudet marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Doris Orgel is a children's writer. She was born in Vienna, Austria. As a child, she and her family fled to Yugoslavia and finally the U.S. during the rise of the Nazi party in Europe. She attended Radcliffe College from 1946 too 1948, and graduated cum laude from Barnard College in 1950.

In her career, Ms. Orgel has written and translated several fairy and folk tales, as well as served as a trans
More about Doris Orgel...
Devil in Vienna We Goddesses: Athena, Aphrodite, Hera The Princess and the God Nobodies and Somebodies Doctor All-Knowing: A Folk Tale from the Brothers Grimm