Cake

Cake

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  861 ratings  ·  183 reviews
She won't be satisfied with just one bite....

Art student-slash-bike messenger Wren Davis pursues what she wants. And what she wants now is Gregori Ivanov, rock star of the Seattle art scene. With his tattoos, piercings and sensual sneer, Gregori is the ultimate bad boy. Wren's gotten to know the man beneath the body art, too--and it only makes her crave him more.

But Gregor...more
ebook
Published September 17th 2013 by Cosmo Red Hot Reads from Harlequin (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cake

Paula

Cake is a delicious and sexy tale about Wren Davis, a young art student and bike messenger. One of her delivery stops is the wickedly hot, famous Russian artist Gregori Ivanov. Over the course of a year, they formed a close friendship. Wren has longingly watched from a distance as he creates magnificent pieces of art and women come and go out of his life, including his ex-wife. He cultivates a bad boy persona that people come to expect from him. But Wren sees right through the façade and has beg...more

Buddy read with Ange

Just in case you need an incentive to read this story I thought I'd tell you that Lauren Dane based the character of Gregori on aerialist Brandon Pereyda (is anyone else drooling along with me?!):

Wren is an art student who works as a bike messenger part time to pay her way. In the months she has spent delivering parcels to artist Gregori she has fallen hard for the bad boy artist and is determined to make him see her as more than a friend. Gregori is hot property i...more
Nina
Cake by Lauren Dane is a delicious bite size read if you’re looking for a quick and sexy romance.

I thought that Wren and Gregori were both likeable characters who suited each other perfectly. Wren was a sassy, take charge, career-minded woman and Gregori was a talented Russian artist bad boy whom I took an instant liking to. I liked the gradual buildup of Wren and Gregori’s relationship which made it all the more genuine. I also enjoyed their interactions and the dialogue in the story. Plenty of...more
Angela
17 August 2014: $0.99 on Kindle

This is a story that's incredibly easy to read and get immersed in. Both main characters are likeable, and I was glad to watch them find their way together. However, something was missing. I can't even really lay a finger on it, but something kept this from being an amazing read.

Check out my full review at my blog or booklikes

Review to come

Buddy read with Sarah
Jen
Gregori and Wren

Where can I find me a Gregori? Yum. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Lisa
I really enjoyed this novella. Lauren Dane has a way of creating strong heroines who are likeable and confident in their own skin without having to be a bitch (excuse my language).

I liked Wren immediately. She's is sassy, smart and is following her dreams of being an artist. She's not into drama and playing games.

Gregori is a famous artist who has tattoos, piercings and a bad boy rep. He's built walls around his emotions and makes a point of having no personal attachments with women. That is u...more
Nicole
Joint review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/09/10/...

MinnChica: I adored Dane’s writing, so anytime she puts out anything, I’m all over it. Given the fact that Gregori is tatted, pierced, and has a mohawk, well… I couldn’t put this quick novella down. I adored the romance between these two, and thought that Dane did a fabulous job telling us a sexy and sweet story in only 80 short pages. I have to say though, I really hope that we get to see more from this group of friend...more
Christine
Cake by Laura Dane

4 Stars
First I want to say I really liked this book. There was no drawn out scenes, the heroine wasn’t whiney about not getting what she wanted and there was no secret waiting to be revealed. It was refreshing. With that being said it was wayyyyyy too short!!!! I have had make out sessions that lasted longer than this read and it frustrated me!!!! I mean this in a good way…I wanted more!!! Wren is a bike messenger who works her ass off making deliveries while trying to become a...more
Emily
Wren Davis is an art student as well as a bike delivery messenger who has befriended notorious artist, Gregori Ivanov. Gregori has a reputation of being a hardened lover as well as temperamental, but Wren sees a whole different side to him. When she shows up, they talk and have tea and cookies or sometimes cake, which has Wren supporting a huge crush on the artist.

Gregori doesn't know how to classify his relationship with Wren, on one hand he tries to put her in the employee compartment, but she...more
Parajunkee
I do believe I am Grigori.... Ok I'm not hot, Russian, a guy , or über rich successful artist... Ok I should probably rethink that statement.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Strong female character who follows her heart and a hero that is to die for.

Opening Sentence: She heard the music as she ascended the stairs and knew he’d be working.

The Review:

There are not many novellas that I can truly say that I remember after an hour much less days after reading them. This is a stellar exception. The story was so well built and consuming that I tumbled into the world and remained there until the final words were read.

S...more
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
More like a 2.75/5 stars. Full review to come.

Full Review

Wren Davis has been working as a bike messenger just to make some extra cash while she's in art school. While on her rounds she meets and becomes friends with famous artist Gregori Ivanov, who has a bit of a reputation. Wren decides she wants nothing else more than Gregori, but first she needs to get him to leave behind all the women who burned him in the past - namely his crazy ex-wife who always comes crawling back again. Can Wren get Gr...more
Nika *YA Guru*
My Review:

This is a selection from the Cosmo's Red Hot Reads and boy does this book scream RED HOT!! This is my first Lauren Dane book and it will not be my last. This was a treasure and my first novella that wasn't tied to another series. I enjoyed this steamy read. This novella captured a lot of emotion in a short book and also a lot of steamy sex.

I love strong female characters and Wren is exactly that. She knows what she wants and goes for it no questions asked. She's strong confident and f...more
Beverly Diehl
Who doesn't love cake? I can almost always find room for a slice when it's this tasty.

Although, the frequently nibbled sweets in this novella were more macaroons than cake.

Disclaimer #1 - I received a free ARC of this novella via NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for an honest review.

Disclaimer #2 - I'm (barely) acquainted with Lauren Dane; I hosted her during her Once and Again blogtour, and enjoyed drinks at the same table for a few hours last year.

What I loved about this novella: the roman...more
Sandy

CAKE by Lauren Dane is her latest contemporary romance storyline. CAKE is a stand alone novella and is a welcome addition to your reading library.

Wren Davis has been attracted to Gregori Ivanov for a very long time and knows that Gregori feels something for her in return. Their relationship is friendly, flirty and never crosses the line from friendship to sex. But Wren wants something more from Gregori and she refuses to be pushed aside.

Gregori’s failed marriage and subsequent relatio...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B-

Wren, a messenger in downtown Seattle, has been delivering papers to Gregori for a while now and while they’ve become friends, she’s always had some deeper feelings for the brooding artist. Gregori, used to hangers on and people in his life being fake, including his toxic ex-wife, doesn’t let anyone get close. But there’s something about Wren and how she sees him that’s different and makes him take notice.

I really enjoyed Wren. She knows wh...more
Alycia
Wren Davis, a talented art student and bike messenger wants one thing, to take her friendship with the famous artist and bad boy, Gregori Ivanov. Gregori oozes sex appeal, has the bad boy, devil may care artist facade down pat. But that is not who he really is. After having a hard childhood and having adult relationships where people just use him for their own gain, he has a hard time keeping Wren at bay. Wren is not like anyone Gregori knows. She'd beautiful, talented in her own right, and want...more
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
I really enjoyed this story and although it was short, it definitely didn’t lack in romance, story, characters or sex!! ;)

Gregori was such an interesting character not only in appearance but in attitude. Tattooed, alpha, muscled, colored mohawk, pierced ;), Russian, sexy, charming, smart, confident, artistic and he loved his sweets. He was totally yummy and I could not get enough of him. *sigh*

Wren was a great character also and I loved these two together. She was so strong and smart and sassy a...more
Bookie | The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★★
VERY GOOD: The characteristics of a 4 star book include: a great story; I loved the characters; and there was an interesting plot and unique story elements; there may have been a few odd things kept the story from being amazing. I would read it again and I would recommend it to a friend.
My Thoughts:
I actually enjoyed Cake very much and it ranks somewhere between a 3½ and 4 for me but I'm going with 4★'s because I enjoyed the liked the characters and the pace of the story.

For oth...more
Jessica
Reading about art student Wren and her aspiring career was quite entertaining. She is a woman that knows what she wants, and what she doesn’t want. And best of all- she knows how to get it. Gregori, the down-to-earth, bad boy artist is the object of lust in this books and it stands to reason why. He is sexy, smart, and deep. His intimacy issues can be rather annoying and predictable at times, but Wren, being the saucy little number she is, spices things up a bit.

Wren also has her cousin, Kelsey...more
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)
4 1/2 stars

Gregori is a bad ass artist; he only shows people his public persona and doesn't get close to women. Wren is an art student working as a bike messenger; she has wanted Gregori for a while and is ready to make her move. One night isn't enough for either of them can Wren show Gregori that things can be different with her, will Gregori realize that he needs Wren or will they both end up broken? I really like...more
Allison
Sometimes you just want to read smut. This was better than 50 Shades (could it get worse?) but, still, not good. I got so tired of her use of the word "boobs," even more tired than her use of the word "imperious," which kept sticking out like a sore thumb. Where are the well-written erotic romance novels? Even the literate among us get horny.
*Harlequin through NetGalley gave me an ARC copy of this book for my honest review*

Cake is a delicious treat from Lauren Dane! I spent the entire story lusting after Gregori Ivanov , he was everything I want in a hero, sexy, dominant, and caring. Wren Davis was strong, knew what she wanted and wasn’t afraid to go after it. I love a girl who’s not afraid of who she is or what she wants. Naive, virginal heroines have become so poplar and I love that Ms. Dane stayed away from that! These two heated...more
İlkim

I like Lauren Dane's books, but this one wasn't for me. I couldn't get into the story and sometimes I got bored. The characters were average, Gregori could be more bad boy maybe. He was so coward to get into a relationship, I thought I might strangle him. It was short, but still everything happened slowly for me. Wren was better, but she was ultimately shy about to share her work with him.

And the...more
Mnix
Wren Davis is an art student who pays the bills with various jobs but one of those is being a bike messenger. One of the clients she looks forward to visiting the most is a famous artist who has grabbed the art world. Wren knows that Gregori is much more than the sneer and tattoos he shows the world and with each visit she discovers more of who the real Gregori really is.

Gregori Ivanov is attracted to Wren and he always makes sure that he has some of the sweets and tea she loves when she comes t...more
Livia
Before you get into this e-novella there's a letter from the author to the readers. I'm glad that I read it and didn't skip over it. She makes a declaration about Gregori I that absolutely loved. "He's worth knowing, and she's worth being loved..."

Our main characters are both artists but in different stages of their artistic development and careers. Wren is still in art school and works as a bike messenger. Gregori is a Russian immigrant and a successful artist who was fortunate enough to sell h...more
Kay Pratt
Wren is an artist who puts herself through college by working as a bike messenger. She gets to know Gregori Ivanov as she delivers the imported cakes and sweets he loves to order. Gwen sees past his wild Mohawk and tattoos to a more sensitive guy under it all. She decides she wants Gregori in her life and in her bed. Gregori is newly divorced and harassed by the ex-wife from hell. He doesn’t want to get involved for a while because he wants more than just sex. Wren has made her mind up, and what...more
Jenn
This is a bit of a departure from my usual reviewing fare but I requested it from Harlequin so here we go. I’m actually a big fan of contemporary romance, though I usually read more contemporary romantic suspense, and I’ve heard good things about Dane’s contemporary work so I wanted to give her a shot. What better than a steamy novella from Harlequin’s new Cosmo Red-Hot Reads line?

“Red hot” is definitely a good descriptor for this novella. There is sexual tension and sex galore in CAKE. Wren and...more
Karen
LOVED LOVED LOVED the heroine is this novella.

She was confident and went after what she wanted but also knew when she deserved more from her man.

Good stuff!

I feel a little misled though - there wasn't enough cake in the story lol

This was my first story by Dane but it won't be my last.
The World of Maya...: December- Cake by Lauren Dane- Buddy Read 13 9 Dec 03, 2013 08:24AM
  • Everything You Need to Know
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Fearless
  • First Temptation (Covert Affairs, #1.3)
  • Satisfaction
  • Undercover Professor
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • Snowbound with the CEO
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • High Passion (Adrenaline Search & Rescue, #2)
  • A Good Time (The O'Leary's, #2)
  • Never Trust a Pirate (Scandal at the House of Russell, #2)
  • The Winning Season
  • The Best Man
  • Her Best Laid Plans
  • Dare Me
  •  The Tantric Principle
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest,...more
More about Lauren Dane...
Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1) Giving Chase (Chase Brothers, #1) Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) Taking Chase (Chase Brothers, #2) Making Chase (Chase Brothers, #4)

“You, little bird, are welcome to any and all of my cookies. I’d even share my cake with you.” 2 likes
“Art isn’t about where it ends up. It’s about the creation.” 2 likes