Start by marking “The Mindset List of the Obscure: 74 Famously Forgotten American Icons From A To Z” as Want to Read:
The Mindset List of the Obscure:  74 Famously Forgotten American Icons From A To Z

Today’s teens and twentysomethings have never seen a real airplane ticket. To them, point-and-shoot cameras are so last millennium and “Star Wars” is a movie, not a defense strategy. The world views of today’s young and old have never been more different.

In this entertaining romp through American culture, the creators of the globally acclaimed Beloit College Mindset List
Published September 2nd 2014 by Sourcebooks (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mindset List of the Obscure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindset List of the Obscure

Apr 09, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
ARC for review.

Takeaway? I'm old. These bits of pop culture come from the 1930s to the mid-1960s, so before my birth, but not so far in the distant past - out of the 75 there were only 11 with which I was totally unfamiliar (of course I've always read voraciously, especially trivia books). That said, I'm guessing most would be "forgotten" by today's 20 year olds and the edition 20 years from now would include "Laverne and Shirley" and Pop Rocks.

I enjoyed (but could have done without the silly
Nov 21, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.75 of 5

I really like bathroom-reader type books, and that's what this is. Miscellaneous information given in short, easy to read snapshots.

Young Mr. McBride and Mr. Nief made two mistakes with this book... first, not all of these seventy-four articles are obscure (as the title says), and second, these are not "forgotten" -- at least not to some of us who remember many of these.

But other than what I might consider a tad bit of a
I enjoyed this. However, I don't agree that everything in this book is obscure.

I will post my full review closer to the publication date
Douglas Lord
Oct 17, 2014 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing
With apologies, as I don’t know if this was intended, but McBride and Nief have developed the Next Great Dude Bathroom Reader (replacing Rob Neyer’s Big Book of Baseball Blunders). Presenting 75 cultural oddities dating from the 1930s to the early 1970s, this is trivia (but not trivial) in punchy three-page entries.The content is a mini-census of pop culture on all sort of forgotten things from collect calls to slide rules and from coonskin caps to Don Ameche. It’s a real mishmash, with TV (Howd ...more
Aug 26, 2014 Theediscerning rated it really liked it
Having read a very similar book from the UK that was offered as a netgalley copy about the same time, it's extraordinary how similar yet different the books are. The British one, 21st Century Dodos, is a bright and breezy low-brow journalism version, with very personal and personable entries about the media sources, chocolate bars and so on that the current youth's parents have lost during their lifetime. This List is very similar in intent – cataloguing that about which the modern young just do ...more
Amanda Wilson
Sep 02, 2014 Amanda Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-gathering
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review

Being the kind of person who has spent way too much time being obsessed with vintage and antique things and ideals, most of the things on this sizable list are things I have heard of. Not that it makes this book any less fun! But I also absolutely love books that are essentially giant lists of 'useless' trivia.

After the usual introduction to what this book is, we are tossed headfirst into the obscure! Each obscure thing (be it stores t
I kind of get what they're trying to do. The whole "whoa-ho, look at all those references the kiddies won't get!" doesn't really work, because entertainment is a self-obsessed, self-referencing, snake that eats its own tail. Walter Winchell's greeting is echoed in Steven Colbert's nightly welcome; Arthur Murray is how Johnny became a dance instructor in Dirty Dancing; Watergate is referenced in every damn scandal since it occurred. These are not obscure references, yet they are in this book. Som ...more
Jun 02, 2014 OutlawPoet rated it really liked it
A Trip Down Memory Lane

This is one of those books that is full of fascinating nuggets of history. Although I read it straight through, it also lends itself to picking out those people, phrases, or things that strike a chord with you.

Now, very few of the things listed in the book were in my direct experience growing up. I do remember 8 tracks and Betamax, but much of what is listed are things I've heard about from my parents and grandparents.

And it was a great deal of fun reading about them and l
Am Y
Dec 27, 2014 Am Y rated it really liked it
Interesting read, presented in a very accessible format. You can read the chapters in any order, and each chapter is a bite-sized chunk of info 3-4 pages long. The "inspired guess by today's youngsters" section was quite funny (though in some cases a bit off or far-fetched), and I thought the "example of usage" section could be done better, but all in all the book gave me an entertaining glimpse into yesteryear's trends.
Jenn S.
Aug 23, 2014 Jenn S. rated it liked it
I would gather that by forgotten they mean really old. Some I knew about, others just the name, a few not at all. It is worded in a humorous way which I am not fond of. My guess is they did it that way to make the read less dry and boring. I'd use this in my homeschooling and recommend it as required reading in schools. I was able to view an evaluation copy in exchange for my opinion.
Oct 08, 2014 Delan rated it really liked it
Its always nice to learn about people in the past and the history that comes with them. I loved reading about the pioneer figures who helped shape modern life. This book is a nice way of learning about 74 American icons that were quickly forgotten by today's modern society.

***I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.***
Kady Sykora
Nov 11, 2014 Kady Sykora rated it really liked it
A good look at stuff that a lot of younger people might not know about, I know I learned a few things.
Tracy Canuck
Feb 02, 2015 Tracy Canuck rated it liked it
A trip down memory lane of Americana phrases, many lost through time. Interesting to see some of their origins
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Kate rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Wendi Manning
Wendi Manning rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2014
Jenn White
Jenn White rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Samuel Proulx
Samuel Proulx rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
R.l. rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Marjorie rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Lisa Urso
Lisa Urso rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Taylor rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Alice rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
  • Monopoly: The World's Most Famous Game--And How It Got That Way
  • Timeless Toys: Classic Toys and the Playmakers Who Created Them
  • Bullying Under Attack: True Stories Written by Teen Victims, Bullies + Bystanders
  • Lutheranism 101
  • Lincoln's Spymaster: Allan Pinkerton, America's First Private Eye
  • Artspeak: A Guide to Contemporary Ideas, Movements, and Buzzwords, 1945 to the Present
  • Spinglish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language
  • Holding Fast to Dreams: Empowering Youth from the Civil Rights Crusade to STEM Achievement
  • Stolen from the Garden: The Kidnapping of Virginia Piper
  • The Discomfort Zone: How Leaders Turn Difficult Conversations Into Breakthroughs
  • Tilt: A Skewed History of the Tower of Pisa
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille
  • The James Beard Cookbook
  • The Lost Chalice: The Epic Hunt for a Priceless Masterpiece
  • Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen
  • Darling, You Can't Do Both
  • The Best American Essays 2005
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
Tom McBride is a professor of English, and Keefer and Keefer Professor of Humanities at Beloit, where he was also the long-time director of the colleges first year students program. Ron Nief is the former Public Affairs director of Beloit College who developed the Mindset List in 1998."
More about Tom McBride...