Start by marking “Room for Two” as Want to Read:
Room for Two

Room for Two

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  32 reviews
On a November afternoon, Abel's world comes to an end when he finds his pregnant wife is dead, a victim of suicide. Their premature baby rushed to the hospital, only to die nine days later. A treu story, Room for Two follows Abel as he deals with his grief and anger, and guilt that accompant the tragedy. With time Abel begins to understand that only if he lets go of the pa...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about Room for Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room for Two

Becky
Because I know the author and his wife...this story is especially poignant. I admire the courage it took for Abel to write this story. His choice to go forward with the support of his wife is inspirational. We really never know the heartache others suffer. Writing this book is such a help to those who deal with the heartbreak of suicide.
Shelley
I had suggested this book for my book club - I'm so glad everyone vetoed it. This book is a true story about a man whose wife commits suicide and how he recovers from it. My book club didn't want to read such a seemingly depressing book, but I gave it a chance. The story was okay, but the writing was awful. Laughably bad in some parts.
Roseanne Wilkins
Abel Keogh's book, The Third, was on LDS Publisher Blogspot. After I read the first chapter link on his website, I looked him up on Barnes & Noble. I was definitely interested in reading The Third, and I was intrigued by this book. I don't normally read books about other people's tragedies. It's too much like stepping in and staring at their misery. However, I have a son who struggles with depression. I was hopeful that Abel's book could give me some insight. This book reads like a well-writ...more
Headacheslayer
Heartbreak and healing

This powerful memoir deals with the suicide of Keogh's first wife.

I was going through a very dark time myself when I found this book. Something made me flip to the first few pages.....where I realized his late wife and I share the same first name. I couldn't help but imagine the impact on my family if they lost me.

I don't believe in coincidences; I believe this book came to me exactly when I needed it. It's had a profound effect on me.

I give this five stars for the impact...more
Brooke
Is it possible to feel empathy for someone and yet still dislike them? Based on my reaction to this book, the answer is yes. This story was horribly sad, and I truly felt for the author. However, his personality really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was truly obnoxious how often he commented on bodies of the women he was dating. Having gone through the death of my sister recently and knowing that my brother in law will ultimately remarry (and truly wanting that for him), I thought this bo...more
Candace Salima
Jun 29, 2008 Candace Salima rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to everyone.
Recommended to Candace by: I picked it up at a writers conference after hearing the author
I first learned about Room for Two by Abel Keogh at the CFI Writers Conference at the beginning of June. Abel spoke on internet marketing, which I have a special fondness for, so I paid attention. When he told his story I was inexplicably touched by his positive attitude after such a monstrous tragedy in his life.

When a break came around I went and picked up his book and read the back. It was something I was interested in reading so I opened the first page to see if I liked his writing style.

I b...more
Joyce
Aug 03, 2008 Joyce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joyce by: Candace Salima
Shelves: non-fiction
Please take this, not as a criticism, but as a mere comment about this book: If you are a “sensitive” reader, you might find the first three chapters of **Room for Two** a bit disturbing. Admittedly, I did myself (because I’m a “sensitive reader”).

That is by no means to say that there is not much of great value in Abel Keogh’s retelling of his journey to understand the reasons for his wife’s suicide, his struggles to forgive both her and himself for opportunities missed, and his difficult journ...more
Cheryl
Many years ago Abel Keogh's wife, Krista took her life as well as the life of their daughter's Hope. Abel was only twenty-six years old when this sad situation took place. While everyone around Abel was trying to figure out why Krista did it, Abel was grieving his wife and precious daughter. Three months later Abel discovered he didn't want to he alone anymore. He was ready to start dating again. Abel had reservations as it seemed too soon. Abel went out on a few dates with a couple different wo...more
Irishcoda
Just a little background first: I've been reading Abel's blog online since he was on diary-x. I bookmarked it because we had one thing in common I knew of right away: we were both widowed and then had remarried. Even though there are differences in the ways we lost our spouses many of the feelings we had in the aftermath were very similar. Abel subsequently moved to another website and called that blog Running Forward which I think is a very apt name. Over the years Abel and his second wife have...more
Larissa Taylor
When I found out this was a memoir and not a work of fiction, it broke my heart. Knowing that people actually have to go through things like this is a very sad thought! I thought the story telling part was very vivid, however there many grammatical errors and typos. Also, he has a habit of using very short, choppy sentences that seem more like they were written by children rather than an adult.
Morgan
Room for Two is my favorite book (and I don't like to read a whole lot)! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone! It breaks my heart and makes me want to cry every single time! Able has many ups and downs just like anyone else, I also like this book because it is a true story and that makes this book even ten times better than it was before(and this book is already way good)!
Julie
Once I picked up this book it was hard to put down.
A loved one's death is emotionally devastating and heart wrenching. When a loved one commits suicide, your reaction is more complicated and can trigger intense emotion. And on top of that, losing your newborn daughter. I was wishing I was there to just hug him.
Abel takes you through a large portion of that grief. The strong physical and emotional exhaustion and in time the carefulness in protecting his own well-being. I'm glad Abel found Juli...more
Shirley
Jul 15, 2008 Shirley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever lost someone they love
Recommended to Shirley by: Writing Conference
This book captivated me from the first page. As it went along, the pace slowed a little, and there was some repeated internal dialog. Yet I learned things from this book that I don't know how I could have learned any other way. It is an honest look at feelings and ways of dealing with nearly unimaginable grief and loss. One of my family members committed suicide, and I felt guilty because he didn't know how much I loved him, or else he wouldn't have done it. He couldn't have. Yet it wasn't my fa...more
Morgan
I loved this book! This is my favorite book! I think that i have read this book more than 10 times and it makes me cry every single time.
Micah
Ida Cortes
I bought this book in hopes of some insight to marrying my husband who had been previously widowed. While I feel for Abel's situation, there was no real insight as to the complexities of marrying a widower. And absolutely no similarities to my husband - largely because Abel's wife died unexpectedly and my husband's first wife battled cancer for several years. The dynamic was completely different. Still, I would have hoped for more revelations from Able and his second wife.
Lisacjackson
Since I know the author personally, this book for me was full of excruciating emotional pain from the sympathy I felt for my dear friends. It was well written, gripping and can't-put-it-down (because I wanted to get to the happy ending). It did (phew) have happiness in it along with the sadness. I liked the happy parts a lot. I am so glad Abel and (well, I'd best not put in a spoiler here) "M.G." found happiness in each other!
Alissa
Because this book is a true story about a man who loses his pregnant wife to suicide, his journey through his grief, and his way back to normalcy, it's not a book that I would normally pick up. A friend of mine lent it to me and I thought I would have to make myself pick it up and read it each day to finish it. I was surprised by how compelling of a read it was. It was insightful on a subject that I haven't given much thought to.
Jon Cox
The first chapter of this book is extremely hard to read, especially knowing it is true, and that anyone, especially a friend went through this experience. Keogh does a good job of mixing dialogue and description. His writing is well paced and the issues he raises are fascinating. In the end, he helps the reader come to the same peace that he has reached, and move on from such a tragedy in a short amount of time.
Sharon
I enjoyed this book, I read at a slow pace not because of the book it was wonderful. The book had sadness and you can fill his grieve but also Abel's ability to follow the prompting of the Lord to guide him to Julianna. I true test to his faith. While he states Hope is his child he will never raise, he will be given the opportunity after the second coming and will be with her in eternity.
Tyler
This is an honest, heartfelt memoir about a real, imperfect man facing a real-life tragedy when his pregnant wife commits suicide. The narrative is straightforward in telling how he feels and copes with his grief and the process of learning how to make peace with the past and move into the future. I found it very touching.

8/10
Tracy
Wow. I actually had to opportunity to meet the author. After reading this book there were so many things that I learned about love, about human suffering, and about learning to live with what is given to you. So many things in this life are thrown upon us and we learn who we are by how we react to them.
Amber Childs
Being in a relationship with a man who has lost his wife I was compelled to read this book. I read it a few years ago...went into surgery to have my gallbladder removed and read the book in just a few hours while i was waiting for surgery... did not want to put it down!
Doug
I didn't know if I would like this book when I picked it up, but I LOVED IT. Abel knows how to write, and his writing style kept me up all night reading the book. I can't wait for his next book to come out. I will be first in line.
Charlynn
Ever since I went to his workshop I have wanted to read this book. Abel Keogh's memoir is fascinating, with some good life lessons. But the book isn't preachy, and it kept me interested the whole time.
Rebecca Blackson
Oh tragic to read, but with a lot of healing, too. I thought it was really honest, and I am amazed that the human spirit is resilient enough to go through such a tragedy and find love again.
Suzana
I really enjoyed this book but had to keep reminding myself that it was not a work of fiction. This is a true story which was so heartbreaking at times but worth the read.
Allison
While there wasn't anything particularly spectacular about this book, I did enjoy it, and I gained some insight from it about dealing with suicide within the family.
Mike
My review and Author interview can be found at http://mindofmurph.blogspot.com/2008/...

Thanks!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Abel is the author of the novel The Third, the memoir Room for Two, and the relationship guides Dating a Widower: Starting a Relationship with a Man Who's Starting Over and Marrying a Widower: What You Need to Know Before Tying the Knot.

During the day, Abel works in corporate marketing for a technology company. His main responsibilities include making computers and software sound super sexy, codin...more
More about Abel Keogh...
The Third Dating a Widower: Starting a Relationship with a Man Who's Starting Over Marrying a Widower: What You Need to Know Before Tying the Knot The Ultimate Dating Guide for Widowers Life with a Widower: Overcoming Unique Challenges and Creating a Fulfilling Relationship