Start by marking “The ELM at the Edge of the Earth” as Want to Read:
The ELM at the Edge of the Earth

The ELM at the Edge of the Earth

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the idyllically rural American Midwest, between the wars, young David is farmed out to relatives when his mother is hospitalized with a life-threatening illness. A shy and painfully sensitive only child, David slowly blossoms among the lonely, loving adults of the county home, where his Aunt Maude is head cook.
Published August 1st 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The ELM at the Edge of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ELM at the Edge of the Earth

Scott Nash
Oct 06, 2012 Scott Nash rated it it was amazing
The Elm at the Edge of the Earth - By Robert David Hale (not Beverly)

The County home was actually the Genesse County Home (Just south of what is now Batavia, NY) In East Bethany - now the county home is Rolling Hills Asylum. Roy Krause in the Book was a real live person as well as Adeline and the rest of the gang. Pa Fleming - George Fleming was the "Home's" superintendent. Mr. Hale was David in the book and the owner of RHA has spoken to him several times. He confirmed a lot of information rega
Alice
Apr 08, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it
I got this book from the library because in one of May Sarton's journals she was reading it and really liked it. It is old-fashioned, well-written and emotionally resonant, just like Sarton's own books. I enjoyed it very much.
Karen
Dec 21, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is a quiet little book with wonderful characters. It's the story of a little boy temporarily living with an Aunt at the County House, an institution, and the relationships he develops with its residents. Funny, heartwarming and touching.
Blaire
I'm giving up on this one, which I've been reading for quite some time, so I don't feel justified in giving it a rating. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for nostalgia. The author lovingly paints a picture of rural New England (I'm thinking Vermont) in the 1930's, with a quirky, quaint cast of characters. I think it's mostly memoir, although it's called a novel. The pace is non-existent, there's really no plot, and the characters have failed to interest me. I've read about half of its 350 pages, b ...more
Jana
Mar 08, 2014 Jana rated it it was amazing
one of my all time favorite books
Theadora
Sep 09, 2011 Theadora rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Marnie
Feb 19, 2010 Marnie rated it did not like it
I just could not get into this story! I felt disappointed in the lack of connection I felt with most of the characters, save for the lone woman who seemed to have no grip on reality. I wanted more from this, but it never delivered!
Kwoomac
May 12, 2009 Kwoomac rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, nostalgic story of an eight year old boy who lives one precious summer at his Aunt Maude's home-which happens to be a sanatorium. full of quirky friends.
Becca
May 04, 2009 Becca rated it really liked it
I read this in middle school and loved it. I've saved it all these years and have finally decided to give it another whirl.
Terri
Jul 23, 2010 Terri rated it it was amazing
Thanks Peg!
Lfriedman
Wonderful story.
Debbie carvajal
Debbie carvajal marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Mary Berelson
Mary Berelson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sara Barrett
Sara Barrett rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Kristal K
Kristal K marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Chrís Hansen
Chrís Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
ML
ML marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Wendy Sanser
Wendy Sanser rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Lisa Boyle
Lisa Boyle marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Darlene Roth
Darlene Roth rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Desiree Steinbroner
Desiree Steinbroner marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014