Start by marking “Baby” as Want to Read:
Baby

Baby

Baby is a teenager in trouble, and her last chance is a foster home with a couple whose idea of fun is dog sledding. Still, it beats going to the juvenile detention center. Baby comes to love the dogs and takes naturally to sledding, but when her old boyfriend, Bobby, shows up, she can't stop herself from running off with him. Life with Bobby goes bad, and Baby has to make ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Front Street, Incorporated

Nshslibrary
Apr 04, 2012 Nshslibrary rated it really liked it
The book Baby by Joseph Monninger has a dramatic, loving and a family-like feeling. This book is recommended to all young people from ages 14-35. Baby,a 15 year old troubled foster kid whose out of control behavior is highly influenced by her no-good boyfriend. Cindy, her caseworker takes her to a home in New Hampshire where she meets her new foster parents. Her new foster parents, Fred and Mary Potter, seem to be very nice, calm, cool and collected people. They have race dogs, which they race t ...more
Judy
Sep 09, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
Baby is a 15 year old runaway who is put into foster care. She has really cool foster parents who get her hooked on dog sledding. Baby's decision making skills are not the greatest, but she slowly learns she has to make good decisions in order to change her life around. I liked this book because it felt real to me. For 13 yrs and up.
Sandra
May 17, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it
Foster teen gets one last chance with a family who raises dogs for sled racing. Whole new world for me and I really enjoyed the book
Sabrina
Sep 30, 2013 Sabrina rated it liked it
This book is about a teenager named Baby who is constantly being sent to foster homes and then running away with her boyfriend Bobby. She was sent to New Hampshire to another foster family, and they run dogs. "I guess that was the message. No one was going to force me to come in. I had the choice to sit in the cold or walk one of those compass points and find whatever I could, or I could come inside. Big moment..." (pg. 15). This shows that Baby is very defiant and does not want to follow what ...more
Sep 18, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2010
Joseph Monninger recommended this YA book of his when he spoke to our book club, so of course I downloaded it right then to my kindle. This is the story of Baby, a 15 year old girl who's being given her last chance foster home placement with a couple who races sled dogs. While living with them she gains a love for the dogs and the sledding, but her boyfriend shows up she runs away with him (taking one of the dogs along).

I feel that this novel is so honest and real. You see girls like Baby occasi
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Holly for TeensReadToo.com

It's Baby's last chance with foster parents before she's shipped off to a juvenile detention center.

Baby may believe that meeting Bobby is the best thing that ever happened to her. But it happens when Baby's finally at a wonderful place in her life, and Bobby starts to take her away from it all.

Under Bobby's influence, Baby will do just about anything, even take her foster parents, Mary and Fred's, most prized possession -- a sled dog. Her life is spiralin
Christina
Jan 05, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
Baby is a teenager who's been through the foster care system for several years; her mother, a drug addict, deserted her, though Baby hopes to one day see her again. Now Baby is staying at the rural New England home of the Potters, and learning to race sled dogs. She is reluctantly getting settled in, but when her boyfriend shows up to take her away to live on the streets again, she is happy to go with him--and she steals a dog from the Potters. Will she fall into Bobby's drug dealing ways? Will ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2009 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Baby is the book I did my booktalk on. I did kinda like it. The thing that attracted me to this book was that it is about a foster child who goes to live with these amazing people who show her her true worth. If I wasn't a teacher, I'd be a social worker. Abandoned children have a special place in my heart, and this book shares the story of one such child who finds a happy ending. It wasn't as heart-wrenching as I would have liked, but it was good enough.

I don't think there was enough literary m
Lynda
Apr 05, 2016 Lynda rated it liked it
Baby has a last chance of foster care at a couple in New Hampshire who race sled dogs. She tries going back to her boyfriend when she gets the chance, but when it doesn't work out, she gets a second chance. This is realistic fiction with a little hope (and dogs) thrown in. It was ok. - because of the dogs!
Jd
Feb 04, 2008 Jd rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jd by: Bg
Wow. What a great book. I was completely absorbed in the character and her life. I understood her conflict between choosing the foster care family or running away with her boyfriend. I loved her transformation throughout the book. And I really didn't see the most climactic part coming and I wasn't certain if this book would have a happy or sad ending.
Cheryl
Nov 26, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Monninger is an avid dogsledder and hence the descriptions of the races are the most exciting and absorbing parts of the book. The writing is sometimes inelegant, but it is a lovely hopeful story about the restorative power of nature and family.
Ashley
Aug 24, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Bitchy-but-believable protagonist who makes bad choices while living with loving foster home parents. Her passion for racing dogs in the bitter Northern climate and the bond she eventually forms with the family turn things around for her.
Barb
Jun 28, 2009 Barb rated it liked it
Shelves: from-jshs
This book combines a story of a teen girl at her last chance foster home of very special foster parents with dog sledding, which adds some adventure to the plot.
Amanda L.
May 20, 2013 Amanda L. rated it it was amazing
Great YA novel about a foster girl who gets sent to live with a family who raises sled dogs. Unusual setting/situation for a YA novel with a protagonist facing real teen problems.
Bg
Jan 17, 2008 Bg rated it really liked it
Pretty perfect young adult novel. Difficult issues, well presented, compelling, interesting and not formulaic.
Danny M Champlin
Danny M Champlin rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Maya C.
Maya C. rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Marty
Marty rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Shellie Rich
Shellie Rich rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 07, 2008
Paige
Paige rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Anji Anderson
Anji Anderson rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Audrey Snowden
Audrey Snowden rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Summer
Summer rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Jennifer Delarosa
Jennifer Delarosa rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2013
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Suckerpunch
  • Gringolandia
  • Antsy Does Time (Antsy Bonano, #2)
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
  • Bone by Bone by Bone
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • M+O 4EVR
  • Guardian
Joseph Monninger has published twenty novels and three non-fiction books. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, Sports Illustrated and Ellery Queen, among other publications. He has twice received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and has also received a fellowship from the New Hampshi ...more
More about Joseph Monninger...